CAGcast #298: Code Crackers

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 slickjones

slickjones

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Shipwreck: if you're using wi-fi, airport wi-fi, then of course your download is gonna be slow. Why not just hook up a cable instead?

And keep in mind that when you're playing a game on the PS3 that has online functions/modes, the PS3 pauses your download (it'll say 'pending' instead of downloading). That might be what's making your downloads even slower. Try playing a game that doesn't have online when you're downloading a game.

P.S. I'd like to win a code for Half-Minute Hero. To Cheapy/anyone who watched Drive, did you notice there's an achievement in the game called 'A Real Hero and a Real Human Being' ?

#32 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Great show. The comments about the slow downloads on PS3 reminded me that I've been downloading Tokyo Jungle on-and-off for three days now. Maybe I'll actually get to play it next week...

How big is that game? I downloaded and installed the FIFA 13 demo using wifi from PSN on Saturday in 10 minutes and it was 1.5 GB.

I don't like using the Wiimote as a controller, either. Even for something like RE 4 where it made the shooting more accurate, my overall performance suffered compared to being able to hold a nice, proper control pad with both hands. So I won't be buying any Wii U games that force you to use the Wiimote to play single player. Not sure how many of those there though, outside of Pikmin 3.

Comments:

- I'm surprised that Cheapy prefers mouse & keyboard to gamepad. Is that just a Borderlands thing? I can see the speed/efficiency advantages, but Cheapy never struck me as that type of gamer. I find a controller way more comfortable and only use M&K for macro & click-centric games (RTS, Blizzard stuff, etc.)

I think Cheapy was a big Tribes player back in the day, so he has a history of playing PC shooters with mouse & kb.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#33 sneakydohboy

sneakydohboy

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

1. I enjoy the dynamic of this show a lot. And I dont know what people are saying about wombat... he is a joy.

2. I know this is said often, but I honestly feel most people take a huge dump on ps3 often. I dont know why. I love my ps3 and I much prefer it. I love not paying for basic service. I have PSN Plus and it makes it even better. I understand the download speeds are not as good as xbox, but I never have had to wait 9 hours for anything to download. Oh well, too each their own.

3. I am with Shipwreck on this one. I think they are going to hold off for a little while. May not be a full year, but a little time to see what Xbox brings to the table. It may put them behind the curve, but they can create a potentially better system or see what steps they need to do to destroy xbox this time around.

#34 sneakydohboy

sneakydohboy

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Oh yeah... cabin in the woods was dope. I loved that movie. I love Watch this bitches, but I hate rotten tomatoes.

#35 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Good show guys, as usual. My comment is for Cheapy, but it's regarding your interview/game session with Esteban. It seemed like you were a little nervous/weird in your gameplay/interview with him, it came off a little awkward, did he fart?
Anyways, be more relaxed next time!

And yes I am interested in the Half minute hero code plz!
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#36 mr.ratburn

mr.ratburn

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Great show once again.

Would the Wii U be more of a draw if NBA Baller Beats 2 was an exclusive and featured Mario? Might come with another basketball you had to put the Wiimote in for the dribble detection.

Liked Half Minute Hero on the PSP, would be nice to get a Steam code.

I think the whole basketball thing is too much already, putting a Wiimote inside a basketball and having a dancing Mario? Too much WTF for a human to handle IMO.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your NHL 13 issues Cheapy, although I don't really care for sports games, I know you're a die hard hockey fan and having region issues for multiplayer just blows. Playing sports games (or any multiplayer-heavy game for that matter) only in single player is just depressing...

Anyway if you're giving away Half Minute Hero steam codes, or any other codes for that matter, I would be thrilled. I too was a fan of the PSP original. The game made fun of every single JRPG cliche there is (eg "Oh look at me, I'm the villain of this story. I"m a male with long girly hair and everything I say is melodramatic. DOT DOT DOT....").

#37 kvadair

kvadair

Still Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

It has been a welcome change to the podcast to have Cheapy and Shipwreck talking about their PC gaming experiences. As a lifelong PC gamer it is great to see that Cheapy and Shipwreck not only bought gaming computers, but also have discovered why so many of us are passionate about the platform. My one question is looking back on all of the episodes where you told listeners to 'pretend we live in a world where computer games don't exist' do you regret taking that stance, and are there any games you missed on the PC that you are trying to play now?

And yes, a code for half minute hero would be welcome.
Getting it free from: PrizeRebel
Spoiler
Bing Rewards
Spoiler

Need to sync files on multiple computers? Try Dropbox.

Posted Image

#38 Jasper Kazai

Jasper Kazai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Love the BL2 talk. I play on PC, but I have to play on low, so I don't get the graphical experience. But I don't care, I still enjoy it immensely. (And I'm used to playing PC games on low, since I've always been a PC gamer with a low-end PC.)
Personally, I wouldn't want to play BL2 if I wasn't playing with my friends. But that's the difference - I'm playing with friends. We purposely go slow so we don't miss any story, chests, loot, etc. And we give each other time to compare items for upgrades and stuff. Pretty much, we make sure that everything you listed as negative doesn't occur. But, yeah, I wouldn't want to play with randoms, but I also wouldn't want to play alone.
I'm playing as Zer0, but I didn't want to go melee. I personally went the middle tree, which just gives him buffs in general. I was planning on going full sniper, but I figured that the middle tree still allows me to snipe a lot but buffs other things, too. I'm surprised that Ship has only tried out the melee. I like the melee, but I don't want to solely rely on it.
Singularity grenades sound awesome. We haven't encountered them yet, since as I said, we're going slow. Can't wait.

I'd like a chance at the Half-Minute Hero codes, please.

#39 keigetsu

keigetsu

Doesn't Like Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

I laughed a little when Shipwreck suggested a new ME3 ending to help sell the trilogy. It'd work :) I loved the positive WiiU discussion, completely opposite from the majority of what I've been seeing/hearing from people. In the same train of thought, and for my constructive commenting, I haven't listened to a whole lot of CAGcasts but the ones I've heard are all pretty light and positive. It's nice to hear gaming discussion that doesn't focus on every negative aspect of every game ever made.

I'd like a chance at Half-Minute Hero if that's still going on.
Cheapy you should do more livestreams, the last portion of your show with Esteban was hilarious.

#40 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

I was not in agreement with Shipwreck about the WiiU coming with 1 gamepad controller until he made his point more clear. Yes, a lot of us are done with wiimotes and that dumb nun-chuck. But that's what made Nintendo their money and they don't want to phase that gameplay out yet. I had to use my Gamecube controller for Smash Bros. Donkey Kong Country with sideways wiimote sucked, why wasn't Classic Controller Pro compatible? And Zelda with nun-chuck was torture as I'm left handed.

In short, the WiiU should come with gamepad + classic xbox ripoff controller too then. Who wants to play Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, etc with a clunky oversized ipad controller? Means playing 3rd party games will have to pay extra for a better controller, not just over priced games that came out a year ago on cheaper consoles.

Money in Borderlands 2 works on slots sure, I've spent about $70,000 on them so far. But they really nerfed the vending machings, that used to be a good use for money. A lot of dialogue can be missed in the heat of fire fights, so I'm glad I have a solo character farther along than my separate co-op character so I don't miss anything.

Wombat, get well soon. A full week+ of sick sucks.

Cheapy, since you are using Mouse+Keyboard for BL2, I assume you gave up playing PC games on your TV now? I find sitting at a desk not fun for gaming sessions.

Would like a Steam code for Half Minute Hero if possible, thanks!

#41 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Really nice podcast, as usual! Nice to hear someone else uses KBM for BL2 as well. I can aim so much better with a mouse :)
I'd love a half-minute hero code if they're still available, thanks!

#42 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

CheapyD sounds sexy as always, I love these CAGcasts! CheapyD for president.

P.S. I'd love to have a half minute hero code :)

#43 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:27 AM

Seems like everyone got sick around the time Borderlands came out. I sure did. Funny how staying up way too late for too many days in a row can do that to you.

I had the same problems playing co-op BL 1 as you're having now. I got in late with a pal who was already pretty far into the game so he just ran through the early missions. So far, I've lucked out playing with good friends who are willing to take time, explore, and discuss. Makes all the difference.

Also, put me in for a Half Minute Hero code. That game looks cool.

#44 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:36 AM

Not to get all "leave Wombat alone!" here but seriously, how is it that we're on episode #298 and people are still complaining about Wombat? If he weren't on the CAGcast, each episode would just devolve into discussions about obscure documentaries and Baller Beats. Shipwreck would have a new segment each week called "Eat This Bitches" where he discusses some weird food that Cincinnatians enjoy. I'm not sure I want to live in that world and neither do any of you. Think about it.

I completely get the aversion to the Wiimotes but look at it from a parent's standpoint. You've plunged hundreds into your child's Wii system--buying everything from games to extra remotes to a plastic balance board--and now your child wants a brand new system. That purchase looks a heck of a lot nicer if you find out that all those extra Wiimotes you bought aren't just going into the trash.
Posted Image

#45 buttle

buttle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

You guys are like a bunch of grade schoolers arguing the Genesis vs the Super Nintendo. And for a person who likes playing both Nintendo games and non-Nintendo games, you're making it difficult to enjoy the show.

Every console and every game is flawed in some way. But we look past it when it's something we like. I get why you're unhappy with Nintendo, but I don't get the fuss. It's like someone complaining about Baller Beats because you have to bounce a basketball and use kinect and follow the beat. Nintendo is what it is.

And for the Wiimotes, Nintendo is putting out that pro controller so you can just use that. You won't have to use a Wiimote at all.
mario kart wii 5069-4324-7830 (jeffrie)
animal crossing: city folk 4983-8436-5006 (buttle), (tomato) town

#46 mr.ratburn

mr.ratburn

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

Every console and every game is flawed in some way. But we look past it when it's something we like. I get why you're unhappy with Nintendo, but I don't get the fuss. It's like someone complaining about Baller Beats because you have to bounce a basketball and use kinect and follow the beat. Nintendo is what it is.

And for the Wiimotes, Nintendo is putting out that pro controller so you can just use that. You won't have to use a Wiimote at all.

I kind of agree with what you're saying. It does bother me a little that the trio is blatantly dismissing the Wii U and criticizing everything about it, though they have certain points. However, I'm actually the one person who really likes the Wiimote. I feel like playing Zelda/Mario with wiimote + nunchuk is enjoyable, while 2D games with the Wiimote sideways is UNMATCHED.

For the record, I also think the Xbox 360 is the best controller by far. Using the Wiimote is not necessarily more enjoyable than a traditional controller, but I don't complain about it at all and it's certainly not a valid reason to refuse playing those games. However, I do have to agree that the Wii had a design inconvenience that unfortunately is going to be even worse on the Wii U, and that is:

THERE ARE TOO MANY CONTROL METHODS! NO STANDARDIZATION

Let's see, we have:
Wiimote
Wiimote sideways
Wiimote + Nunchuk
Wiimote + Classic Controller
Gamecube Controller (on older Wiis)
Wiimote Plus
Wiimote Plus + Nunchuk

And now also:
Wii U Gamepad
Wii U Pro Controller

I'm not even counting the Wii Balance Board, or the 1000's of useless plastic attachments (wii zapper *cough cough*)

While the Wii/Wii U consoles may be small in size, that extra space will be taken up by the ridiculous amount of plastic controllers you need to have access to every game. As the CAG crew pointed out, if you want to play your Xbox, you only need the Xbox controller and you are set to go.

In the end, it would have been much worse, I think, if Nintendo did not support the old Wii controllers. There would be much more criticism. So they made the logical choice, however it doesn't make this situation any less annoying.

#47 kupomogli

kupomogli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

Cheapy. You're always slamming on the PS3 download times, but then you're throwing out some ridiculous time frames on how long it takes to download something. The PS3 does download slower than the 360, seems around 3/4 the speed, but are you running 1Mb/s download or something, because the times you mention seem a really long time?

The last large title I remember downloading was Ratchet and Clank All 4 One at 14GB, which was one of the offered games on PS+(and also sucks balls btw,) but I think it finished downloading in four hours on a fat PS3. It's quite a large file so it seems like a reasonable time. My download speed is 20Mb/s.

The wireless sucks though. Shipwreck should do whatever possible to get the PS3 wired. I rearranged where everything was located so I could get my router closer to my PS3 just so I could run wired because of how bad the wireless is.

As for Half Minute Hero, I'd like to get a copy.

#48 buttle

buttle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

THERE ARE TOO MANY CONTROL METHODS! NO STANDARDIZATION

Yea, I'm kind of hoping that the Wiimote does fade away, just for the sake of having a standard. Unless a game is made specifically for it like boom blox or something.

Though I would love it if Nintendo came out with a perfect 2d platformer controller. With just the basic SNES buttons but a more confortable shape.
mario kart wii 5069-4324-7830 (jeffrie)
animal crossing: city folk 4983-8436-5006 (buttle), (tomato) town

#49 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

The wireless sucks though. Shipwreck should do whatever possible to get the PS3 wired. I rearranged where everything was located so I could get my router closer to my PS3 just so I could run wired because of how bad the wireless is.

The wifi performance seems good on my PS3 slim, so maybe they improved the antenna from the one in the original PS3.

Cheapy should probably get RE 6 when it comes out on the PC sometime next year with much improved graphics running at 60 fps. As you guys seemed to realize, Arthur Gies is full of shit. He hypes himself up as being a harsh reviewer, and then hands out 9s to unremarkable games like Transfomers War For Cybertron. Every review he produces seems to be the result of a predetermined agenda.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#50 aa.jetta

aa.jetta

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Great show. Loving you guys even more that Cheapy and Ship have hopped on the PC bandwagon. The 360 controller vs KBM discussion caught my ear. I've always been a PC gamer, but there are some games that I do use a controller for, so I can sympathize with Ship. Borderlands 2 is actually one of them. For some reason, I absolutely hate the aim down sight mechanic when it comes to keyboard/mouse (probably because old school PC shooters did not have this at all, and I've only been exposed to it with console shooters). Some games it is nice to just sit back with a controller in hand and go to town.

Checked out the Half Minute Hero vids and it definitely looks fun. Would love a chance to try it out if I'm one of the lucky few.

#51 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Cheapy get your son a otterbox or something along those lines for the next IPhone you give him. That way he doesn't break this one.

Have to agree with the Wii complaints. Though I think third party support (IE all games coming out on EVERY system, not just 360 and PS3) and online hurt them the most for me. They are addressing the online issues or so it seems. Third party is wait and see because while they have a big launch lineup if sales suck some third parties might bow out but I think they'll do fine.

Agree with Zer0. Very tough pre-level 31 and he seems to be the most difficult to use. However I am not using him as a sniper and more of a SMG/then run at you and melee for the finish character. In general the game seems much harder then BL1 for the first few levels. But I also play alone most of the time. Zero so far is my favorite of the new characters, runner up being Maya and then the Zerker. Axton is Roland so basically the easiest to run with. I have a feeling the Zerker is probably the most used character based on friend list activity, almost no one uses Axton on my list.

#52 Jasper Kazai

Jasper Kazai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

I completely get the aversion to the Wiimotes but look at it from a parent's standpoint. You've plunged hundreds into your child's Wii system--buying everything from games to extra remotes to a plastic balance board--and now your child wants a brand new system. That purchase looks a heck of a lot nicer if you find out that all those extra Wiimotes you bought aren't just going into the trash.

But that's been the way the video games industry has operated forever. The NES didn't meld into the SNES. The SNES didn't meld into the N64. And so on and so forth. Why does it need to change today? Especially when the parents are starting to become people who may have once played video games themselves. They'd understand.
I'm not saying I want everything to automatically become obsolete, but in the case of the Wiimote, I'm all for it.

#53 killthemall4444

killthemall4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Loved Shipwreck's rant against the wiimote. I'm not a big Nintendo guy but what really prevented me from ever giving the wii much of a chance is the wiimote. It's just an awful controller and I couldn't enjoy playing anything with it.

Also wouldn't mind being in the drawing for a last minute hero code.

#54 Martix_agent

Martix_agent

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Loved Shipwreck's rant against the wiimote. I'm not a big Nintendo guy but what really prevented me from ever giving the wii much of a chance is the wiimote. It's just an awful controller and I couldn't enjoy playing anything with it.

Also wouldn't mind being in the drawing for a last minute hero code.

I absolutely agree, and am glad to hear i'm not in the minority. nintendo had something revolutionary, but it was only good in select games. they failed to capitalize on that fact, and expected everyone to to be happy with a sub-par controller in every other game :(

Also, I'l like a half-minute hero code is possible!

#55 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Yea, I'm kind of hoping that the Wiimote does fade away, just for the sake of having a standard. Unless a game is made specifically for it like boom blox or something.

Though I would love it if Nintendo came out with a perfect 2d platformer controller. With just the basic SNES buttons but a more confortable shape.

They did:
Spoiler

It's just too bad they forced movement controls on every game, like shake the wiimote to make Donkey Kong roll or ground pound...wtf, it's called a button press, I'd rather do that. Or shield block in Zelda means you have to shake the nun-chuck, ugg.

Thanks for the show notes Bickle!

The CAGcast crew slightly mentioned about how so many games just came out, or are coming out. I'd like to say, where was all this activity for Spring/Summer? Was such a dull time for games. I get why they release near end of year, but it's getting overflow. The average gamer is not going to buy all these games at release at once, who has that much gaming time? So imo they are missing out on release price sales.

#56 actripxl

actripxl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

Love the guys.

First I ended up buying an Apple Tv since Cheapy is always talking about it, FREAKING AWESOME!

I"m a PS3 guy myself so I'm glad Cheapy is off MS's nuts (x360) and playing on the PC, I pretty much won't buy a game for my Windows partition if I can't use a controller over a K/M.

People complaining about Wombat is nothing new, personally he's oversensitive and to PC(politically correct) but I honestly feel the show is awesome because of his presence.

51446.png

Can't wait for the next Uncharted and Halo on my next-gen systems!

#57 TickleZombie89

TickleZombie89

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

I figured you'd like to know Cheapy, that Tokyo Jungle is extremely repetitive and frustrating - I couldn't agree more with the excerpts from that review you mentioned - I was initially captivated but the difficulty is extremely high and the game takes a lot of cheap shot, especially for the household pets such as the initial Pomeranian dog you have to use. I would like to add that the the general style and art direction is really impressive although rough around the edges but the level design is sub-par in many different ways(read: confusing as hell). Thanks again, you guys, for the excellent show!!!:applause:
... I'd also like to know if I could be entered in the drawing for 'Half-Minute Hero'!

Edited by TickleZombie89, 30 September 2012 - 12:35 AM.
*forgot to add request for contest*

#58 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

Resident Evil 6 seems solid but I don't think I'm going to buy it either, I can wait until it goes down in price. Resident Evil used to be a series that I would buy the games on day one, but since 4 I just wait until the inevitable price drop.

I would like the Half-Minute Hero code.

#59 mza49311

mza49311

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Great podcast as usual, always enjoy listening to you guys. It was mentioned before in this thread, but there has certainly been a lot of Cheapy talking up the pc versions of games lately, makes me a bit jealous, even caught myself looking into upgrading my pc, then I was like wait, this is why I prefer console, don't have to worry about upgrading to get the latest and greatest, besides I'd have to buy my wife a new laptop before I could upgrade my pc, and of course a new tablet is on her priority list (will it ever end?!)

#60 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

How big is that game? I downloaded and installed the FIFA 13 demo using wifi from PSN on Saturday in 10 minutes and it was 1.5 GB.

Tokyo Jungle File Size: 2.4 GB

One Piece took me about 4hours to download and install. It has no English Dub but has English subtitles.

A fun game to purchase :bouncy:

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif           Shares 4 Sale

rpg49ers.png 1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif