A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#181 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Definitely not. Do not worry, you are not alone.

then why would you think i would be the dumbass to say that?

though i hope you realize my original comment was a joke

#182 rockykai

rockykai

Less than a month? Two more weeks? -_-

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, lol. If that's too much, you probably should look for a cheaper hobby altogether.

I think this is a huge misunderstanding. This isn't about the hobby at all - it's about how much I want to play the few exclusive games the console has and especially when. I was in no rush to spend $300 on six or so games and a console at that second - I don't and didn't have that much time as things went anyway. I could easily wait for that total price to be $250 ($20 off here, $10 off there...) and that was my whole point.

I don't want 500GB hard drives or flash memory or giant screens - I just want something that works for what I need. This new PS3 is bad in just about every category for me - the extras are worthless to me unless I could sell them (and then I would still have to sell it off), I don't need that size of hard drive and I should expect something that simply will work correctly for 300+ hours.

As I said earlier, it's like Sony doesn't want me to get a PS3. It's not really what I want, but I can think of better things to do with $30 other than give it to Sony truthfully anyway.

Edited by rockykai, 22 September 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#183 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Youd think if they really wanted to cut costs they would offer one with replacable batteries, no wifi (only ethernet cable), a smallish hd (im thinking the current 160g is more than fair) and no games. It would be cheaper to manufacture and presumably would be able to be sold at a lower and still ratain there needed profit margins.
Personally ive been waiting to buy a ps3 for years now. I almost bought one a few months ago at the GS $50 off sale but heard a new version was in the works. Now that its here i just dont like it. It really didnt get better for the consumer but it is cheaper for sony to make. Who's to say they didnt cut corners on the circuitry either. The only reason for the pop door is its cheap to make and i doubt they redesigned the whole console to make just that single cost cutting measure and hope people would buy it for just the smaller form factor.
Id go out and get an old slim one now but if im not saving money im just going to wait. I only want the ps3 to play a few exclusive titles and I cant spend that much money only to play a few games.

#184 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

MS and Sony are really outpricing themselves this year. The Wii U is coming out real soon and 360/PS3 sales are down in the US. Not sure how keeping the price the same/or charging more for "'value"' is going to increase sales for the holiday. It seems like MS and Sony are content in keeping the price high before the inevitable next Sony/MS systems are announced.

I guess It's good for profit which helps Sony considering how much money they bled. Maybe even MS wants more profit.

#185 J7.

J7.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

I think this is a huge misunderstanding. This isn't about the hobby at all - it's about how much I want to play the few exclusive games the console has and especially when. I was in no rush to spend $300 on six or so games and a console at that second - I don't and didn't have that much time as things went anyway. I could easily wait for that total price to be $250 ($20 off here, $10 off there...) and that was my whole point.

I don't want 500GB hard drives or flash memory or giant screens - I just want something that works for what I need. This new PS3 is bad in just about every category for me - the extras are worthless to me unless I could sell them (and then I would still have to sell it off), I don't need that size of hard drive and I should expect something that simply will work correctly for 300+ hours.

As I said earlier, it's like Sony doesn't want me to get a PS3. It's not really what I want, but I can think of better things to do with $30 other than give it to Sony truthfully anyway.

If you only need a PS3 for 6 games then you should just buy one used & if your really worried get that Gamestop Warranty Plan. Or pick up the new bundle and sell Uncharted and the $30 DLC, you could probably get $45 total for those, knocking the price down to $325. You could even sell the hard drive, pick up a cheaper one, and save some money there too. Your best bet may be to pick up the older Slim as it will probably get bundled with games and giftcards soon. In fact that's already starting next week and will probably get better deals soon, especially Black Friday.

Target next week
160 GB PS3 $249.99
Comes with Uncharted 3 and MLB 12 The Show

Toys R Us Ad 9/23-9/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with $25 Toysrus Gift Card

Best Buy 9/23-8/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with free PS3 Starter Kit(Blu Remote & Dualshock 3 Charging Station

Youd think if they really wanted to cut costs they would offer one with replacable batteries, no wifi (only ethernet cable), a smallish hd (im thinking the current 160g is more than fair) and no games. It would be cheaper to manufacture and presumably would be able to be sold at a lower and still ratain there needed profit margins.
Personally ive been waiting to buy a ps3 for years now. I almost bought one a few months ago at the GS $50 off sale but heard a new version was in the works. Now that its here i just dont like it. It really didnt get better for the consumer but it is cheaper for sony to make. Who's to say they didnt cut corners on the circuitry either. The only reason for the pop door is its cheap to make and i doubt they redesigned the whole console to make just that single cost cutting measure and hope people would buy it for just the smaller form factor.
Id go out and get an old slim one now but if im not saving money im just going to wait. I only want the ps3 to play a few exclusive titles and I cant spend that much money only to play a few games.

It would cost more than it's worth to redesign the controllers and sell off all the old ones. No wifi would result in some not utilizing the internet and Sony losing digital sales (the reason for not having the 12gb console here). The savings between 250 gb and 160 gb hard drive are miniscule. And could you imagine the backlash from consumers over having to buy their own batteries and having no wifi? Look how crazy everyone's gotten over not having a slot loading disc drive.

If you only need it for a few games, just buy a used one or take advantage of the coming deals when retailers get rid of their original Slim stock. You can't care that much about the hardware itself if you're only getting it to play a few games. It's either Sony made these cost-cutting measures or they hemmorage more money and eventually go out of business. You can't have it both ways. They redesigned the hardware because it makes financial sense too, the original Slim came less than 3 years after the fat, which was needed at the time & the reason why there are 2 redesigns not one.

#186 @FIF

@FIF

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

MS and Sony are really outpricing themselves this year. The Wii U is coming out real soon and 360/PS3 sales are down in the US. Not sure how keeping the price the same/or charging more for "'value"' is going to increase sales for the holiday. It seems like MS and Sony are content in keeping the price high before the inevitable next Sony/MS systems are announced.

I guess It's good for profit which helps Sony considering how much money they bled. Maybe even MS wants more profit.

One reason you're seeing prices stay high is that a lot of current console aren't going to pick up many games. Say some buys a PS3 for BluRay, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and picks up 3-4 games total. Not much licensing fee profit there offset selling the console at a loss or break even.

#187 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

One reason you're seeing prices stay high is that a lot of current console aren't going to pick up many games. Say some buys a PS3 for BluRay, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and picks up 3-4 games total. Not much licensing fee profit there offset selling the console at a loss or break even.

Which is exactly why they should be lowering prices on the system and pushing that content (Sony's own Blu-Rays and PSN content) rather than pushing customers toward the Wii-U and the new games for that system. They aren't staying competitive with this pricing, and I seriously doubt the manufacturing cost saved by redesigning the console out weighs replacing all of the current stock. Noone's ever redesigned a system this late in it's life cycle and not dropped the price to move the unit. Hell, we've been seeing that since the Genesis and SNES did the "smaller compact" version thing. Handheld gaming with specialized dedicated hardware started dieing out with the PSP, and they not only doubled down on that, but then added way overpriced proprietary hardware (Memory Cards) on top of that. Nintendo survived in that market by targeting the kid market with simplistic cheap handhelds that only did one thing. Sony is making stupid business decisions, remember when everyone thought Sega was on top? look at what happened to them inside of a console generation. Cest La Vie.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#188 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

Sega certainly was not on top prior to releasing the Dreamcast; in fact it was most likely a few releases (and add-ons) prior to that when they were actually on top.

#189 rockykai

rockykai

Less than a month? Two more weeks? -_-

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

If you only need a PS3 for 6 games then you should just buy one used & if your really worried get that Gamestop Warranty Plan. Or pick up the new bundle and sell Uncharted and the $30 DLC, you could probably get $45 total for those, knocking the price down to $325. You could even sell the hard drive, pick up a cheaper one, and save some money there too. Your best bet may be to pick up the older Slim as it will probably get bundled with games and giftcards soon. In fact that's already starting next week and will probably get better deals soon, especially Black Friday.

Target next week
160 GB PS3 $249.99
Comes with Uncharted 3 and MLB 12 The Show

Toys R Us Ad 9/23-9/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with $25 Toysrus Gift Card

Best Buy 9/23-8/29
160GB PS3 Console $249.99 comes with free PS3 Starter Kit(Blu Remote & Dualshock 3 Charging Station

Thank you for your post! I will keep an eye out for deals as they come by like these (especially Black Friday) or, as you also said, buy a used Slim should I need to. The refurbished prices are far worse than the BF 2011 deals right now, so I will keep a bigger eye on the current deals.

This new Slim does not inspire much confidence in how well it is built. If it's what I end up buying because there aren't circuitry design problems and they don't have high YLoD rates as time goes on and the deal ends up being good enough, so be it. I don't see myself switching game disks much at all so this slot means nearly nothing now that I think about it... (it doesn't change the fact that I think there should be a price drop).

#190 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sega certainly was not on top prior to releasing the Dreamcast; in fact it was most likely a few releases (and add-ons) prior to that when they were actually on top.

I think the real death spiral of sega began when they released the saturn. Sure they were hurting a little before then but that one really killed them.
"Lets make this new console only a little bit after the last one, include replacable batteries that when they go so do your game saves, and lets release it tonite without telling anyone and charge a fortune. Then when we've only sold it for about a year we'll stop supporting it and start on a new system."

#191 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

and a game + tons of DLC. Theres alot of value added with those 20 bucks

It's value added if you want those items. If you don't want the game or the DLC, it's just a price increase.

I don't understand how there is so much complaining in this thread but MS continually releases $300-400 bundles with nothing more than Kinect or some other garbage that no one wants. Plus 360 is just a vastly inferior machine to the PS3.

That's because MS doesn't fail to give you an alternative to said bundles. You can always buy a "vanilla" Xbox 360 instead of getting one bundled with shit you don't want.

You misunderstand the complaints. What they want is a model with 500GB space, WiFi, Bluetooth, Blu-Ray, at least 4 USB slots, and full PS2 B/C for $150, all while keeping the same "classy" expensive parts from previous systems.

Granted, there would still be some complaints about something, but that would hit most of them. It would also drive Sony out of business, but who cares about small shit like that?

Actually, speaking only for myself, I just want a PS3. No extra storage that I don't need and which is cheap to get for yourself anyway, and no extra games. Or hey, a price drop on the existing model since you're rolling out a new one. and only offering the new one as a bundle.

#192 htz

htz

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Anybody pick this up today? How is it?

I went to Target and Best Buy in the afternoon, and did not see any being sold. Both stores still have a few of the older slims so I guess they want to move those stock first, or maybe they sold out like amazon already...

#193 J7.

J7.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

It's value added if you want those items. If you don't want the game or the DLC, it's just a price increase.

That's because MS doesn't fail to give you an alternative to said bundles. You can always buy a "vanilla" Xbox 360 instead of getting one bundled with shit you don't want.

Actually, speaking only for myself, I just want a PS3. No extra storage that I don't need and which is cheap to get for yourself anyway, and no extra games. Or hey, a price drop on the existing model since you're rolling out a new one. and only offering the new one as a bundle.

So you're saying a) that there won't be a standalone 250 gb Super Slim soon, and b) there isn't a standalone older Slim available while the first bundle is released? Oh wait, no you later said just that in the same post. The old model will be available with gift cards, already is. I'm sure you'll be buying a game if you buy a PS3... Complaining over nothing. It would be better if Sony went to $199.99, lost more money, and went out of business just so you personally could get $50 in cash back instead of $50 in gift cards.

#194 Havok83

Havok83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

No its added value regardless. If you want want to use it then sell it.

last time I checked the current slims are stlill available and havent been discontiunued yet

Actually, speaking only for myself, I just want a PS3. No extra storage that I don't need and which is cheap to get for yourself anyway, and no extra games. Or hey, a price drop on the existing model since you're rolling out a new one. and only offering the new one as a bundle

Then go and get the unbundled system for $249. No one is stopping you and forcing you to get the super slim
Posted Image

#195 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

So you're saying a) that there won't be a standalone 250 gb Super Slim soon, and b) there isn't a standalone older Slim available while the first bundle is released? Oh wait, no you later said just that in the same post. The old model will be available with gift cards, already is. I'm sure you'll be buying a game if you buy a PS3... Complaining over nothing. It would be better if Sony went to $199.99, lost more money, and went out of business just so you personally could get $50 in cash back instead of $50 in gift cards.

What I'm saying is exactly what I said. I think it was worded clearly enough. You shouldn't have to rephrase what I said and add a bunch of hyperbole in order to make your own point.

I'm actually not complaining; I'm voicing my opinion and disagreeing with what others have said. There's a difference that people seem to have a hard time making out these days.

While you're putting words in my mouth, yes, I want Sony to lose money and go out of business so I can get a $200 PS3 (and of course, that's TOTALLY what would happen). That's exactly what I said. Thank you for pointing it out.

Aside from putting words in my mouth, you assume too much. I don't need games bundled with my PS3; I've had a PS3 for years already and it went kaput on me. I just need a replacement- I already have games, thank you very much.

#196 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

No its added value regardless. If you want want to use it then sell it.

last time I checked the current slims are stlill available and havent been discontiunued yet

Then go and get the unbundled system for $249. No one is stopping you and forcing you to get the super slim

My "added value" comment had to do with people acting as if you can simply subtract the MSRP of the items included in the bundle from the overall price. That's not accurate. Even if you sell the stuff, you're not going to get MSRP for it on Half.com or trading it in somewhere, and that adds a hassle, minor as it may be.

Again, I'm sure there are others besides myself who would be interested in a newer slim PS3 without it being bundled with extra stuff that they don't want. Of course the older ones are still available. Why would you pay $250 for them, though, when Sony itself is not standing behind that model and has already went to a newer design? My Xbox point still stands, and by the way, was only a reply to someone else who was comparing apples to oranges and saying Microsoft does the same thing, which they don't. If you're going to put out a new version of your console, have a bundled version, but also have a standalone version without extra crap. It's simple.

I never said that anyone was "forcing" me to do anything. I was noting that it'd be nice if Sony provided the consumer with more options. Some of you get very defensive and like to pretend that such a statement constitutes "complaining", but hey, whatever floats your boat.

#197 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

Anyone grab one yet? Id like to see some initial thoughts on it.

#198 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Man, I wish the Wii U wasnt coming out so soon after the AC3 Bundle, otherwise I'd really be considering upgrading to it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#199 J7.

J7.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

What I'm saying is exactly what I said. I think it was worded clearly enough. You shouldn't have to rephrase what I said and add a bunch of hyperbole in order to make your own point.

I'm actually not complaining; I'm voicing my opinion and disagreeing with what others have said. There's a difference that people seem to have a hard time making out these days.

While you're putting words in my mouth, yes, I want Sony to lose money and go out of business so I can get a $200 PS3 (and of course, that's TOTALLY what would happen). That's exactly what I said. Thank you for pointing it out.

Aside from putting words in my mouth, you assume too much. I don't need games bundled with my PS3; I've had a PS3 for years already and it went kaput on me. I just need a replacement- I already have games, thank you very much.

Was pointing out that you contradicted yourself, and if you don't want the games, then sell them. What do you think MS would do if they were in Sony's shoes? The same thing, but worse. Actually if you sold the additional content in that bundle you would make back more than the $20 extra it costs.

Don't buy an older Slim because "Sony isn't standing behind that model". What the hell does that mean? Why the hell would Sony introduce a standalone at the same time as the bundle if they want to clear out all the old Slim stock?

#200 lllGurulll

lllGurulll

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

His point being, he just wants the PS3. I don't blame him. I friggin hate all the bundling going on with all three companies.
PSWii60 FTW!!!

#201 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:36 AM

Was pointing out that you contradicted yourself, and if you don't want the games, then sell them. What do you think MS would do if they were in Sony's shoes? The same thing, but worse. Actually if you sold the additional content in that bundle you would make back more than the $20 extra it costs.

Don't buy an older Slim because "Sony isn't standing behind that model". What the hell does that mean? Why the hell would Sony introduce a standalone at the same time as the bundle if they want to clear out all the old Slim stock?

1. I didn't contradict myself. I said I'd either like a price drop on the older slims or newer ones available without being bundled. Where's the contradiction? Seriously, go back and find it. Point it out to me with the handy "quote" feature.

2. If they think that they can improve upon the old slims enough to justify a new version, why would I want to buy the older version? Sony itself thought the new one was a good enough upgrade to justify putting it out, why wouldn't I want the newer one, too? Does that make more sense to you?

Furthermore, why are you so fired up about another person's opinion or purchasing decisions? Does it infuriate you that I'd like to have the option to buy a new slim PS3 without having crap that I don't want (that I'm apparently supposed to take the time to sell off) bundled with it?

I don't understand why you're bringing up MS, anyway. With a new model out, I either want the old model to be discounted or the new one to be sold by itself. Pretty simple. I don't see how MS factors in.

I brought MS up in my 9/25 post only because someone was making an apples to oranges comparison that was completely inaccurate, not because I want to have a discussion about the two companies' business policies that inevitably turns into a console fanboy flame war.

If you really want to take the position that either a)consumers shouldn't want more options or b)consumers shouldn't voice the opinion that they want more options, I don't see how you can defend it. You know, other than with hyperbole like before when you said that $199 old PS3 slims would put Sony out of business.

#202 wreckemtexastech

wreckemtexastech

Red Raidin' CAGer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

Anyone grab one yet? Id like to see some initial thoughts on it.

Ill try to get this thread back on topic....

Its awesome. I drove 45 miles to dallas for one. I love it. It wont shock you lke the ps2 slim did with smallness or lightness, but it is quite small and light. I love the old school sliding door, despite how odd it may seem at times.

the button that turns the system on and opens said sliding door is one long button, kinda odd and bad, but it works ok.

The build doesnt seem QUITE as cheap as i thought it would, but if youre looking for something that resembles a beast, get an original or a original xbox. haha
Posted Image

Posted Image

#203 roundhouse

roundhouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

Giantbomb did an unboxing if you want to see how big it is and how the sliding lid works

http://www.giantbomb...ion-3/17-6621/#

#204 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Its awesome. I drove 45 miles to dallas for one. I love it. It wont shock you lke the ps2 slim did with smallness or lightness, but it is quite small and light. I love the old school sliding door, despite how odd it may seem at times.

the button that turns the system on and opens said sliding door is one long button, kinda odd and bad, but it works ok.

The build doesnt seem QUITE as cheap as i thought it would, but if youre looking for something that resembles a beast, get an original or a original xbox. haha

Good to hear! I think the design is pretty cool. I was initially reserved about the sliding lid mechanism because of the possibility for failure, but I can't deny its coolness, either. I may end up getting one when all of my reward zone certificates start rolling in from my bevy of preorders.

#205 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

i think i'm gonna preorder the AC3 bundle from amazon.... never had a ps3 and it seems like a decent deal. i know i'm gonna be pissed when the next gen consoles get announced in the spring but screw it.

Hand__Of__God.png

#206 NeoUltima

NeoUltima

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

I really, really want a good bundle/deal on the older slims since my phat is on its last legs :/

The one at Wal-Mart.com is decent but it comes with an extra controller (+ old $20 game)...I don't need yet another controller. If only they would let us choose a game instead.

But I feel like if I wait too long the old models will no longer be able to be found.

i think i'm gonna preorder the AC3 bundle from amazon.... never had a ps3 and it seems like a decent deal. i know i'm gonna be pissed when the next gen consoles get announced in the spring but screw it.

Nah. No way PS4 ends up being BC and there are a lot of great PS3 games.

#207 Havok83

Havok83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

I really, really want a good bundle/deal on the older slims since my phat is on its last legs :/

The one at Wal-Mart.com is decent but it comes with an extra controller (+ old $20 game)...I don't need yet another controller. If only they would let us choose a game instead.

But I feel like if I wait too long the old models will no longer be able to be found.

Nah. No way PS4 ends up being BC and there are a lot of great PS3 games.

The Slims will most definetly be available for a discounted price this BF, most likely with a game or 2 attached to clear out stock. If anyone wants the older models, I think this november will be the last chance to get them with no hassle. After that I predict availability to be more rare
Posted Image

#208 maxrenderer

maxrenderer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

You won't be pissed. If you've never had a PS3, there are a ton of titles you have yet to enjoy.

#209 J7.

J7.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

You won't be too pissed because PS4 ain't gonna have backwards compatibility. You'll save a lot of money if you play some PS3 games before getting every 720 game that interests you, assuming you only buy a 720.

The Slims will most definetly be available for a discounted price this BF, most likely with a game or 2 attached to clear out stock. If anyone wants the older models, I think this november will be the last chance to get them with no hassle. After that I predict availability to be more rare

^ what he said.

#210 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

I will say this after lugging my Fat 60GB system in the original box into GS tonight and coming out with one of these SuperSlims I was actually blown away. It is going to be so nice to not have a lead block to move around.