Vita PSN - Retro City Rampage - $14.99 - Out 10/9

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
picture.php

About Retro City Rampage

The entire open-world is in danger.

THE PLAYER is out for a friendly frolic of CRIME CAPERS when suddenly ambushed by EVIL GOOD GUYS. They will stop at nothing to end his RAMPAGE OF DOOM threatening the citizens of Theftropolis City. Are YOU bad enough to defeat the EVIL GOOD GUYS?

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE lets you play as THE PLAYER. Take the wheel with five-finger discounts on over 30 vehicles and wield over 20 weapons that will make you say "WHOA"! Run down innocent pedestrians to hear the magnificent monophonic modulated sounds. Order a pint of "SOUR MILK" from the barkeep to make yourself sick and avoid taking responsibility for your actions. At some point, defeat the EVIL GOOD GUYS then relax and go do it, when you want an ICED TEA.

Wait, what...?

A parody of the open-world action genre, Retro City Rampage takes modern game mechanics and mashes them into an authentic 8-bit experience.

Equal parts fast paced arcade action and an epic mission based story mode, it's all the driving and shooting you'd expect and a whole lot more! With missions that twist pages straight from classic game experiences, you get to re-live and rewrite history in a way only a modern anti-hero could!

When it comes to enemies, weapons are only the beginning! Put on your boots and jump on their heads! Toss 'em around to knock the rest down! Become truly unstoppable with awesome power-ups!

Through its world, characters and missions, Retro City Rampage lampoons the entire 8-bit era --from its games to the TV, movies and pop culture!

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4y0ZVG0y9g

More Information
Those of you who are worried that the characters might be too small on the PS Vita screen needn’t be! It supports two screen modes. The standard mode designed specifically for the PS Vita scales everything up and ensures that the characters and everything else are easy to see. Alternatively, the second mode uses smaller pixels but displays the entire 16:9 widescreen image and supports the TV/arcade screen borders of the PS3 counterpart, so it’s entirely up to you.

The PS Vita’s touchscreen also adds a nice… touch. RCR is a love letter to the days of the d-pad, for core gamers who grew up with controllers and buttons –but that doesn’t mean that the touchscreen can’t be used where it makes sense. It really makes the menus, minigames and shops faster and more convenient to navigate, going hand in hand with RCR’s overall design philosophy, that is to emit nostalgia while still catering to our evolved expectations of games. This extends from the added touchscreen functionality to the game design and tutorials. For example, you won’t need to flip through a manual or call a tips hotline to figure out what to do ;). But if you’re an absolute purist, you can still play the game 100% with the buttons.

I’m willing to bet that if you have a PS Vita, you also have a PS3. Well, you’re going to be exceptionally excited to hear about just how good friends the PS3 and PS Vita versions are. If you’re like me, you want the best of both worlds. You want to be able to play your favorite games on your nice TV from the couch but still take them with you everywhere you go. With Retro City Rampage, your dreams have come true! It supports continuous play so you can play the game on your couch, save it, and continue where you left off from your PS Vita (and vice versa).

Not only can the PS3 and PS Vita versions share save games, they also share a single set of scoreboards. If you’re rad enough to blast a high score onto the board, your replay will be up there for everyone to watch no matter which platform. Show your friends how a game wizard plays Retro City Rampage!

While the PS Vita version of Retro City Rampage boasts everything that its PS3 counterpart does, I had fun making a few tweaks to tailor the experience to the handheld. The PS3 version supports tube TV simulation filters which curve the screen and add scanlines (allowing you to play on an LCD TV with the feel of an old CRT); similarly, the PS Vita version supports classic dot-matrix simulation filters giving it a heavy dose of Game Boy/Game Gear nostalgia. I absolutely love it and it’s my filter of choice when playing the game. If the LCD grid simulation alone isn’t retro enough for you, you can also change the color mode. The color modes let you make Retro City Rampage even more retro with options such as “Brick Handheld” (yellow-green monochrome) and “Virtual Burn” (all red), “Blurst Processor,” “SEE=64,” “PC DOS EGA” and a dozen more. These are also available in the PS3 version!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/21/see-retro-city-rampage-in-action-on-ps-vita/

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/08/launch-trailer-retro-city-rampage-on-ps3-ps-vita-tuesday/

After months (years?) of anticipation, the big moment is almost here: VBlank Entertainment‘s long-gestating 8-bit open-world homage Retro City Rampage comes to PS3 and PS Vita tomorrow on PSN, complete with the ever-coveted Cross Buy and Cross Save features. Let’s give the freshly released launch trailer a looksee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ueQyTnlAZA

If you’ve never heard of Retro City Rampage, a) shame on you and b) I scarcely know where to begin! Imagine jamming all your favorite 8-bit games into a sprawling open world ala Grand Theft Auto and you’ll have a rough sense of this game’s special brand of pixelated magic. Retro City Rampage has more than 60 Story missions that span driving, stealth, platforming, shooting, swimming, and questing (just to name a few) as well as 40 Arcade challenges if you’re in need of a quick release. Looking for more numbers? Try these: 25+ weapons and power-ups, 50+ driveable vehicles, and 2.5 hours of glorious chiptune symphonies. And let’s not forget what might be the most important number of all: $14.99.

Will you be picking up Retro City Rampage tomorrow on PSN? What element of the game are you most interested in trying out? Let us know in the comments!

This looks like such a blast, and being able to play on both PS3 and Vita makes the value that much sweeter. I'll definitely be downloading this one!

Played it for about an hour so far, fun game! Love cross-play, being able to play on PS3, then save to cloud and pick up the Vita and load from where I left off is great!

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is really fun! It's perfect for quick bursts of gaming on the go with the bite-size mission format. Also love all of the references.

Finally picked this game up today. So far its really cool, i about marked out when i saw the ghostbusters hotel from the atari game in this game. LOL. This game is pretty cool, but some of the missions can be tedious.

The Virtual Meat Boy and Bit Trip Retro arcade games are pretty hard. I didnt even finish them, and getting all the bandages/gold seems like it will be really tough. I think i finished the all you can eat game.

Man ive been playing this more and all i can say is FRUSTRATING! If you like replaying the same boss/level over and over 20+ times till you beat it then this is a great game for you. Many of the missions i find myself just replaying them over and over. Im already -100 lives. This game is starting to be more frustrating than fun the more and more i get deeper into the story.

I can remember doing SPOILERS
the paper boy part over, splosion man part, the smash tv/zelda area, and now inside this castle part. Got to the robotnick dude flying over a flaming lava pit. After about 30 tries of that i just quit. Whats even more funny is when i had to throw bodies into the lava to build a bridge to get into the castle. It kept telling me, ok go into the castle, so i try to cross the bridge and died like 5 times in a row.
I almost wanted to break my controller today over this game, and i dont usually ever get that frustrated in a game.

Anyone else playing this? I look on my leaderboards and im the only one on my friends list with a score. Im playing it on my ps3, and its cool, but by far the most frustrating game ive played in a long time.

The driving is very touchy, you try to turn and even out and you end up going back in the other direction. Also im on this mission where its like pole position and its in 3D and no way to change it off. Also i have to shoot guns from my car and i have to tap the button every single time i want to shoot, maybe its homage to old classics, but for the love of god it should be automatic!!!!

I can see this game not being completed by a ton of people just out of frustration of the game, and how many times you have to replay a part over and over and over.

Does anyone know how to unlock Tipsy Toadstool Trippin Slaughter Spree? I read somewhere that you have to drink milk at a couple bars, one is supposed to be above china town area, but i cant find it. All i see is one down town.

Man there is like no info or talk for this game. Whenever i try to get help, google, even ps3trophies site, almost nothing.

I did beat the game, and unlocked commander video and super meat boy. Man this game is really hard at times. I am 94% finished.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Does anyone know how to unlock Tipsy Toadstool Trippin Slaughter Spree? I read somewhere that you have to drink milk at a couple bars, one is supposed to be above china town area, but i cant find it. All i see is one down town.

Man there is like no info or talk for this game. Whenever i try to get help, google, even ps3trophies site, almost nothing.

I did beat the game, and unlocked commander video and super meat boy. Man this game is really hard at times. I am 94% finished.[/QUOTE]

That was the very last spree I needed as well. It's in a building called Paramour all the way in the upper right of the map (but still in the area where there are roads shown on the map).

EDIT:
585616-retro-city-rampage-windows-screenshot-a-part-of-the-city-maps-1.jpg
Location of it at the yellow dot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so i beat the game, got gold on all Slaughter Sprees & Second-Rate Sprees. Found all payphones, found all invisible walls. I only need 2 loot bags for that trophy. Anyone with a loot bag map? Or maybe someone can tell me ones that are hard to find? The last 2 i got was in a house near the upper left corner and one by the mario pipe that you come out of with the flame thrower, one is right above there.

bread's done
Back