Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#7081 CheapThomas

CheapThomas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I didn't mean to ignite a debate about which storefront is better. I just find it difficult, personally, to use Amazon's Digital VD sale pages. Someone mentioned it's like upending a toybox and that's precisely it. It's super-hard to know when something new goes on sale and the dates are all over the place - witness the half dozen people every few pages that are upset they missed a sale item.

I'm not trying to pile on. My first post was just to try to give some feedback on the site. I've said enough, I think.

Tony's been pretty receptive about feedback on the storefront and the game download page - (didn't he add the DRM snippets mostly from our feedback?) - but I get the sense it takes lots of time for the appropriate wheels to turn in amazon. The digital downloads section just feels like a service that's grown way faster than amazon anticipated - it was OK last year when you could browse through the entire listing but now with all the bundles and the steam/non-steam variations, it's getting too much.

what I've wanted for a while is a list that shows all the recently added games to the service - not just recently published but added; there's tons of older games they are adding which mostly go unnoticed.

#7082 CheapThomas

CheapThomas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Deus Ex: HR base game, augmented edition, and Missing Link DLC have been PM'ed, but not the Tactical Enhancement or Explosive Mission packs.

Pretty please, Tony!?!?

and the original GOTY is also up on amazon with a nice discount. http://www.amazon.co...eus ex download

didn't see this on the original post but for anyone looking for the hitman series, the triple pack is now on sale (STEAM keys): http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_vg_2

#7083 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

The idea is that the big bargains are had when Amazon price matches Steam then you take a further $5 off of that. That's how it worked last year.

Not entirely. Amazon had it's own mini sale using the featured games from the list. Remember the EA games for $7 before the coupon was applied?

Here's a list of games I bought using the coupon without any STEAM price matches:
BulletStorm: $2 [$7 before coupon]
Battlefield:BC2: $2 [$7 b4 coupon]
Rome: Total War: FREE [$2.50 before coupon]
GTA:IV: FREE [$5 before coupon]
Assassin's Creed 1: FREE [$5 b4 coupon]
Duke Nukem Forever: $1 [$6 before coupon]
I'm pretty sure they also had BF3 and MW3 at $30 before coupon which brought them down to $25 each. [I didn't buy em]

Then there were the STEAM price matches:
Shogun 2: $2.50 [pmed at $7.50 b4 coupon].
Medal of Honor: FREE [pmed at $5 b4 coupon].

We can't really critique the January Coupon Sale until it begins.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#7084 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Any thoughts about Sonic Episode 4?

I thought Sonic Episode 4 part 1 was dreadful

Part 2 was great.

Yeah, Part 1 was a little odd with the way Sonic moved. You could tell it was a different team. Some of the levels were a little irritating. Having said that, it's still a decent platformer (if not the greatest ever Sonic game) and worth a look. Part 2 (as is mentioned above) seems to have been received much more favorably (plus together with 1 unlocks Metal Sonic).

I snapped up a copy of 2 to go with my 1. I'm happy.

76561197971332172.png

#7085 Zarkon

Zarkon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Guess Amazon isn't price-matching the Microsoft store on some of the PC titles :)

#7086 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Amazon Digital Download doesn't match physical sales, anyway, which is what the Microsoft store was selling.

#7087 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

i keep reading mention of a $5 coupon and January. what is the deal?

#7088 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

i keep reading mention of a $5 coupon and January. what is the deal?

Pretty much most every Amazon Digital Download game title you buy comes with a $5 coupon you can use (one per game) in January on select titles:

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000728511

(Note that more titles can be added between now and then and the current prices aren't necessarily the price they will be in January.)

#7089 jgiovanni

jgiovanni

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

@Tony,

Any chance in matching Hotline for $5?

jgiovanni.png

Please check out DCUVHD.com for all UV/ITunes movie trading needs!

#7090 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

@Tony,

Any chance in matching Hotline for $5?

Probably not, he said Amazon wasn't going to match flash sales.

#7091 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Pretty much most every Amazon Digital Download game title you buy comes with a $5 coupon you can use (one per game) in January on select titles:

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000728511

(Note that more titles can be added between now and then and the current prices aren't necessarily the price they will be in January.)

Exactly, the 5 dollar coupons from last year is how I got Duke Nukem for 50 cents. Whether or not it was worth 50 cents is another question.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#7092 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I paid $1 for it... I guess I could say I played Duke Nukem Forever!

@Tony,

Did you all use to carry a Steam version of Alpha Protocol (I believe it is Sega published)? Would like to see that one of these days (okay, December) if possible. Package it with Hell Yeah and Viking and you got a sale from me!

#7093 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

You guys who were bitching about navigating the Amazon game downloads website need to learn how to use its features better.

For example here is a list of all of the Square Enix digital download games sorted by price low to high. You can further filter the list by getting just items on sale by ticking the "10% or more discount" box.

While the Amazon website is far from perfect, it is a lot more flexible than you think once you learn how to use it properly.

#7094 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Tow Truck Simulator - Mini Review:

Wow! I mean the reviews on Amazon hinted this was a pretty bad experience, but hands on just confirmed it!

I think I am an hour in and yet to tow a car :(

You get a "Game Over" prompt every few minutes because if you touch any other car with your truck the game instantly ends! These Europeans also use some sort of hook system to lift cars from the roof onto the tow truck. Had this game had any type of crash physics system I'm pretty sure it would have shown a totaled car as I constantly slammed the hook plate on the top trying to get it to stick :)

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7095 jrodri86

jrodri86

Meh, i'll wait to get it for a cheaper price.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Partly because there's not that many games in there that interest me at all. Secondly because I expect I might get at least half of them for the resulting price on the Xmas sales already. Look at Dark Souls, $26.79 -$5 doesn't even beat the promo they just had for $15

And what exactly makes you think the game won't be for $15 on January? It's all a matter of choosing what you want to buy right now and what you think you can get later. I didn't jumped on the Dark Souls deal for example, $15 was a great price for it but i now i won't play it right now, same thing with the Walking Dead. I will wait to see what the January sale brings, i now Amazon won't dissapoint.

Tretton.png

#7096 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Tow Truck Simulator - Mini Review:

Wow! I mean the reviews on Amazon hinted this was a pretty bad experience, but hands on just confirmed it!

I think I am an hour in and yet to tow a car :(

You get a "Game Over" prompt every few minutes because if you touch any other car with your truck the game instantly ends! These Europeans also use some sort of hook system to lift cars from the roof onto the tow truck. Had this game had any type of crash physics system I'm pretty sure it would have shown a totaled car as I constantly slammed the hook plate on the top trying to get it to stick :)

When I see all these games I wonder why they are made and how they can be successful at all. It seems like there are a million of them, simulating all sorts of different everyday routine, or not so routine activities. But the fact that there are so many make me believe they must be successful in some manner, otherwise they wouldnt exist right?

#7097 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

You guys who were bitching about navigating the Amazon game downloads website need to learn how to use its features better.

For example here is a list of all of the Square Enix digital download games sorted by price low to high. You can further filter the list by getting just items on sale by ticking the "10% or more discount" box.

While the Amazon website is far from perfect, it is a lot more flexible than you think once you learn how to use it properly.

CAG Newbie here. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#7098 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

CAG Newbie here. ;)

Well if you spent a lot less time at CAG and a lot more time at Amazon, you would know how to use its search feature better. Being a veteran on CAG doesn't make you an authority on how to navigate Amazon or anywhere else.

#7099 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

If you're telling people they need to learn how to use a storefront so they can buy things, there's clearly something wrong.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#7100 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

When I see all these games I wonder why they are made and how they can be successful at all. It seems like there are a million of them, simulating all sorts of different everyday routine, or not so routine activities. But the fact that there are so many make me believe they must be successful in some manner, otherwise they wouldnt exist right?

They can be pretty popular. Stuff like Agricultural Sim, Farming Sim, and some of the Euro Truck games are really popular. I play them for the train wreck aspect. I enjoy seeing just how bad some of these games are and get a kick out of it. For the people who actually want to play sims, I think some enjoy the idea of experiencing something they wouldn't otherwise, no matter how mundane it may seem. I'm sure it appeals to kids too.

The problem, like you said, is that there are million of them and they are for the most part horrible. Driving physics are non-existent, no crash physics, and minimal thought time into the game mechanics. They literally just use the same base game for multiple ones and just mod them a little here and there.

Apparently I was wrong though, the tow truck in question is Japanese and it is hard to operate in real life too:

Spoiler

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7101 inm8num2

inm8num2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

Do you guys think the Deus Ex: HR DLC will be matched?

We need a button on this forum that, when pressed, activates a chip in Tony's brain and brings him to the forum!

#7102 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Do you guys think the Deus Ex: HR DLC will be matched?

We need a button on this forum that, when pressed, activates a chip in Tony's brain and brings him to the forum!

Missing Link maybe. The cheaper DLC probably not.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#7103 inm8num2

inm8num2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

Missing Link maybe. The cheaper DLC probably not.

I'm hoping for the cheaper DLC as I don't have them.

Really hope Tony can make it happen!

#7104 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

And what exactly makes you think the game won't be for $15 on January? It's all a matter of choosing what you want to buy right now and what you think you can get later. I didn't jumped on the Dark Souls deal for example, $15 was a great price for it but i now i won't play it right now, same thing with the Walking Dead. I will wait to see what the January sale brings, i now Amazon won't dissapoint.

These are the same 2 games I skipped during this sale :D

Plus, if all fails in January for me, I will use the promo credits to get a bunch of DLCs either for myself or to trade ;)

fs_pc.png

#7105 Daryl

Daryl

CAB: Cheap Ass Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Some decisions to make. Really want Victoria 2: A House Divided, but I own almost everything in the War Chest.

Aside from Syndicate in a few days, I will probably bite on several other games. Hard to justify a big pack just for the one title.

#7106 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

If you're telling people they need to learn how to use a storefront so they can buy things, there's clearly something wrong.

The complaints earlier in the thread were about searching and navigating the Amazon website not the purchase and checkout process. Could Amazon's search and layout be better? Sure, but it is the same search and layout as the rest of the Amazon website. So, those familiar with shopping at Amazon for items other than PC game downloads should already know how to navigate the site to find PC game downloads too.

Since I search Amazon all of the time for just about everything I buy aside from groceries I didn't realize how some of you didn't know how to use its search effectively to find only PC game downloads especially those on sale or from specifically publishers.

The only major thing I don't like about Amazon's game downloads are how casual and hard core titles are separated when some of the games in casual don't belong in that category.

#7107 Armaly

Armaly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

So if I buy Sonic CD for $1.25, I will get a $5 voucher in January?

#7108 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Yes.

#7109 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

The complaints earlier in the thread were about searching and navigating the Amazon website not the purchase and checkout process. Could Amazon's search and layout be better? Sure, but it is the same search and layout as the rest of the Amazon website. So, those familiar with shopping at Amazon for items other than PC game downloads should already know how to navigate the site to find PC game downloads too.

Being able to find the product you want is a big part of making a purchase.

Correct!
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#7110 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

Being able to find the product you want is a big part of making a purchase.

That is why I posted the example search link to show people how it is done. Finding a game download at Amazon is easy once you know which options to select in search to filter your results. It's no different than shopping for anything else at Amazon.