Playstation 3D display bundle- $159 shipped at Sony.com

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
Sony.com has the Playstation 3D bundle for $159 with Free Shipping. This is the same bundle that Best Buy has been clearing out.

Playstation 3D bundle at Sony.com

Bundle includes: 24" PlayStation® Full HD 3D display with stand, PlayStation 3D glasses, MotorStorm Apocalypse game, HDMI® cable, USB cable and AC power cord

They also offer a 2 or 3 year warranty for $30-$40 but it says for "Playstation game systems", whatever that means. Possibly better off with Square Trade warranty.

Be aware these have a well documented history of having power supply issues.

General Specifications

2 HDMI and 1 component HD inputs deliver HD media from your PS3™ system, cable TV box, and PC
Full HD 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080)
Edge LED technology offers brilliant contrast and an ultra-slim design
240 Hz refresh rate for ultra-smooth play
PS398078.png

I have a feeling with the upcoming holidays nearing we'll see this at $99 at some point. I grabbed one at K-mart for $150 but I'd consider another at $99.

Still a damn good deal for a 3D display. Bought one Friday and seem to have one of the good ones. Have the ps3 and DirecTV connected to it. Will be on the lookout for another if they are still around on black friday

If you logged in with your sonyrewards account, would you earn any points for the purchase? How much? Or do you only earn points with the playstation/sony card?

[quote name='Chaozhound']Just grabbed one. Been thinking of buying one and this was a deal breaker.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you know what deal breaker means :p

This will never have the stock to hit $99, but i'm sure the trolls already know that. I could see $129 clearance for retailers that don't really even have any, but $99 would be giving these away when it comes with glasses and a game.

[quote name='SCIENCEEE']If you logged in with your sonyrewards account, would you earn any points for the purchase? How much? Or do you only earn points with the playstation/sony card?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you get 15,999 Sony Rewards Points with the purchase of one bundle.

A friend of mine told me that his friend works at Playstation HQ and says that Sony has a large stockpile of those displays. Most likely it will get cheaper in the future.

I'd like to believe this will hit $99 at some point, but realistically I doubt it. Got one for my gf for $149, but would gladly take one for myself at $129-99. But honestly, think about what this thing is at its basic level. A 24" monitor. Look at what 24" monitors go for. Any cheaper and people will be grabbing them before it'll have the chance to hit $99.

I've had one go down but my replacement is going strong. Beautiful picture, and I'm even happier now that I know that most any Sony-brand remote control will work on it to power up, down, adjust volume, settings, and change input selects!

I've sent my display in twice already for repair/replacement. I need to send it back again due to yet another malfunction. I would stay away from this and buy a different display if you are looking for 3D.

There are 65 pages worth of posts in just this one thread (http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/General-Support/PS3-3D-Display-Occasional-Black-Screen/td-p/36454018)regarding the black screen issue (which is now happening for the second time) and one other time my display simply wouldn't turn on.

Just my two cents though.

These things keep getting cheaper and cheaper. I'm happy with mine! Hope the reported problems don't crop up but so far so good. Great looking 3D display IMHO!

[quote name='Kolgar']I've had one go down but my replacement is going strong. Beautiful picture, and I'm even happier now that I know that most any Sony-brand remote control will work on it to power up, down, adjust volume, settings, and change input selects![/QUOTE]

Hah, this drives me nuts! I have it as a computer monitor in my "man cave" along with my old 32" Sony 4:3 HDTV and it's a constant source of annoyance...

[quote name='marineal']So whats the word on the quality of this model?[/QUOTE]

That's a joke right? The guy above you just said what the quality of this model is.

[quote name='marineal']So whats the word on the quality of this model?[/QUOTE]

The bird's the word.

[quote name='nsxviper']A friend of mine told me that his friend works at Playstation HQ and says that Sony has a large stockpile of those displays. Most likely it will get cheaper in the future.[/QUOTE]

How do you know this $159 sale didn't just eat up that whole stockpile?

And I'm wondering if the problem is only happening on those who keep the back light at 10. Someone mentioned that in the big sony thread and I realized my non-acting up display is also usually at ~6 back light. The variation in brightness and color in these sets is so big that maybe for some the amount of power coming through at 10 is more than the rest of the display was designed for.

[quote name='scottman']How do you know this $159 sale didn't just eat up that whole stockpile?

And I'm wondering if the problem is only happening on those who keep the back light at 10. Someone mentioned that in the big sony thread and I realized my non-acting up display is also usually at ~6 back light. The variation in brightness and color in these sets is so big that maybe for some the amount of power coming through at 10 is more than the rest of the display was designed for.[/QUOTE]
Backlight: 5
Picture Mode: Standard
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 90
Color: 50
Hue: +6
Sharpness: 1
Color Temp: Warm
^Those are my settings and I have no issues with my display like blackouts. Owned it for 3 weeks so far.

[quote name='htz']Backlight: 5
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Hue: +6
Sharpness: 1
^Those are my settings and I have no issues with my display like blackouts. Owned it for 3 weeks so far.[/QUOTE]

Mine is the same except:

Picture Mode: Cinema
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Normal

No problems here either, I've only had it about 2 weeks.

Backlight: 10
Brightness: 51
Color: 48
Hue: +7
Sharpness: 2

I have been running the monitor with the back light at 10 since picking it up Friday and have about 37 hours on it now. No problems so far.

I'm really digging this thing and no problems so far.

Shadow of the Colossus is godly despite the last gen textures. Holding onto a moving giant or even just riding your horse looks awesome, especially when a bird comes flying over Wander's head.

Does anyone know a way to check the actual charge level of the glasses, rather than going by the blinking light when it gets low? That seems to be a horribly inconvenient way to track charge level if you want to watch a movie...

Edit: oops, sorry for double post.

[quote name='Nephilim']Yes, you get 15,999 Sony Rewards Points with the purchase of one bundle.[/QUOTE]
Holy C%#p 15,999 bonus points would get you $160 in PSN cards. It's basically free if you'd actually spend that much on PSN anyway.

Pretty sure that points value is incorrect. No way they'd do that. On a related note:

Got one today b&m. They price matched kmart at 149.99 no problem, and got the 4 year warranty for 25. Traded in some games under the 100% bonus credit to use for the display. One of the games I traded in was Devil May Cry 4. Didn't notice until she finished that she had put it in as the HD Collection! Extra $14 credit for me! OTD was 135.98.

[quote name='scottman']How do you know this $159 sale didn't just eat up that whole stockpile?

And I'm wondering if the problem is only happening on those who keep the back light at 10. Someone mentioned that in the big sony thread and I realized my non-acting up display is also usually at ~6 back light. The variation in brightness and color in these sets is so big that maybe for some the amount of power coming through at 10 is more than the rest of the display was designed for.[/QUOTE]

If keeping the back light at 10 was the cause of the problem, then that just proves that these are junk. Why make a product that goes to 10 if it truly can't go to 10? I'll just buy one that goes to 11. :D

For you guys that have this package, I have a question. On the 3D glasses, is the red light supposed to blink all the time? I have fully charged the glasses twice now, and that red light just blinks away when they are on. They seem to work fine, but I'm just curious if this is normal and not a sign of maybe a bad battery.

[quote name='Duetschbag']If keeping the back light at 10 was the cause of the problem, then that just proves that these are junk. Why make a product that goes to 10 if it truly can't go to 10? I'll just buy one that goes to 11. :D[/QUOTE]

You are right. These are junk and that is why they are 150 bucks. If I can get one at 99 bucks I'm in, though, regardless. Motorstorm looks great on it also. Good luck finding a 24 inch 3d monitor that "goes to 11" for less than 200 bucks new. :lol:

[quote name='krashhole']For you guys that have this package, I have a question. On the 3D glasses, is the red light supposed to blink all the time? I have fully charged the glasses twice now, and that red light just blinks away when they are on. They seem to work fine, but I'm just curious if this is normal and not a sign of maybe a bad battery.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think that's normal.

[quote name='krashhole']For you guys that have this package, I have a question. On the 3D glasses, is the red light supposed to blink all the time? I have fully charged the glasses twice now, and that red light just blinks away when they are on. They seem to work fine, but I'm just curious if this is normal and not a sign of maybe a bad battery.[/QUOTE]

The glasses came with a manual, read it. It blinks at different internals for different reasons

I think that's normal, I always keep mine off when not in use and don't really pay attention to the lights when I use it except to make sure it comes on initially.

Thanks guys. Just to clear things up with mrshadow, I read the piece of paper the day we got the display.

Flashes: 3D mode
Flashes quickly: low battery

Not really clear when you don't know if the light blinking on and off every second is considered 3D mode, or low battery. Or does flashes quickly look like a strobe light?

This was why I asked.

They have these for the same price at my local Sony Style store. Still a bit too much for me. Like everyone else I'm gonna hold out and hope for $99. Tons at the Sony store and Best Buys in the area.

Just to let you, these more than likely will break on you, but you can get a new one with the warranty but the one they send you will more than likely break as well and the cycle will continue every 5-7 months or less until your warranty is over, than your gonna be screwed out of your cash and wish you never got this in the first place. I speak from experience

my kmart had these for $100. I missed out on that though. An employee told me about it when i was buying the $20 3D glasses. he said they sold out quick (probably to him and other employees)

[quote name='krashhole']Thanks guys. Just to clear things up with mrshadow, I read the piece of paper the day we got the display.

Flashes: 3D mode
Flashes quickly: low battery

Not really clear when you don't know if the light blinking on and off every second is considered 3D mode, or low battery. Or does flashes quickly look like a strobe light?

This was why I asked.[/QUOTE]

What your seeing is 3d mode yes. Dead battery could be described as strobe light and then stay on light is simulview. (i think) that's why i said to read it because I'm not 100% sure and the manual describes it better. I want trying to come off as a Dick, sorry

[quote name='Duetschbag']I've sent my display in twice already for repair/replacement. I need to send it back again due to yet another malfunction. I would stay away from this and buy a different display if you are looking for 3D.

There are 65 pages worth of posts in just this one thread (http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/General-Support/PS3-3D-Display-Occasional-Black-Screen/td-p/36454018)regarding the black screen issue (which is now happening for the second time) and one other time my display simply wouldn't turn on.

Just my two cents though.[/QUOTE]

Guys please don't buy this piece of crap. I had mine break twice already and sony warranty only covers it for a year. It takes about 15 days for u to get the repaired tv back. So its not worth it at all. Please stay away from this display.

So is the price at Best Buy $159 as well? Supposedly my local BB has them in stock when I use the stock finder on the Sony website.

[quote name='shadowkast']What your seeing is 3d mode yes. Dead battery could be described as strobe light and then stay on light is simulview. (i think) that's why i said to read it because I'm not 100% sure and the manual describes it better. I want trying to come off as a Dick, sorry[/QUOTE]It's all good bro. Thanks for the information.

bread's done
Back