Free $15 gift card with xcom preorder at Best buy

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#31 Althax

Althax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yes. They were making a remake that looks like a terrible FPS of some sort. TONS of fans screamed foul. (google Spoony x-com Betrayal, lol) I think enough people complained that they handed off the development of a REAL X-com sequal to Firaxis Games. Who didd a bunch of the Civilization, and Sid Meyers Pirates! games. The gameplay ive seen makes it look pretty damn good. A crap ton better than the generic FPS version

Im not sure if its worth pre-ordering though. I plan on getting the 360 version but ill probably wit for it to drop. Anyone know how the giftcard works? Do you get it emailed to you later on? Im wondering i i can pre-order then return the game after i get the card

^_^x KD

Bad info in there. They didnt just hand it over to firaxis, they have been working on it for 4 years. The shooter was pushed off due to backlash o have no doubt.

#32 Althax

Althax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

i think it might be online only

Alright, I can live with that. Time to piss off a gamestop employee with a canceled pre order!

#33 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Alright, I can live with that. Time to piss off a gamestop employee with a canceled pre order!

what preorder bouns does gamestop offer?

#34 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Gonna try out the demo here in a few minutes.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#35 Althax

Althax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

what preorder bouns does gamestop offer?

Theres only 1 pre order bonus and it's across all vendors. You get the classic xcom haircut and character customization tools for your dead meat squadies.

#36 Althax

Althax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

Ordered my 360 copy with store pickup. Still get it on release day, free 15$ gift card. Yay!

#37 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:59 AM

Is this any good on consoles? I wanna play it on my couch, but I'll go for PC if the console version is a lot shittier.
Posted Image

#38 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:06 AM

No, the FPS is still getting made by 2K games. It has been pushed off into 2013 sometime. Whether or not it is "generic" remains to be seen.

Umm... at what point did I say the FPS WASN'T still being made? The guy asked about THIS game and I answered his question. Maybe my wording was a bit odd?

and @ the guy mocking people hating generic FPS's... I dont hate generic FPS's. People were pissed off that one of the classic RTS games was being turned into a crappy looking FPS. Thats like taking something like Citizen Kane, and remaking it as a big budget action movie staring Vin Diesal or something. Its just retarded

^_^x KD
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#39 usagi

usagi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

I just tried the demo from steam. The game looks great and reminds of Advanced wars types of games. Too bad the demo is just a tutorial level and a 2nd level where you between 2 locations. I'm definitely getting this game and see spending many hours on it being a tactical game.

#40 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

and @ the guy mocking people hating generic FPS's... I dont hate generic FPS's. People were pissed off that one of the classic RTS games was being turned into a crappy looking FPS. Thats like taking something like Citizen Kane, and remaking it as a big budget action movie staring Vin Diesal or something. Its just retarded.

Exactly - everyone loved the original X-Com. Why on earth were we getting an FPS?

That's like taking the classic Shadowrun RPG and turning it into an online shooter.

#41 DWulf

DWulf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Son of a...I just decided to pre-order this for PC (normally I'd wait til it drops in price, but the $15 gc and physical swag swayed me) and it's sold out online for PC!

#42 GrimmTrixX

GrimmTrixX

Finish Him!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

ok so decided to bite on this. i had it preordered on amazon.com which wouldve been $59.99 tax free, but i figured getting a $15 gift card at BB and having $10 in reward certificates, its still a better deal. ANd i can do in store pickup and get it next tuesday instead of waiting like 3-5 days from amazon. glad I checked here before it was too late! Thanks!

XBL/PSN: GrimmTrixX
Currently Playing
:360:
Dishonored

:ps3: The Last of Us
:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
:3ds: Bravely Default

#43 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

i got the manager from my bestbuy store to price match the $15 gc offer with preorder / purchase of the game

#44 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

What's XCOM?

#45 jrbatche2001

jrbatche2001

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Damn, saw this too late as pre-orders are already sold out for the PC version. I have $40 in reward zone bucks too, so it would have effectively made the game $5. I may try to go pre-purchase from the store and get the $15, though I haven't had good luck matching deals at my particular location in the past.

#46 GaMeR_2007

GaMeR_2007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Tempting, but I'll also probably wait until there's a drop.

#47 Althax

Althax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

What's XCOM?

Not sure if serious....

Just in case:

http://www.xcom.com/

Also, I received my 15$ gift card via mail yesterday. Nice bc next tuesday I will go pick up my xcom and turn around and use it on dishonored.

#48 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Exactly - everyone loved the original X-Com. Why on earth were we getting an FPS?

That's like taking the classic Shadowrun RPG and turning it into an online shooter.

Or turning Syndicate into a first-person shooter. Oh wait...
Posted Image

#49 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Damn, saw this too late as pre-orders are already sold out for the PC version. I have $40 in reward zone bucks too, so it would have effectively made the game $5. I may try to go pre-purchase from the store and get the $15, though I haven't had good luck matching deals at my particular location in the past.

Damnit! Just as I get my $50 gift card in today...

Guess that means I'm not preordering.
Posted Image

#50 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

I tried to preorder this in store when I pick up RE6 and the system is not letting me do it. To made sure i have the retail copy as I am bandwidth limited, i preorder from newegg.

Edited by Xellos2099, 03 October 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#51 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

Darnit - I bit. Could no longer resist.

Thankfully Best Buy still has their 100% trade in credit promo going, so by ditching both Black Ops and Battlefield 3, I put that $48 towards XCOM - after tax and with the $15 gift card for pre-ordering, I essentially get this for $2. (I also picked up Black Ops and BF3 on Goozex ages ago, so...okay, I probably spent closer to $25 real dollars - fine by me.)

Though I'm trying to amass enough credit to put a sizable dent in a new computer, XCOM makes me weak. And it's a weakness to be savored. =)

That it's being made by Firaxis comforts me to no end. The 9.5 review over at GameInformer closed the deal (though their love of RE6 baffles me).

#52 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Darnit - I bit. Could no longer resist.

Thankfully Best Buy still has their 100% trade in credit promo going, so by ditching both Black Ops and Battlefield 3, I put that $48 towards XCOM - after tax and with the $15 gift card for pre-ordering, I essentially get this for $2. (I also picked up Black Ops and BF3 on Goozex ages ago, so...okay, I probably spent closer to $25 real dollars - fine by me.)

Though I'm trying to amass enough credit to put a sizable dent in a new computer, XCOM makes me weak. And it's a weakness to be savored. =)

That it's being made by Firaxis comforts me to no end. The 9.5 review over at GameInformer closed the deal (though their love of RE6 baffles me).

amazon is also offering a similar deal, but with $15 amazon promo credit, since bestbuy sold out of pc version.

#53 spatenfloot

spatenfloot

Don't read this!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

Picked one up since I just got $30 in RZ certificates. Using credit for the rest and should be able to price match before Dec.

#54 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

amazon is also offering a similar deal, but with $15 amazon promo credit, since bestbuy sold out of pc version.

Yeah, I saw that - only problem is that Amazon is not guaranteeing release-day delivery, not without ponying up another $3.99. I can play it on Tuesday, but not again until Sunday, so if I wanna get my feet wet on Tuesday, best option is in-store pickup at BB.

#55 pwnthee

pwnthee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

my $15 gc arrived today. I pre-ordered last week sometime. That was fast! I also got my $25 RZ certificate for the Fifa 2013 today (Silver member and gamers club unlocked, so I get 2x RZ points and 25% extra on top of that, so I've been getting $25 RZ certs).
Billy Mitchell is better than you.

#56 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Question for veteran XCOM-ers... Does your CAG mind think this will game drop fast?

Throughout this gen, history shows other 2K games have dropped very fast: Darkness II, Mafia II, Bioshock, etc. Or do you think because it is such an epic 'waiting for years' title that they will keep the price relatively MSRP-ish.

I never played the original back in the day. But this game looks awesome -- I just want to hear your thoughts...

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#57 DaddyBoJangles

DaddyBoJangles

A Blue Slime Appears

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

:applause::applause::applause:
Posted Image

I'm the hero of this story, don't need to be saved

#58 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Big fan of the Xcom & UFO series, but the inner cheap ass is screaming at me to hold off for a price drop that is sure to come in the next month or two.

Last year I bought a few games around this time period and right after TRU, Amazon, and Target had "B2G1" or "3 games for $4x" sales.

#59 ubdu

ubdu

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Big fan of the Xcom & UFO series, but the inner cheap ass is screaming at me to hold off for a price drop that is sure to come in the next month or two.

Last year I bought a few games around this time period and right after TRU, Amazon, and Target had "B2G1" or "3 games for $4x" sales.

I think this is going to drop like a rock on its own. I love TBS (especially HOMM 3), but there is really no market for these games any longer. I would pre-order in a heartbeat if I thought that would have any bearing on getting more TBS games made, but I just can't see that happening.

157446.png1971290-1-GregGale.png

#60 Naramie

Naramie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

EA had no problem turning Syndicate into a crap FPS game.