Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#17161 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I get your point if you don't have an official pad but I'm glad there is a standard. Without it you would get things like press button 12 to run. Where the hell is button 12. Pc gamepads used to suck because of that problem. Some ubi games still do.

Played RE4 that way. Took me a few minutes to get acquainted, but after that it was fine. With newer games the controller I got for that doesn't work unless I run X360CE, which I'm glad that fixes it, but I don't see why they couldn't support Xinput and Directinput given both are very simple API interfaces that are stock. I'd rather have a controller learning curve than an unusable controller.

#17162 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

VERY common bug for people to completely lose their save games for no reason and have to start over. I know multiple people who have had it happen to them, some of them having it happen more than once.

Some people never run into the bug though, so in that case, great. Still, that's what's making me picky about the price. I know everyone will say that the game is more than worth it for this price and that I'm being way too picky, but I just won't buy a game that is possibly going to eat my saves for over $5, no matter how good it is.

That happened to me three times. It's partially the reason I haven't finished episodes 3-5. I don't feel like dealing with that aggravation so. It's frustrating as hell and from the looks of the telltale and steam forums there are a lot of people in the same boat and telltale doesn't seem to care too much (last I checked anyway).

I'll finish the game eventually, but that issue definitely put a sour taste in my mouth.

#17163 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yeah that would get hella annoying. I beat hotline miami and had no issues what so ever. Now all the sudden when I am going back to replay levels I get an error forcing the game to close :-/. I tried turning off steamworks too and still does it.

I was talking about TWD. I haven't had any issues with HM.

I also finished the whole game without any save bug. Scaredy-cat!

Not all of us island people are crazy.

Same here and I'll admit to having some welled up manly tears by the end of it all. One of my top games of the year easily.

I'm not sure how common this bug is. All of my friends who have bought it in the past have finished it without issue. These save-eating related incidents could be related to the Steam Cloud. Heard of similar issues with BL2. Turn it off before starting the game, just to be sure.

Pretty sure it's not a Steam Cloud issue, it's a game bug that corrupts save files. Correct if I'm wrong, Zillion.

That happened to me three times. It's partially the reason I haven't finished episodes 3-5. I don't feel like dealing with that aggravation so. It's frustrating as hell and from the looks of the telltale and steam forums there are a lot of people in the same boat and telltale doesn't seem to care too much (last I checked anyway).

I'll finish the game eventually, but that issue definitely put a sour taste in my mouth.

Right, you're one of the people I know had major issues with it. I'm pretty sure it happened to Fox multiple times too.

In the end, I'm not really afraid of the bug. If I bought it and it happened to me, oh well. It just really decreases the value of the game in my eyes when losing my save is a possibility. I HATE doing things over again in games--especially adventure games. I'd rather buy the game when the bug is fixed (for a price like this, $7-$10), or when the price is $5 or under.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#17164 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Is anyone else having problems getting Steam overlay to work with Hotline Miami?

oh, and I created a giveaway for Darksiders 1.
Posted Image

#17165 Lemstar

Lemstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Not all of us island people are crazy.

There's more of you out here?!

#17166 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

I get your point if you don't have an official pad but I'm glad there is a standard. Without it you would get things like press button 12 to run. Where the hell is button 12. Pc gamepads used to suck because of that problem. Some ubi games still do.

Maybe you should just use a mouse....http://www.cheapassg...postcount=11109

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#17167 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'm still sporting my Death Adder, from way the hell back when they launched them.

#17168 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Is anyone else having problems getting Steam overlay to work with Hotline Miami?

Yep, first time I said yes it crashed the game, second time I said yes, it didn't crash the game but the overlay didn't work still.

Guardian_owl.png

#17169 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm still sporting my Death Adder, from way the hell back when they launched them.

Love the shape and feel. I've got the Mamba (just the wireless version, basically). Awesome mice. :)

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#17170 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Or "This list is subject to change, as we are in constant negotiations with publishers regarding future promotions."

What? Forcing us to wait until next week to get get rid of the phantom page? Now there's a legitimate reason to complain. ;)

Can't say that I've really been bothered by non-remappable keyboard/mouse controls, but all these new games with controller support that's non-remappable and Xbox-controller-only? :bomb:

I use ESDF for WASD movement due to learning to type via touch typing. Most people think it's pretty silly, but it's what works for me.

and it's annoying when games don't let you remap WASD. I can't stand that configuration.

#17171 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

grrr cant wait for the alice pack

yuck, i already own alice returns, but not the original, and it doesnt look like you can get separate keys for just the original. so if i want the original, i would have to double dip, if it goes on sale super cheap, worth it i guess
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#17172 Needles-Kane

Needles-Kane

White hot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I use ESDF for WASD movement due to learning to type via touch typing. Most people think it's pretty silly, but it's what works for me.

and it's annoying when games don't let you remap WASD. I can't stand that configuration.

I use ESDF too, thank god there is someone else! For me, it felt completely logical to have your fingers exactly as you would on home row for playing and typing in mutliplayer games. I don't know what the logic for the other method is.

#17173 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

I use ESDF too, thank god there is someone else! For me, it felt completely logical to have your fingers exactly as you would on home row for playing and typing in mutliplayer games. I don't know what the logic for the other method is.

Yeah me neither, I think it has something to do with key placement when you use WASD.

But when you use WASD you can't reach a lot of keys with your index finger. With ESDF I can access pretty much everything on the left side of my keyboard without issue. Plus it feels completely natural since my brain is used to Home row and instinctively finds the braille-like raised notch on the F and knows exactly what to do.

I agree with this so much. Using gamepads before the 360 standard was terrible. Such a pain in the ass. I'll Take 360 Xinput support anyday.

THOUGH I do think they should support DI and XI in games.

#17174 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

yuck, i already own alice returns, but not the original, and it doesnt look like you can get separate keys for just the original. so if i want the original, i would have to double dip, if it goes on sale super cheap, worth it i guess

This. If it's $2.50 after credit I'll bite, but I'm guessing it'll be $5-7.50 after credit.

#17175 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Sucks how the original Alice is never sold by itself. Because of how often Madness Returns has been on sale everywhere else (Steam, GG, Amazon), most who are interested in the series (like myself) already have Madness Returns.

I'm in the same boat as Suntoast, and I'm guessing we're not the only ones.

bZ2g3eF.png

#17176 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Well, I already own both Alice Returns and the Original, but if I didn't, I'd certainly be willing to pay $7.50 for the lot. They're great games. But certainly not just for the original America McGee's Alice alone (which it looks like the position most people are in.)

We all have our 'price points' for certain games, and apparently mine was $2.50 for the Darkness II, because I skipped over it countless times at higher prices.

#17177 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

The Mass Effect Collection (1 and 2) for $10 + coupon would make a great sale.

#17178 heroes159

heroes159

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

oh god.. I thought Dark souls deal finishing on 6th January. I was going to buy it after i got my salary today. Cant believe it expired. I was really hoping to play it tonight. :( cant believe i missed it. I bought Logitech a Controller too for this game :(
Tony are your Bringing it back ??

#17179 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Sucks how the original Alice is never sold by itself. Because of how often Madness Returns has been on sale everywhere else (Steam, GG, Amazon), most who are interested in the series (like myself) already have Madness Returns.

Count me in that camp.

#17180 Pr0f1t

Pr0f1t

Trophywhorus Rex

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

17200+ posts - I'm in! The only really big bundle that I'd be looking for these days would be all the LEGO games for a CAG-level price. I have most of them on PS3 already, but the DVG hoarder in me *wants* such a collection on my PCs. Thanks to Tony & his minions for the great work this season. My backlog has never been so deep and varied. I'll be posting some SteamGifts soon for the dups (Bioshock, Saints Row 3 TFP & Spec Ops most likely) for you good people to claim.

PS - If you're new, go read the 1st page and/or Tony's sig. Also, learn how to search. This thread would probably be under 5K posts if folks would take that extra minute.

#17181 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Coming from someone who has always had a gamepad for the computer, you couldn't be more right about being glad that's there's actually a standard for it. The problem was that everyone had their own design for a controller. Everytime you wanted to use a gamepad it was an remapping ordeal since the default mapping wasn't specifically designed for your gamepad. If you see a Ubi game with that problem it's probably because Ubisoft doesn't really like PC gamers. They think every PC gamer is a pirate.

#17182 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Re: Dark Souls. The only people who find it maddeningly/rage-inducing hard are people who simply aren't used to challenging games.

Spoiler
There isn't much of a penalty in the way of death
Spoiler

This! I really don't get what all the omg-hard talk is about, but then again I've been gaming since games were hard and quarters were few. The DS:PTD death penalty less than in Diablo II.

Yeah, I can't be bothered to look up the interview again but the CEO made it pretty clear that he was speaking in terms of catalog size, not sales or revenue. I think he said they carried something like 4,000 titles. Awesome if you're into Euro-Toenail Clipper Simulator 2009.

You forget the Euro Bathing Simulator. ^_~

You'll have to complain a lot more, announce you're putting people on ignore, whine you can't get a dozen AAA games for $5 just because you bought some $0.30 Darksiders 2 DLC for EC coupons, ask about EA games activating on Steam, ask for Bethesda price matches, and allege Tony is favoring certain posters and that Amazon is out to get you.

Oh the things I miss by having some people on ignore.... no wait that's why they're on ignore.

Okay, seriously...

What is it w/ PC controls not being allowed to be reconfigured to certain keys and/or cannot be configured at all?

I'm left-handed - and prefer the cursors (Up, Down, Left, Right)

Sleeping Dogs PC -> Cannot remap movement keys to cursors (Up, Down, Left, Right).
Dead Space 1 PC -> See above.
The Walking Dead -> TWD forces WSAD for movement. Hell, it forces EVERYTHING - as you cannot reconfigure KB/mouse controls.

{SMH and puts in X360 Controller}

^_^ nod, I know what you mean. Only my gaming setup has mouse-on-right, but I don't have a dominate hand.

You could have a loadable AutoHotKey scripts for key swapping for differnt games. SD plays really well with the controller. Once you adapt to MaxPayne-bullet-timing most of your shots you won't even reach for the mouse.

I thought that DirectInput was a standard. Sure different controllers had different button placements, but that isn't a problem if you can rebind the game controls.

DirectInput is a standard, and it is superior to the Xinput standard. Xinput only supports the controls on the 360 controller, no more (and the LT/RT are mapped to positive and negative halves of the same axis). DirectInput, while commonly used with PS/Xbox controller layouts supports more buttons and more axes -- which allows for complex flight sim setups and the sort.

I like to copy all my game saves into my Dropbox folder, and then symlink them to their original location. This gives me two advantages, (1) my game saves are backed up in the cloud and (2) I can roll back my games saves to any change in the last 30 days. This means if the game corrupts my save, I can roll back to an earlier version. This isn't difficult to setup. Looking around Dropboxifier seems to wizard-ize the symlink setup (though using LSE as simply as making an application shortcut.)

1. Install Dropbox. Make an account.
2. Install LSE
3. Locate the folder with your save file. (Googling is usually quickest, "GameX save file location")
4. Move that folder to your Dropbox folder (C:\Users\YourUserName\Dropbox\)
5. Drag the game save folder (which is now in the Dropbox folder) back to it's original location using the right mouse button. On right button release select "Drop here"->"Symbolic Link" from the context menu.

Later when you want to roll back to a previous version, right click on the save file and select "Dropbox"->"View previous versions". That will open a webpage on the dropbox site that allows you to select which version you want to roll back to (e.g. 1 min ago, 3 min ago, 14 min ago, 22 hours ago, etc). Select the version you want and hit the restore button on the web page. Wait 5 seconds for your local file to update, then open you save in the game.

It's never worked by default (I think I've heard rumor of adding it as a non-steam game works). I've owned Hotline Miami since November.

Yeah, I picked up Madness returns for $4 or $5 iirc in 2012.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#17183 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

how much replayability is in twd?

Spoiler

Yeah, I picked up Madness returns for $4 or $5 iirc in 2012.

I picked it up for $5 at the steam summer sale, it was worth $5, but not much more. buying it again for $7.50-$5 coupon to get the original might be an option, but i can't pay much more than that.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#17184 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

replayability in twd is nonexistent imo.

yea, i mean you can go back and "choose" a different "path," but its all smoke and mirrors.

it does the smoke and mirrors effect pretty damn well though, making you believe your "choices" actually matter.
PC master race.

#17185 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

There's no legitimate reason (for the majority of games) to not support DirectInput and XInput, while also allowing both to have keys rebound.

Played RE4 that way. Took me a few minutes to get acquainted, but after that it was fine. With newer games the controller I got for that doesn't work unless I run X360CE, which I'm glad that fixes it, but I don't see why they couldn't support Xinput and Directinput given both are very simple API interfaces that are stock. I'd rather have a controller learning curve than an unusable controller.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. :)

Mice aren't very good for platforming or racing. ;)

At least you're not one of the people who uses the arrow keys for movement (and aren't left-handed.)

#17186 smurfinaus

smurfinaus

GOGger's Unite!! :)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

When is there likely to be more deals coming up?. Bit on Hotline but nothing else yet - have spec ops not interested in Darkness II. Pondering over ME3 & KOA before the deals expire hmmmmm....

#17187 r9800pro

r9800pro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Well, I already own both Alice Returns and the Original, but if I didn't, I'd certainly be willing to pay $7.50 for the lot. They're great games. But certainly not just for the original America McGee's Alice alone (which it looks like the position most people are in.)

I am in the same boat, only want the original Alice. If only Amazon can make a promo for those who already bought Madness Returns from them :)

fs_pc.png

#17188 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

replayability in twd is nonexistent imo.

yea, i mean you can go back and "choose" a different "path," but its all smoke and mirrors.

it does the smoke and mirrors effect pretty damn well though, making you believe your "choices" actually matter.

I heard
Spoiler

If that's the case,
Spoiler

Still have yet to play it... but I remember reading that spoiler somewhere very recently.

#17189 Dreamweaver7

Dreamweaver7

Valar Morghulis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

So unless Tony puts up a couple more deals that I can use EC coupons on, this is my data for 2012. I only discovered Amazon (and CAG) this year. Prior to 2012 all my purchases were off Steam.

Steam
Transformers: War for Cybertron (Summer Sale)
Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Collection (Summer Sale)
Batman: AC GOTY (Summer Sale)
Torchlight II (Summer Sale, 1/4 of a 4-pack)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Summer Sale)
The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings (Summer Sale)
Civilization V GOTY Upgrade (Winter Sale)
Civilization V: Korea/Wonders DLC Combo (Winter Sale)

Amazon DVG
NBA 2K12
Red Faction: Armageddon + Path to War DLC
Football Manager 2012
Saints Row the Third (vanilla)
*Prototype Franchise Bundle
*Majesty Franchise Bundle
*THQ Tantalizing Action Pack
*Darksiders Franchise Pack (used THQ coupon)
*Saints Row the Third: The Full Package (Tony got me to double dip in the same year!)
*The WTF Pack (used 2K coupon)
Spec Ops: The Line (used EC coupon)
FIFA 2K13 (used EC coupon)

So I'm clearly a fan the small, focused bundles that Steam seems to be unable to match right now. Thanks for the great deals Tony!

*Assuming that these granted EC coupons, so 2 used, 4 to go!

#17190 Trusty Mutsi

Trusty Mutsi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I still need to finish Mass Effect 2, but I'm tempted to bite on Mass Effect 3 DD for $15 (with the coupon). I'd like to play the multiplayer before it's dead, and the DD version comes with "From Ashes", which is normally $10.