Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#17251 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

All this Secret World talk is temping but I fail to see the appeal. The rating are just ok but you guys seem crazy for it. What's the appeal?
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#17252 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

People.. seriously..

The Promo items for TSW are not the same as Issue 5 and the DLC.

Every time someone disseminates bad info, a puppy is killed.

#17253 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

All this Secret World talk is temping but I fail to see the appeal. The rating are just ok but you guys seem crazy for it. What's the appeal?

Okay, keep in mind - I was in the TSW Beta (week before it got released to Retail). I don't know how much different the game is now since it was in Beta - but I spent like 10 hours or so with it.

TSW's big appeal is the typical Funcom excellence in this stuff - amazing story itself and amazing storytelling; fantastic characters; great voice-acting; extremely well-written dialogue; and excellent game-worlds themselves. Their games usually consist of these - i.e. see TLJ and Dreamfall, for example. TSW (Beta) definitely upheld typical Funcom tradition here, if you ask me.

My question w/ Funcom -> it seems to, of late, be gameplay - see Dreamfall and TSW.
I don't know what it is w/ them - but gameplay and combat often is not-so-great with them and some of their recent games.

TSW's biggest problem for me in the Beta was the combat felt very clunky and floaty. You couldn't bind attacks to your left mouse, either - which I found odd (since most games put main attack THERE).
Also, I was NOT fond of lack of quest variety early on - i.e. Kill X enemies; kill X enemies in a certain fashion; find X locations; find X people; etc etc.
Also, around that time, I played Dead Island & all of its DLC's - and at that time, I really wasn't up for Kingsmouth (an area in TSW) being loaded w/ a Zombie Apocalypse.

#17254 sasuke543

sasuke543

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Does anyone have a coupon that they don't plan on using? Would love to get Walking Dead for $7! :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17255 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Went in and bought two more copies of The Walking Dead yesterday (three total from Amazon :D) . Gifted one to a buddy and will gift the other (plus Civ V and the God's expansion from the strategy pack) to my other friend for his birthday later this month. Thanks for making my gift shopping cheaper, Tony! :D

#17256 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Okay, keep in mind - I was in the TSW Beta (week before it got released to Retail). I don't know how much different the game is now since it was in Beta - but I spent like 10 hours or so with it.

TSW's big appeal is the typical Funcom excellence in this stuff - amazing story itself and amazing storytelling; fantastic characters; great voice-acting; extremely well-written dialogue; and excellent game-worlds themselves. Their games usually consist of these - i.e. see TLJ and Dreamfall, for example. TSW (Beta) definitely upheld typical Funcom tradition here, if you ask me.

My question w/ Funcom -> it seems to, of late, be gameplay - see Dreamfall and TSW.
I don't know what it is w/ them - but gameplay and combat often is not-so-great with them and some of their recent games.

TSW's biggest problem for me in the Beta was the combat felt very clunky and floaty. You couldn't bind attacks to your left mouse, either - which I found odd (since most games put main attack THERE).
Also, I was NOT fond of lack of quest variety early on - i.e. Kill X enemies; kill X enemies in a certain fashion; find X locations; find X people; etc etc.
Also, around that time, I played Dead Island & all of its DLC's - and at that time, I really wasn't up for Kingsmouth (an area in TSW) being loaded w/ a Zombie Apocalypse.

I hated Dead Island, but I'm loving the Secret World. I get the feeling a lot of the extra stuff that elevates the game wasn't out when you played.

For instance, the investigation missions require some interesting mental gymnastics, some stealth/platforming stuff, etc. It's one of the most varied MMOs I've ever played.

The combat isn't quite as fluid as Guild Wars 2, but I like it well enough for the extra customization and such.

#17257 teenwolf

teenwolf

hic sunt leones

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yeah we are, not matching right now though because, at minimum, we'll have that price, and it MAY be added to the EC list (still figuring it out). Remember the last time we sold the franchise pack for $13.19 and then applied a coupon to it? We had 4098324438480928423094823 pages of rage.

Like I said, at minimum, it'll be a DOTW in Jan, I'm giving it a better than 50% chance of making it into EC. Call it like 65% likely.

Cheers,
Tony

Thank you for your response on this, Tony. I am quite interested in seeing this happen, hopefully it does. I have only had Max Payne 3 to buy with my numerous coupons so far!

#17258 puffy

puffy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

About Jack in ME3...

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17259 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

People.. seriously..

DLC 5 is also free on the store for her. So... You should chill, bro.

#17260 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I hated Dead Island, but I'm loving the Secret World. I get the feeling a lot of the extra stuff that elevates the game wasn't out when you played.

For instance, the investigation missions require some interesting mental gymnastics, some stealth/platforming stuff, etc. It's one of the most varied MMOs I've ever played.

The combat isn't quite as fluid as Guild Wars 2, but I like it well enough for the extra customization and such.

There was a platforming/stealth mission in TSW Beta, which I liked...
Spoiler

I was also in GW2 Beta - and yeah, that game's combat felt really good. :D Also, I liked the way the questing in the game-world w/ tons of players was handled (everybody is on this one map and they are all working together to get objectives done, even if they aren't in a party together) and the decision-making you could make in your "instanced" personal quests.

Thank God for NDA's.

#17261 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Spoiler

I did read up on that, yes - since I didn't take those choices.

But, that still doesn't help my play-through, where I...
Spoiler

#17262 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hmmm are they still giving away the freebie content for The Secret World? I might bite now that it would be $12.99 again. Really hoping for a deal on Guild Wars 2. Should have bitten at $30 on that.

I know they extended the sale on game time that was supposed to end December 31 to January 7th. Presumably this applied to the free bonuses and such that were also supposed to end December 31 but I don't know anyone who bought it today that can say for sure.

Keep in mind that the Initiate Pack bonuses really aren't a deal breaker either way. A few newbie weapons you'll quickly outgrow (and aren't at all necessary for the first couple levels anyway since they're quite easy), an ornamental pet and some faction jackets that everyone else will be owning anyway. I mean, all things being equal, if you were offered both for the same price you'd want the extra swag but the lack of it shouldn't deter anyone from buying the game.

The extra Issue (plot expansion) won't matter to you until later and you can decide then if it's worth what'll essentially be a $5 DLC purchase. Plenty to do without it since it hasn't even been released yet.

#17263 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I was also in GW2 Beta - and yeah, that game's combat felt really good. :D Also, I liked the way the questing in the game-world w/ tons of players was handled (everybody is on this one map and they are all working together to get objectives done, even if they aren't in a party together) and the decision-making you could make in your "instanced" personal quests.

Thank God for NDA's.

That was great. Oddly enough, a lot of times in an MMO people don't want to go through the hassle of partying up. Whether it's because they are shy, intimidated, I don't know, it just happens more than it should in an MMO, but that way of questing took the awkward partying up easy. Just walk into the area and get to working. The only problem is that later on as you level that starts happening less since.

#17264 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

i'm really sad that i don't have space on my hard drive for the secret world...
might buy an msata right now actually

#17265 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info on TSW
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#17266 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

This! I really don't get what all the omg-hard talk is about, but then again I've been gaming since games were hard and quarters were few. The DS:PTD death penalty less than in Diablo II.

Well, yeah. When you die in Diablo II you have to make a new character.

(Everyone did play Hardcore, right?)

#17267 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

@TONY
I'm totally liking the way you got the FAQ's all set-up AFTER the deals in Post 1 and 2. :D

#17268 nosferatu51

nosferatu51

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

i'm really sad that i don't have space on my hard drive for the secret world...
might buy an msata right now actually

All my Amazon game buying has forced my hand on another Amazon purchase. They've got a 2tb Seagate drive for $90 to hold it all......
Posted Image

#17269 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

All my Amazon game buying has forced my hand on another Amazon purchase. They've got a 2tb Seagate drive for $90 to hold it all......

Internal (for playing) or external (just for back-up purposes)?

#17270 nosferatu51

nosferatu51

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I always try to keep it internal.... ;)
Posted Image

#17271 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

People.. seriously..

No but both promos were supposed to end 12/31 (and the game time promo too) but were extended so presumably if you get one you get the other. That is the way it has been thus far.

Keep in mind that the Initiate Pack bonuses really aren't a deal breaker either way. A few newbie weapons you'll quickly outgrow (and aren't at all necessary for the first couple levels anyway since they're quite easy), an ornamental pet and some faction jackets that everyone else will be owning anyway. I mean, all things being equal, if you were offered both for the same price you'd want the extra swag but the lack of it shouldn't deter anyone from buying the game.

The extra Issue (plot expansion) won't matter to you until later and you can decide then if it's worth what'll essentially be a $5 DLC purchase. Plenty to do without it since it hasn't even been released yet.

Issue 5 is out. You get it as an inventory item. I have it now I just haven't done it yet.

mdUFwSE.png

#17272 shaggyc

shaggyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

3. Prices generally flip between 12:30-1AM on the first day of the planned sale.

Tony, Update looks good, might want to add this time is PST.
Posted Image

#17273 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Tony, Update looks good, might want to add this time is PST.

Agreed.

Also, Tony should note on the price-matching stuff:
Amazon DVG does NOT match RETAIL-BOXED deals [i.e. physical brick & mortar retail stores or warehouses, where you buy physical PC games on CD/DVD that come in a physical box; in a jewel case; and/or paper sleeves].

#17274 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

No but both promos were supposed to end 12/31 (and the game time promo too) but were extended so presumably if you get one you get the other. That is the way it has been thus far.

Issue 5 is out. You get it as an inventory item. I have it now I just haven't done it yet.

I get it... believe me. But they ARE different.

And people assuming things is exactly how people get hurt feelings and start whining to Tony.

P.S. No need to "chill" "BRO". Just making sure people understand there is a difference. (not Motoki, the other person)

P.P.S. Motoki, you haven't started it yet? It's right where the bird is flapping around for the Mayan quest in Savage Coast. If people are still out there farming you can easily get out there just following the road.

#17275 Correlli

Correlli

The guy with the small brain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Ugh. The discussion of TSW is trying to drag a purchase out of me. I stopped WoW years ago, don't really want to get sucked into another MMO. But I would likely get $12 enjoyment out of it.

#17276 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I get it... believe me. But they ARE different.

And people assuming things is exactly how people get hurt feelings and start whining to Tony.

I always try to be careful to mention that the pattern thus far has been if you get the initiate pack then you also get issue $5 however since both were supposed to end 12/31 there are no guarantees. I know how people in this thread can get. :-P

I actually think that whole January 7th extension they mentioned on the December game time sale applies to all bonuses and promotions that were supposed to end 12/31. They just didn't do a very good job of clarifying that point.

P.P.S. Motoki, you haven't started it yet? It's right where the bird is flapping around for the Mayan quest in Savage Coast. If people are still out there farming you can easily get out there just following the road.

Is it fairly doable for low levels? I wasn't sure so I hadn't messed with it yet.

mdUFwSE.png

#17277 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Promise? :D

#17278 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

so can anyone tell me for sure how much empty hard drive space i need for the secret world?

#17279 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Is it fairly doable for low levels? I wasn't sure so I hadn't messed with it yet.

"The Search for Tyler Freeborn" is. The one after that, "The Research of Tyler Freeborn" I hit a wall (pretty hard) with one of the guardians. He was basically a big beast that I think you need to be QL9-10 to do. :-) Big WALL

Edit: I seem to remember there being a fairly big baddie in the Search as well that took some maneuvering (and someone stopping to help). Maybe that would be a roadblock for some. So I guess going from THAT perspective, then yea... not for low levels.

so can anyone tell me for sure how much empty hard drive space i need for the secret world?

My folder is 36.1 Gb.

#17280 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Ugh. The discussion of TSW is trying to drag a purchase out of me. I stopped WoW years ago, don't really want to get sucked into another MMO. But I would likely get $12 enjoyment out of it.

TSW is not wow. It's got a strong story component that feels more like a single-player experience than an MMO. I bet you could play through it and stop when you've exhausted the story portion and feel completely satisfied, unlike WoW which is... never-ending meta-gaming stuff.