Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#17911 nbread

nbread

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

You Don't Know Jack (Before Coupon) 7.49
(After Coupon)

Spoiler

Code lurked! Rats!

(Not Bad Rats.)

But thanks for your generosity nevertheless. :D

#17912 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

You know how this thread sometimes gets derailed? I do that in every tech meeting. No word on a cart yet.

How about the ability to wishlist downloadable titles? Has this been brought before the tech meeting?

Sadly i can't confirm this. I just registered Alice Steam Key on Origin and it shows up in the Library just as "Alice: Madness Returns".

Haven't tried downloading it right now, but i doubt there is Alice 1 bundled with it, hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

Alice 1 isn't a separate executable, it is playable from a menu in Alice: Madness Returns so you would have to download the game to confirm.

Dark Souls (Okay price, but it's a horrible port that is only made to be worthwhile on the PC with user mods that could get you banned from GFWL. I'm sorry, but that kills the value.)

That only has a slight chance of happening if you 1.)unlock the frame rate from 30 FPS (which is off by default in the DSfix mod) and 2.)Play online, all of the rest of the improvements work perfectly fine with GFWL.

Guardian_owl.png

#17913 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Negative. Let's try that again.

Key:
Own
Don't Care/Don't want

My version would be...

1. Walking Dead
2. Hotline Miami
3. Borderlands 2 (best deal you could have gotten through us)
4. XCOM (best deal you could have gotten through us)
5. Far Cry 3
6. NBA 2K13
7. Dark Souls
8. Battlefield 3 Premium Service
9. The Crazy Action Pack (formerly WTF pack)
10. The Desert to Sea Pack
11. The Super Strategy Pack

Lol.

elessar123.png

#17914 tjs09

tjs09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

You Don't Know Jack (Before Coupon) 7.49
(After Coupon)

Spoiler

For some strange reason I found this fun..

76561198039756693.png

#17915 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Oops you CAN get Alice 1 with the Steam key. First you need to register the steam key in Steam. When you are in your library bring Alice: Madness Returns up. Copy the CD key from the link in the description. Paste the key into Origin as a product. When you download the Origin version, it includes Alice 1.

I have not personally tried it but this may mean that you only need the standard steam key.

Excellent -- I had no idea that Steam products could also be registered on Origin. The only Origin game I had was Kingdoms of Amalur, so I decided to populate my list:

• Alice: The Madness Returns and Dead Space 2 registered properly.
  • Dead Space 1 and Mirror's Edge didn't have determinable keys to try.
  • Mass Effect 1 did not register.
  • Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition gave me a selection, as if it was registering properly, but instead of a confirmation screen I received a "page not found" error.

#17916 espy

espy

Original Transported Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Excellent -- I had no idea that Steam products could also be registered on Origin. The only Origin game I had was Kingdoms of Amalur, so I decided to populate my list:

• Alice: The Madness Returns and Dead Space 2 registered properly.
  • Dead Space 1 and Mirror's Edge didn't have determinable keys to try.
  • Mass Effect 1 did not register.
  • Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition gave me a selection, as if it was registering properly, but instead of a confirmation screen I received a "page not found" error.

If you livechat Origin support, they will help you register ME1 on Origin. Not sure about DAOUE though.

#17917 Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Any chance Dark Souls will be $10 after coupon this month? I want to get it but it's just a bit out of my reach.

#17918 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $5 after coupon would be great.

#17919 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Well, I just got stomped on several times...I'm terribad with Jax.

Question guys,

We are about to launch a new pre-order campaign for an upcoming title and trying to decide on what incentive to go with. Here are the choices:

1. Pre-order X game and get your choice of one of <insert a number here> games from the publisher of X game.
2. Pre-order X game and get $20 off ANY game or games from the publisher of game X. With promotions from publisher X happening around the same time as the campaign launches.
3. Pre-order X Game and get a $10 Amazon Promotional Credit
4. Pre-order X Game for Y% off

These are all real options we're kicking around, I'd like to hear your input, and why you chose what you chose.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#17920 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

Question guys,

We are about to launch a new pre-order campaign for an upcoming title and trying to decide on what incentive to go with. Here are the choices:

1. Pre-order X game and get your choice of one of <insert a number here> games from the publisher of X game.
2. Pre-order X game and get $20 off ANY game or games from the publisher of game X. With promotions from publisher X happening around the same time as the campaign launches.

These are all real options we're kicking around, I'd like to hear your input, and why you chose what you chose.

Cheers,
Tony

1 and 2 will vary GREATLY depening on the publisher. As many people own some publishers entire lineup almost or some publishers only have a few gems in their lineup and it comes back to people probably owning them. These are good offers, but it really is a by publisher thing (I doubt you could tell us which publisher right now, I'm guessing maybe 2K with Bioshock Infinite coming around the corner maybe?).

3 is probably the weakest of the bunch imo

4. Depends on the % off, this has the chance to be the best, because most of us rather have our savings right up front and not tied into potentially another purchase. It is one of the reasons GMG has become so popular, preorders at great % off for hot new games.

If I had to select from those 4 choices, I"d pick the 4th one with the info currently provided.

#17921 tominater12

tominater12

Another Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

Question guys,

Cheers,
Tony

All of them could be great depending on what is offered. I really like number 4 though.

#17922 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Any chance Dark Souls will be $10 after coupon this month? I want to get it but it's just a bit out of my reach.

The Dark Souls coupon sale just ended a few days ago [it was on sale for 10 days]. It was $13 after coupon. DS probably won't make a come back at that price during the January coupon sale.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#17923 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Just a heads up, Vessel was in Humble Bundle 6, so you can probably find it for much cheaper on the trading thread (with 4 other games).

The game isn't really worth more than a dollar or two by itself, since being in a HIB devalues it.

I'd like to disagree.
Just because a game is part of a bundle, or has been cheaper at one point, does not devalue a game. It can bring attention to the game, yes. But that doesn't mean the game itself is worth less.

Vessel is an amazing game. Brilliant design, and it's just overall a gorgeous game. It's definitely a game people should check out, at any price.

#17924 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Question guys,

Cheers,
Tony

Really hard to say which option I'd choose without the specifics, and here's why:

1. Nice option if the free game is one that I don't already have (and have interest in) or doesn't suck, if it's accepted as a generally crappy game (very poor metacritic scores, and bad user reviews) then I'd skip this option. Would also skip if I already own free game.

2. I think this option requires the least specifics, if you're running promotions on the games you can get for $20 off, I'd say this is a very good promo if the sale prices are right, but may depend on who the publisher is (some like to have sale prices near MSRP)

3. Not bad, but depends entirely on the % you get off from option 4. If credit is more than the % you'd save, I'd go with the credit IF you can spend it on anything on Amazon (not sure how promotional credit would apply?).

4. Depends on percentage off, and how it compares to option 3. If "promotional credit" from option 3 is limited in what you can use it on (not really sure what they usually apply to, I don't think I've ever preordered PCDD stuff on Amazon) I'd rather go with option 4.

I think overall, 2 and 4 are the best, but again.. really need specifics (which I know you probably can't tell us at this time).

#17925 tjs09

tjs09

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Question guys,

These really depend on the publisher and their games. If it's a AAA publisher like WB or 2k, the answer is yes. If it's a niche publisher like 1c or Kalypso (Telltale excluded), I wouldn't bite.

Is this $10 store credit, or a $10 coupon similar to the $5 ones we have now? The first one is alot more attractive.

If Y is >25%, I doubt I'd be able to keep myself from pre-ordering if I was interested in the game. Anything less is not going to happen.

In the end, alot of this depends on the game. If it's not something I'd usually be into, then it would take something much more drastic to get me to preorder..

76561198039756693.png

#17926 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Here's my embarrassing haul: (For the past 2 months)

Oh, good. Finally someone with one more embarrassing than mine.
Sir, I salute you.

#17927 60fps

60fps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Question guys,

Cheers,
Tony

1. Depends on the publisher and what games we can select from. It becomes less attractive if you already own most of the catalog from that publisher. I reject most Steam games that come with a free copy of something I already own.

2. Same as above.

3. This is the best one to me since I can use this on anything indefinitly.

4. As a CAG I feel this is the worse since no matter the pre-order price I can always wait it out until the game hits a price I like on my own.

IMO pre-orders aren't worth buying unless they give me something that I wouldn't be able to acquire any other way. In-game items don't matter to me, discounts will be greater after game release, and another game is only good if I don't own it and want to play it.

I think money towards future purchases that don't expire, or at leas last maybe a year, are the only fair and balanced offers. It feels way less restrictive and can remain valuable until you're ready to make another purchase.

#17928 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

1. depends how restricted the selection is
2. might be good
3. not that good, basically most new games are $60, $50 aint that tempting
4. possibly the worst depending on the %
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#17929 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

That only has a slight chance of happening if you 1.)unlock the frame rate from 30 FPS (which is off by default in the DSfix mod) and 2.)Play online, all of the rest of the improvements work perfectly fine with GFWL.

Eh... that kinda kills it for me. 30 FPS, 2-3 feet away from a monitor looks awful.

I'd like to disagree.
Just because a game is part of a bundle, or has been cheaper at one point, does not devalue a game. It can bring attention to the game, yes. But that doesn't mean the game itself is worth less.

Vessel is an amazing game. Brilliant design, and it's just overall a gorgeous game. It's definitely a game people should check out, at any price.

I'm not saying the game is suddenly crappier since it was in a bundle, I'm saying that whether anyone likes it or not, the game is worth less as soon as it's in a bundle. There are exceptions, like with Indie Royale (because it's usually pretty damn expensive), but in general, it's a universal rule that a bundle game is worth less in the eyes of everyone, because it's easier to pick up for a very low price.

In Vessel's case, no matter how good of a game it is, it was one of four games you got for a measly $1. That really kills it's value in the future. Heck, you can probably hop on the Steam thread and buy it (with the other three games) for 2 or 3 bucks.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#17930 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

it was one of four games you got for a measly $1.

If you're only paying $1 for the HIB, then you're totally doing it wrong. besides, you don't get any Steam keys for the minimum, so there's not a lot of value there, so I think that takes away a bit of your argument.

#17931 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

If you're only paying $1 for the HIB, then you're totally doing it wrong. besides, you don't get any Steam keys for the minimum, so there's not a lot of value there, so I think that takes away a bit of your argument.

$1 is the min to get Steam keys. There use to not be any min till the great coal incident of 2011

#17932 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

What're you talking about? If you're a true cheapass, paying $1 is usually the best way to go unless the BTA games appeal to you. You get Steam keys for paying $1. Anyway, I agree with Idiotekque. Bundle inclusion does devalue games greatly, especially when a game is in a Humble Bundle. Many are bought for $1 and a lot of people grab extras. No matter how you look at it, if a game is nearly free to a massive amount of people.. it will be devalued.

Edited by spoderman, 08 January 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#17933 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Just an FYI:

If you can deal with nasty old school physical media, and you have an Ollie's Bargain Outlet near you, they're selling YDKJ for $2.99. :)

Hell Yeah!!!! My wife has wanted You Don't Know Jack for about a year and a half now, but it's never been marked off much. Make it Happen, Tony! or even make it 7.49 before coupon.

#17934 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Well steam keys weren't even added until half way through HIB #2. The Humble Botanicula Debut was unusual in having a $5 min for steam keys.

Humble Bundle is truly Pay-What-You-Want. The only way to screw up it to miss it completely.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#17935 KillingMachine

KillingMachine

CAGnificent!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Question guys,

Cheers,
Tony

It's hard to say for sure when the games are unknown, but options #2 and #3 sound the most preferable to me.

Option #2 would be decent enough if it can be applied to ANY game, not as much if you're restricted to just one publisher.

Option #3 is nice because I can always use Amazon credit, but $10 isn't usually enough to get me to jump at a pre-order I wasn't already intending to make. Back when it was more common to see $20 Amazon promo credit on some console game pre-orders, that was enough to convince me into picking up several of those games that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

The thing is, pre-orders in general are kind of a hard sell for me these days. With massive backlogs of games to play and prices dropping as fast as they do, a game has to be pretty special to want to plunk down a pre-order on it. Any deal good enough to make me reconsider waiting around months for a better price would be one I'd take notice of.

#17936 espy

espy

Original Transported Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

What're you talking about? If you're a true cheapass, paying $1 is usually the best way to go unless the BTA games appeal to you. You get Steam keys for paying $1. Anyway, I agree with Idiotekque. Bundle inclusion does devalue games greatly, especially when a game is in a Humble Bundle. Many are bought for $1 and a lot of people grab extras. No matter how you look at it, if a game is nearly free to a massive amount of people.. it will be devalued.

Because tons of people pay more than the minimum to support the (usually indie) developers and charities often associated with these bundles. I think plenty of "true cheapass" people here do that.

#17937 krushnine

krushnine

snausages.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

For me, publisher-specific bonuses really depend on whether I already have the games or have interest in them, so it will be hit or miss. At least the nice thing about Amazon is that you get separate keys for the extra items, so at least one can give the dupes/unwanted keys away.

However, I mostly prefer a straight up discount. Amazon credit is ok if I can use it for whatever. And although I love Amazon, the discounts really need to be competitive with GMG and their ridiculously low preorder prices, since the cheapass in me will always go for the lowest price. I hate to pay a lot for new release games, since I have a huge backlog and the game will probably be a lot cheaper by the time I get around to playing it anyways.

#17938 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Question guys,

Cheers,
Tony

Disclaimer: I don't preorder many games anymore. After getting burned by TDU2 and Brink, I'm much more selective in what I buy before release. I did preorder Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs though, and didn't regret either.

Not really enough information to make a good decision. Like many have said, it depends heavily on the publisher. Option 1 is probably a non-starter, since I'd expect this to be a list of older titles from the publisher that most of us have probably already purchased on deep discount somewhere if we were interested. With option 2, how long would the credit be good for? There may not be anything the publisher has out that I want right now at the price they're currently asking, but 3-6 months down the road there may be a price drop or a new preorder that draws me in. Options 3 and 4 seems fairly interchangeable, with 4 being desired if the % off is $10 or more since it'd give me more flexibility with my money. Though if I'm being completely honest, GreenManGaming is the current market leader for preorders if it's a title they carry. For the CAG crowd you'd generally have to beat or match their 20-35% off to grab our interest.

Edit: If it's a multiplayer game, a 4-pack for the price of 3 deal that a lot of titles offer would be very enticing. Not one of the options you listed, but that's one of the most likely scenarios in which I'll preorder, if I can convince 3 other friends to play a game with me at launch and save all of us some cash.

Edited by Genocidal, 08 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#17939 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Question guys,

Cheers,
Tony

Speaking as someone who has done pre-orders with Green Man Gaming, the $10 credit does help a lot towards encouraging someone to place their pre-order. And now that Green Man is generally not allowing 'doubling up' with their %off discount combined with their pre-order credit, Amazon should have generally identical prices.

The credit is usually a good incentive for me to place a pre-order down, esp. if it's someplace I know I'll be buying from again later. Probably my preferred option, as I imagine it being the 'best deal' (generally worth more than % off) and not as restrictive as 'free game from same publisher' or '$20 off a game from the same publisher', which can very likely go unused.

% off is appealing too, but I suspect it would not be as 'great' a deal as the credit, given that's how it usually goes.

#17940 LN3000

LN3000

Companion Cube

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

My bad, I guess I was thinking about the BTA games. But either way, I guess that's still part of where I don't quite belong in this thread. I'm all good with getting games for cheap, but I think of it as a gift, rather than something I'm entitled to. ("Oh, I'm not going to pay anything more than $5 for a game ever, all the deals in the EC list are crap, why can't they be cheaper, blah blah". :P )

So I guess I'm a cheap ass, but also value the games themselves, and consider myself lucky if I'm able to get a game for really cheap. Rather than a "right" as some people treat it as.

And since the average is typically way more than $1, most people would probably agree with me.