Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#8671 could have won

could have won

Backlog Forever!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Ok guys. I'm installing the secret world tonight. I'll be playing Sunday ( I have a charity thing on Saturday).

I'll post my in game name if anyone wants to play with me.

Question to anyone who has played. I play on a 60inch plasma, will I be able to make the fonts bigger so I can read quests and chat?

Cheers,
Tony

I play on a 40 inch LCD, so I had the same issue. There are sliders that will increase text size for many gameplay-essential things like quests and tooltips. I know chat is a box you can resize as well and I believe text is included if you do that. Unfortunately things like the tip when you mouse over your xp bar at the bottom and text in the skill wheel seem to be fixed to be extremely tiny. I have taken up squinting and leaning forward to read them. If anyone knows a way to resize those please let me know, as it is rather annoying. At least you generally don't need to see those while being attacked or something. Also some of the interactive items in the world that you need to read can be a little small; there are captons below most but not all of them.

Also if anyone wants to play I'm slowly making my way through Kingsmouth and my nickname is Jadiee. It would be nice to have someone else to play with who is also new to the puzzles; I played a bit with a high level friend and although he tries he can't help but give too many hints for the harder puzzles. Those are my favorite part, so I definitely like to try to do them the right way with minimal help, at least to a reasonable point.

#8672 60fps

60fps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Does the secret world activate on steam?

Do you really need it to?

#8673 trogoldito

trogoldito

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Just bought TSW and the key doesn't work on the funcom site. Wanted to leave it downloading overnight and now I probably won't have time to play on saturday. Totally lame.

Is there a way for me to get a refund? Don't appreciate having to waste my time like this.
Posted Image

#8674 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I may have to try TSW... is it no-fee NOW or is it going to become no-fee soon (sorry, have a busy morning and skipped the search feature)?

Any word on Immortal Throne (digital) going on sale too for all of us that got the Humble Bundle?

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#8675 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" Birthday Toaster (34)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I liked Kingsmouth! lol To each it's own I guess :)

Back when I was in the TSW Beta, it probably did NOT help that I recently played Dead Island + its DLC's and loved that game...

Amazon wanted to run it at that price a couple weeks ago, but Activision said no at the last minute and jacked the price back up to $20.

If there's "any chance" of CODBLOPS at $10, it will require a significant change of heart from Kotick and Kompany. I think we'll see a Diablo III offline mode first. ;)

I'd love to see Diablo III offline mode. That game is so SP-friendly, it ain't funny - i.e. the new Lore mechanics and AI followers/NPC's constantly bantering.
The only thing NOT SP-friendly about D3...is its God-awful "always online" DRM.

I'd like to see COD:BO1 get cheaper, as well. That'd be nice...

#8676 mrfossey

mrfossey

Family Love KWal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

No issues registering TSW, and I guess I had $5 in video game gift certificates. TSW for $10!
"If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating!"

Posted Image

#8677 Lord Xoan

Lord Xoan

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Amazon wanted to run it at that price a couple weeks ago, but Activision said no at the last minute and jacked the price back up to $20.

If there's "any chance" of CODBLOPS at $10, it will require a significant change of heart from Kotick and Kompany. I think we'll see a Diablo III offline mode first. ;)

You broke my heart... :cry:

Yup Tony said that they were going to have a CODMW2 and Blops bundle, but as you said, Activision killed that... but well I hope that they change their minds.... and hearts! ;)

#8678 tareqj

tareqj

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hello, Im not a MMO player and i have only tried SWOR MMO for a month when they were still charging monthly fees and I got so tired of it by lvl 15. I love horror themes and games and I've heard really good things about this game when it comes to horror and mystery. So my question is, is this a good game for horror/thriller/ non-mmo players? Or would MMO mechanics damage the overall experience?

#8679 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hello, Im not a MMO player and i have only tried SWOR MMO for a month when they were still charging monthly fees and I got so tired of it by lvl 15. I love horror themes and games and I've heard really good things about this game when it comes to horror and mystery. So my question is, is this a good game for horror/thriller/ non-mmo players? Or would MMO mechanics damage the overall experience?

Probably helps to mention - I was not too fond of that clunky and floaty combat in both WoW and TSW Beta (back when I was in the TSW Beta). If you don't like that kind of combat - TSW probably won't be for you.
If you like it - you'll probably like it, I'd guess.

I actually thought the tutorial was great for TSW, where they try to get you to find you way and then induct you into your Secret Society and all of that stuff; and teach you the gameplay. This seemed like an excellent balance of different kind of stuff - some action here; more story there; more information to learn there; etc etc.

When I was in TSW Beta, I really dug the hell out of the story; characters; dialogue; and voice-acting. I'd expect nothing less from FunCom, since Ragnar Tornquist was still w/ them at that time (developer of both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall; who has currently gone Indie and working on Dreamfall Chapters). Also makes me wish that Ragnar, in a sense, eventually did do a TSW Offline (which he did admit in a GameSpot TwitchTV chat as something he thought about doing - but, of course won't/can't do now). B/c of this kind of major focus on story, characters, dialogue, voice-acting, and actual prose/writing - I really wish TSW had an optional offline mode (like say Diablo 2, Hellgate: London, and Torchlight 2 have). I'd hate to see TSW shut-down - and there's no offline mode to enjoy that kind of stuff that usually panders more towards the SP-gamer.

I played for around 10 hours in TSW Beta - and once I hit Kingsmouth, I was not thrilled w/ the zombie infested area - especially since I recently played through Dead Island and its DLC's, so that did NOT help matters, either. TSW Beta, especially since its combat wasn't great - just had too many Kill X enemies; Kill X enemies in X fashion (i.e. set them on fire, kill them w/ grenades, etc); find a bunch of X locations; find a few X characters - i.e. the typical type of ARPG/MMO quests to suit me.
I did like one of the more interesting quests....
Spoiler

Maybe someone else can speak of the "Investigation Quests" the game has - but I heard those are good, when they actually hit; and maybe someone else can speak on how frequent these hit and if there are more quest variety later on in the game.

#8680 Kain

Kain

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Actually, I'd like to know if The Secret World activates on Steam too. Outside of the Blizzard games, I just won't buy non-Steam PC games anymore.

Last Six Years of Completed Games: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

#8681 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Some of TSW's investigation quests were fun. I did like that the game comes with an in-game internet browser that the game actually encourages you to use. Things like finding a business card with a url on it and going to that url on the actual internet to see a mock corporate web page that lets you find out information to solve an in-game mission were great. There was one in the second area that there was NO way I was going to figure out on my own - it had to do with differing lengths of a few different songs being a code for something that led to King James Bible verses that led to something else. That one I didn't like too much - but the in-game browser took me to a IGN walkthrough and I just used the answer. So, in short, investigation missions are sometimes cool and sometimes ridiculous!

I think I came across 4 investigations in the first 2 areas I played through on that 5 day trial? (I played that game a lot for those 5 days lol)

#8682 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Agreed.
As if TSW really needs anything else forced/attached to it, since it is a "Always online" DRM kind of game (MMO).

#8683 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

TSW/other MMO's are one of the few games that I don't care if they are on steam since steam just triggers the games's update launcher anyway.

#8684 Kain

Kain

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

For me, I think it's more of an OCD thing where I just like having all my games as part of the Steam library. I know I can manually add outside games to make it show up in the list, but it's not the same. It's kind of the same way as I have all my PS3 games lined up in alphabetical order on one section of my shelves, and my Wii games lined up in alpha order on another section. Would drive me bonkers if they were all mixed up and out of place.

#8685 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Just bought TSW and the key doesn't work on the funcom site. Wanted to leave it downloading overnight and now I probably won't have time to play on saturday. Totally lame.

Is there a way for me to get a refund? Don't appreciate having to waste my time like this.

You could also try asking for help, others had some problems with it yesterday and seemed to resolve them (myself included).
Posted Image

#8686 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

For me, I think it's more of an OCD thing where I just like having all my games as part of the Steam library. I know I can manually add outside games to make it show up in the list, but it's not the same. It's kind of the same way as I have all my PS3 games lined up in alphabetical order on one section of my shelves, and my Wii games lined up in alpha order on another section. Would drive me bonkers if they were all mixed up and out of place.

When I install Non-Steam games, I tell them WHERE to go (as long as its allowed).
If I don't like where it's forced (if it is forced somewhere by default), I will create a folder shortcut of where it was forced and throw that folder-shortcut where I probably would've installed it to.

I usually install them according to either a few places:
1. Folder named after where I bought them (Retail, Gamersgate, Amazon DVG, Etc);
2. OR if the game actually has a forced Client (Steam, Origin, etc), I install it in a folder named after the game-client its forced to use.
I usually put Steam games in their default location, BTW.

I usually am signed onto Steam (and XFire and Raptor, too) and if it's a Non-Steam game, I'll just add it to my Steam as a Non-Steam game; and add it to my special categorized "Non-Steam List".

#8687 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

As much as some of you guys want to express you opinions about not seeing the need for TSW/MMOs/games that already have their own DRM etc etc on Steam, some other people have a different opinion.

As it will effect some people's buying decisions (you don't have to agree or like it; it's their money) I think it's a valid question to ask whether The Secret World (or any other game for that matter) can activate on Steam, even if I am fairly certain the answer is negative.

It still would be good to have some confirmation of that without a lot of unnecessary commentary from the peanut gallery about not understanding or approving of other people's game purchasing preferences.

*Edit: MysterD I have had this discussion with you multiple times but I will say again that I don't like the add a link to Steam option unless I have no other choice because if I change computers/HDs/OSes whatever they are gone and I have to go try and remember and track everything down again (Went through this recently with changing to Win 8 btw). I know that I can make a spreadsheet or whatever but I am not willing to do that.

It's my choice. I want 99% of may games on Steam (or Desura) if at all possible with only very rare exceptions. When I mention this here and elsewhere I feel like I always get argued to why that is wrong and why I should do it a different way etc and that gets really tiresome.

Let people do what they want with their game collections and and spend their money how they want please.

Edited by Motoki, 15 December 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#8688 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Went ahead and purchased it

1. Guild Wars 2 (No monthly sub
+
2. The Secret World (No monthly sub)
=
Good, no pressure for time/fee, MMORPG fix
Posted Image

#8689 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

As much as some of you guys want to express you opinions about not seeing the need for TSW/MMOs/games that already have their own DRM etc etc on Steam, some other people have a different opinion.

As it will effect some people's buying decisions (you don't have to agree or like it; it's their money) I think it's a valid question to ask whether The Secret World (or any other game for that matter) can activate on Steam, even if I am fairly certain the answer is negative.

It still would be good to have some confirmation of that without a lot of unnecessary commentary from the peanut gallery about not understanding or approving of other people's game purchasing preferences.

Other gamers have every right to buy the game on Steam, if it's actually being sold there.

My concern has always been about games on Steam having 3rd party DRM - Steam still has to run to boot your game, in most cases; not all, though. Steam's an extra layer of DRM, in this case. If 3rd party DRM's imposed on a Steam version, I believe Steam shouldn't have to boot-to-run; it's not my program, it's Valve's - so them and the 3rd party dev's/pub's call the shots and make agreements here to this matter.
{Most G4WL games can work w/out running Steam - see Steam-versions of RFG; GTA4 + EFLC}.

Since Steam's forced on Steam-versions of games in most cases, 3rd party dev's really shouldn't be using 3rd party DRM on Steam versions - since Steam does a good job w/ its DRM, in the first place.

Now - if say you buy the Steam key of TSW, IMHO, the gamers should be able to download a version of TSW w/out the Steam client tied to it directly from FunCom...just in case something happens to Steam; which I expect Steam won't be going away anytime soon, but you never know...

{shrug}

Though, you know what's more likely? TSW failing.

Edited by MysterD, 15 December 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#8690 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Well, I guess I can go Fuck myself then. sheesh

#8691 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Went ahead and purchased it

1. Guild Wars 2 (No monthly sub)
+
2. The Secret World (No monthly sub)
=
Good, no pressure for time/fee, MMORPG fix

I wish more MMO's went this (no monthly sub) route.
I just hope TSW doesn't fail, since it is a MMO. I'd hate to see a game w/ such interesting storytelling, dialogue, voice-acting, writing just go away into the dust b/c Funcom sadly went out of business.
If they do fail - it'd be sweet if they let the game somehow work offline and patch an offline mode in.

#8692 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

BTW people who purchase before Dec 24 (not sure date exactly) The Secret World will receive automatically during account activation

*The Initiate Pack
*The Blood Raven
*Factions leather jackets (cosmetics)
*Set of Weaponry

You also get all the DLC/Content packs including 1,2,3,4 and DLC content pack #5 when released in January.
Posted Image

#8693 Kain

Kain

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

When I install Non-Steam games, I tell them WHERE to go (as long as its allowed).
If I don't like where it's forced (if it is forced somewhere by default), I will create a folder shortcut of where it was forced and throw that folder-shortcut where I probably would've installed it to.

I usually install them according to either a few places:
1. Folder named after where I bought them (Retail, Gamersgate, Amazon DVG, Etc);
2. OR if the game actually has a forced Client (Steam, Origin, etc), I install it in a folder named after the game-client its forced to use.
I usually put Steam games in their default location, BTW.

I usually am signed onto Steam (and XFire and Raptor, too) and if it's a Non-Steam game, I'll just add it to my Steam as a Non-Steam game; and add it to my special categorized "Non-Steam List".

When I install everything, games, apps, whatever, I always tell it exactly where I want it installed. For me, it's not so much the location as it is the Steam integration. I like the overlay to be able to chat with my Steam friends when playing. I like the auto-updates through Steam. I like the links to the game hub and the store, etc.

Other gamers have every right to buy the game on Steam, if it's actually being sold there.

My concern has always been about games on Steam having 3rd party DRM - Steam still has to run to boot your game, in most cases; not all, though. Steam's an extra layer of DRM, in this case. If 3rd party DRM's imposed on a Steam version, I believe Steam shouldn't have to boot-to-run; it's not my program, it's Valve's - so them and the 3rd party dev's/pub's call the shots and make agreements here to this matter.
{Most G4WL games can work w/out running Steam - see Steam-versions of RFG; GTA4 + EFLC}.

Since Steam's forced on Steam-versions of games in most cases, 3rd party dev's really shouldn't be using 3rd party DRM on Steam versions - since Steam does a good job w/ its DRM.

Now, if say you buy the Steam key of TSW, IMHO, the gamers should be able to download a version of TSW w/out the Steam client tied to it directly from FunCom...just in case something happens to Steam; which I expect Steam won't be going away anytime soon, but you never know...

{shrug}

Though, you know what's more likely? TSW failing.

I agree that I don't like 3rd party DRM at all, so I don't buy any of those games on PC period. If it's that high profile that it needs DRM, it's most likely on the PS3, so i'll buy it for that instead.

And I have 245 games in Steam, so if something ever does happen to Steam, I think the last thing i'll be worried about is losing the ability to play TSW.

#8694 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Well, I guess I can go Fuck myself then. sheesh

I didn't say that. :-P

And I get the whole multiple DRM etc concern some people (MysterD) have etc.

All I am saying is if someone asks if something activates on Steam if you (collective you) cannot give a yes or no answer then maybe the person asking who just would prefer to have the game on Steam doesn't necessarily want to hear from multiple people how they don't approve or understand etc.

If you can't answer the question and you don't want the game on Steam then just let it be and let someone else who has the answer answer.

Every time I say I prefer my games on Steam I feel like some one, and sometimes multiple someones, needs to lecture about why they don't agree with my preference. It's not just here either it happens on other forums and I am not necessary singling any one person out but after a while it gets old.

I think people should be able to ask about whether or not a game that is sold on Steam will activate there if bought elsewhere without being made to feel like there is something wrong with them wanting that.

That's all.

#8695 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

BTW people who purchase before Dec 24 (not sure date exactly) The Secret World will receive automatically during account activation

*The Initiate Pack
*The Blood Raven
*Factions leather jackets (cosmetics)
*Set of Weaponry

You also get all the DLC/Content packs including 1,2,3,4 and DLC content pack #5 when released in January.

you have a source i can check out for this?
i was gonna wait til the steam winter sale to buy it but this might make me go ahead and get it

#8696 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

When I install everything, games, apps, whatever, I always tell it exactly where I want it installed.

Amen.

For me, it's not so much the location as it is the Steam integration. I like the overlay to be able to chat with my Steam friends when playing. I like the auto-updates through Steam. I like the links to the game hub and the store, etc.

Depends on the case and instance for me.

Something like COH - yeah, I don't want to really deal w/ Relic's poor handling of the patching process for Retail version.
I have both COH + Op Fronts from Retail and Steam; and TOV only from Steam.

I agree that I don't like 3rd party DRM at all, so I don't buy any of those games on PC period. If it's that high profile that it needs DRM, it's most likely on the PS3, so i'll buy it for that instead.

I have no problem w/ say EA using Origin; UbiSoft using UPlay; etc - but I'd rather have those games as Non-Steam versions.
For 3rd party games over Steam - I'd rather those be full-blown Steamworks only.

And I have 245 games in Steam, so if something ever does happen to Steam, I think the last thing i'll be worried about is losing the ability to play TSW.

I'd say FunCom would fold way before Valve would.
I obviously hope both stick around, though.

#8697 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

if it wasnt for steam, i wouldnt even know what games i have and achievements

#8698 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

I didn't say that. :-P

Neither did I.

And I get the whole multiple DRM etc concern some people (MysterD) have etc.

All I am saying is if someone asks if something activates on Steam if you (collective you) cannot give a yes or no answer then maybe the person asking who just would prefer to have the game on Steam doesn't necessarily want to hear from multiple people how they don't approve or understand etc.

All I did was agree w/ someone else's opinion and thought. We all can have our own opinions - you have yours; and I have mine.

Every time I say I prefer my games on Steam I feel like some one, and sometimes multiple someones, needs to lecture about why they don't agree with my preference. It's not just here either it happens on other forums and I am not necessary singling any one person out but after a while it gets old.

I think most of us like a lot of the extra things Steam gives us for features [Friends List, auto-updates in most cases, Back-Up Utility, Big Picture Mode, etc]...
...but, some of just don't like when there's extra 3rd party DRM pushed on-top of Steam-versions b/c Steam's forced-to-run on most games on there. When that's often the case, unless the game's ultra-cheap, I'm going to try to avoid that Steam-version.

Give me full-blown Steamworks titles like Skyrim, Dishonored, Deus Ex: HR - I'm happy. I only have to deal w/ Steam on those. That's it, no extra complications & extra hoops to hop through.

I think people should be able to ask about whether or not a game that is sold on Steam will activate there if bought elsewhere without being made to feel like there is something wrong with them wanting that.

That's all.

I really think this is something Amazon DVG should do a better job of - Plaster in BIG letters in BIG FONT and BOLD at the TOP what DRM version the page you're on has.
And if there say different versions - i.e. one is Steam; one uses something else - make it easy for the gamer to switch b/t and order the version they want.

If it's DRM-FREE, state it.
Uses Origin - state it.
Uses Steam - state it.
Uses Steam plus has extra DRM - state it.

Also, here's another question - how much of cut would FunCom have to give Valve/Steam, to have their game on Steam? Especially since FunCom (dev's) and EA (publisher) are already involved together....and do have to deal w/ retailers like Amazon.

Edited by MysterD, 15 December 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#8699 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

if it wasnt for steam, i wouldnt even know what games i have and achievements

Achievements depend on game-company.
Many G4WL games have achievements.

Some have them built right into the game - so that once you hit it, it then uploads to....wherever.
That's the way it should be done, I think.

I find it silly when Steam version has Achievements, yet Non-Steam doesn't.

I find it cool that in Mass Effect 2, your Achievements are in-game and tie to your BioWare account - but it's silly that it'll never be uploaded to Steam b/c they didn't allow them to upload to your Steam profile if you actually have ME2 from Steam. LAZY.

Plus, let's be real - Achievements are really there for dev's and pub's to figure out how far players advance in the game; how skilled their players are; how much players will do; if players will replay the game; what features should remove in a sequel; what should be kept in the sequel; and where they really should take a sequel next time around for what needs to be improved. Built-in massive focus testing. Brilliant!

#8700 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Also, here's another question - how much of cut would FunCom have to give Valve/Steam, to have their game on Steam? Especially since FunCom (dev's) and EA (publisher) are already involved together....and do have to deal w/ retailers like Amazon.

30% is pretty standard for online distribution, right?