[PSN]Buy $100 on PSN in October, Get $20 PSN Credit

saikisen

CAG Veteran
Spend $100 on PSN during the month of October, get $20 back in November in your PSN wallet.

Quote from US PS blog
It’s officially October, and we have a great new promotion for you to get the most out of your PlayStation gaming experience this month. If you spend $100 or more on the PlayStation Store in October, we’ll give you a $20 credit to your wallet to spend in November! This is a store-wide promotion, so anything you purchase using your wallet will count towards the $100 total. One caveat: the credit back is limited to the first $100 you spend.

With great new programs like PSN Day 1 Digital, offering day-and-date digital PS3 games on the same day they hit retail, there are plenty of ways to participate in the “Buy $100, Get $20” promotion. As a reminder, PlayStation Plus members receive an additional 10% discount on a number of titles in the line-up when they pre-order. Additionally, if you’ve already pre-ordered one of the awesome titles in the PSN Day 1 Digital program, the money you’ve spent on those will count toward your $100 for October. Not bad, eh?

Since the promotion includes anything purchased with your wallet on the PlayStation Store, there are many ways to put purchases towards receiving a $20 credit. You can grab a PlayStation Plus 1-year subscription, or sign up for DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket. You can even hop into the video store and catch up on any new releases you may have missed!

With the month of October so packed with scorching-hot game releases, you’ll definitely want to look out for titles like Resident Evil 6, Dishonored, Assassin’s Creed III, The Walking Dead: Episode 4, Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, Street Fighter x Tekken on PS Vita and plenty of others.

Here’s to the start of a great month of gaming on PlayStation Network. Let us know in the comments what you’ll be downloading on PSN in October to count towards a $20 credit. Game on!
Putting down the first $50 for PS+ is definitely the best option and value (your essentially getting 12 months for $40 once you get your voucher). It is possibly the best value you would ever get for playstation plus (considering the fact that your getting $20 next month, I wouldn't consider it cheaper than the RCSS $40 for $50 PSN card promo since they are basically giving you store cred and want you to buy something in November).

Quite honestly, I realize now that the best way to make good usage of this deal is picking up titles that are PSN exclusives (which probably struck everyone's head). The day one digital is a so-so.

So picking up games like One Piece or Tokyo Jungle are good decisions.

Also people, remember there is no rush in getting to the goal today or tomorrow, its spending $100 total throughout the month of october. I'm probably going to subscribe to Plus on the 31st of october (or the 30th) to get the best value there.

To give everyone some good PSN exclusive titles that you could purchase; I've found some lists from last year on a google search:

PixelJunk Shooter 2
Critter Crunch
Super Stardust HD
Flower
Wipeout HD
Shatter
Hoard
PixelJunk Monsters
SlamBolt Scrappers
Gravity Crash
Dead Nation
Joe Danger
Explodemon!
Everyday Shooter
echochrome
PixelJunk Eden
PixelJunk Shooter
Mushroom Wars
Beat Sketcher
Fat Princess
Spelunker HD
Noby Noby Boy
Tales From Space: About A Blob
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest For Booty
Blue Toad Murder Files
Flow
Journey
Infamous: Festival of Blood

Out of that list, the only ones that I own are the pixeljunk games, Thatgamecompany's trilogy, and Festival of Blood, all of which are amazing titles and definitely worth their costs on the PSN store.

But since the possibilities are endless, you can pretty much buy PSone games such as FF VI-VII, or Crash & Spyro or even PS2 classics like Persona 3: FES (May use up my $10 on this), godhand, GTA III.

This could also be a great deal since the day-one digitals program is being promoted by Sony. So you could preorder digital games for $60 each like Dishonored and NBA 2k13 (both titles are 10% off for plus members so $53 for plus members) and get $20 back in November. For plus members you would technically be getting them for $43 on launch day each in the long run.

Compared to trading in games at futureshop (since most people buy qualifiers below $20), you would be getting them at a similar value, except its digital.
Original post from Playstation Blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/01/big-savings-buy-100-on-psn-in-october-get-20-psn-credit/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention if you split some of those full games on PSN with a friend you can get it for half that even.

Not in any way meant to be a bash at the OP, and this may appeal to some, but IMO is another digital scam.

The digital versions of these games are grossly inflated to begin with. Every one of those titles that is available for the day 1 digital promotion was on the Best Buy E3 promo. That amounted to $20 discount, or $39.99. I think they are still available on the RZ 800 point promos, so at worst you are paying $49.99

To offer Plus subs 10% off, was quite frankly, insulting. Even with the addition of this new discount, it is only bringing the digital version in line with retail versions.

But, and this is huge, the digital version is value-less once purchased. Even if you do a 2 for 1 trade at a later date, or just a straight up trade in at EB, that retail version retains some value. At least $10-20 dollars. The digital version is yours forever, so factoring in that, you are overpaying by at least $20 for the digital version, and in many cases, far more. I won't even factor in the overage charges associated with downloading these games, but since most of us are on crappy capped Canadian ISP internet, that could be an addition $10 for the priviledge of downloading the damn thing.

Other than re-upping Plus, there is no way I am dropping that kind of coin on PSN in one month.

/end rant

[quote name='diskdocx']Not in any way meant to be a bash at the OP, and this may appeal to some, but IMO is another digital scam.

The digital versions of these games are grossly inflated to begin with. Every one of those titles that is available for the day 1 digital promotion was on the Best Buy E3 promo. That amounted to $20 discount, or $39.99. I think they are still available on the RZ 800 point promos, so at worst you are paying $49.99

To offer Plus subs 10% off, was quite frankly, insulting. Even with the addition of this new discount, it is only bringing the digital version in line with retail versions.

But, and this is huge, the digital version is value-less once purchased. Even if you do a 2 for 1 trade at a later date, or just a straight up trade in at EB, that retail version retains some value. At least $10-20 dollars. The digital version is yours forever, so factoring in that, you are overpaying by at least $20 for the digital version, and in many cases, far more. I won't even factor in the overage charges associated with downloading these games, but since most of us are on crappy capped Canadian ISP internet, that could be an addition $10 for the priviledge of downloading the damn thing.

Other than re-upping Plus, there is no way I am dropping that kind of coin on PSN in one month.

/end rant[/QUOTE]

+1

No box, no manual, no re-sale value, no idea how long you will have access to the games you have bought, and the still want $60? Nope.

That said, getting PS+ for 2 years, then $20 in Nov for more games is a decent deal. It would be hot outright if a deal for PSN cards pops up before then end of the month.

It said any purchase so I don't see why not.

"Anything purchased with your wallet on the PlayStation Store
You can grab a PlayStation Plus 1-year subscription, or sign up for DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket. You can even hop into the video store and catch up on any new releases you may have missed!"

As long as you hit $100+ you should be good.

Wait is the voucher limited to use in November only (ie it'll expire if you don't spend it then) or is it that you get the voucher in November?

This is tempting to me. Its unfortunate the FFXII dlc sale ended.

But PS+ renewal, little kings story vita brings me to like 90 or so. So I'll find something.

[quote name='Naylord']Wait is the voucher limited to use in November only (ie it'll expire if you don't spend it then) or is it that you get the voucher in November?[/QUOTE]

Not entirely clear on this front, is it? Seems kinda dicey to me, though, since they use the phrase "to spend in November"

So it's either time limited or they need to get an editor :)

EDIT: Seems pretty clear their community manager people have no clue, either, because the question is asked several times under the blog post with no answer (while a bunch of other questions are indeed answered).

[quote name='mabba18']+1

No box, no manual, no re-sale value, no idea how long you will have access to the games you have bought, and the still want $60? Nope.
[/QUOTE]

Yep. Sony announced their digital comic service for PSP is closing soon. And since there's rumours of PS4 not having bc with PS3 games (ie every download title), buying digital on PS3 may not be the best idea for the long term gamer. After all, PSN is no Steam.

[quote name='poiuiu']Yep. Sony announced their digital comic service for PSP is closing soon. And since there's rumours of PS4 not having bc with PS3 games (ie every download title), buying digital on PS3 may not be the best idea for the long term gamer. After all, PSN is no Steam.[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but Steam was no Steam until
it was. I'm still on the fence about "retail" digital downloads myself, but they're at least trying something different.

[quote name='poiuiu']Yep. Sony announced their digital comic service for PSP is closing soon. And since there's rumours of PS4 not having bc with PS3 games (ie every download title), buying digital on PS3 may not be the best idea for the long term gamer. After all, PSN is no Steam.[/QUOTE]

that's sad .. if only the Digital Comics was available in Canada. oh well

I'm sitting at $140 or so for the month right now. I wonder if I hit $200, if I get $40 back next month.

We'll see lol

[quote name='djsaiyan']I'm sitting at $140 or so for the month right now. I wonder if I hit $200, if I get $40 back next month.

We'll see lol[/QUOTE]

No, if you read the blog it clearly indicates this deal is limited to the first $100 only.

Max rebate is $20, regardless of amount spent.

I must admit, I'm curious how people can rack up such high amounts. Not including Plus, I don't think I would spend more than $100 in a year.

Eh there's always a few choice PSN downloads every year.

Little King's Story 2 is a download only title in the USA for the vita and one of the only like 4 vita games I've wanted to own. So that will be like 40+50 for a renewal so I'm down to 10$.Prolly will buy a couple of PS1 classics and be done with it.

[quote name='Lockescythe']Eh there's always a few choice PSN downloads every year.

Little King's Story 2 is a download only title in the USA for the vita and one of the only like 4 vita games I've wanted to own. So that will be like 40+50 for a renewal so I'm down to 10$.Prolly will buy a couple of PS1 classics and be done with it.[/QUOTE]

Why no Tokyo Jungle?

Then again, you could probably just fill up the last $10 with dlc too if you really wanted (LBP costumes will never go on sale, ever).

[quote name='diskdocx']No, if you read the blog it clearly indicates this deal is limited to the first $100 only.

Max rebate is $20, regardless of amount spent.

I must admit, I'm curious how people can rack up such high amounts. Not including Plus, I don't think I would spend more than $100 in a year.[/QUOTE]

Digital copy of Dishonored ($53.99 with PS+ discount)
Digital copy of Doom 3: BFG Edition ($35.99 with PS+ discount)
Marvel vs Capcom Origins
Mirror's Edge

A couple PS1 classics I thought I had but didn't. Probably a few other things.

[quote name='djsaiyan']Digital copy of Dishonored ($53.99 with PS+ discount)
Digital copy of Doom 3: BFG Edition ($35.99 with PS+ discount)
Marvel vs Capcom Origins
Mirror's Edge

A couple PS1 classics I thought I had but didn't. Probably a few other things.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't Dishonored and Doom both be cheaper as retail purchases? Unless you plan on keeping them forever?

I still think the digital releases are overpriced.

I just read on the blog that the credit expires in december so this isn't that great. If you push yourself to buy some stuff you might not buy just to get the credit, what you'll have to spend it on will be even moreso stuff you wouldn't buy anyways. :\

Terms & Conditions US, CANADA, MEXICO:

$20.00 PSN Wallet/Sony Entertainment Network Top Up is available to legal U.S., Canadian and Mexican residents with a Sony Entertainment Network account who are 18 or older and who have spent $100.00 or more using the Sony Entertainment Network Wallet between October 1, 2012 and October 31, 2012.

The promotion code (“Code”) is good for one qualifying Sony Entertainment Network account to redeem the $20.00 SEN wallet Top Up via the PlayStation®Store or Sony Entertainment Network services. Code expires December 9, 2012. Once Code is redeemed, however, the $20.00 Sony Entertainment Network Wallet Top Up can be used even after Code expiration. The approximate value of the Code is $20.00 USD. Code is not redeemable for cash, cannot be returned for cash or credit, may not be used for any other purpose and will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or damaged. You will receive the $20.00 redemption Code on or around November 9, 2012 via XMB message on PS3™ or the email account used to set up your Sony Entertainment Network Sign-in ID.

I am thinking my Plus renewal won't count towards the $100 deal! :(
My PSN Plus account just auto-renewed, but the “Product Purchase” does NOT show up in the TRANSACTION HISTORY.

Does this mean that it won’t count? I hope this isn’t the case. It would be a bad idea to punish those of us who had their PSN Plus accounts set to renew instead of clicking on buying another year of Plus.

I am ready to spend another $50 on games, but if my Plus “Auto-Renewal”
($50) didn’t count towards this promotion I will not be buying anything else.

[quote name='spoonman']I am thinking my Plus renewal won't count towards the $100 deal! :(
My PSN Plus account just auto-renewed, but the “Product Purchase” does NOT show up in the TRANSACTION HISTORY.

Does this mean that it won’t count? I hope this isn’t the case. It would be a bad idea to punish those of us who had their PSN Plus accounts set to renew instead of clicking on buying another year of Plus.

I am ready to spend another $50 on games, but if my Plus “Auto-Renewal”
($50) didn’t count towards this promotion I will not be buying anything else.[/QUOTE]

Call the Playstation Customer Service to clarify this. If it doesn't count, it should count since its a legitimate purchase from the PS store.

There's confirmation PSN+ renewals count towards the $100 in the comments section of the PS Blog article about this.

Mine came at the beginning of the week.

I spent just over $100, including a renewal on Plus, so that definitely did count.

Great Plus update for Vita coming next week!

I've read through the PS blog and the moderators seem to contradict each other. One guy says the money needs to be spent by "sometime" in december and the other guy says that the code just needs to be redeemed by Dec. 9th. Any ideas?

[quote name='ostynb']I've read through the PS blog and the moderators seem to contradict each other. One guy says the money needs to be spent by "sometime" in december and the other guy says that the code just needs to be redeemed by Dec. 9th. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I would defer to the email sent with the $20 code, and this is a direct quote;

"Code expires Dec 9, 2012. Once Code is redeemed, however, the $20.00 Sony Entertainment Network Wallet Top Up can be used even after Code expiration."

So I think that clearly states that the money won't be removed from your wallet once there.

On a side note, that mod doesn't sound very knowledgable. It's a balance - you can't track specific dollars. I added a bunch of PSN cards, and had about $30 sitting in the account. This added to that.

Since I can't specify which dollars I want to spend, so if the $20 rebate expires, that would mean I would have to drain the entire account in order to ensure I had spent it. Just doesn't make sense.

If they wanted the credit to expire, they would have made it so that you used the code to make the purchases until the total amount was used, or expired.

Just wanted to let you guys know that from now until November 26th if you spend $60 on PSN you can get back $10.

The thing is you can use the $20 you got from before in the october deal towards this, so basically spend $40 for $10 back.

Its a... okay deal. But if you want PS+ and didn't get it before, now is the perfect time to strike.

[quote name='Lumina']Where'd you hear about this sale saikisen? Can't find anything about it.[/QUOTE]

It was buried in the blog post about the ultimate bundles.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-full-games-add-ons-bundled-at-insane-prices/

Right at the bottom.

Not a great deal given that you only get $10 off, and have to spend it in a week. But, if you don't have Plus, then that could be $50 right there. Otherwise, probably better to buy retail with the Black Friday deals about.

bread's done
Back