THIS is NEW? Keep it classy, GameStop

Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I literally burst out laughing in the store. It's already annoying that they throw out the cases to used DS and PSP games. But while browsing the other day, I discovered this.

6D6DE988-20B4-4181-A7BD-8E5DC6ED89AD-2436-0000011BC67D6C80.jpg

ROFLMFAO!! That is being sold as new. And it's not just that. That entire bottom row of mostly caseless games was in the new section and every single one of them was labelled as "new". It's one thing to gut games and sell them as new. It's debatable..."it's new, because it's never been played and it's still the original packaging, DLC codes, etc"...but this...what the fuck?

If this is really new, where the god damn hell did the cases and manuals go? I checked...none of these had manuals. One of those "new" games is Super Mario 64 DS. Where is the registration code for Club Nintendo that should come with a new game? I just...WHERE THE HELL ARE THE ORIGINAL CASES? How the hell are these new?

I just found this absolutely hilarious and thought i'd share. It's mind boggling.

Someone posted a pic awhile back of them selling a "new" kopy of Mortal Kombat (PS Vita) as a lone cartridge in a generic blue vita case with Gamestop advertising but no cover art.

I remember seeing a PS2 basketball game like that for $29.99 a few years ago. They had a sticker on the case that said 10% off since it wasn't the original case and there was no manual.

ever think that maybe some douche stole the display box? oh wait everyone hates gamestop and will mock them no matter what.

[quote name='rudy6799']ever think that maybe some douche stole the display box? oh wait everyone hates gamestop and will mock them no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's actually very likely that someone stole a display box for Xia-Xia... it's quite the hot commodity.

I'm thinking this is more of a mistake in the system that caused their price label to print "new" instead of "used." So more then likely this really is a used copy.

[quote name='rudy6799']ever think that maybe some douche stole the display box? oh wait everyone hates gamestop and will mock them no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like we've got a bitter GS employee here. Nobody can defend Gamestop unless they're signing that person's paycheck.

[quote name='StryderOmega']Remember, PR for GS says Used is an ugly term and "Pre-Owned" is now the new Used term.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, makes me sick. Used has a negative connotation to it, so they try to sugarcoat it by calling it pre-owned. Whenever I want a used game at Gamestop, I always tell the employee I'm looking for a used game, not a pre-owned one.

I do think its mostly people stealing the cases. A couple stores by me have "new" copies of Etrian Odyssey 2, Super Robot Taisen, Monster rancher, etc but they are a generic case only. The Etrian Odyssey 2 was in the most ghetto mall in Tampa so it would not surprise me at all if it was theft.

I think they should just convert the games to used so they dont get peoples hopes up when they go on the locator and see these rare games new in stock.

[quote name='Bezerker']I do think its mostly people stealing the cases. A couple stores by me have "new" copies of Etrian Odyssey 2, Super Robot Taisen, Monster rancher, etc but they are a generic case only. The Etrian Odyssey 2 was in the most ghetto mall in Tampa so it would not surprise me at all if it was theft.

I think they should just convert the games to used so they dont get peoples hopes up when they go on the locator and see these rare games new in stock.[/QUOTE]

I live in FL also and when I aksed a employee why they gut the cases she said because they get stolen.

That's still not a legit excuse though. If anything they should do like walmart/toys r us does. Either lock them in display cases or put up metal detectors.

Or do what toys r us did back in the day. Just put pictures of the game on display with a case of tickets. You take a ticket to checkout and when they ring it up at the register someone goes to the inventory room and gets the real game. I know IMO id rather be in the store another 10 minutes or so if it means improving their policy.

Gamestop kind of deserves it. For years now people don't even pay attention to their $5 dollar discount on new release games. The main focus for bashing gamestop has been because of gutting games yet they continue to do it.
Its a really shady business practice gamestop does. The thing is enough people are naive enough to still buy them therefore the cycle will continue.

All you can really do is not buy them and hope publishers/developers get on gamestop about this.

This is like a car dealer resetting the mileage and selling a used card as new.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GBAstar']Yeah it's actually very likely that someone stole a display box for Xia-Xia... it's quite the hot commodity.[/QUOTE]

since when is there logic to stealing? and i mean if you are truly going into gamestop just to steal cases i cant imagine you are the brightest soul around so yes stealing the odd ball cases fits with such a person. plus that is just ONE Game.

yea get off gamestops back these are probably new games and no different than if you had bought one that was gutted or a display case game that is new. someone just stole the case. these games are probably new in the same sense of the word in that no one has played them.

dont get me wrong i think these should be labeled used or something but still. cases were likely stolen this is not gamestops fault they have missing cases but oh wait lets all hate gamestop....gamestop brings us xenoblade and the internet rages WHY IS IT EXCLUSIVE TOG GAMESTOP!!!!

gamestop could give out wii u's and people would still find a way to hate them. not to mention all the endless gamestop screwed me stories....oh i didnt get a DLC preorder code....i didnt check my receipt so like an idiot i drove an hour home didnt get a chance to play the game for a week....oooo i know ill post this idiotic story on a message board. when if people checked their damn receipt(takes 2 seconds) problem would be solved.

[quote name='Fukurou']Yeah, makes me sick. Used has a negative connotation to it, so they try to sugarcoat it by calling it pre-owned. Whenever I want a used game at Gamestop, I always tell the employee I'm looking for a used game, not a pre-owned one.[/QUOTE]

No, pre-owned is great; that's where the minty reprints appear :cool:

One of my local ones does that. I went to check out a game, and they only had that case. Guy behind the counter had several in the drawer, said they put the blanks out because people steal the cases, then send their friend right in to trade it, not knowing there's no game in there.

The theft theory doesn't really make sense in this case fully to me. It was just this row of games labelled as new. The entire rest of the new ds wall had real cases, and the more well known popular games all have cases. These are random games for the most part. Not much AAA here.

Oh they are played. They say they are not, but they are.

They are played by the employees when they come out and then put on the shelf as new. Its not for display purposes like they say.

Now on that note, when someone steals the case off the wall they do what you see in the OP.

lol

EDIT: I have never purchased a new game from them that was opened. They have tried hard numerous times. I say, sorry, I will buy it somewhere else.

[quote name='gbastar']yeah it's actually very likely that someone stole a display box for xia-xia... It's quite the hot commodity.[/quote]

: 3

[quote name='needler420']
Or do what toys r us did back in the day. Just put pictures of the game on display with a case of tickets.[/QUOTE]

I always wanted to win that TRU shopping spree from Nickelodeon - my master plan was to bum rush the game aisle and pull all the tickets.

[quote name='Doomstink']I always wanted to win that TRU shopping spree from Nickelodeon - my master plan was to bum rush the game aisle and pull all the tickets.[/QUOTE]

Imagine the swaps you could make with all the doubles.

I too fantasized about those sprees. My god, nobody ever did what I would have done. lol

[quote name='GBAstar']Yeah it's actually very likely that someone stole a display box for Xia-Xia... it's quite the hot commodity.[/QUOTE]
Of course it is. Just like Barbie Horse Adventures is hot on the street right now too.:D;)

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']you guys will love this http://www.gameblurb.net/more/game-humor/gamestop-is-selling-used-pizzas-now-what/
usedpizza.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Should have had teeth/bite marks to show the poor condition. LOL

Never heard of Xia-Xia until today. I really hope my local Gamestop doesn't start throwing away cases/manuals for new games.

Now if they want to make generic display cases, like the ones in the original post and keep the new games sealed that would be nice! I know that would be a waste of time.

They're throwing away PSP cases now?! I know mine threw away used DS game cases/manuals.

Guess I should try to find some complete used PSP games before they're all gone like the used DS games.

It's a joke. It would take no effort or money to photocopy the cover art from the new games and place it inside the generic cases GS already has and put those out on display.

That is what TRU did for years after departing from the ticket system.

There is no need to gut new games and put them out on display. You can't even defend that stupidity. Gamestop serves a purpose and I go there on ocassion for preorder bonuses or exclusive items but I will NEVER support the practice of selling opened games as new... and the best way to do that is never buy a "new" game that has already been opened.

They have tried to sell me opened games numerous times and I just tell them I want a "sealed" new game. If they have it I buy it if not I walk.

But to defend gamestop by saying gutting new games for display purposes is the only logical solution they have is stupid.

[quote name='Carbonite']Imagine the swaps you could make with all the doubles.

I too fantasized about those sprees. My god, nobody ever did what I would have done. lol[/QUOTE]

That was my dream as an eight year old too. I had actually mapped out a plan of attack at my local TRU. I would get pissed when they showed the videos of the kids who won running from the back of the store to the front of the store pushing a single bike each time instead of just horking expensive crap into their carts for 5 minutes. There was a rule in place that you could only have 3 of any given item though. Might put a crimp in your dastardly flipping plan.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']you guys will love this http://www.gameblurb.net/more/game-humor/gamestop-is-selling-used-pizzas-now-what/
usedpizza.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I wish I was in the store this happened in. Also, if you look at the label, they printed out a price sticker for Pizza Delivery Boy for Wii (an average Crazy Taxi rip-off). It'd be pretty funny if by some chance somebody used site-to-store to find that game and then found this when they got there.

I used to work at a local gamestop and we never opened new cases 0_o the generic cases on the shelves were just used as stand-ins and the sealed ones were kept in a locked drawer behind the counter. and you'd be surprised at how many stupid people steal empty cases without looking to see if a game is in there.

[quote name='GBAstar']It would take no effort or money to photocopy the cover art from the new games and place it inside the generic cases GS already has and put those out on display.[/QUOTE]

Color copiers and associated supplies are free? Do they have a license to duplicate the copyrighted material?

[quote name='GBAstar']It's a joke. It would take no effort or money to photocopy the cover art from the new games and place it inside the generic cases GS already has and put those out on display.

That is what TRU did for years after departing from the ticket system.

There is no need to gut new games and put them out on display. You can't even defend that stupidity. Gamestop serves a purpose and I go there on ocassion for preorder bonuses or exclusive items but I will NEVER support the practice of selling opened games as new... and the best way to do that is never buy a "new" game that has already been opened.

They have tried to sell me opened games numerous times and I just tell them I want a "sealed" new game. If they have it I buy it if not I walk.

But to defend gamestop by saying gutting new games for display purposes is the only logical solution they have is stupid.[/QUOTE]
Actually I believe that TRU used to get those printed coverarts from the publishers. I don't know if they supplied their own cases or not for displaying them.

They keep all their games behind the counter.Not the dlc or online passes though.Sometimes you can find online passes or code inside the empty cases.And that's Dominos cheese pizza in that picture.

bread's done
Back