NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

• Please log in to reply
884 replies to this topic

#271 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Gonna be a long short season for Brz. Call up Boucher... ? lol... At least the Sabres are good for something.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#272 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm not one to say the refs are against one team or another... but todays ref crew for the Fyers game was bad. And most of the egregious calls went against the flyers. That interference call was silly. The flyer wasn't in the crease, was skating across the front of the goal, and the goaly skated into him.

That's one way of interpreting it. The other is that Miller was still in the crease when contact was made. The rule states that the goaltender has to be afforded the opportunity to make the save. If you don't like the call, don't rush the crease and run into the goalie. Cody Hodgson managed to do it on Vanek's rebound and he was coming in a lot harder. They can make excuses, but Buffalo outplayed Philly in this one.

#273 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Two disallowed goals by the officials - you're out of your fucking mind if you think that interference call was even remotely close to a plausible call, let alone a good call. The second disallowed goal was a poor stoppage of play by an official who was at a poor angle to correctly see the puck and (incorrectly) assumed Miller was in possession. Poor positioning + poor angle + poor assumptions = Poor officiating. There isn't a single reasonable hockey analyst who thought that the call was even potentially reasonable.

There's certainly room for a lot of inconsistency in terms of how rules are enforced in the NHL, there's room for missed calls. That's fine, and that's life. That said, both of those calls were far below the level of professionalism for someone earning what NHL officials earn as a salary. There's bad calls, and then there's BAD CALLS. Both of those were BAD CALLS; I don't expect to see the NHL come down hard on any official for a terrible sequence of calls, but those should certainly come into play when deciding which officials get placed where (if at all) in the postseason. None of the refs from today's game should be working in May, unless it's a scrimmage.
Posted Image

#274 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

6-0 is embarrassing but let's wait like 5 games before we make some quick judgments. This team is very different from last year so lots of unfamiliarity with how the guys play will be a struggle in these early games. One thing that bothers me so far is that Quincy still looks like a bad defenseman. He hasn't been good since coming back to Detroit.

Bertuzzi's out for a while now, too.

#275 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

So happy for my Pens and Blue Jackets! Watching the Pens/Rangers tonight at 7!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#276 Jimbo Slice

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Cup winner? I'll take Pittsburgh this year.

I'll take the Rags, they are deep as hell except maybe at forward. They have the best D and goalie though, so I like their chances.

Spoiler

Amen (especially the Hawks part)

I'm not one to say the refs are against one team or another... but todays ref crew for the Fyers game was bad. And most of the egregious calls went against the flyers. That interference call was silly. The flyer wasn't in the crease, was skating across the front of the goal, and the goaly skated into him.

So that's one score called off.

Then the Flyers just scored in a 6 on 5 advanage. But the Ref blew the wistle and stated the goal puck was trapped when it was actually crossing the red line. All because the ref was out of position.

That's two scores called off.

As for the unsportsmanship, they called Ott for flopping.

Lousy officiating, but what else is new? Not sweating the Flyers 0-2 start (which could easily be 0-4 when it's all said and done). As we all know, ya just have to make the playoffs. This team has too much talent not to make it.

Gonna be a long short season for Brz. Call up Boucher... ? lol... At least the Sabres are good for something.

I feel like I ask this every year, but why do you hate Philly so much again? You're on the other side of the country for crying out loud.

#277 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Not sweating the Flyers 0-2 start (which could easily be 0-4 when it's all said and done).

Devils and Rangers this week, ugh. We're terrible against the trap, so this week is gonna be hell on my nerves.
Posted Image

#278 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

1 second into the Islander v Lightning game: 2 fights, and another penalty. Another penalty before we even hit the 1 minute mark

New Lightning goalie is awful. Guy looks like a statue out there with no lateral movement. Our search for a goalie who doesn't suck continues

Edited by slickkill77, 21 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#279 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Watched the Bruins, Jets game. Bruins deserved that win.

#280 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'd say that Tarasenko is here to stay in St. Louis. Amazing. Calder?

#281 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

The kid is insane on the ice. Blues would be doing better if it wasn't for the stupid penalties.
Posted Image

#282 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

The kid is insane on the ice. Blues would be doing better if it wasn't for the stupid penalties.

St. Louis is clearly outplaying Nashville though. Rinne played out of his mind in OT, and is the only reason this game is still going. I fully expect that to mean that the Blues will score on their first two shots of the shootout, haha.

Crazy that the Preds first two games have gone to a shootout. I guess it's better than taking a regulation loss, but they've gotta start getting some wins. Hoping they can somehow pull this one off tonight.

#283 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Wow...I fucking called that one. The Preds just don't have the offensive weapons to be going shot for shot with people. If they don't nut the hell up and start playing defense, it's going to be a long short season.

#284 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Damn you called it. It was a hell of a back and forth game. St. Louis isn't that great at shootouts. I'm surprised Rinne came so far from the net in the shootout.
Posted Image

#285 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Damn you called it. It was a hell of a back and forth game. St. Louis isn't that great at shootouts. I'm surprised Rinne came so far from the net in the shootout.

Yeah, that's what everybody says. For a guy who is 6'5" and can cover post to post when he goes into the splits, I don't know why the hell he thinks he has to cut down angles so much. He's bigger than the fucking net anyway. Crazy how good he is in game situations and how bad he seems to be one on one. People are ragging on him on Preds forums, but he still stopped 35 out of 38. Maybe if Nashville tried playing defense and converting on the power play, it wouldn't have gone to overtime in the first place. The team definitely needs to get its shit together.

#286 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

Trade List

#287 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Damn, that's a nice move! Timing, placement, control, everything. He even looks cool just barely squeaking past the post with one foot infront of the other. Can't blame Bobrovsky for that one. Sick!

#288 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, that's what everybody says. For a guy who is 6'5" and can cover post to post when he goes into the splits, I don't know why the hell he thinks he has to cut down angles so much. He's bigger than the fucking net anyway. Crazy how good he is in game situations and how bad he seems to be one on one. People are ragging on him on Preds forums, but he still stopped 35 out of 38. Maybe if Nashville tried playing defense and converting on the power play, it wouldn't have gone to overtime in the first place. The team definitely needs to get its shit together.

NHL.com has it as 36 of 39 and that is damn good. The announcers for the broadcast here even said in order to score the Blues were going to have to overwhelm him with shots and get the rebounds. Being 2 for 6 on the power play wasn't good for Nashville. I'm surprised Nashville was only able to get 24 shots on goal. I really expected the Blues to lose after all the stupid penalties. I also think the outcome would have been different if Halak would have stayed in net. It just wasn't his night last night.

I haven't been able to watch any games with Minnesota so I'm not sure what to expect from the Nashville and Minnesota game tonight, but St. Louis isn't going to have it easy. They are going to have to step their game up from last night I think if they want to beat Chicago. I'm also expecting Tarasenko to get his first NHL hat trick in the next 2 or 3 games. I'm really glad St. Louis picked this kid up. He is starting to show some real talent.

Damn that is a nice shot.
Posted Image

#289 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Preds finally pick up their first win tonight, beating Minnesota 3-1 behind a strong start from Chris Mason. They really needed this win, as it was the start of a 7 game road trip. The season could have gotten out of hand really fast if they let things snowball. This win puts a bit of a positive spin on things, as they've at least picked up one point in every game and have 4 points through 3 games. Wish they could have done better against division opponents, but they get another crack at St. Louis on Thursday.

#290 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I think Cory Conacher might get rookie mvp. He has been amazing past three games. Hell he took a huge hit from Ovi and got right back up and shrugged it off like nothing. Hopefully Garon keeps up the great saves as well.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 22 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#291 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Preds finally pick up their first win tonight, beating Minnesota 3-1 behind a strong start from Chris Mason. They really needed this win, as it was the start of a 7 game road trip. The season could have gotten out of hand really fast if they let things snowball. This win puts a bit of a positive spin on things, as they've at least picked up one point in every game and have 4 points through 3 games. Wish they could have done better against division opponents, but they get another crack at St. Louis on Thursday.

Their game tomorrow night should be a fun one to watch. I think it will be a team like Nashville to make it to the cup. The teams that are starting out strong may slow down and I'm not sure if you can afford to have that happen in a short season. The teams that are loosing now, but may pick up later in season can't afford to be a late starting team this year. The teams that can get a point every game and a win when they need it will be the teams to lookout for I think. I expect a different game tomorrow than we saw Monday. I would not be surprised if Nashville wins and it is not in overtime or a shootout.
Posted Image

#292 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm not sure what's more amazing. Detroit with no D and Goalie, Flyers shut down, or Broduer shutout 120.

Trade List

#293 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

I feel for the goalie that has to succeed Brodeur.

#294 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

My brother went to the TB-CAR game a couple of nights ago. As a gag, I asked him to get me a long forgotten Guardian Project book if they had it.

I now own a Guardian Project book.

lol
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#295 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Oliver Eckman-Larson is quickly morphing into an elite defenseman.

#296 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Their game tomorrow night should be a fun one to watch. I think it will be a team like Nashville to make it to the cup. The teams that are starting out strong may slow down and I'm not sure if you can afford to have that happen in a short season. The teams that are loosing now, but may pick up later in season can't afford to be a late starting team this year. The teams that can get a point every game and a win when they need it will be the teams to lookout for I think. I expect a different game tomorrow than we saw Monday. I would not be surprised if Nashville wins and it is not in overtime or a shootout.

Ha...well, that didn't happen. Preds got their asses kicked tonight. Chris Mason has 1 win in 1 game played. Pekka Rinne has 0 wins in 3 games played. WTF life?

#297 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I was at the game last night and I'm glad St. Louis won, but I'm surprised. I would have thought Nashville would have come out fighting after a loss in a shootout Monday night. The game almost reminded me of the game against Detroit. The only difference was Nashville did try. Halak didn't seem like he had to do much at all, but the few times he did he was making myself and everyone around me a little nervous.

It was a hell of a game and I did expect more from Nashville. Maybe I will get what I expect from them the next time the two teams meet.
Posted Image

#298 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

So, Ottawa, my East cost team (and my wife's favorite) is 3-0-0 for the season so far and my main team, Colorado, is 2-1-0 for the season. Solid starts in my eyes, especially Ottawa. Would love to see Anderson and Alfredsson get to the Cup finals this year.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#299 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I was at the game last night and I'm glad St. Louis won, but I'm surprised. I would have thought Nashville would have come out fighting after a loss in a shootout Monday night. The game almost reminded me of the game against Detroit. The only difference was Nashville did try. Halak didn't seem like he had to do much at all, but the few times he did he was making myself and everyone around me a little nervous.

It was a hell of a game and I did expect more from Nashville. Maybe I will get what I expect from them the next time the two teams meet.

Nashville fans are losing their minds with the team's lack of shooting...especially on the power play. Sometimes I don't know what they're waiting for. I think there are too many passers on the team. It really sucks that Andrei Kostitsyn and Alexander Radulov had to be selfish assholes. They're exactly the type of scorers the Preds need. But they were also shitty teammates.

Somebody has to step up and be ready to shoot the puck. I feel like Colin Wilson could be that guy, but he's gotta assert himself and start looking for his shot. I don't know if Legwand or Fisher could ever be 30 goal scorers (Legwand's career high is 27 back in 2006). And Erat is just way too streaky. At worst, they need to just start shooting and look for garbage goals. You won't know how the puck might bounce if you don't ever shoot it. Again, people have been bagging on Rinne, but they would have lost if he had given up 1 goal. Playing most of the game in your defensive zone and getting outshot every night is not a recipe for winning.

#300 emg28

emg28

esteeohpee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Horrible start to the Kings' season. The game last night was just brutal. Here in LA, last year's power play woes were largely blamed on assistant Jaime Kompon (now with the Blackhawks). It looks like the players should've shared more of the blame. The PP looks awful.