Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#18331 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I don't remember the original Alice being good in terms of innovated gameplay. It was interesting at the time due to its artstyle and "twisted" storyline on a classic story. Don't know when Alice Complete is coming (if ever) to Steam so I don't mind Origin since it isn't any more inconvient compared to steam.

What's the problem with Origin?

Nothing, its just not Steam so people hate on it because they prefer their collection on 1 account.

#18332 lnknprk

lnknprk

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I need to get to Darksiders too, couldn't pass up on $8.19 for the entire pack. Is finishing 1 crucial to playing 2?

Finishing Darksiders 1 is not as important since Darksiders 2 runs parallel to Darksiders 1. It's basically while War was imprisoned after the events of the first 10 minutes of Darksiders 1 Death is trying right things. Darksiders 2 will end up spoiling the ending to Darksiders 1, but I promise you that it won't ruin either game for you. I myself only played the intro to Darksiders 1, then played Darksiders 2, then went back and played Darksiders 1.

#18333 tritangle

tritangle

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Some of the bundles are showing up as costing more than 100 bucks. I think Amazon's computers are trying for a hostile takeover. Gonna need more than a five dollar credit to bit on those! :P

The bundle costs more than the individual price!

#18334 G_freemanX

G_freemanX

HAF LAFE 3 pls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Well..the buying madness has ended for me..i have nothing more else to buy.., and i have like 7 coupons left!!..

#18335 Fonz72

Fonz72

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi Tony,

Is there any chance this could be price matched?

Command & Conquer™ The Ultimate Collection - $16.99 (66% off) - offered by GameStop

I would instantly buy it from Amazon!

Yup, insta buy from Amazon.

#18336 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

What's the problem with Origin?

It's a rather clumsy distribution client that is only for EA games. There is nothing wrong with it per se, but a lot of games that were or would otherwise be available on Steam are now Origin-only. Lots of people like to keep their collections streamlined into one client so multiple clients, especially publisher-exclusive clients, are an annoyance.

AFAIK there is no *invasive* DRM, it's just that the politics of the situation cuts down on people's options.

#18337 menewbe

menewbe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

thanks for the reply, though I'm wondering why I was just sent what looks like a single key instead.
Here's what it shows up as

Spoiler

I was hoping for separate keys as I already own the base game

Have you tried pressing the View product key button?. I didn't buy a shooter pack myself but I did buy it from a fellow CAG that bought it and he sent me 3 keys. Maybe, they set it to 1 key only later. :-k

No, not yet because I asked amazon cs if they could swap my one key and get separate keys instead. waiting on their reply

to anyone bought DNF complete in the shooter pack, did clicking the view key button yield 3 keys?

#18338 shezbot

shezbot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

thanks for the reply, though I'm wondering why I was just sent what looks like a single key instead.
Here's what it shows up as

Spoiler

I was hoping for separate keys as I already own the base game

If you click on it it shows you three separate keys. I was disappointed at first since I had the base, and just wanted the DLC, was going to gift the base game. When I clicked view keys though it showed all three separately

#18339 oman19

oman19

Master of the Universe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

yup...that's exactly it. I like having everything in one place. Always bums me out in bundles when a game has a Desura key. I'm anal and like to find banners for all my non steam games but some of them I can't find.

#18340 menewbe

menewbe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

If you click on it it shows you three separate keys. I was disappointed at first since I had the base, and just wanted the DLC, was going to gift the base game. When I clicked view keys though it showed all three separately

oh awesome thank you for the reply! that's the answer I was hoping to hear :D

#18341 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's a rather clumsy distribution client that is only for EA games. There is nothing wrong with it per se, but a lot of games that were or would otherwise be available on Steam are now Origin-only. Lots of people like to keep their collections streamlined into one client so multiple clients, especially publisher-exclusive clients, are an annoyance.

AFAIK there is no *invasive* DRM, it's just that the politics of the situation cuts down on people's options.

Agreed, I don't think anyone is saying it's invasive. It's a hell of a lot better than some DRM schemes like Securom that EA has used in the past. It's just easier to have most of a game collection on one place for some people.

Also I don't know if Origin is quite up to speed on a lot of features Steam has like automatic updates and such. I still can't quite make out if Origin does them. I know with Sims 3 if you get all the games at once it's a lot more of a pain in the butt on Origin because you have to install them all one by one vs one download on Steam and you're done.

Oh and Amazon really should start putting "Origin" in the DRM field for the games that require Origin like the Command and Conquer pack and (the new) Sim City.

yup...that's exactly it. I like having everything in one place. Always bums me out in bundles when a game has a Desura key. I'm anal and like to find banners for all my non steam games but some of them I can't find.

I like Desura. I resisted it for a long time but when I finally caved because there were just so many bundle games that had keys for it and weren't on Steam I found that it's actually quite flexible and works really well.

The reality is there are just some games that won't ever make it onto Steam or it will be a long time before they do. For indie games, Desura is the next best option and far preferably for me than having a bunch of games without a client or making shortcuts on Steam and then having to constantly go back and manually see if there are updates, because a lot of these indie games are newer and still works in progress.

My only gripe with Desura is that they are so hands off with the indie developers that most forget to ever put their games on sale there. I get 99% of my Desura keys from bundles, but if some other store like Amazon started selling games with Desura keys for a reasonable price, I'd buy them.

steam_sig.png

#18342 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Agreed, I don't think anyone is saying it's invasive. It's a hell of a lot better than some DRM schemes like Securom that EA has used in the past.

I've seen people go ape over Origin automagically locating other EA titles on your system (such as Alice) and adding them to your library. I see that as a handy service but some call it a breach of privacy.

#18343 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Note that the reason for some stuff being Origin only came about from Steam's policy on DLC (In that they prefer if users buy DLC through the Steam client) and EA's desire to sell it through their own portal, which has lead to the current situation.

I find nothing wrong with Origin either, tho I hardly use it. I have maybe a handful of games on Origin, some of which from back before I was buying stuff on Steam with their previous download service.

I've seen people go ape over Origin automagically locating other EA titles on your system (such as Alice) and adding them to your library. I see that as a handy service but some call it a breach of privacy.

I don't mind it at all. Desura does the same thing, actually.
Posted Image

#18344 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

It is. It isn't any of there business what else you have installed on your PC. I've seen this "feature" even cause big headaches too.

My friend was telling me when her brother installed Origin on her PC to play BF3 that he bought (hers is the only one that could run it well) and all of her Steam EA games are now tied to her brothers Origin account. I have no idea if she contacted Origin about it or whatever, but she was pissed and rightfully so. Origin doesn't ask if you want to register the games on the account, it just does it.

#18345 dys006

dys006

Doesn't play games.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Question:
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Downloads/ is still showing that

50% Off XCOM, Borderlands 2, NBA 2K13

Posted Image

I know the dates have passed, but the headline is still there, and Borderlands 2 is still $29.99.

Edited by dys006, 10 January 2013 - 06:40 PM.

New signups, now only spend $2, get $2 free at greenmangaming.com.

#18346 Bacon Parade

Bacon Parade

Moonstone Cannon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Steam Banners has a pretty good collection of em, if you haven't already looked at that.

Tiger_Driver.png

Spoiler

#18347 spacejunk

spacejunk

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Those same people "going ape" over that shouldn't be on the internet if they're concerned about it. Maybe they haven't heard of cookies? Origin seeing what other EA games they have on their system is the least of their worries.

#18348 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

You guys are kidding yourself. It will require Origin.

Just like Mass Effect 3 and Syndicate both of which I bought retail last year. Installs from disk but requires Origin

Good to know. I haven't bought an EA game at retail in a while so I didn't know how they handle it.

That's what scares me...I've tried to get an answer from Amazon CS on whether or not the download option for DS3 is Steam or Origin since DS 1 & 2 are on Steam.

But my guess is since it's not stated, it's most likely Origin.

My hope is that with the physical version, I can opt out of having to redeem it on Origin or just self install it.

I'd hate to get the physical one and have to Origin redeem it, which eliminates any possibility of resale or any real reason to buy physical media anymore...

Looks like it will be Origin.

Personally I don't have a problem with it at all. I currently have like 6 clients installed. Origin seems to run pretty well for me, low resource, just a game DLer/launcher basically.

That one story of it tying one person's games to another account automatically does suck though. Hopefully they fixed that. I don't think I have any EA games outside of Origin so it has never auto added anything for me.

#18349 Aleman

Aleman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Tony,

Any chance you could match Gamestop for $16.99 Command & Conquer™ The Ultimate Collection? Normal price is $49.99.

http://www.impulsedr...s/ESD-IMP-W3564

http://www.amazon.co...and and conquer

#18350 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Good to know. I haven't bought an EA game at retail in a while so I didn't know how they handle it.

It's just like steamworks games that you buy retail. You put the cd in, it launchs the client, you activate it, then it installs the game from the cd. I prefer that if the prices are the same since it keeps my wife from screaming at me for chewing up all the bandwidth.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#18351 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Spec Ops VS Borderlands 1 GOTY is a very weird (and misinformed argument). I've beaten both. Spec Ops is a story heavy 8-10 hour TPS shooter. Borderlands 1 GOTY is a single player (or 4-person coop w/friends) cell shaded FPS with awesome procedurally generated guns, and four playable classes. I have 128 steam hours on BL1 (on just my Siren). In a nutshell it is Diablo with guns. I loved both games, but bang for the buck clearly goes to Borderlands 1 GOTY -- I'd been thinking of playing it again with the Hunter.

Interesting price on C&C Ultimate, that's right next to the limited time price on the-site-that-shall-not-be-mentioned. Also interesting to see GR:FS near $10.

I'm not sure how they are going to handle Dead Space 3 at retail. Box says it requires an internet connection for activation. Don't know if that means they will try to force Origin upon retail buyers? Or it might just be your standard key activation.

The retail C&C Ultimate box only contains a code for Origin -- no round plastic thingies.

I figured the original from 2000 would play just like playing N64 games today...not good unless it's Mario Kart.

TMR will probably end up cheap next Steam sale so I might wait.

You failed to mention the best reason to own an N64: 007 Goldeneye... Slim Jim time!

If you are going to slam an old game for dated graphics please check for graphical overhaul mods. I, for one, was already aware of, American McGee's Alice HD (texture overhaul).

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#18352 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

The retail C&C Ultimate box only contains a code for Origin -- no round plastic thingies.

Really? They just stuck a key on a piece of paper, boxed it up all pretty and called it good? Wow.

Considering how Slooooow the C&C games were for me to download from Origin recently and the fact that beyond the initial 'hey let's make sure this runs on Windows 7' they did for this pack it's probably not going to get much in the way of updates I think the C&C pack at retail would be better served with putting the data on a disc to install it.

steam_sig.png

#18353 shezbot

shezbot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Really? They just stuck a key on a piece of paper, boxed it up all pretty and called it good? Wow.

Considering how Slooooow the C&C games were for me to download from Origin recently and the fact that beyond the initial 'hey let's make sure this runs on Windows 7' they did for this pack it's probably not going to get much in the way of updates I think the C&C pack at retail would be better served with putting the data on a disc to install it.

There is a cd in it, but it comes with the paper that has the origin code. source - youtube.

#18354 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

After reading about the remote possibility of EA buying darksiders franchise... I got the doubt: darksiders complete or alice complete? I didn't finished Darksiders 1, but only because I got stuck and jumped to another game because my backlog. I saw videos from DS 2 and doesn't seems superior to DS 1

Or maybe I should wait and get the Crysis collection? Already have Crysis 1 on steam, but I'd rather deal with limited activations through amazon, and I think I already wasted about 4 activations with my steam copy

My gaming budget is very small after the holiday sales! I think I can afford Crysis collection + alice/DS2...

Any recommendations?

#18355 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I can't verify personally, but when I was reading reviews on Amazon there were several noting that. I can see three motivations: save a few pennies on the plastic, push Origin accounts, make sure the buyer gets the latest version. I can't decide which of the first two was a greater factor.

There is a cd in it, but it comes with the paper that has the origin code. source - youtube.

Speaking of poorly edited youtube vids.

TL;DW

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#18356 Geekquisitions

Geekquisitions

Evil Incarnate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I just submitted a price match for the C&C bundle *fingers crossed*
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18357 shezbot

shezbot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Speaking of poorly edited youtube vids.

TL;DW

LOL Yeah. takes him forever to open the packaging. Hilarious.

#18358 pantsattack

pantsattack

this computer is a time machine, but it only goes forward

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

What is the site where you can redeem Mass Effect 1 on Origin? The code didn't work when I put it directly into O.

#18359 zennoux

zennoux

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

What is the site where you can redeem Mass Effect 1 on Origin? The code didn't work when I put it directly into O.

You have to talk to Origin Live Help. They will add it manually for you.

In Origin hit Help, Origin Help, then Live Chat.

#18360 xanchui

xanchui

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I think it's https://activate.ea....activategame.do