A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#91 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

the build quality on this thing looks like crap, id rather spend my $ on the previous slim model

#92 SW4J

SW4J

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

Wow...from that video...build quality looks cheap as hell

#93 SEGAMew

SEGAMew

Sonic Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Cheap looking, and I can't plug 4 wired controllers at once into it.

#94 zyk

zyk

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

Funny how the top loader or whatever you call it just flings open when its flat, but when its on its side it smoothly opens.

#95 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

I bet it won't read the disc if the door's open as a piracy measure (Remember SwapMagic anyone?), so when that cheap ass door breaks your gonna be SOL. I agree, snap up the previous slim instead. Just curious, does anyone know yet if they changed the chip spec, like going down in the nm process for the chips again or anything? Remember that the slim runs cooler cause they changed the chip spec (a couple times actually), I was just wondering if they did something similiar here as well.
From Wiki:
"It was rumored that the Cell processors in the third-generation PS3s (40 GB, 2008 80 GB and 160 GB) would move from a 90 nm process to the newer 65 nm process,[79] which SCEI CEO Kaz Hirai later confirmed,[80] and later to 45 nm. This change lowers the power consumption of the console and makes it less expensive to produce.[81]"

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#96 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

Size looks nice...but that thing looks extremely cheaply made. Hope my Slim doesn't crap out on me anytime soon!

#97 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

I'm passing on this thing. I'll take the current one instead and hopefully there will be a nice price drop for the 320 GB slim on Black Friday. I'm thinking $150-200.

Yeah, that is very unlikely to happen. Whatever they produced and is out there now in retail stores or warehouses, that's it. This is the new model. They aren't gonna be producing 2 models with 4 different hard drive sizes. They never have. When a new model is in, the old model is phased out. So you might see some clearance deals, but by Black Friday my guess is the models we have now will be all gone. I'm gonna wait to see what the reviews are of this one, as far as the performance goes. If they are good, I'm in for a AC3 bundle. If not, then I'm gonna get the 3000 model before they are all done for.

And Jesus folks, all these people already whining about the Disc loader slider? Really? Maybe wait until you actually see one of these? Not in a video with two British folks, one of whom calls the USB port an Ethernet port( dude knows his stuff!!!), but rather with your own eyes and slide it yourself. For all you know, that could be on there super tight and it might take considerably effort to break.

And like someone said, it's a piece of plastic. Unless you open it like an idiot or you have a stupid child, it won't break. And if it does, it's on you for being a moron or bad parent, respectively.

#98 TKSJOHN

TKSJOHN

The Dumpster Diver!

• Silenced

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

"in the us, the 250gb model will be out on september 25, and will include uncharted 3 and a $30 "digital content" voucher for dust 514 (a free-to-play game). It'll cost $270.
There'll also be a 500gb bundle including assassin's creed iii that'll go on sale in the us on october 30. No price on that one yet."

via kotaku

$300!

#99 rbanez

rbanez

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

Looks way better than the current slim in all angles. The cardboard inspired top ain't that bad, might be a lbp reference on their part who knows. I'm actually thinking of trading my ps3 slim for this. I like that you load the disc similar to a ps2 slim or an old cd player (always preferred those over a slot/tray loading lol), being smaller helps too since i game most of the time on a monitor set up on a pc table.

What im playing: 
|  :ps3: Dark Souls II :pray:   |  :vita: Spenlunky |

Recently completed:
- Grand Theft Auto V ( Great game, one of the best this gen )
The Last of Us  ( incredible game. gets the "Most honest and appropriate ending ever" award and goty )

#100 croqoa

croqoa

Turd Sandwich

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

I don't think people are concerned with the disc loader's quality as much as the price being charged.

1) We are nearing the end of this console's life cycle (console prices generally go DOWN then)
2) The prices for the hardware in consoles are constantly dropping (costs generally go DOWN)
3) They are using cheaper parts all over this thing, including that disc loader (costs DOWN)
4) Nintendo is coming out with a new console to compete with (costs DOWN to remain competitive)

Yet despite all that Sony added it up and decided to not actually discount the thing at all, even kicking the price UP in some cases compared to their current model. It just makes no sense...

#101 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

Yeah, that is very unlikely to happen. Whatever they produced and is out there now in retail stores or warehouses, that's it. This is the new model. They aren't gonna be producing 2 models with 4 different hard drive sizes. They never have. When a new model is in, the old model is phased out. So you might see some clearance deals, but by Black Friday my guess is the models we have now will be all gone. I'm gonna wait to see what the reviews are of this one, as far as the performance goes. If they are good, I'm in for a AC3 bundle. If not, then I'm gonna get the 3000 model before they are all done for.

It's not a new model. I'm talking about this.

http://www.bestbuy.c...9&skuId=5403717

#102 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

I don't think people are concerned with the disc loader's quality as much as the price being charged.

1) We are nearing the end of this console's life cycle (console prices generally go DOWN then)
2) The prices for the hardware in consoles are constantly dropping (costs generally go DOWN)
3) They are using cheaper parts all over this thing, including that disc loader (costs DOWN)
4) Nintendo is coming out with a new console to compete with (costs DOWN to remain competitive)

Yet despite all that Sony added it up and decided to not actually discount the thing at all, even kicking the price UP in some cases compared to their current model. It just makes no sense...

What makes no sense is comparing it to a stand alone 160GB model. To give a very simple yet accurate analogy, it would be like buying a plain hamburger for $1.00 at McDonald's and then the next day buying a Big Mac for $1.25 and saying "Wow, they really jacked up the prices, huh?"

You're comparing two totally different things. This bundle costs $20 more, but features a game that will retail for 40 or 50( based on what most GOTY Editions start at) 90GBs more in storage, and a whole lot of DLC for both Uncharted and the other PSN game. Also, 30 days of PSN which I don't think the stand alone ps3 has. All of that for 20 bucks more. You can't reasonable compare it to just a 160GB with nothing else as if they are the same exact thing.

#103 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Look on the bright side, those of us that own PS3s also don't have to worry about our older PS3s dropping in value. :D

#104 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

It's not a new model. I'm talking about this.

http://www.bestbuy.c...9&skuId=5403717

I realize that. That's what i meant. Those bundles are no longer going to be produced and will likely sell out/be clearanced before Black Friday.

#105 sadboy

sadboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:10 AM

But it'll come with a Virtue's Last Reward bracelet, which will negate all of that.
Spoiler

#106 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

What makes no sense is comparing it to a stand alone 160GB model. To give a very simple yet accurate analogy, it would be like buying a plain hamburger for $1.00 at McDonald's and then the next day buying a Big Mac for $1.25 and saying "Wow, they really jacked up the prices, huh?"

You're comparing two totally different things. This bundle costs $20 more, but features a game that will retail for 40 or 50( based on what most GOTY Editions start at) 90GBs more in storage, and a whole lot of DLC for both Uncharted and the other PSN game. Also, 30 days of PSN which I don't think the stand alone ps3 has. All of that for 20 bucks more. You can't reasonable compare it to just a 160GB with nothing else as if they are the same exact thing.

This person gets it!

This person STILL does not get it... and me thinks plays too many retro games (seriously when was the last time anyone had a desire to use four wired controllers)

#107 J7.

J7.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

People complaining about the slide loader will be picking up used Slimmest when their Slim slot loader dies 10 years from now. I expect some nice bundles come Black Friday and a price drop either then or sometime next year. I think Sony's in a lot worse trouble than people realize.

#108 Tygamr

Tygamr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

Meh. I'll pass. My current slim is just fine- the new one looks cheaper (and it is cheaper), it's potentially louder, and I'm not a fan of the rough, corrugated top. I have mixed feelings about the top loading of discs... Honestly not much of an improvement, unless you need your PS3 to be a tad bit smaller.

To the people who think the old models will all disappear- I really doubt it. I was still seeing new phat PS3 models being sold at several stores about a year ago- haven't seen any since though.

#109 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

You could maybe wait to see how much it'll cost when they sell it on its own?

Totally a valid complaint when all official PS3 controllers are wireless.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#110 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

If Sony gave this a custom paint job, added another control and replaced UC3 with say the upcoming God of War game and charged $400 like Microsoft is doing with the Halo 4 console bundle would that make it NOT overpriced?

You can't have it both ways... you are getting more then $20 worth of extras from the standalone original slim currently being offered for sale.

#111 drakma676

drakma676

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Ugh still giving us av cables I see. No hdmi?

#112 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

no point in buying this since i hardly play my ps3. it is tempting though.
Tradelist
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: 5155-4755-9214

#113 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

What the hell.. I just googled this after seeing this thread. Ive been busy and out of the loop the past few weeks so I didn't hear about a new model.

Is this really a friggin top loader model? Like they did with the last run of PS2's? I HATED those things. They were so horrible. I really dont want to buy one of these things if it loads that way. I dont get why they cant just stick with the regular loading mechanism they had before instead of this cheap piece of garbage loader

In fact the whole thing looks like a very cheap piece of junk. Im very concerned. I cant read through all 6 pages right now so let me just ask a couple questions:
1) Is this going to replace the old models? If it is, i better buy a back up of the current models right now. I REALLY dont want to own this weak looking thing. This is the most important question

2)What is actually changing/being removed? Like i said this thing looks extremely cheap. Not just the terrible top loading mechanism.

*sigh* what the hell happened to Sony? The PS2 was probably my favorite console, but they totally droped the ball with the PS3. Now they're making it even lamer

^_^x KD
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#114 rockykai

rockykai

Must not mention Smash...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

If this new model would save a good bit on the electric bill (that it produces when it is running of course), then that is a nice bonus to balance out the price. I would still have to worry about the price of it being plugged in and off as things stand now but that's not as important.

Still, it's looks like its cheaply made and I'm not sure how much money this would save over a slim 160GB model (which is all the space I would need). All I want is a slim 160GB for like $140 or so (game trade-ins and electric bill and discount on games being relative to that) because I still only see myself getting it for 6 games or so.

Sony is making this process feel like work.

#115 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

What the hell.. I just googled this after seeing this thread. Ive been busy and out of the loop the past few weeks so I didn't hear about a new model.

Is this really a friggin top loader model? Like they did with the last run of PS2's? I HATED those things. They were so horrible. I really dont want to buy one of these things if it loads that way. I dont get why they cant just stick with the regular loading mechanism they had before instead of this cheap piece of garbage loader

In fact the whole thing looks like a very cheap piece of junk. Im very concerned. I cant read through all 6 pages right now so let me just ask a couple questions:
1) Is this going to replace the old models? If it is, i better buy a back up of the current models right now. I REALLY dont want to own this weak looking thing. This is the most important question

2)What is actually changing/being removed? Like i said this thing looks extremely cheap. Not just the terrible top loading mechanism.

*sigh* what the hell happened to Sony? The PS2 was probably my favorite console, but they totally droped the ball with the PS3. Now they're making it even lamer

^_^x KD

Yes, this is going to replace the older models. I'm hoping I can eventually get the current slim version at a good discount before they stop producing it and stores no longer carry it.

Besides the cost cutting measures, I'm not aware of any functionality being added or removed in this new model.

#116 MrBubbles

MrBubbles

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

If you're buying a Slim, there's 3 generations of those.

First gen with Cell 45nm and RSX 65nm.
Second gen with Cell 45nm and RSX 45nm.
Third gen with the same as above but also removed LEDs and overall lower power consumption.

#117 blcklblskt

blcklblskt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Third gen with the same as above but also removed LEDs and overall lower power consumption.

Tempted to get the third revision because of the lower power consumption (hopefully runs cooler), but I do like LEDs...

Third version was CECH300X, correct?

#118 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Looks like I should pick up one of the current slims now as a "backup" in case my 80GB YLOD's again.

Though, if it YLOD's again, I'm screwed out of my content anyway, so maybe I should retire her....But he was built so well.....

#119 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

What LEDs did they remove?

#120 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

How is it going up? I'm interested to see this mathematical theorem.

270 > 250.

Pretty basic math, actually. ;)