A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#121 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

The price went up because it includes more storage space. People are acting as if they are the same exact thing.

#122 twstd4lfe

twstd4lfe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

I picked up a 3rd gen off of a crazy Gamestop trade months ago....its kinda loud actually but runs very very cool

#123 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

really? I thought it released in Europe only. I'm talking about America, where things matter! I haven't seen it at best Buy or Amazon or anywhere

U3 GotY is at GameStop.

#124 Havok83

Havok83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

The price went up because it includes more storage space. People are acting as if they are the same exact thing.

and a game + tons of DLC. Theres alot of value added with those 20 bucks
Posted Image

#125 bjkrautk

bjkrautk

Now with Added Sarcasm.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

We all know the storage size went up; it's still odd to be effectively raising the price this late in the device's life.

As someone who can't wait for the non-bundled $249 version of the slimmer, I'm trying to decide between waiting to buy the new one next week vs. paying an extra $30 to buy one of the 320 GB bundles (probably Madden). My BC 60 GB ps3 died last week & I have games to finish before the new fall games hit.

One advantage of the slimmer, it won't swallow the disc when it dies like my ps3 did (power light flashes red at startup and shuts off right away).

#126 ZCG

ZCG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

My main concern is when this Super Slim PS3 is standing vertically how secure the game disc will be. Up to now the PS3 some how "sucked" the game disc; which is one reason we never suffered disc scratches like the Xbox360 owners. Yes I know blue ray discs are coated with a very tough protective layer. That's not what I'm focusing on =) This new layout looks like the game disc is merely pressed onto a spindle.

My secondary concern is the durability of new "sliding door" mechanism. It might be just fine. Hell, I have a 15 year old IBM PC tower that has a similar sliding door & it still works. But what happens if the door starts to catch on the body of the console? That won't look pretty in short order.

#127 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

wait so this new PS3 model has the open lid style like PS2?

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#128 sadboy

sadboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

More like an open mouth.
Spoiler

#129 roundhouse

roundhouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

Looks like I should pick up one of the current slims now as a "backup" in case my 80GB YLOD's again.

Though, if it YLOD's again, I'm screwed out of my content anyway, so maybe I should retire her....But he was built so well.....

You could always just get a PS+ subscription and use the cloud save to make sure you don't lose your game files and whatnot if you do get YLOD. The cloud limit has been upped to 1 GB.

#130 roundhouse

roundhouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

I don't understand how there is so much complaining in this thread but MS continually releases $300-400 bundles with nothing more than Kinect or some other garbage that no one wants. Plus 360 is just a vastly inferior machine to the PS3.

#131 ZCG

ZCG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

I don't understand how there is so much complaining in this thread but MS continually releases $300-400 bundles with nothing more than Kinect or some other garbage that no one wants. Plus 360 is just a vastly inferior machine to the PS3.

I don't understand your confusion. We're not talking about Microsoft Xbox360's, we're talking about Sony PS3 systems. Apples and Oranges.

#132 fortunado

fortunado

Mathematical!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Still only 2 USB slots kills it for me =P

I know right?! USB ports are super expensive you know!

ach.png

#133 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Saw an unboxing of the Super Slim. To me, I imagine a lot of those game lids/covers on the Super Slim will be broken.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#134 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

I don't understand your confusion. We're not talking about Microsoft Xbox360's, we're talking about Sony PS3 systems. Apples and Oranges.

The confusion arises from all the complaining in this thread but not nearly as much as in the Xbox 360 thread which has more expensive bundles.

But it's easy to understand, it's Sony. Everything Sony does is wrong. I don't know when this happened, but Sony is now always wrong with whatever they do.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#135 roundhouse

roundhouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

The confusion arises from all the complaining in this thread but not nearly as much as in the Xbox 360 thread which has more expensive bundles.

But it's easy to understand, it's Sony. Everything Sony does is wrong. I don't know when this happened, but Sony is now always wrong with whatever they do.

So what you're saying is that Sony is the Obama of the video game industry :lol:

#136 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

So what you're saying is that Sony is the Obama of the video game industry :lol:

Exactly.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#137 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

I know right?! USB ports are super expensive you know!

And apparently HDMI cables are too $3 for a 6' cable. C'Mon Sony! WTF? Y U No Give cable?
http://www.monoprice...DB=10240#Search

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#138 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Let's be honest, guys, if this model came with a free foot rub, people would complain that they don't get a back rub too.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#139 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

I preordered a Wii U deluxe, but if this BF there is an epic deal on a PS3, I'm all over it.

Irregardless this is a nice bundle.

#140 J7.

J7.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

Saw an unboxing of the Super Slim. To me, I imagine a lot of those game lids/covers on the Super Slim will be broken.

Ya right because so many original Nintendo's are missing their doors.

#141 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

There are a lot of "OMG that looks so cheapz and will surely failz and breakz" or "WTF only 2 usbeeee portz? How can I charge my Nintendo DS now?" posts.

Shit has anyone even used one? Touched one? Seen one in person?

This thread is driving me crazy.

#142 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

I think you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for the SONY PS3(PlayStation 3) Super Slim which has a door that, to me, seems like it's going to stop sliding back and forth and looks cheaply made.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#143 J7.

J7.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

I think you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for the SONY PS3(PlayStation 3) Super Slim which has a door that, to me, seems like it's going to stop sliding back and forth and looks cheaply made.

Looks stronger than any other door or hinge on a previous system, and I can't recall a single system to have any of their doors or hinges break. In 10 years when your Slim dies you will be running around trying to find a used Slimmest, just like people did with the PS2.

#144 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

Yes, this is going to replace the older models. I'm hoping I can eventually get the current slim version at a good discount before they stop producing it and stores no longer carry it.

Besides the cost cutting measures, I'm not aware of any functionality being added or removed in this new model.

Damn. Just checked with Best Buy and Gamestop to see if theyd heard anything about the older models being discontinued and they hadn't yet, so im still gonna hope this isn't the case, but im starting to think it is. I REALLY hope they dont ditch the old model. This new model looks unbelivably cheap. I still regret not getting a backup PS2 fat when they switched over. I dont want to be in the same boat again with this

Looks like I should pick up one of the current slims now as a "backup" in case my 80GB YLOD's again.

Though, if it YLOD's again, I'm screwed out of my content anyway, so maybe I should retire her....But he was built so well.....

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an older model with almost no HD space. It stopped reading disks so i bought a newer slim, but id really like to have a backup in case this slim dies on me.

Anyone have any guesses on when they may start dropping the older models on sale? Im not even sure what models would be the best to get. I think the only 320gb ones were the Uncharted 3 bundle, and the Modern warfare bundle, right? The Uncharted 3 bundle is actually the one i bought last year. Id actually prefer a cheap 320gb core model, but im pretty sure there aren't any of those out there anymore.

More like an open mouth.

Spoiler

Ungh.. seriously, am i the only one thats amazed at how cheap and terrible that looks? Honestly this thing looks more like a cheap Chinese knock off PS3 than a real actual model Sony is dumping on people. Seriously.. wtf Sony? I cant belive some of you are actually defending that crap.

^_^x KD
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#145 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

Let me get this straight. A lid is bad but a motorized tray (yes a plastic tray with moving parts) is good?

You guys are marooons

#146 superhippy1986

superhippy1986

Collecting Panties

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:24 AM

So whos going to buy me a new PS3 for the lolz?
Bethesda Excuse defined..

http://www.urbandict...Bethesda Excuse

#147 J7.

J7.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:26 AM

Damn. Just checked with Best Buy and Gamestop to see if theyd heard anything about the older models being discontinued and they hadn't yet, so im still gonna hope this isn't the case, but im starting to think it is. I REALLY hope they dont ditch the old model. This new model looks unbelivably cheap. I still regret not getting a backup PS2 fat when they switched over. I dont want to be in the same boat again with this

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an older model with almost no HD space. It stopped reading disks so i bought a newer slim, but id really like to have a backup in case this slim dies on me.

Anyone have any guesses on when they may start dropping the older models on sale? Im not even sure what models would be the best to get. I think the only 320gb ones were the Uncharted 3 bundle, and the Modern warfare bundle, right? The Uncharted 3 bundle is actually the one i bought last year. Id actually prefer a cheap 320gb core model, but im pretty sure there aren't any of those out there anymore.

Ungh.. seriously, am i the only one thats amazed at how cheap and terrible that looks? Honestly this thing looks more like a cheap Chinese knock off PS3 than a real actual model Sony is dumping on people. Seriously.. wtf Sony? I cant belive some of you are actually defending that crap.

^_^x KD

So it would be better if they had a more expensive shiny looking console and went out of business? Obviously you don't realize the state of the company. They need to make cost cutting measures like this. You should be happy they're so that PS4 has a great chance of being all it can be. In regards to your question, there were other 320gb models like the Infamous 2 bundle and they sold the 320gb standalone.

#148 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:31 AM

Looks stronger than any other door or hinge on a previous system, and I can't recall a single system to have any of their doors or hinges break. In 10 years when your Slim dies you will be running around trying to find a used Slimmest, just like people did with the PS2.

Actually, I like the ridges on it. And, I'd get it if I can get it like I did my 160gb slim...$300 at Target with $160 back in gift cards.

#149 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

I agree with all you guys on the sliding, plastic lid being cheaply made. I just saw a Youtube IGN's unwrapping video of the new slim PS3, and half-way through the video when IGN was talking about the new sliding lid, it snapped open and startled both reviewers. And this is a brand new machine that the lid just snapped open from. That hinge/spring that's holding that lid is not going to hold up long at all. Can't wait to see in a few months after these new slimmer PS3 are released before people start crying foul all over the net. Can't wait to see the teardown people dissect this new PS3.
<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#150 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Saw this video. I don't mind the cheap sliding door. I'll probably have to put tape on it to hold down in about 10 years if I get this on release day.

$30 difference from my PS3's MSRP isn't going to get me to own 2 PS3s at the moment. For now, I'll keep my 160 gb slim and probably invest in a larger hard drive though.