Photo
- - - - -

A new PS3 model with Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition September 25th

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#241 jimijumper

jimijumper

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Yep, and it is a little on the cheesy side. It opens automatically if you push the left side of the little bar (with the PS logo on the front). But it doesn't seem to close automatically. I'm guessing the opening is just spring-loaded and not mechanical so that's why it only works one way. To close it, you have to slide it, and it sort of catches near the end and you have to force it past that to close it completely. It definitely doesn't seem very sturdy in that regard. However, the lack of a slot or tray-loading mechanism will probably mean it is actually more durable than previous PS3 models.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

#242 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

I actually thought about doing it at one point. It's kinda hard to explain, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Best way to explain it is to sort of compare it to some older people and music. Regardless of the fact that there are now MP3 players and before that CDs, there was just something about having old records and a record player that you wanted to hang on to forever. Even if your same old music had been remastered and now sounds cleaner than ever, you simply don't want to have anything to do with it and just want your records. I guess it's a way of holding on to your youth.

well i guess wording it like that makes sense i can see that.....although me personally i could never live in the gaming past exclusively though i do revisit it from time to time....but it is funny i havent listened to hardly any new music barring a few exceptions since 2002 or 2001 lol.

#243 a_dirty_Shisno

a_dirty_Shisno

Thievius Cagcoonus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

I'd just like to ask anyone who purchases this and does not want to play DUST 514 at all, if you would be willing to give this fellow CAG your DUST 514 Ordinance Pack (with the Guristas Saga LAV)?

If you are not going to ever use it anyway it would be better than just throwing it away. If you do decide to give it to me please just PM me the code.

Though I have nothing to offer in return I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

--- I am the Thievius Cagcoonus.
---What the hell happened there!  I started writing a serious post and suddenly I became an infomercial!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- US Government To Tackle Patent Trolls (whenever they get around to it).  Write your Senators and Congressmen (to make them get it done).

--- California Minimum Wage: $9/hr (July 2014), $10/hr (January 2016)

#244 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

I figured this thing would be quieter. Lol

#245 dan77733

dan77733

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

lol what. so you played this gen and enjoyed it enough to buy multiple systems but once it ends you will just sell the systems and live 10-20 years in the past?

i really dont get that.

Enjoyed it enough to play games this gen but not enough to keep the consoles when they die. With gaming, living in the past will always be superior to the present. Always. Will never change. The only reason people think that gaming is at its best now is due to the visuals and graphics. Subtract that and gaming now gets buried. Main reason is that I can still play games from past eras. This current generation of gaming, Splinter Cell Conviction is the only game that I have played more than once. I can still play games from old school systems over and over because they're a lot more fun, at least to me anyway. Cant say for anyone else.

#246 dan77733

dan77733

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

yea i could understand not wanting a next gen console especially if they have a huge backlog or finances or just losing interest for whatever reason but selling your current systems and going back to the nes era and ps2 era? that part i dont get.

while i do see some issues with this current generation of gaming i dont find it to be worse than the previous one....i do admit i miss days where i was teenager and gaming was one massive social event as opposed to now.

I dont care about next gen consoles for several reasons. First, Wii U doesnt interest me at all. There's no launch game thats worth buying the system for and even if there was, I still dont have any interest in it. And $50 for the classic controller? Thats nuts.

I'm NOT selling the current systems now. In fact, im buying the super slim PS3 when the 500GB version is released in a few weeks. Once both PS3 and 360 are dead, then I will sell them off.

I just bought a PS2 for NFL 2K3. Thats right. NFL 2K3. Reason was because its a fun game for me to play and never get sick of playing it. Also, will eventually get some other classic PS2 and PSone games including MGS, Fear Effect 1 and 2, Manhunt and others. These games I can play through more than once. Current gen, very rare.

As for this generation being better than last generation, I would say that it's 50/50. I think that 360 is better than the original Xbox but PS2 is better than PS3. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.

Nowadays, every game is focused on online gameplay and will only increase as time moves forward and yes, I do believe that gaming will go all digital sooner rather than later. You can just see how online gaming has evolved from just last gen systems. Thats what gaming will be centered around when Xbox 3 and PS4 come out. If both of those systems come out in 2014, then I think that both being digital download only becomes even more likely.

Quite simply, while I have enjoyed a decent amount of games this generation, I havent enjoyed them more than past generations. Before Xbox and Xbox live, games were single player focused with co-op as well. Now, thats nearly dead and will eventually be all online because when you look at all the money thats made from anything and everything online related, it can only go that way.

When it does, I wont be a part of any of it whatsoever but for those who are, happy gaming. :)

#247 Count Van Ghoul

Count Van Ghoul

Past The Mission

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:01 AM

It makes PERFECT sense to buy old consoles/games after this gen. Why? Because you'll ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME.

Try firing up Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, or Arkham City (just a few off the top o me head examples) ten years from now. Oh, what's that? The servers are down so you aren't able to authenticate the DLC you downloaded a decade ago and thus are forever locked out of playing that part of the game? Hooray for digital air!

I have a blog where I review (usually terrible) movies for your enjoyment.  Come check it out at http://aghoulversus.blogspot.com/

#248 dan77733

dan77733

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

It makes PERFECT sense to buy old consoles/games after this gen. Why? Because you'll ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME.

Try firing up Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, or Arkham City (just a few off the top o me head examples) ten years from now. Oh, what's that? The servers are down so you aren't able to authenticate the DLC you downloaded a decade ago and thus are forever locked out of playing that part of the game? Hooray for digital air!

This is another reason I should have listed in an earlier post but didnt even think about it.

Its true, look at NBA 2K11, 2K share no longer exists for it which is a shame. I understand why but still, it sucks that once 2K12 was released, 2K11 was dead. Right here, you can just see how the future of gaming is destined to go.

#249 htz

htz

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

You forgot the most important thing if the servers are taken away, the patches. :-#

#250 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

You forgot the most important thing if the servers are taken away, the patches. :-#

Another thing is how digital can vanish so quickly. Just look at TMNT Reshelled or Mega Man Legends (not digital, but still not coming back because of voice acting issues according to Capcom). The fact that one issue or another can result in a game being yanked from the online dsitributor is very scary indeed. Imagine if games like Earthbound had been digital only? No one would be able to play it because the threat of lawsuits would have gotten it pulled. And while you may currently be able to redownload something you purchased, how long is it before they simply take it away and give you a refund? So you lose a great game because of some sort of issue and you as a consumer have no recourse. How long will it take before some company decides it makes more money by just renting you the games? Giving up your ownership sounds like a very slippery slope especially given the the treatment of gamers at the hands of the big three as they try to draw in the casual gamer (see: Nintendo's treatment of lifelong fans and the Wii)

#251 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Something on topic, did anyone who redeemed their dust 514 code not get their aur or bonus weapons? All I have is the beta.

#252 J7.

J7.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Looks like MS has gone and pulled a Sony. Raising their damn prices I tell you. Better support them since we know MS is on hard times.
http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=468642

#253 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Looks like MS has gone and pulled a Sony. Raising their damn prices I tell you. Better support them since we know MS is on hard times.
http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=468642

Right. You're actually paying for the media remote and $10 Amazon credit. Two things most people really don't want/need any way.

I traded in my 160GB Slim PS3 to GS for $190 today and contemplated picking up the Super Slim, but I just don't like the way it looks. Still have another 160GB, but if I decide to get another PS3 I will get another Slim. Maybe they will clearance them out soon.