Free $15 gift card with xcom preorder at Best buy

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

I was looking at bestbuy.com right and now i noticed under Xcom, there is a offer that give free $15 gift card. This would be an excellent for those who have a lot of best buy gift card and want to get the game a little cheaper special the PC special edition.

http://www.bestbuy.c...&ks=960&st=xcom

#2 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Great catch! Now the question is, are the physical extras worth more than the $10 off you'd get at gmg ... hmmm, choices

#3 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Also have to factor in the bandwidth to download. Even the demo is like 5 gig, not sure how many gig will full game be... specially to those of us have 150gig limit and best buy gift card from trading stuff in. Also not sure where u can 10 off from.. from what I tried, Xcom refuse to work with any code even if it is 10% off at GMG, if u favor in the free gift card best buy, u save maybe like 5-6 buck.

Edited by Xellos2099, 24 September 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#4 Jinque

Jinque

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Bought PC edition with $40 in reward certs; thanks op.

#5 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Also have to factor in the bandwidth to download. Even the demo is like 5 gig, not sure how many gig will full game be... specially to those of us have 150gig limit and best buy gift card from trading stuff in. Also not sure where u can 10 off from.. from what I tried, Xcom refuse to work with any code even if it is 10% off at GMG, if u favor in the free gift card best buy, u save maybe like 5-6 buck.

Well, sadly I messed up the promo GMG ran over the weekend, but the game was $45 plus an additional $8 off with trade in of a free game they were giving away this weekend. Sadly, I didn't read the directions and ended up trading in said game for $0.00 and not getting the $8 credit off Xcom ... you live you learn, right? But yeah, the Special Edition is $60 + tax ... the GMG version would be $15 off that plus another $X off if they run any more trade in promos.

#6 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

You were abducted by Sectoid XD

#7 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Might be the first time in a long time I preorder a PC game...
Posted Image

#8 ml_paladin888

ml_paladin888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

somewhat decent deal.

$50 on steam

$60+tax with $15 off future purchase

in the end (with 7% NJ sales tax) it comes out to be 80 cents cheaper

#9 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Please preorder this on Steam! If enough people preorder we'll all get Civ 5 for free!
Posted Image

#10 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

somewhat decent deal.

$50 on steam

$60+tax with $15 off future purchase

in the end (with 7% NJ sales tax) it comes out to be 80 cents cheaper

Plus:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

And the bandwidth needed to download the game

#12 captubaplayer

captubaplayer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

Awesome! Thanks Op! I had been hesitant to pull the trigger on a pre-order as I have been leaning towards pre-ordering only the games that give the $20 in reward certificates. I will definitely take a $15 gift card along with a game that I want!

#13 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

And chance of pricematch later

#14 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

Glad to see this applies to the 360 version too, which has been previewed quite a bit lately and looks phenomenal.

I may just lift my embargo on buying games new to pick this up. Might as well not buy anything else the rest of the year, either - the replay on this will probably be pretty slick.

#15 Lord Hamm

Lord Hamm

Give me a Dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Is this in store too?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hoping the $40 Newegg pre-order I got ends up being the SE (it should be, my understanding is the first run of PC retail is).
Posted Image

#17 Dabears34

Dabears34

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

I've been spoiled with all the BBY deals for 5$ and 10$ games but I love xcom so much. This will be only one of a few games I'm pre-ordering this year.

Thanks OP you made my decision to go with BBY over GS easy.

#18 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Is this game a return of the RTS version? I loved the old X-Com games.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check out my Gaming Stream.

#19 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Is this game a return of the RTS version? I loved the old X-Com games.

Yes. They were making a remake that looks like a terrible FPS of some sort. TONS of fans screamed foul. (google Spoony x-com Betrayal, lol) I think enough people complained that they handed off the development of a REAL X-com sequal to Firaxis Games. Who didd a bunch of the Civilization, and Sid Meyers Pirates! games. The gameplay ive seen makes it look pretty damn good. A crap ton better than the generic FPS version

Im not sure if its worth pre-ordering though. I plan on getting the 360 version but ill probably wit for it to drop. Anyone know how the giftcard works? Do you get it emailed to you later on? Im wondering i i can pre-order then return the game after i get the card

^_^x KD
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#20 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yes. They were making a remake that looks like a terrible FPS of some sort. TONS of fans screamed foul. (google Spoony x-com Betrayal, lol) I think enough people complained that they handed off the development of a REAL X-com sequal to Firaxis Games. Who didd a bunch of the Civilization, and Sid Meyers Pirates! games. The gameplay ive seen makes it look pretty damn good. A crap ton better than the generic FPS version.

No, the FPS is still getting made by 2K games. It has been pushed off into 2013 sometime. Whether or not it is "generic" remains to be seen.
Posted Image

#21 honzoh

honzoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Anyone know how the giftcard works?

They mail you the GC immediately after full purchase through the website. You'll actually receive the GC before the game releases (doesn't matter, as you have to pay in full for preorder).

Im wondering i i can pre-order then return the game after i get the card

You can always return the game and keep the GC. However, your receipt will have the GC charged to it at $0 (still showing it's value at $15) and they'll deduct $15 from the returned price. Best Buy doesn't like scammers.

#22 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

They mail you the GC immediately after full purchase through the website. You'll actually receive the GC before the game releases (doesn't matter, as you have to pay in full for preorder).

You can always return the game and keep the GC. However, your receipt will have the GC charged to it at $0 (still showing it's value at $15) and they'll deduct $15 from the returned price. Best Buy doesn't like scammers.

and ppl wonder why we have to wait 30 days for the $20 rewardzone certificate for preordering certain titles

#23 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

The mindless reflexive l, dare I say generic, hatred of the "generic" FPS is equal parts funny and sad.

#24 starkillr

starkillr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Demo is out on Steam if you want a very very brief taste of Xcom. I liked it but really wanted more than what they put out there. Too short, but whatever, in a couple weeks it will be miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

#25 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

The mindless reflexive l, dare I say generic, hatred of the "generic" FPS is equal parts funny and sad.

Funny thing is that's the only Xcom I'm interested in. I got all excited when I kept seeing Xcom popping up in threads, unfortunately it's the wrong one.

#26 SilverBulletKY

SilverBulletKY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I hope Amazon matches this

#27 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

To be honest, when that was first announced, the hatred was understandable. Those of us who are fans of the original didn't want that.
Posted Image

#28 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

To be honest, when that was first announced, the hatred was understandable. Those of us who are fans of the original didn't want that.

Yeah, before they announced this game, it felt like they bought the license just to make another FPS where you fight aliens. Thankfully we're getting this game too, and it looks damn good.
Posted Image

#29 Althax

Althax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Whoa whoa whoa! I've had this pre ordered at gamestop for the past few months. Is this online only? PC only?

I will swap that pre order in a heartbeat but I need it on the 360.

#30 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Whoa whoa whoa! I've had this pre ordered at gamestop for the past few months. Is this online only?

I will swap that pre order in a heartbeat!

i think it might be online only