Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Games

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

I meant from an efficiency standpoint. That's what is causing a lot of developers to strongly consider iOS/mobile development right now over traditional models.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#32 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

I meant from an efficiency standpoint. That's what is causing a lot of developers to strongly consider iOS/mobile development right now over traditional models.

Until the market is flooded.

#33 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Isn't it already? Everyone thinks they'll be the next Angry Birds, so it's still a tempting lure. I'm willing to bet big name game honchos think they'll carry their knowledge into surefire hits in that market.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#34 limelight022

limelight022

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

No one played Bulletstorm.

#35 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Isn't it already? Everyone thinks they'll be the next Angry Birds, so it's still a tempting lure. I'm willing to bet big name game honchos think they'll carry their knowledge into surefire hits in that market.

That's casual games. I'm talking hardcore that users can use to show off the graphics.

#36 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I bought it on its release date and didn't regret it one bit.

#37 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

Plenty of people bought Bulletstorm, just not a $60.

Most of my CAG Buddies got it for $20 or less. It was a real fun game.

Cliffy B is going to be sorely missed. He was a icon at Epic games. But hey, everyone needs some time off and It's apparent he's made his money and can do whatever the shaq fu he pleases.

#38 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Didn't Epic only publish that one? It was developed by someone else, right?

Anyway, Bulletstorm. I watched my husband play the demo of that the other day. It was... off-putting, for both of us. The teenage-boy version of machismo on display was just too much.

We have no problem with games appealing to the "bro" demographic, either; among other shooters, I play Halo and he plays CoD. It just seemed that Bulletstorm, at least in the demo, was trying too hard.

That laser lasso/whip weapon thing was pretty neat, though.

Sorry for the tangent :-P
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#39 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Bulletstorm was awesome. I need to finish it.

#40 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Anyway, Bulletstorm. I watched my husband play the demo of that the other day. It was... off-putting, for both of us. The teenage-boy version of machismo on display was just too much.

We have no problem with games appealing to the "bro" demographic, either; among other shooters, I play Halo and he plays CoD. It just seemed that Bulletstorm, at least in the demo, was trying too hard.

That's part of the appeal actually, it's definitely not one of those games that takes itself too seriously. My favorite part is when femshep tells you she's going to kill your dick :D

#41 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, the humor in Bulletstorm was like a parody of the Gears dudebro stuff, it was so over the top. I honestly wasn't crazy about the gameplay through.

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#42 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I felt the same way with the full game, so don't feel bad. I enjoyed the gameplay, sort of, but it grew dull near the end. But the game was so reversed sexist that it sickened me to read the interview with the game producer at Epic games, Tanya Jessen.

She told a story in an interview about how she fought with the game designers over the boob size that Trishka had in the game. Trishka initially was a double D cup, but Tanya found that sexist and inappropriate, so she demanded that the cup size be lowered to be more reasonable. The fact that the only female character in the game can't be exaggerated in the game, but all of the male characters are either stereotypes or unlikeable and childish confuses me. She took offense to a woman being misrepresented, but had no problem with degrading men, with a power hungry war general who betrays his own men, a drunk who kills mercilessly and enjoys earning 'points' for it, and a loyal asian sidekick who naturally is made into a robot/cyborg, as it already compliments his personality.

There was definitely a lot wrong with that game, and the lack of success commercially supports it.

#43 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

Bulletstorm was awesome. I need to finish it.

Wanna try co-op sometime? I really didn't mess with the online co-op stuff much.

#44 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Plenty of people bought Bulletstorm, just not a $60.

Yeah, I think that would change for a sequel. I think most people would jump on board a sequel if it was given the proper treatment. The first was a blast but the character models and levels felt like GoW rejects. It just needed a bit more creativity to distinguish it from Gears.