Fox News accidentally broadcasts suicide live on air

pitfallharry219

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkGphC5hxuM&bpctr=1348935429

During the afternoon broadcast, Fox News was covering a low-speed chase in Phoenix, Ariz., and cut to live footage of the suspect getting out of his vehicle and running erratically through a field. The cameras continued rolling, giving viewers a clear aerial view of the man eventually stopping, pulling a gun from his pocket, appearing to shoot himself in the head and falling over.

As soon as the man appears to reach for the gun, Smith can be heard repeating insistently, "Get off it, get off it, get off it!" but the producers didn't cut in time — only switching back to Smith after the man was on the ground.

After a brief break, Smith explained to viewers that the production team had anticipated that something might go awry and had tried to prevent the footage from being broadcast.

"We created a five-second delay as if you were to bleep back your DVR five seconds ... so that we would see in the studio five seconds before you did," Smith explained. "So that if anything went horribly wrong, we'd be able to cut away from it without subjecting you to it. And we really messed up. And we're all very sorry. That didn't belong on TV. We took every precaution we knew how to take to keep that from being on TV, and I personally apologize to you that that happened."

5-second delay fail. I guess human error but damn you would expect somebody on the button especially when you're broadcasting something as unpredictable as a car chase.

Awful that they fucked that up. Props to the anchor for apologizing for it profusely when it was someone else's fuck up though.

this is somewhat of a personal question, as in one that you have to ask yourself, but did anyone feel anything from watching that?

i certainly didn't feel any different about that than whatever other bullshit is usually on the news. is it really so bad that they showed it?

[quote name='crystalklear64']this is somewhat of a personal question, as in one that you have to ask yourself, but did anyone feel anything from watching that?

i certainly didn't feel any different about that than whatever other bullshit is usually on the news. is it really so bad that they showed it?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's not anywhere near as graphic as they make it sound.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I can't believe how easy it was for that guy to pull the trigger. Why was he running in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Probably been in prison before and there was no way he was going back.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Probably been in prison before and there was no way he was going back.[/QUOTE]
Well thank god he saved tax payers some money.

Loaded Weapon comes to mind at times like this: "This loser has taken the chicken shit way out and punched his own ticket."

They used to sell videos of this stuff.

Can't blame the news, these days we have this media overload deal going on. Every piece of information live 24/7.

Good thing he didn't do it in the car.

As someone who lives in Southern California I always find it funny that when they show these chases when a police officer kills someone and its shown he is a hero. Yet when a person decided to kill himself or they start shooting back at the cops they local media will pull back and make and often not show anything. Its all to common down here.

Also the local Fox station here in So Cal has got in trouble from the FCC 2 times for cutting into children programing for a high speed chase and in one case the man at the end of the chase lit himself on fire on one of the major freeways.

[quote name='crystalklear64']this is somewhat of a personal question, as in one that you have to ask yourself, but did anyone feel anything from watching that?

i certainly didn't feel any different about that than whatever other bullshit is usually on the news. is it really so bad that they showed it?[/QUOTE]

No.

If you watch foreign news, they show everything. They will show what happens when a bomb goes off in the middle east and people stagger away bloody, they will show bodies and body bags. It injects reality into the stuff that goes on around the globe (including the wars that the US started)

Fox News doesn't want reality, they want exciting car chases like in the movies without the graphic real life consequences. fuck them and fuck anyone who enjoyed the thrill of the car chase but was offended because Fox accidentally showed the ending. What do people expect?

Wow. That's up there with the MSNBC editing the photo of the guy with the AK in Arizona. as far as stupid news goes.

And Holy crap, the people that do Fox News Feed/caption "typers" have made some hilarious typos. Even my local Fox channel is bad at it. I watched a story a few days ago that had the caption "killed femal dog owner offers reward" for a good 5 minutes.

I bet they get a nice penalty from the FCC

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']The LA freeway suicide from '98 made that look like a children's show...if anyone remembers that[/QUOTE]

Or the 03' integration suicide.

Suicide is a possibility when they cover these chases. They want to show it for sensationalism and entertainment, yet want to cut away when they get real. Either show the events in their entirety or don't show them at all. It's complete fucking bullshit when they apologize for showing this stuff. During the LA Riots, some of the internal news jargon got on the air like "We got some good fires starting over here." They love this stuff. Anyone who falls for it is naive.

[quote name='Spokker']Suicide is a possibility when they cover these chases. They want to show it for sensationalism and entertainment, yet want to cut away when they get real. Either show the events in their entirety or don't show them at all. It's complete fucking bullshit when they apologize for showing this stuff. During the LA Riots, some of the internal news jargon got on the air like "We got some good fires starting over here." They love this stuff. Anyone who falls for it is naive.[/QUOTE]

I agree and that's what I meant earlier when I said "if you play with fire". If the news channels want to broadcast events like this live as "news" in an attempt to whore out ratings then they need to undestanding the endings aren't always going to be pretty.

[quote name='Nogib']Loaded Weapon comes to mind at times like this: "This loser has taken the chicken shit way out and punched his own ticket."[/QUOTE]

ahahahahahha

There's nothing like catching a live local car chase. Reminds me of a car chase we aired a few weeks back. Speeding on the interstate to a residential area, and finally a couple guys bailing. Police were right on them. One guy jumped over a fence ran into some brush but the police fired on him. I'm pretty sure they hit him. Anyways after 10 minutes of pulling him out the police started cutting off his clothes. They ripped off all his clothes and for a few minutes I guess the camera man didn't notice the guy was nude.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']The LA freeway suicide from '98 made that look like a children's show...if anyone remembers that[/QUOTE]

Is that the one where the guy laid out that flag about HMOs and set fire to his truck? If so yeah I remember that.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Is that the one where the guy laid out that flag about HMOs and set fire to his truck? If so yeah I remember that.[/QUOTE]

That's the one.

Dont know why but this kind of stuff barely fazes me anymore. Just saw the LA freeway suicide as suggested by someone earlier and while it was a lot more graphic than this recent one on Fox News, it's still not as bad as something like Budd Dwyer committing suicide in a live press conference (warning, this one is REALLY bad).

[quote name='TheRock88']Dont know why but this kind of stuff barely fazes me anymore. Just saw the LA freeway suicide as suggested by someone earlier and while it was a lot more graphic than this recent one on Fox News, it's still not as bad as something like Budd Dwyer committing suicide in a live press conference (warning, this one is REALLY bad).[/QUOTE]
Checked that one out too, jeez

[quote name='TheRock88']Dont know why but this kind of stuff barely fazes me anymore. Just saw the LA freeway suicide as suggested by someone earlier and while it was a lot more graphic than this recent one on Fox News, it's still not as bad as something like Budd Dwyer committing suicide in a live press conference (warning, this one is REALLY bad).[/QUOTE]
Ironically, his last words were, when they were trying to get closer and persuade him not to do it were "Don't, don't, don't, this will hurt someone." Yeah, a .357 magnum will do more than hurt

An interesting consequence of that is that the AP told its reporters to start shooting everything in color. Before that, it was mostly black and white and color was reserved for "important" events

[quote name='Access_Denied']I can't believe how easy it was for that guy to pull the trigger. Why was he running in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Seriously.

Yeah... born and raised in L.A, we have seen some crazy shit live on T.V. Most of that as a kid, like some of you mentioned.

I remember after the suicide on the 105 freeway in '98, they stopped showing live chases on TV for a while. But that didn't last long.

Another i'll remember for ever is the "North Hollywood shootout". Looked like a action movie was being filmed. Then one of the robbers pulls the trigger on himself, all on live T.V.

Mannn, we have seen some serious shit. :shock: lol.

OJ will always be tops in my mind. When that was actually happening I remember staring at my TV thinking, are we going to see him kill himself on live TV? I was home from college for the summer and I remember sitting on the couch in my parents' living room and my mother calling me into the kitchen to eat dinner. It's one of those things that's so vivid even to this day - I don't really know why either. I knew OJ was a great football player but I was too young to remember him actually playing. Probably because it was rare to see something like this happen live. I mean, there was barely an internet at this point so the TV and the newspaper was really the only way to get information.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Bath salts.[/QUOTE]
tumblr_m6wdcoAD111qbbs9io1_500.jpg

bread's done
Back