Free $15 gift card with xcom preorder at Best buy

Great catch! Now the question is, are the physical extras worth more than the $10 off you'd get at gmg ... hmmm, choices

Also have to factor in the bandwidth to download. Even the demo is like 5 gig, not sure how many gig will full game be... specially to those of us have 150gig limit and best buy gift card from trading stuff in. Also not sure where u can 10 off from.. from what I tried, Xcom refuse to work with any code even if it is 10% off at GMG, if u favor in the free gift card best buy, u save maybe like 5-6 buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Xellos2099']Also have to factor in the bandwidth to download. Even the demo is like 5 gig, not sure how many gig will full game be... specially to those of us have 150gig limit and best buy gift card from trading stuff in. Also not sure where u can 10 off from.. from what I tried, Xcom refuse to work with any code even if it is 10% off at GMG, if u favor in the free gift card best buy, u save maybe like 5-6 buck.[/QUOTE]

Well, sadly I messed up the promo GMG ran over the weekend, but the game was $45 plus an additional $8 off with trade in of a free game they were giving away this weekend. Sadly, I didn't read the directions and ended up trading in said game for $0.00 and not getting the $8 credit off Xcom ... you live you learn, right? But yeah, the Special Edition is $60 + tax ... the GMG version would be $15 off that plus another $X off if they run any more trade in promos.

somewhat decent deal.

$50 on steam

$60+tax with $15 off future purchase

in the end (with 7% NJ sales tax) it comes out to be 80 cents cheaper

[quote name='ml_paladin888']somewhat decent deal.

$50 on steam

$60+tax with $15 off future purchase

in the end (with 7% NJ sales tax) it comes out to be 80 cents cheaper[/QUOTE]

Plus:

XCOM_EU_Special_Edition.jpg

Awesome! Thanks Op! I had been hesitant to pull the trigger on a pre-order as I have been leaning towards pre-ordering only the games that give the $20 in reward certificates. I will definitely take a $15 gift card along with a game that I want!

Glad to see this applies to the 360 version too, which has been previewed quite a bit lately and looks phenomenal.

I may just lift my embargo on buying games new to pick this up. Might as well not buy anything else the rest of the year, either - the replay on this will probably be pretty slick.

I've been spoiled with all the BBY deals for 5$ and 10$ games but I love xcom so much. This will be only one of a few games I'm pre-ordering this year.

Thanks OP you made my decision to go with BBY over GS easy.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Is this game a return of the RTS version? I loved the old X-Com games.[/QUOTE]

Yes. They were making a remake that looks like a terrible FPS of some sort. TONS of fans screamed foul. (google Spoony x-com Betrayal, lol) I think enough people complained that they handed off the development of a REAL X-com sequal to Firaxis Games. Who didd a bunch of the Civilization, and Sid Meyers Pirates! games. The gameplay ive seen makes it look pretty damn good. A crap ton better than the generic FPS version

Im not sure if its worth pre-ordering though. I plan on getting the 360 version but ill probably wit for it to drop. Anyone know how the giftcard works? Do you get it emailed to you later on? Im wondering i i can pre-order then return the game after i get the card

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']Yes. They were making a remake that looks like a terrible FPS of some sort. TONS of fans screamed foul. (google Spoony x-com Betrayal, lol) I think enough people complained that they handed off the development of a REAL X-com sequal to Firaxis Games. Who didd a bunch of the Civilization, and Sid Meyers Pirates! games. The gameplay ive seen makes it look pretty damn good. A crap ton better than the generic FPS version.[/QUOTE]

No, the FPS is still getting made by 2K games. It has been pushed off into 2013 sometime. Whether or not it is "generic" remains to be seen.

Anyone know how the giftcard works?

They mail you the GC immediately after full purchase through the website. You'll actually receive the GC before the game releases (doesn't matter, as you have to pay in full for preorder).

Im wondering i i can pre-order then return the game after i get the card

You can always return the game and keep the GC. However, your receipt will have the GC charged to it at $0 (still showing it's value at $15) and they'll deduct $15 from the returned price. Best Buy doesn't like scammers.

[quote name='honzoh']They mail you the GC immediately after full purchase through the website. You'll actually receive the GC before the game releases (doesn't matter, as you have to pay in full for preorder).

You can always return the game and keep the GC. However, your receipt will have the GC charged to it at $0 (still showing it's value at $15) and they'll deduct $15 from the returned price. Best Buy doesn't like scammers.[/QUOTE]

and ppl wonder why we have to wait 30 days for the $20 rewardzone certificate for preordering certain titles

Demo is out on Steam if you want a very very brief taste of Xcom. I liked it but really wanted more than what they put out there. Too short, but whatever, in a couple weeks it will be miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

[quote name='Rsmobile']The mindless reflexive l, dare I say generic, hatred of the "generic" FPS is equal parts funny and sad.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is that's the only Xcom I'm interested in. I got all excited when I kept seeing Xcom popping up in threads, unfortunately it's the wrong one.

[quote name='Rsmobile']The mindless reflexive l, dare I say generic, hatred of the "generic" FPS is equal parts funny and sad.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, when that was first announced, the hatred was understandable. Those of us who are fans of the original didn't want that.

[quote name='TheLongshot']To be honest, when that was first announced, the hatred was understandable. Those of us who are fans of the original didn't want that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, before they announced this game, it felt like they bought the license just to make another FPS where you fight aliens. Thankfully we're getting this game too, and it looks damn good.

Whoa whoa whoa! I've had this pre ordered at gamestop for the past few months. Is this online only? PC only?

I will swap that pre order in a heartbeat but I need it on the 360.

[quote name='Althax']Whoa whoa whoa! I've had this pre ordered at gamestop for the past few months. Is this online only?

I will swap that pre order in a heartbeat![/QUOTE]

i think it might be online only

[quote name='Kenshindono']Yes. They were making a remake that looks like a terrible FPS of some sort. TONS of fans screamed foul. (google Spoony x-com Betrayal, lol) I think enough people complained that they handed off the development of a REAL X-com sequal to Firaxis Games. Who didd a bunch of the Civilization, and Sid Meyers Pirates! games. The gameplay ive seen makes it look pretty damn good. A crap ton better than the generic FPS version

Im not sure if its worth pre-ordering though. I plan on getting the 360 version but ill probably wit for it to drop. Anyone know how the giftcard works? Do you get it emailed to you later on? Im wondering i i can pre-order then return the game after i get the card

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Bad info in there. They didnt just hand it over to firaxis, they have been working on it for 4 years. The shooter was pushed off due to backlash o have no doubt.

[quote name='YBX87']i think it might be online only[/QUOTE]

Alright, I can live with that. Time to piss off a gamestop employee with a canceled pre order!

[quote name='Althax']Alright, I can live with that. Time to piss off a gamestop employee with a canceled pre order![/QUOTE]

what preorder bouns does gamestop offer?

[quote name='YBX87']what preorder bouns does gamestop offer?[/QUOTE]

Theres only 1 pre order bonus and it's across all vendors. You get the classic xcom haircut and character customization tools for your dead meat squadies.

[quote name='TheLongshot']No, the FPS is still getting made by 2K games. It has been pushed off into 2013 sometime. Whether or not it is "generic" remains to be seen.[/QUOTE]

Umm... at what point did I say the FPS WASN'T still being made? The guy asked about THIS game and I answered his question. Maybe my wording was a bit odd?

and @ the guy mocking people hating generic FPS's... I dont hate generic FPS's. People were pissed off that one of the classic RTS games was being turned into a crappy looking FPS. Thats like taking something like Citizen Kane, and remaking it as a big budget action movie staring Vin Diesal or something. Its just retarded

^_^x KD

I just tried the demo from steam. The game looks great and reminds of Advanced wars types of games. Too bad the demo is just a tutorial level and a 2nd level where you between 2 locations. I'm definitely getting this game and see spending many hours on it being a tactical game.

[quote name='Kenshindono']and @ the guy mocking people hating generic FPS's... I dont hate generic FPS's. People were pissed off that one of the classic RTS games was being turned into a crappy looking FPS. Thats like taking something like Citizen Kane, and remaking it as a big budget action movie staring Vin Diesal or something. Its just retarded.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - everyone loved the original X-Com. Why on earth were we getting an FPS?

That's like taking the classic Shadowrun RPG and turning it into an online shooter.

Son of a...I just decided to pre-order this for PC (normally I'd wait til it drops in price, but the $15 gc and physical swag swayed me) and it's sold out online for PC!

ok so decided to bite on this. i had it preordered on amazon.com which wouldve been $59.99 tax free, but i figured getting a $15 gift card at BB and having $10 in reward certificates, its still a better deal. ANd i can do in store pickup and get it next tuesday instead of waiting like 3-5 days from amazon. glad I checked here before it was too late! Thanks!

i got the manager from my bestbuy store to price match the $15 gc offer with preorder / purchase of the game

Damn, saw this too late as pre-orders are already sold out for the PC version. I have $40 in reward zone bucks too, so it would have effectively made the game $5. I may try to go pre-purchase from the store and get the $15, though I haven't had good luck matching deals at my particular location in the past.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']What's XCOM?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if serious....

Just in case:

http://www.xcom.com/

Also, I received my 15$ gift card via mail yesterday. Nice bc next tuesday I will go pick up my xcom and turn around and use it on dishonored.

[quote name='Kylearan']Exactly - everyone loved the original X-Com. Why on earth were we getting an FPS?

That's like taking the classic Shadowrun RPG and turning it into an online shooter.[/QUOTE]

Or turning Syndicate into a first-person shooter. Oh wait...

[quote name='jrbatche2001']Damn, saw this too late as pre-orders are already sold out for the PC version. I have $40 in reward zone bucks too, so it would have effectively made the game $5. I may try to go pre-purchase from the store and get the $15, though I haven't had good luck matching deals at my particular location in the past.[/QUOTE]

Damnit! Just as I get my $50 gift card in today...

Guess that means I'm not preordering.

bread's done
Back