MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
814 replies to this topic

#331 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

I didn't catch any fights, but I'm disappointed that Struve lost. From what I read sounds like there were a few controversial decisions as well.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#332 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

Damn...this is why you never keep your hands down against motherfucking Mark Hunt.

"Thanks for the support everybody, I wanted Herb to take the tooth out of my cheek and continue but then it turned out my jaw was broken.." -Stefan Struve on twitter
Posted Image

#333 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Anyone saying Struve should be cut should be burned alive.

Future UFC HW Champion in the making.

Also, how close is Brian Stann to being irrelevant? Had a really nice run for a little while, but guy seems like he's about done.

#334 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Always fun when a slugfest breaks out.

Hunt's walkoff TKO was nice. Struve, not using his reach like a giant should, dropping his hands as if he had Anderson Silva's athleticism to avoid strikes.

#335 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Also, how close is Brian Stann to being irrelevant? Had a really nice run for a little while, but guy seems like he's about done.

I think he wanted to just slug it out honestly. Hes always been irrelevant in terms of championships, but hes shows up to fight. Hes far from being irrelevant as a fighter, hes entertaining, I know if hes in a boring fight its not because of him and I appreciate that.

Also, couldnt have been happier to see wand get a ko like that in that arena, love wand.

I have no idea how diego got that decision. There is no way, no way he won 2 or 3. 1st round he probably won but i could understand an argument that gomi won all three. as bad a decision as Ive seen I laughed out loud when they announced it.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#336 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Struve had ZERO fight IQ that night. Sad shit.

Every time he had mount, he gave up position for a failed armbar.

Neither fighter deserved to win. Hunt nailed him with a great hook and broke his jaw. Sloppy fight, not entertained at all. Watching HW's gassing is so 1990's.

Side-note: Why is nobody talking about the guy who removed his dick and wants to fight women?
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#337 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Struve had ZERO fight IQ that night. Sad shit.

Every time he had mount, he gave up position for a failed armbar.

Neither fighter deserved to win. Hunt nailed him with a great hook and broke his jaw. Sloppy fight, not entertained at all. Watching HW's gassing is so 1990's.

Side-note: Why is nobody talking about the guy who removed his dick and wants to fight women?

The thing is, future champions don't get duped into sloppy fights. I agree about HW's gassing though. Any fighter whose answer to cardio training is "I'll just KO the guy in the first 2 minutes of the fight" is a joke. Hunt will never challenge for the title...and Struve losing to him tosses him back down the ladder as well.

As for the transgender fighter, I don't even know how you can make a ruling on that one way or the other without being accused of something dispicable. I guess with extensive medical study, if it can be legitimately proven that someone who was born as a male has no chemical or muscular advantage after undergoing all of the hormonal therapy and whatever, then you have to allow it.

But I don't understand the mentality of this fighter. He believes he's a woman...and he wants to beat up women for a living. I like to think of myself as a very liberal and tolerant person...but something about that just feels off.

Having said that...it looks like this fighter wasn't even properly licensed anyway and is now being investigated.

http://www.usatoday....1/?sf10174977=1

#338 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

So it sounds like Silva/Weidman is on for July. Anyone think Weidman has got a chance?

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#339 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

As good of a chance as anybody else against Silva. He doesn't have anything on his resume that says he's a legitimate threat but this is MMA and just by showing up he'll have a shot.
Posted Image

#340 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Middleweight division lives or dies with Weidman. Silva wins and that's the death of 185 in the UFC. From there, Silva would probably only fight superfights/special attractions until he chooses to retire. There is no one else at 185 that has a chance at beating Silva that isn't named Weidman.

Of course, wins over Munoz and Maia mean little to nothing in comparison to fighting/beating Silva. The only person on Earth with a chance of beating Silva is Jones. Silva trucks GSP, JDS, and probably even Velasquez (especially if Kongo is able to rock Velasquez). Silva is just a freak of nature. Deceptive dynamite in his hands for his lean appearance, more than capable off his back, and, when healthy, good enough TDD to halt a TRT-driven Sonnen, who has arguable some of the best wrestling in MMA.

#341 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Now if Weidman pulls the upset, where do they even go from there? Does the UFC give Silva the rematch and risk going right back into MW disparity?

#342 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I hope not, I dont want to see immediate rematches unless its a draw or an awful awful decisions, even then im not 100%.

So the diaz/gsp call yesterday was something.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#343 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I didn't listen to the conference call, but from reading about it, it made Diaz look like an ever bigger idiot then I ever thought possible. I don't understand a lot of what he was trying to say, mostly seemed like semi-thought out ramblings.

I don't like GSP, but I still hope he kicks Diaz' ass.

#344 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hunt vs JDS at UFC 160 in May, I am excited about his fight. I wonder if Junior will attempt any takedowns against Hunt because while JDS can pick him apart, it is very dangerous against Hunt with his titanium head and very heavy hands it could go bad for him with one well timed punch.

edit - I'm sure most of the people on this thread have seen this, but it still blows my mind.

Posted Image

Edited by icp_00_111, 11 March 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#345 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Keeping Hunt on the ground where he's weakest for points or a submission is going to be his best bet. I know JDS has some KO power of his own, but doesn't seem like the most sound strategy to go guns blazing against a guy that can take shots and return them just as hard.
Posted Image

#346 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hmmm...I must have totally missed the news where Overeem dropped out of his fight with JDS.

#347 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hmmm...I must have totally missed the news where Overeem dropped out of his fight with JDS.

He's "injured".

#348 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Isn't TRT supposed to help fighters recover quicker? At least that's the excuse I've been hearing them use to justify themselves.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#349 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

Anyone else enjoy the Diaz/GSP conference call?

Dana White: Blah, blah, blah Nick Diaz is late blah blah blah.
Nick Diaz: Hello.......fucker....
Currently playing:

#350 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

Just a few more days for GSP and Diaz. I was looking at the gallery of GSP vs Condit and man I didn't realize how much damage Condit had actually done. GSP looked like he got hit by a bus. I really hate that they're putting Hendricks against Condit because if Hendricks loses, his only chance at a title shot will probably be gone forever. Dana White and his bullshit matchups is starting to become really aggravating.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#351 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Just a few more days for GSP and Diaz. I was looking at the gallery of GSP vs Condit and man I didn't realize how much damage Condit had actually done. GSP looked like he got hit by a bus. I really hate that they're putting Hendricks against Condit because if Hendricks loses, his only chance at a title shot will probably be gone forever. Dana White and his bullshit matchups is starting to become really aggravating.

I'm a Diaz fan but Hendricks should be the one fighting for the title this PPV.

Think of it this way. Hendricks wins. Diaz somehow pulls out a win and grabs the title......Hendricks will be the next champ after.
Currently playing:

#352 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

What people somehow forget is that GSP hadn't fought in almost 2 years when that fight happened. It was an incredibly tough situation for him because with that kind of layoff, he definitely deserved a tune up fight. But by being the champion...and being GSP...people just expect him to come in and be amazing. I'll be shocked if we don't see a much sharper and relaxed GSP in this fight.

#353 qualityman13

qualityman13

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Bump for the thread, the main great is going to be great! If you are looking for a good place to watch it PM me.

Main card (my picks)
Weight Class
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre © vs. Nick Diaz (GSP)
Welterweight Johny Hendricks vs. Carlos Condit (Condit)
Welterweight Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt (Jake)
Middleweight Nick Ring vs. Chris Camozzi (Ring)
Lightweight Mike Ricci vs. Colin Fletcher (Ricci)

#354 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Stockton nugga!

#355 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

diaz had a year to plan this fight and his best defense is heel strikes to the fucking ribs

#356 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

don't defend take downs
yell bitch!
???
lose fight

#357 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

Embarrassing for Diaz

#358 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

I never thought Diaz had a chance. Glad to see I was right. More glad to see Hendricks win his fight!

#359 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

I only caught the last three fights but they were all great in my book. GSP vs. Diaz went as expected. GSP was active on the ground but never really had Diaz rocked or in deep trouble and Diaz couldn't do anything from his back.

Things got a little iffy at the end of the third round when I thought GSP was tagged a few times.

Diaz is a weird guy. Swinging at GSP after the bell each round. Then in the 4th when he knows he is down he starts doing that taunting with his hands down walking around in a circle. I assume he is trying to bait GSP into a brawl but it obviously wasn't going to work.

#360 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

What people somehow forget is that GSP hadn't fought in almost 2 years when that fight happened. It was an incredibly tough situation for him because with that kind of layoff, he definitely deserved a tune up fight. But by being the champion...and being GSP...people just expect him to come in and be amazing. I'll be shocked if we don't see a much sharper and relaxed GSP in this fight.

In somewhat of a relation to this talking point,

Sorta surprising that no one has yet to give a mention of how GSP lost a ton of steam heading into R3. Diaz- Ya know, the guy with terrible TDD- was stopping takedowns and hitting GSP with shots. Of course, GSP was never in any real danger, but that won't be the case if/when Hendricks stops GSP from grinding out a decision.

I'm still not 100-percent sold on Hendricks, and think GSP will keep him at range and jab him into oblivion, but there is no way GSP will be able to take punches from Hendricks. GSP is my favorite fighter—but he has always been a little bit of a headcase. When he took a jab to the eye from Shields is an example of this. He was just freaking out and if he didn't have such a solid corner he might have been in trouble. (See: If he had BJ Penn's corner, he would have been in trouble.) I will say GSP by DEC but Hendricks by TKO is also likely given how GSP reacts under fire.

And I have the strangest feeling that he is beginning a decline. Just a gut thing. Similar feeling I had before Edwards upset Neer, Forte upset Etim, Pettis upset Cerrone, Brown upset Swick, Garza upset Hominick, and a few other times.

Edited by Chase, 17 March 2013 - 03:10 PM.
'Twas a jab to the eye and not an eye poke