Gamestop selling Redbox discs as used

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 iambeaker

iambeaker

Right Wing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Went to Gamestop because they had a copy of Borderlands 2 used. I didn't notice the disc until I got home.
I called the GameStop where I purchased the game. They said, "Yeah, we sell these all the time. We don't care."
I got a hold of RedBox via Twitter. They asked me to send in the barcode so they can do some investigation.
I will update this thread as I get more information.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me Señor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Thats not right.

#3 razrvamp

razrvamp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Epic gamestop fail

#4 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

There is no excuse for that.

#5 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

This isn't new.

#6 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

This isn't new.

You're right, it's used. *rimshot*

But in all seriousness, wow, what the hell. I'm interested in hearing what Redbox has to say about this. Really hope something is done about that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

damn. I don't see a happy ending for this

#8 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Dont those just peel right off? So dumbass A just leaves the label on when trading it and then dumbass B at Gamestop accepts it anyway? Either that or Gamestop just steals Redbox's shit and resells it.

#9 myl0r

myl0r

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Won't whoever rented it and never returned it just get their credit card charged eventually? And I know they charge like $25 PLUS late fees for movies, I can't imagine games. Nothing wrong with Gamestop selling a game that was traded in.

#10 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

looks used to me.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#11 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Used item is used... Is this a crime?

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#12 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

I dont use redbox so have no idea but from the OP I thought those labels were specific to Redbox. Is that not true?

#13 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Heads up i hate stickers like these.. one of our local video stores put them on MOVIES and over time they will become lose and bubble up... Last year we had a DVD get stuck in the machine cause of the sticker
WOOOO I STINK

#14 iambeaker

iambeaker

Right Wing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Won't whoever rented it and never returned it just get their credit card charged eventually? And I know they charge like $25 PLUS late fees for movies, I can't imagine games. Nothing wrong with Gamestop selling a game that was traded in.

From Redbox's website (Under "What happens if I lose a disc?": Every day you don't return a disc, you'll be charged the daily fee + applicable tax. .... Those charges are $24 + tax for DVDs ($25.40 in Maryland), $34.50 + tax for Blu-ray™ Discs ($35.51 in Maryland) and $60 + tax for video games ($61.48 in Maryland). At boxes where DVDs rent for $1 a day, the maximum rental period is for DVDs is 25 days and the maximum rental charge is $25 + tax.

I dont use redbox so have no idea but from the OP I thought those labels were specific to Redbox. Is that not true?

Yes, these barcodes are for Redbox. Other companies like Blockbuster Express, may have their own proprietary barcode system. I hope this answers your question.

#15 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

To be honest this happens in a lot of places.

Gamestop will take in games disc only, and there is nothing on the barcode that says they can't accept the game for trade in.

And not every Gamestop employee will know about Redbox. Some of them can barely even dress themselves properly, so you can't expect every employee to be a genius, and knows what's what. And even if they knew they were taking it in, the seller is taking full responsibility that they will be taking in the fines for selling the game as opposed to returning it to Redbox. Gamestop employees are paid to know Gamestop's poliies (sometimes they don't even know that), not Redbox's.

The days of "Not For Resale" are basically over. Only times stores won't take in trades are usually if someone trades in a bulk of disc only games, or if a bunch of games are still sealed. Those are really the only exceptions. Pawn laws are also varied by state, and in the cases aforementioned wouldn't even apply.

And since you mentioned that they charges for people who "lose" their disc or sell it to Gamestop, is this not Redbox's policy to combat people who steal or sell the games?

Look, I'm not saying this is right in any possibility imaginable, but it doesn't really seem like it's something you should be pinning on one specific company alone just because you've only seen it happen there.

But to be honest this has been a problem for awhile, and at many other stores I've been too that's not just Gamestop. HPB is one, seen them at thrift stores too. It's a pretty common problem, and until Redbox decides that this structure they have put into place isn't working properly it is up to them to do something about it, not Gamestop.
Posted Image

#16 pippin

pippin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

I would assume that whoever rented the game from redbox and traded it in probably didn't use their own credit card. Maybe a prepaid card with only a few dollars on it or the credit card of an ex-lover or something.

#17 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

For those don't know, there are ways to scam Redbox so you can keep the game while avoiding the late fees.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#18 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me Señor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

For those don't know, there are ways to scam Redbox so you can keep the game while avoiding the late fees.

would you care to share with the rest of the class, Tsel? ;)

#19 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

I would assume that whoever rented the game from redbox and traded it in probably didn't use their own credit card. Maybe a prepaid card with only a few dollars on it or the credit card of an ex-lover or something.

And this can be done with any store too. It's not a problem exclusive of Redbox, but a problem of scumbags.

And these are the kinds of things that Redbox should be fixing rather than worrying about how to control the human condition.
Posted Image

#20 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

would you care to share with the rest of the class, Tsel? ;)

If he does I have a sneaking suspicious it's going to go "via Twitter" to Redbox. I can feel it. Somebody will put it up "via Twitter" to Redbox. It will be there mysteriously "via Twitter". A secret will unfold from there "via Twitter". I know it's going to happen. I still don't know how I know of this, but I can feel it! Call it intuition.
Posted Image

#21 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

There was the story of the guy who went to redbox and got a printout of the disc instead of a game. So along with the prepaid card theory they could be just returning printouts of discs so they can sell the game

#22 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

There was the story of the guy who went to redbox and got a printout of the disc instead of a game. So along with the prepaid card theory they could be just returning printouts of discs so they can sell the game

This.

#23 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

This actually happens quite often actually...

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#24 shadyfozzie

shadyfozzie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

How is Redbox still in business?? All I hear about them is how people steal movies/games and rip people off with overcharges... If you just google 'Redbox complaints" there's a TON of them... Why would anyone even use them?? Anything that doesn't give you a receipt isn't worth using, esp. with a credit card..

#25 poopants

poopants

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I've never had any issues with Redbox, and I've used them a lot. I also get a receipt in my e-mail after I return the movie.

#26 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

OH wow. I have never used Redbox so I had no way of knowing what a Redbox disk was like.
As a GameStop employee, I can confirm I have taken disks like this as trades :(

#27 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Anything that doesn't give you a receipt isn't worth using, esp. with a credit card..

They e-mail receipts.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#28 Reaggo

Reaggo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

And here is just yet another reason to ask to view the disc prior to ever purchasing a used title.

#29 orangecrush

orangecrush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

To be fair to Gamestop, it is possible (though highly unlikely) that the game wasn't stolen.

#30 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

To be honest this happens in a lot of places.

Gamestop will take in games disc only, and there is nothing on the barcode that says they can't accept the game for trade in.

And not every Gamestop employee will know about Redbox. Some of them can barely even dress themselves properly, so you can't expect every employee to be a genius, and knows what's what. And even if they knew they were taking it in, the seller is taking full responsibility that they will be taking in the fines for selling the game as opposed to returning it to Redbox. Gamestop employees are paid to know Gamestop's poliies (sometimes they don't even know that), not Redbox's.

The days of "Not For Resale" are basically over. Only times stores won't take in trades are usually if someone trades in a bulk of disc only games, or if a bunch of games are still sealed. Those are really the only exceptions. Pawn laws are also varied by state, and in the cases aforementioned wouldn't even apply.

Gamestop has no defense here, at least they wouldn't in my state. In MD they're considered a Pawn and are required to take licenses...
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...