Playstation 3D display bundle- $159 shipped at Sony.com

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Nephilim

Nephilim

Sumerland holds me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

Sony.com has the Playstation 3D bundle for $159 with Free Shipping. This is the same bundle that Best Buy has been clearing out.

Playstation 3D bundle at Sony.com

Bundle includes: 24" PlayStation® Full HD 3D display with stand, PlayStation 3D glasses, MotorStorm Apocalypse game, HDMI® cable, USB cable and AC power cord

They also offer a 2 or 3 year warranty for $30-$40 but it says for "Playstation game systems", whatever that means. Possibly better off with Square Trade warranty.

Be aware these have a well documented history of having power supply issues.

General Specifications

2 HDMI and 1 component HD inputs deliver HD media from your PS3™ system, cable TV box, and PC
Full HD 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080)
Edge LED technology offers brilliant contrast and an ultra-slim design
240 Hz refresh rate for ultra-smooth play
Posted Image

#2 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

Still a little too much.

#3 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

I have a feeling with the upcoming holidays nearing we'll see this at $99 at some point. I grabbed one at K-mart for $150 but I'd consider another at $99.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#4 TheEliminator62

TheEliminator62

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Still a damn good deal for a 3D display. Bought one Friday and seem to have one of the good ones. Have the ps3 and DirecTV connected to it. Will be on the lookout for another if they are still around on black friday

#5 Chaozhound

Chaozhound

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

Just grabbed one. Been thinking of buying one and this was a deal breaker.

#6 SCIENCEEE

SCIENCEEE

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

If you logged in with your sonyrewards account, would you earn any points for the purchase? How much? Or do you only earn points with the playstation/sony card?

#7 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

hmmm... there are still a ton of these around my area. ill wait till $99

#8 Nephilim

Nephilim

Sumerland holds me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

If you logged in with your sonyrewards account, would you earn any points for the purchase? How much? Or do you only earn points with the playstation/sony card?

Yes, you get 15,999 Sony Rewards Points with the purchase of one bundle.

#9 nsxviper

nsxviper

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

A friend of mine told me that his friend works at Playstation HQ and says that Sony has a large stockpile of those displays. Most likely it will get cheaper in the future.

#10 V4Oldboy

V4Oldboy

Vengeance 4 Oldboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'd like to believe this will hit $99 at some point, but realistically I doubt it. Got one for my gf for $149, but would gladly take one for myself at $129-99. But honestly, think about what this thing is at its basic level. A 24" monitor. Look at what 24" monitors go for. Any cheaper and people will be grabbing them before it'll have the chance to hit $99.

"You WROTE it, you can't UN-WRITE it!" - Maurice LaMarche

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#11 FurryCurry

FurryCurry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

It's sold out now.

Buy everything! QUICK!

Posted Image

Forget the old lady! Shop! NOW!

#12 Kolgar

Kolgar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

I've had one go down but my replacement is going strong. Beautiful picture, and I'm even happier now that I know that most any Sony-brand remote control will work on it to power up, down, adjust volume, settings, and change input selects!

#13 Duetschbag

Duetschbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I've sent my display in twice already for repair/replacement. I need to send it back again due to yet another malfunction. I would stay away from this and buy a different display if you are looking for 3D.

There are 65 pages worth of posts in just this one thread (http://community.us....n/td-p/36454018)regarding the black screen issue (which is now happening for the second time) and one other time my display simply wouldn't turn on.

Just my two cents though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 marineal

marineal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

So whats the word on the quality of this model?

#15 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

These things keep getting cheaper and cheaper. I'm happy with mine! Hope the reported problems don't crop up but so far so good. Great looking 3D display IMHO!

#16 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I've had one go down but my replacement is going strong. Beautiful picture, and I'm even happier now that I know that most any Sony-brand remote control will work on it to power up, down, adjust volume, settings, and change input selects!

Hah, this drives me nuts! I have it as a computer monitor in my "man cave" along with my old 32" Sony 4:3 HDTV and it's a constant source of annoyance...

#17 ShirtSizeXXXLXT

ShirtSizeXXXLXT

Fluffernutter 4LIFE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I can't believe how much this thing has dropped in price.

ShirtSizeXXXLXT.jpg

If you have a Gameboy Micro for sale, I would like to buy it from you!

#18 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

So whats the word on the quality of this model?

The bird's the word.

the_it_crowd_moss.jpgdefault.png

#19 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

A friend of mine told me that his friend works at Playstation HQ and says that Sony has a large stockpile of those displays. Most likely it will get cheaper in the future.

How do you know this $159 sale didn't just eat up that whole stockpile?

And I'm wondering if the problem is only happening on those who keep the back light at 10. Someone mentioned that in the big sony thread and I realized my non-acting up display is also usually at ~6 back light. The variation in brightness and color in these sets is so big that maybe for some the amount of power coming through at 10 is more than the rest of the display was designed for.

#20 htz

htz

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

And I'm wondering if the problem is only happening on those who keep the back light at 10. Someone mentioned that in the big sony thread and I realized my non-acting up display is also usually at ~6 back light. The variation in brightness and color in these sets is so big that maybe for some the amount of power coming through at 10 is more than the rest of the display was designed for.

Backlight: 5
Picture Mode: Standard
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 90
Color: 50
Hue: +6
Sharpness: 1
Color Temp: Warm
^Those are my settings and I have no issues with my display like blackouts. Owned it for 3 weeks so far.

#21 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

Backlight: 5
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Hue: +6
Sharpness: 1
^Those are my settings and I have no issues with my display like blackouts. Owned it for 3 weeks so far.

Mine is the same except:

Picture Mode: Cinema
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Normal

No problems here either, I've only had it about 2 weeks.

#22 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Backlight: 10
Brightness: 51
Color: 48
Hue: +7
Sharpness: 2

I have been running the monitor with the back light at 10 since picking it up Friday and have about 37 hours on it now. No problems so far.

#23 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

if it goes to $99.....i'm in

#24 fbTurbine

fbTurbine

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Yes, you get 15,999 Sony Rewards Points with the purchase of one bundle.

Holy C%#p 15,999 bonus points would get you $160 in PSN cards. It's basically free if you'd actually spend that much on PSN anyway.
Posted Image

#25 SCIENCEEE

SCIENCEEE

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

Pretty sure that points value is incorrect. No way they'd do that. On a related note:

Got one today b&m. They price matched kmart at 149.99 no problem, and got the 4 year warranty for 25. Traded in some games under the 100% bonus credit to use for the display. One of the games I traded in was Devil May Cry 4. Didn't notice until she finished that she had put it in as the HD Collection! Extra $14 credit for me! OTD was 135.98.

#26 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

these are a waste of $

#27 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

FYI, I believe a lot of CB websites provide more than 10% on Sony.com

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#28 Duetschbag

Duetschbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

If keeping the back light at 10 was the cause of the problem, then that just proves that these are junk. Why make a product that goes to 10 if it truly can't go to 10? I'll just buy one that goes to 11. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

For you guys that have this package, I have a question. On the 3D glasses, is the red light supposed to blink all the time? I have fully charged the glasses twice now, and that red light just blinks away when they are on. They seem to work fine, but I'm just curious if this is normal and not a sign of maybe a bad battery.

#30 inky1600

inky1600

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

If keeping the back light at 10 was the cause of the problem, then that just proves that these are junk. Why make a product that goes to 10 if it truly can't go to 10? I'll just buy one that goes to 11. :D

You are right. These are junk and that is why they are 150 bucks. If I can get one at 99 bucks I'm in, though, regardless. Motorstorm looks great on it also. Good luck finding a 24 inch 3d monitor that "goes to 11" for less than 200 bucks new. :lol: