Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Galaxy s3 vs Apple iphone 5, which do I get?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 squishface

squishface

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

I have two options for the returns. I could buy the phone from radioshack and have 30 days to exchange phones as a one time only deal, or go to sprint for 14 days and pay a $35 fee for stocking or something is what one of the reps told me. I will buy the s3 if I can take part in this https://www.dropbox.com/help/297/en
One of the radio shack guys said if i ever needed to get it updated after a few months when the next os is out for andoid and wasn't able to that he would update it personally . I guess that means he's gonna root it or something ?

Also, does Sprint have a similar 30 day return policy on phones? I know Verizon has that 30 day return policy where you can return the phone if you're unhappy with it. Another thing you could do is maybe order one and give it a test run then go with the other. That way you have a little time to figure out if you're completely happy with either. A little bit of a hassle, but this way you get real hands on time with it.

"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#32 ajm_64

ajm_64

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

s3 is the best, go with it!

#33 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

My contract is up next month and have been deciding on these 2 phones myself. Pretty sure I'm gping with the Iphone 5. Never had any major problems with the Iphone 4 and if I ever get an Ipad I don't have to buy new apps.
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#34 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

I have an Iphone 4 and Im eligible for an upgrade soon. I actually plan on switching to Wp 8. I don't use apps. I just don't. So having 9 trillion apps, 90% of which are sh*tty games, is pointless to me. iOS works well enough but I just need a change.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#35 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

You do know the iPhone 5 benchmarks higher than the SG3 and costs the same, right?

That's not quite true.

Kendro posted this in the iPhone5 thread:

Posted Image

Looks like a beat to me.

#36 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

any phone is a better choice than apple's overprice, under performing proprietary junk.

Haha, I so agree.

Believe me, I decided to give into an iPhone since I finally had the chance to get it (I only stick with Verizon) and while I like its selection of apps, design, and iOS running smooth, in ways I feel like I downgraded from my Android. My Android had awesome Facebook integration, much easier to drag and drop files instead of that stupid synch crap. I'm so tempted to just pay full price and swap out my phone, but I want to wait until the very next big Android phone comes out.
Posted Image

#37 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

Nokia Lumia 920

Posted Image

BTW, I have owned previous versions of the iphone and also a few different samsung android phones in the past.

I am hoping you are right. My next phone is either going to be this or the new note.

#38 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

Haha, I so agree.

Believe me, I decided to give into an iPhone since I finally had the chance to get it (I only stick with Verizon) and while I like its selection of apps, design, and iOS running smooth, in ways I feel like I downgraded from my Android. My Android had awesome Facebook integration, much easier to drag and drop files instead of that stupid synch crap. I'm so tempted to just pay full price and swap out my phone, but I want to wait until the very next big Android phone comes out.

I've only been tempted to buy one Android phone (the HTC Inspire on AT&T), but stopped because they completely ignored the Mac platform for syncing content. HTC was using their HTC Sync program to interface with the phone and there wasn't a Mac version.

While I admit that there's a lot to like about the Android OS, I just haven't found a device that made me want to ditch my iPhone.

#39 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

I've only been tempted to buy one Android phone (the HTC Inspire on AT&T), but stopped because they completely ignored the Mac platform for syncing content. HTC was using their HTC Sync program to interface with the phone and there wasn't a Mac version.

While I admit that there's a lot to like about the Android OS, I just haven't found a device that made me want to ditch my iPhone.

I'm the opposite because I absolutely hate those synching programs and just cannot get use to them. With my Android (HTC Droid Incredible), all I had to do was plug my phone into my computer, then I could drag and drop any MP3, photo, etc. into folders on my Droid. So much easier on me. Could take any MP3 and make it a ringtone. If I wanted a file back on my PC, just copy it over from my phone to PC easily. To make a ringtone on the iPhone, I have to go around circles just to get one ringtone mode.
Posted Image

#40 rhymenoceros

rhymenoceros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Kendro posted this in the iPhone5 thread:

Spoiler

Looks like a beat to me.

I've read some other early articles too that say it rivals or is close. Like I said before, there's some conflicting benchmarks people are pulling. But they're both blazing fast.

http://www.wired.com...e-5-benchmarks/
http://www.extremete...ource=pulsenews

My issue is that at this point, both phones are ridiculous fast. Any differences, performance wise as tested by these benchmarking apps, is moot because you probably won't notice that much of a dropoff between either. It's just like another badge on their lapel touting how their phone is superior by milimeters. I just wish people didn't identify themselves by what kind of phone they have. It tires me. It's just a phone...

Also found this somewhat amusing. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some of these (or all) were plants.

#41 cm games

cm games

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Nokia Lumia 920

Posted Image

BTW, I have owned previous versions of the iphone and also a few different samsung android phones in the past.

I made the Windows phone Jump in early 2011 and haven't looked back. I have a HTC arrive now but I'm hoping Nokia comes out with a qwerty phone (not holding my breath though) soon my contract with sprint is up in April.

#42 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Go with the S3 you won't regret it. And seriously, at this point, the Google Play store is just as good as the app store, every app you'd want on iPhone is on android.
Posted Image

#43 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Galaxy, and it's really not even close unless you are already hopelessly trapped in Apple's crappy ecosystem.

Iphones are marketed to and purchased by people who don't know what they want and can't be bothered to do any research to find out. They are well-built, but technology wise the iPhone is always half a dozen steps behind whatever phone is on the leading edge at the time.

#44 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Galaxy, and it's really not even close unless you are already hopelessly trapped in Apple's crappy ecosystem.

Iphones are marketed to and purchased by people who don't know what they want and can't be bothered to do any research to find out. They are well-built, but technology wise the iPhone is always half a dozen steps behind whatever phone is on the leading edge at the time.

Not true whatsoever. A lot of people who "know what they want" choose iPhones. People like the iPhone and it's interface.

fyi: I use an android phone (Samsung infuse 4g)

#45 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

I think these posters comparing to the iPhone are pretty funny, things like "tilt to zoom" and "shake to update" are they really amazing game changing features?

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#46 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

I think these posters comparing to the iPhone are pretty funny, things like "tilt to zoom" and "shake to update" are they really amazing game changing features?

I lean toward Android, but I feel the same. It is stupid to add those trivial features to the comparison.

#47 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

No but NFC and removable battery are a pretty big deal

#48 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

And seriously, at this point, the Google Play store is just as good as the app store, every app you'd want on iPhone is on android.

You are kidding right? With an iphone I could be playing Lunar Silver Star, Infinity Blade, Cave shooters, and many cool games. iphone doesn't have a lot going for it but Android is not close to catching up gaming wise.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#49 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Gotta ask, the folks lining up to buy that thing, do these folks not have jobs, lives, families, etc.? If so, who the hell takes a vacation day to buy a phone? Seriously, have some patience, people. The world won't end if you aren't one of the first in your area to get the newest iwhatever.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#50 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'd never line up to buy a gadget, game console etc. But I imagine a lot of the campers are students, housewives, people with flexible schedules etc.

#51 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Gotta ask, the folks lining up to buy that thing, do these folks not have jobs, lives, families, etc.? If so, who the hell takes a vacation day to buy a phone? Seriously, have some patience, people. The world won't end if you aren't one of the first in your area to get the newest iwhatever.

People who are excited for a product. If they want to, and can, why not?

#52 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

You are kidding right? With an iphone I could be playing Lunar Silver Star, Infinity Blade, Cave shooters, and many cool games. iphone doesn't have a lot going for it but Android is not close to catching up gaming wise.

Sorry I don't game on my phone wasn't thinking about that. But In terms of gaming IMO android still kicks iOS ass because you can run emulators without jail brake/rooting.

#53 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:43 AM

Sorry I don't game on my phone wasn't thinking about that. But In terms of gaming IMO android still kicks iOS ass because you can run emulators without jail brake/rooting.

Running 25 year old games on a touchscreen instead of new games that were made for the platform isn't really a win.

#54 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

Sums up Apple people pretty well

Running 25 year old games on a touchscreen instead of new games that were made for the platform isn't really a win.

I'd rather play old snes or nes games than these crappy new a-d-d ridden mobile games these days.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#55 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

If you'd rather play angry birds and doodle jump as apposed to earthbound and Super Mario World, then by all means, buy an iPhone.

#56 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

If you'd rather play angry birds and doodle jump as apposed to earthbound and Super Mario World, then by all means, buy an iPhone.

The majority of the planet is doing so. Portable gaming is dead as a doornail outside of Japan. Any parent with common sense would get their child a Itouch and 99 cent/free games for cheaper then a 3DS + a game, and more games that cost $40 each. Those days are dead and over in the US. Not only cheaper games, apps for education and learning, and 100s of other uses. Nintendo isnt even relevant anymore to most people, apple took their spot and then some for family friendly and adored.

#57 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

Well I already beat both of those games more times than I can remember, so I am going to try new games like Final Fantasy Dimensions

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#58 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:30 AM

I'm done.

#59 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

http://www.digitaltr...ne-and-android/

I'm currently preparing to transfer from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone. iOS is nice if you enjoy living in a Bio-Dome-esque atmosphere, but I prefer the openness and flexibility of Android.

Now, my only problem is deciding to wait for the Galaxy Note 2 or go with the Galaxy S3. Considering how my iPhone 4's battery has been charging for shit since the iPhone 5 saw release (which is an interesting coincidence), I may opt for the S3, now, then later buy the Note 2. I can swap between phones with my SIM card, right?

#60 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

http://www.digitaltr...ne-and-android/

I'm currently preparing to transfer from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone. iOS is nice if you enjoy living in a Bio-Dome-esque atmosphere, but I prefer the openness and flexibility of Android.

Now, my only problem is deciding to wait for the Galaxy Note 2 or go with the Galaxy S3. Considering how my iPhone 4's battery has been charging for shit since the iPhone 5 saw release (which is an interesting coincidence), I may opt for the S3, now, then later buy the Note 2. I can swap between phones with my SIM card, right?

I would wait for the Note 2.

If the phones are GSM, then yes just swap sims.