Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#15091 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

I purchased the Kingdoms of Amalur bundle, and I have a question.

Really, this question applies to any PC game that has DLC with it, not just KoA. I'm an old-school gamer, I'm not used to this DLC thing. :-P

The question is: if I bought something that also had DLC codes, should I wait to redeem those until I'm ready to use them? Or would it be best to redeem it altogether? Or will it matter at all (i.e. installing a DLC that changes the game dramatically before I've even played it once)?

I'm sorry if this seems like a simple question, I'm just not used to added content like this; more used to expansions and whatnot.

It totally varies. Some DLC are base game altering expansions (like Diablo II: Lord of Destruction), some are purely separate content, some are side quests/areas mid-way through the base game, some are just clothes/items. A few games have loaders that let you choose which expansions/DLC you want to run with.

I just activate all my DLC whenever I buy it. In general it improves (or at least doesn't hurt) the experience. If you are concerned about base-game altering expansions, you'll have to check on a case by case basis.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#15092 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

Oh, and I tried downloading through Amazon, it literally just points you to a locally downloaded html page that instructs you to download it from funcom. Downloading at 3.80 MB/Sec. though.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#15093 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

OK, Just to let everyone know, I literally just bought this from Amazon at Jan 2, 1:00 AM EST. I registered with my product code as fast as I could, and the Initiate Pack, Blood Raven, Set of Weaponry, and Faction Leather Jacket all show up on my accout page. This was the time stamp on my receipt (Funcom registration) Created 2013-01-02 06:03. So, it's still hot for all you late to the party and unsure if it will get you the bonuses.

Whoohoo! One of us, one of us! That does seem to add evidence to my suspicion that they will give the bonuses until the 7th (based on their subscription promo). It's good for them anyhow. They really need to get more people to buy it now (before the next B2P MMO comes along).

The download size for TSW is 15.4GB. The install size is 37.1GB. :rofl:

You're right. My WoW install only clocks in at 20 GB (though it's known for it's cartoony style and thus doesn't have detailed textures).

Oh, and I tried downloading through Amazon, it literally just points you to a locally downloaded html page that instructs you to download it from funcom. Downloading at 3.80 MB/Sec. though.

For MMOs just let their installer/patcher handle it. The best my connection can do is 650 MB/s... I live in the bandwidth ghetto. I can't even stream 1080p youtube.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#15094 shredman

shredman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

R.U.S.E. is currently $4.99 on amazon now. Activates on STEAM.

#15095 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Whoohoo! One of us, one of us! That does seem to add evidence to my suspicion that they will give the bonuses until the 7th (based on their subscription promo). It's good for them anyhow. They really need to get more people to buy it now (before the next B2P MMO comes along).

Damn it! I knew that I saw a post saying they extended it to the first week of January, got a link?

UPDATE: I think I found it:
Posted Image

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

#15096 Seth Oriath

Seth Oriath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

These are great questions! The broad answer is that it really depends on the game. DLC for, say, Borderlands 2 can be installed/registered immediately since you don't access it until you want to (the Mechromancer class, the two extra areas - Captain Scarlett and Mr. Torgue). On the flipside, Saints Row: The Third's Bloodsucker DLC should not be installed unless you absolutely want to suck blood instead of doing the other kinds of kill moves - permanently. That got a bunch of people in a (justifiable) nit since it should be toggled as an option.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question, but certainly ask here or on the game's forum if you're unsure. It's always a good thing to know how a download could effect your game :)

With KOA, just register it right away. It won't affect gameplay until you want to do the DLC content.

It totally varies. Some DLC are base game altering expansions (like Diablo II: Lord of Destruction), some are purely separate content, some are side quests/areas mid-way through the base game, some are just clothes/items. A few games have loaders that let you choose which expansions/DLC you want to run with.

I just activate all my DLC whenever I buy it. In general it improves (or at least doesn't hurt) the experience. If you are concerned about base-game altering expansions, you'll have to check on a case by case basis.

Thanks you all! I'll keep all of that in mind and will try to be aware of what the different DLCs do before installing, just in case.

#15097 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

This is about Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga - DRM FREE Versions (the versions without Steam).
Steam-versions automatically will get/got updated to Divinity II: Director's Cut Edition

Well, technically, the Steam version was not updated or re-branded to Developer's Cut, rather the Developer's Cut was added as a separate game.
So, not sure how that would work, but it's doubtful that you'd get the game extra from anywhere else, as I don't think Amazon has a way to retroactively give games like Steam (Steam does it basically as 'subscriptions')

So I can basically play either version.
Posted Image

I got the original game for free as part of a beta or something.. I still need to finish playing, so Developer's Cut will probably be the version I play.

Just another game on my list of games I need to finish playing eventually.
This evening I deleted my Windows partition in order to re-install it with more space. 200GB instead of 95GB. Woo!

Now I'm downloading The Secret World, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Spec Ops: The Line, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect (so I can play through 1, 2, and then finally 3 which I just bought... curse you Tony!!!), Hitman Absolution, Dishonored, and Assassin's Creed 3.

Not to mention ongoing playing of Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, and whatever other systems I own.
I may have a problem...

Oh, and I hear a lot of good things about Guild Wars 2, so as I mentioned, that's on my look-out list.

Good thing that 2013 is looking dry so far in terms of new games that I'm looking at. Other than Starcraft 2 expansion.

#15098 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Damn it! I knew that I saw a post saying they extended it to the first week of January, got a link?

UPDATE: I think I found it:
Posted Image

On your account page there should be a large banner on the left. It should take you to
https://register.the...ption/ctrl/tsw/YourTSWloginname/upgrade/TSW-SUB-DISCOUNT-DEC12

That seemed to promote subscription discounts that should have ended on 31 Dec, but now end on 7 Jan. BTW, the page lies, you can still revist that have after you've seen it the first time.

Edit: yeah, that in your image

#15099 inm8num2

inm8num2

GOG Pogs are coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Gosh I want to try TSW, but I'm kicking myself for not biting at $5 at GMG previously.

#15100 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

R.U.S.E. is currently $4.99 on amazon now. Activates on STEAM.

Appears to be the cheapest that it's ever been. Bought.

Thanks for the head's up.

EDIT: Here's the store page if anybody else is interested. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FV5CDK/

#15101 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

I should quit while I'm ahead. Been spending more than I should on games this Xmas Season.
https://docs.google....zx=xqkbs6wzj212
I know the sale season isn't quite over yet, but I should throw in my towel.

#15102 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Huh, I have an existing TSW account from a few months ago that I just re-fired up today. I guess existing accounts don't get the goodies, just new ones or something. No Initiate Pack for me (no big deal) and no idea if I'll have access to the plot update.

#15103 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

On your account page there should be a large banner on the left. It should take you to
https://register.the...ption/ctrl/tsw/YourTSWloginname/upgrade/TSW-SUB-DISCOUNT-DEC12

That seemed to promote subscription discounts that should have ended on 31 Dec, but now end on 7 Jan. BTW, the page lies, you can still revist that have after you've seen it the first time.

Edit: yeah, that in your image

OK, Next question. If subscription fees have been dropped, why buy a subscription?!? what subscribers get that freebies don't. I've looked at the pages, but there's no info that I can find, just "purchase now". The banner literally says "Pay Once, Play Forever." What am I missing?

#15104 Draxus

Draxus

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Damn... I was debating buying Max Payne 3, finally decided to buy it and now it's unavailable.

#15105 chapnis

chapnis

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

If I buy FIFA 13 will I get an Origin key?

#15106 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Damn... I was debating buying Max Payne 3, finally decided to buy it and now it's unavailable.

Both Steam and non-Steam versions too! Did someone decide that $10 after coupon was too cheap? :-#

(Presumably Steam and non-Steam versions are separate stock-wise, and it seems odd that the non-Steam version would sell out anywhere near as quickly as the Steam version.)

#15107 crimsonassassin

crimsonassassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Nba for sure, if you into sports games, best nba ever. Alot improoved from 2k12. Nfs idk, not for that price.

And everything gets price drops, except walking dead :(

As a 2k player since the original Dreamcast NBA 2k, I have to disagree with 2k13 being the best. It has a lot of issues which 2k12 did not have. Honestly, I usually stop playing 2k games when a new one releases but have left 2k12 installed this year as it is better balanced and a better game really. 2k13 needs some major slider adjustments to even come close to 2k12 or even 2k11 (which might be superior to 2k12 as well actually).

#15108 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

is that why I see people playing secret lives of american teenagers?

The Secret World of Alex Mack FTW!!!!!! :)

#15109 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

OK, Next question. If subscription fees have been dropped, why buy a subscription?!? what subscribers get that freebies don't. I've looked at the pages, but there's no info that I can find, just "purchase now". The banner literally says "Pay Once, Play Forever." What am I missing?

Monthly points to use in the item store and some exclusive tchotchkes for things like "double xp for one hour, usable once daily".

#15110 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

With KOA, just register it right away. It won't affect gameplay until you want to do the DLC content.

I did accidentally wander into the DLC areas. Got some money and walked out. Though now I'm wondering if it capped the DLC areas as low-levelled areas.

#15111 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Monthly points to use in the item store and some exclusive tchotchkes for things like "double xp for one hour, usable once daily".

That doesn't seem to justify the cost. What server should I choose? Since it seems I'll be stuck on it while soloing.

#15112 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hotline Miami sure is something. I fired it up an hour ago and was impressed by the presentation touches. Usually the post-modern "retro look" lacks the charm that inspired it, but this game takes things to a new, cool extreme. That music is really cool, too.

What control method do you folks usually use? I'm using my Xbox 360 controller but I think I might use my KB&M moving forward. I'm not a twin stick kind of person (yet?) mainly because I have done little gaming over the last few years using that play style.

#15113 chapnis

chapnis

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Every time I buy something I tell myself to stop but can't... want to buy Hotline Miami but I shouldn't...

#15114 Kschreck

Kschreck

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Does X-Blade activate in Steam?

#15115 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

So, I've got 3 buddy invites to The Secret World, that let you try it out for 24 hours, any takers? All I need is an email.

1. gilby
2. MadBrad
3. mcmahamg

All gone. Thanks.

Edited by walkonshadows, 02 January 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#15116 smurfinaus

smurfinaus

GOGger's Unite!! :)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Edited by smurfinaus, 02 January 2013 - 07:51 AM.
repeat whoops

#15117 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

So, I've got 3 buddy invites to The Secret World, that let you try it out for 24 hours, any takers? All I need is an email.

1. Empty
2. Empty
3. Empty

Whaaaat? Did you buy it on Steam or something?

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#15118 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Whaaaat? Did you buy it on Steam or something?

Nope, through the website:
https://register.the...ruitment/23/add

#15119 Nidaba

Nidaba

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Speaking of TSW, can I get any suggestions on better ways of downloading it? I have a shitty internet connection that tends to go in and out, and apparently when that happens, it completely cancels the download and makes me restart completely. I'm now trying to download TSW for the 4th time but since it is such a big file, I know my net will derp before it is done. Suggestions? =/

#15120 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Speaking of TSW, can I get any suggestions on better ways of downloading it? I have a shitty internet connection that tends to go in and out, and apparently when that happens, it completely cancels the download and makes me restart completely. I'm now trying to download TSW for the 4th time but since it is such a big file, I know my net will derp before it is done. Suggestions? =/

Nope. Amazon seems even slower.

Don't worry though, it will save your download progress if you net goes down or if you turn your PC off.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png