Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#7111 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Before I started buying games on Amazon, most of my purchases there were for books, movies, and music, and I usually knew what I was looking for ahead of time—ISBNs and exact titles make it easy to get to the right page.

But for me game purchasing is different in that I want to browse through what's on sale, what's bundled, and/or has promotions attached. Not so easy, or at least intuitive, on Amazon's pages. As's been said, not perfect on Steam either (when will Valve stop randomizing the front page deals so when you hit Back, the order's remixed?), but less headache. Also, I prefer dropdowns to checkboxes.

edit: being able to filter for DLC would also be very helpful, especially since publishers are trending towards more of it.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#7112 equalsP

equalsP

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

I think it will be back on Monday. I assume the $5 off coupon from Need for Speed Run will still work as well for a final price of $15.

CAGer to the rescue. Sweet. I'll have to grab it then. Not sure if I have that credit, I'll have to check where I bought the Run, twas a while ago.

Tony: this is a little off topic because its not PCDD, but is there a future where I can get these awesome like deals on PSN and XBOXLive stuff too? I have a PS3 but titles on the PSN rarely go on sale (specially not these kind of fire sales that we always get for PC/not sure how the 360 works). I would definitely be throwing more money your way if this was true. Though I assume its a different beast because PSN and 360 codes probably don't come from the developers/publishers but rather from Sony/Microsoft

Also +1 on the please gets some hamsters to think about making the game library accommodate your dedicated followers who have 30+ titles.

#7113 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Some decisions to make. Really want Victoria 2: A House Divided, but I own almost everything in the War Chest.

Aside from Syndicate in a few days, I will probably bite on several other games. Hard to justify a big pack just for the one title.

There is someone selling it for $1 here.

MARS

#7114 Eddy898

Eddy898

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

It's also a problem when you can't figure out what if any DRM a game has. This isn't a concern for books or groceries.

Sometimes the pages list it but sometimes they don't. Judging how many times these sorts of questions get asked over and over and over again on this thread I would say that Amazon really isn't doing a good job of getting that information out there. I mean half this thread is people asking if games redeem on Steam.

Some of it is people not paying attention but then again if that many people are not seeing that information then it either isn't being given or it isn't being made obvious and noticeable enough.

As for discoverablity, Steam gets overwhelming too on their really big sales and stuff there can also get lost in the shuffle, but there you can always do a quick browse of your wishlist at least to see what that is on it is on sale and for how much.

I think it's a bit problematic that Amazon doesn't really allow for good wishlisting of their digital games.

#7115 Daryl

Daryl

CAB: Cheap Ass Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

There is someone selling it for $1 here.

Had been keeping an eye on that thread most of the day and missed out once. Hopefully, this time will work.

#7116 Daryl

Daryl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

It's also a problem when you can't figure out what if any DRM a game has. This isn't a concern for books or groceries.

Sometimes the pages list it but sometimes they don't. Judging how many times these sorts of questions get asked over and over and over again on this thread I would say that Amazon really isn't doing a good job of getting that information out there. I mean half this thread is people asking if games redeem on Steam.

Some of it is people not paying attention but then again if that many people are not seeing that information then it either isn't being given or it isn't being made obvious and noticeable enough.

As for discoverablity, Steam gets overwhelming too on their really big sales and stuff there can also get lost in the shuffle, but there you can always do a quick browse of your wishlist at least to see what that is on it is on sale and for how much.

I think it's a bit problematic that Amazon doesn't really allow for good wishlisting of their digital games.

For as amazing as Tony is, it seems that he has passed along the message on a lot of these points. Maybe other departments work a bit slower? The only answer as I see it is cloning Tony.

I still vastly prefer Amazon to the alternatives, but if Amazon was to improve checkout to include multiple purchases, our library to be easily sorted, and browsing a bit more intuitive I would imagine it would sway even more people to Amazon as their first stop for digital game purchases.

#7117 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Tony for Amazon CEO.

#7118 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

Amazon is just starting, trying to carve a niche on the market and making a hell of a good job at it. I'm not sure why people expect them to instanly reach steam like level of implementation when this is just their second or third year on the market.

Steam has more than thrice the time of being on the market and when it comes to drm disclosing, people forget how was steam a couple of years ago, I remember the bait and switch tactics of disclosing the drm only after the game is launched and only if enough people complained, which the original reason of why the steam's big drm list exists:

http://steamdrm.flib...he_Big_DRM_List

#7119 Daryl

Daryl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

Amazon is just starting, trying to carve a niche on the market and making a hell of a good job at it. I'm not sure why people expect them to instanly reach steam like level of implementation when this is just their second or third year on the market.

Steam has more than thrice the time of being on the market and when it comes to drm disclosing, people forget how was steam a couple of years ago, I remember the bait and switch tactics of disclosing the drm only after the game is launched and only if enough people complained, which the original reason of why the steam's big drm list exists:

http://steamdrm.flib...he_Big_DRM_List

It is a bit different when you are the first into the market (or the one creating the market). A later arrival should learn from the mistakes of those who came first - and ideally improve on the original.

Maybe we are just spoiled by their outreach which has to be market leading.

#7120 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

You guys who were bitching about navigating the Amazon game downloads website need to learn how to use its features better.

I may need lessons to learn to use the site better, but I'm suggesting that perhaps that's Amazon's problem and not mine. The fact is simple - I spend a crazy amount of time trying to seek out new deals and browse what they've got offered. That's time I don't want to spend and the reason is not that I am not well-versed in how websites operate... it's because there's a crap ton of information being shoved in your face on every corner of the page and it's wildly inconsistent in how it is displayed.

It's not just me either... look how many people in this thread alone are trying to figure out this whole "deal" thing and to what games it applies. And we're frequently given great information from Tony on where to look. Imagine the casual browser who has no idea there's a sale going on, what's on it, or the parameters of that particular event - dates running, new items on sale, special deals attached to them.

How about that credit? Try finding how much you've got. You have to go to the MP3 page and click a tiny button. Then it tells you non-specifically how much you have... but not to what it applies.

Go to the linked sale page and none of those filters you mentioned are available.

Congratulations on discovering which levers to pull to make the site work. I just don't think - based on my own experience and observations - that most people are able to make the most out of the website. It's money for Amazon left on the table most likely.

I've gone on about this far longer than I intended. It seems to be a polarizing issue and I don't want to ruin Tony's thread so I'm done talking about it.

Back to deals. My haul so far during this sale:

- Serious Sam 3 DLC
- Sonic 4 Ep 2
- Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
- Civ V DLC

76561197971332172.png

#7121 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

It is a bit different when you are the first into the market (or the one creating the market). A later arrival should learn from the mistakes of those who came first - and ideally improve on the original.

Maybe we are just spoiled by their outreach which has to be market leading.

That's some pretty hefty standard, not even EA or UBI measure up it. Seriously, the day Amazon comes with it's own client, I'm migrating from Steam, Valve's monopoly over the market have made them too bulky for their own good.

Ease of use, good prices and customer care are important for me. Amazon has me covered in two out of three, whereas Valve only in one.

#7122 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

This sale for Amazon has been stunning. I can't look at this damn thread without buying something else (latest purchase: Lord of the Rings: War in the North for $5). I want Tony to have my digital babies!

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#7123 Cofresi

Cofresi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Planning on buying the Disney Gamer bundle but i got a question,

They still use Securom?

#7124 Daryl

Daryl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

That's some pretty hefty standard, not even EA or UBI measure up it. Seriously, the day Amazon comes with it's own client, I'm migrating from Steam, Valve's monopoly over the market have made them too bulky for their own good.

Ease of use, good prices and customer care are important for me. Amazon has me covered in two out of three, whereas Valve only in one.

It is a lofty standard to figure a business entering a market would learn from those already in it? Do you want to say that since Origin and UPLay stink, that Amazon should be expected to as well?

The bottom line is that as much as I would love an Amazon game client, they don't. All they do is sell stuff. The fact that MANY people are pointing out that the sales interface could use work is not an attack on Amazon. Much of this has been said for months, and Tony has even spoken towards relaying some of these concerns to those that could make changes. I will leave it at that.

#7125 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

All this debate is missing is rabidly anti-Amazon partisans to counterbalance the irrationally anti-Steam ones.

Not really. It's refreshing to see courteous disagreement and discussion. The only one suffering must be Tony's pencil/keyboard from furious note-taking.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#7126 60fps

60fps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

I'm glad Amazon doesn't have a client. Cleaning up the digital games library would be good enough. There's nothing that a client offers other than being a form of DRM. Everything we see in Steam could be done from a website coupled with any in-game launcher.

I'd rather Amazon take a page from GoG than from Steam.

#7127 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

Well if you spent a lot less time at CAG and a lot more time at Amazon, you would know how to use its search feature better. Being a veteran on CAG doesn't make you an authority on how to navigate Amazon or anywhere else.

I never once said I didn't know how to use Amazon's search tell, nor did I complain about it. Who ever said I was the authority on how to navigate? Lol, you're trying to pick a fight with the wrong person. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#7128 SlightlyOffTrack

SlightlyOffTrack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Will there ever be a bundle with all of the LEGO games (Star Wars + Harry Potter + Indiana Jones + Batman + POTC + LOTR)? I would buy the crap out of that in a heartbeat.

#7129 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

I may need lessons to learn to use the site better, but I'm suggesting that perhaps that's Amazon's problem and not mine.

My point was that in that regard the "problem" exists regardless of what you are searching for. Amazon's website works the same across all product categories. Frequent Amazon shoppers already know how to find game downloads they want because the rest of the website works the same way.

Imagine the casual browser who has no idea there's a sale going on, what's on it, or the parameters of that particular event - dates running, new items on sale, special deals attached to them.

Notice of the sale isn't the problem on Amazon's website. There's always sale banners on the PC game downloads main page when sales are in progress. However, I agree with you that the timeframe or expiration of particular sale prices is not clearly marked or marked at all in most cases on the Amazon website and should be.

How about that credit? Try finding how much you've got.

That's not really a navigation or search problem as to what I was referring earlier. I agree that needs to be fixed, but I think that Amazon could eliminate that problem for the most part by giving out discount codes as it did last year rather than just giving people credits to their accounts. The real problem is that Amazon created a new category of credit with no way to display it in the existing system.

Go to the linked sale page and none of those filters you mentioned are available.

Those filters are found on any search. For example if you click on a game publisher's link on a game description page, it takes you to search. There is also a big search text bar at the top of the main Amazon game downloads page which is preset to search only digital game downloads. I don't see that as a problem since Amazon search works that way for all products not just game downloads.

Edited by cutter2, 25 November 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#7130 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

Planning on buying the Disney Gamer bundle but i got a question,

They still use Securom?

Yes, it does but it is activation-based. There is nothing to fear from this form of SecuROM, and it is easy to revoke your activations if you choose. It doesn't install any drivers or any additional software on your PC. The DRM is integrated into the game's executables. It's quite flexible and works well. You can activate the games on multiple PC's and play them at the same time if you choose.

Edited by cutter2, 25 November 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#7131 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

I never once said I didn't know how to use Amazon's search tell, nor did I complain about it. Who ever said I was the authority on how to navigate? Lol, you're trying to pick a fight with the wrong person. ;)

It looked to me that you were the one trying to pick a fight with me with your sarcastic comment about me being a newbie on this forum. Your post added nothing to the discussion but an insult and wasted space.

#7132 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

It looked to me that you were the one trying to pick a fight with me with your sarcastic comment about me being a newbie on this forum. Your post added nothing to the discussion but an insult and wasted space.

You don't need to come here saying things like this:

You guys who were bitching about...

It's unnecessary and counter-productive to the environment we're trying to create here. You don't need to curse at people to get a point across.

On a side note: So I wonder why all of the negativity that I experience here comes from people with a '2' in their name... Coincidence?

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#7133 SlightlyOffTrack

SlightlyOffTrack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Another question. Is there any chance The Walking Dead will be on sale in January so I can use the $5 credit promotion with it? Sorry if my questions are getting in the way of this important discussion about searching.

#7134 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

Another question. Is there any chance The Walking Dead will be on sale in January so I can use the $5 credit promotion with it? Sorry if my questions are getting in the way of this important discussion about searching.

It's around the time of the winter sale; I would expect so.

#7135 tjs09

tjs09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Amazon's search bar isn't good enough? Is that the topic fits are being thrown over?

And why is everyone pulling out their big words all of a sudden?

#7136 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

You don't need to come here saying things like this:

First, you are not a moderator here so you shouldn't be telling anyone what they can and cannot post. Second, it was you who slung the insult here not me.

You don't need to curse at people to get a point across.

Using the word "bitching" in the context I did, i.e "complaining" is not profane. You're grasping at straws to cover up for your own insults.

#7137 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

On a side note: So I wonder why all of the negativity that I experience here comes from people with a '2' in their name... Coincidence?

There's an obvious and tiresome pattern of new members who come in and spew vitriol all over the Amazon thread, and have been doing it since at least the summer sale. You think they'd give it a rest after so many bannings.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#7138 yangwenli

yangwenli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

Will there ever be a bundle with all of the LEGO games (Star Wars + Harry Potter + Indiana Jones + Batman + POTC + LOTR)? I would buy the crap out of that in a heartbeat.

<laugh> I'm waiting for the same thing. :) maybe in a year or 2...

#7139 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

I grabbed that Harry Batman pack a couple of weeks ago. It's running again on Monday. But I agree... I'd love to see a LEGO pack for the remaining games as well. As long as it's cheap.

76561197971332172.png

#7140 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Wouldn't surprise me in the least -- same MO as the last guy.