MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
820 replies to this topic

#421 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

And my favorite part about Thomson knocking out Nate Diaz is the look on his fans' faces. Their horror fuels my laughter.

My favorite part is still his corner having to throw in the towel. All I can picture is Nick screaming "Stop hurting my brother!!!!" and tossing the towel in. In my mind, that's how it went down, lol. :lol:

#422 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

My favorite part is still his corner having to throw in the towel. All I can picture is Nick screaming "Stop hurting my brother!!!!" and tossing the towel in. In my mind, that's how it went down, lol. :lol:

Hehehe... ;)

I bet Cesar was like "Oh god no please don't hurt my cash cow!"

Supposedly, Nate made only $15,000 base for last night's fight. His payday before that was $50,000 for a losing effort against Bendo. Explains why he got a new manager. Now if only he would get a new camp.

#423 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

So what's the over/under on Jones beating the con artist in under a minute?

#424 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

I think Jones lets Sonnen survive into R2. The fight definitely does not go the distance, tho, and probably concludes before R4 begins. He's most likely not gonna toy with him like he did with Jackson. And, unlike with Evans, there isn't some sort of lengthy former friendship that lets him spare Sonnen from the ax.

Interesting interview. Interesting insight from Hall. Almost get the feeling like he pulled a Russian and threw the fight.

#425 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

:lol:

jones was toying with jackson? that's the first i've heard of it. i guess that's why it took him 4 rounds to win.

Auen1.png?7125

#426 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Well, I'm not Jon Jones, so I don't know if that's actually true. ;) But, having studied Jones, and Jackson, he looked to have been a lion just toying with a mouse.

#427 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Well, I'm not Jon Jones, so I don't know if that's actually true. ;) But, having studied Jones, and Jackson, he looked to have been a lion just toying with a mouse.

I don't remember everything from the Rampage fight, but I definitely thought Jones was toying with Machida before he prison choked him. That was the first fight Jones really got touched in and it seemed like he just wanted to get hit in the face to see how he'd respond.

Now, as for who actually has put up the best fight against him and was at least a threat at some point, I thought Belfort was the only one. Despite being undersized, I thought Vitor was the most well-rounded fighter Jones has faced. Sadly, Chael doesn't fit into this category, and Jones will probably just stuff the takedown and jab/elbow him to death.

#428 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

This was my face and a physical representation of my Twitter timeline when Belfort locked up Jones in the armbar

Spoiler

Sonnen is doomed. After dominating R1, he gave up in R2 after embarrassing himself with that insane spinning back elbow. My reaction to seeing Sonnen throw that was pretty much that same GIF I just posted.

#429 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

This was my face and a physical representation of my Twitter timeline when Belfort locked up Jones in the armbar

Spoiler

Sonnen is doomed. After dominating R1, he gave up in R2 after embarrassing himself with that insane spinning back elbow. My reaction to seeing Sonnen throw that was pretty much that same GIF I just posted.

Pretty spot on to mine. I don't think anybody was expecting Vitor to almost get a lock like that on Jones only to have Bones power out like that. It was pretty unreal.

As for the Chael Fael:
Spoiler

Posted Image

#430 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

I was jumping out of my seat with joy when Chael lost to Anderson. Funny, cuz now I love the dude. He's good at what he does (talking).

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#431 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

I think Chael is great. I do think he goes a little overboard with the promo sometimes (his Dwayne Johnson "People's Champion", "People's Octagon" speech was pretty terrible), but I also think it's because in general, he's kind of a nerd.

Once you figure that out, it's easy to understand where he's coming from. He's just trying to hype his fights and make people have a good time. It should be fairly obvious to anybody who watched this past season of TUF that's Chael is a really nice guy...and a damn good coach. He spent most of the season complimenting Jones and being totally respectful. The guy really deserves more credit than he gets.

#432 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Chael sucks.

http://deadspin.com/...is-wa-474796344

#433 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Chael sucks.

http://deadspin.com/...is-wa-474796344

Excellent read! Thanks for sharing! :applause:

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#434 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Pretty spot on to mine. I don't think anybody was expecting Vitor to almost get a lock like that on Jones only to have Bones power out like that. It was pretty unreal.

Belfort said he eased up after hearing Jones' arm pop. Imagine if Belfort had a stronger killer instinct. Bones said he has some nerve damage to his bicep. Belfort would have done a service to future Jones opponents if he had broken that arm.

I think Chael is great. I do think he goes a little overboard with the promo sometimes (his Dwayne Johnson "People's Champion", "People's Octagon" speech was pretty terrible), but I also think it's because in general, he's kind of a nerd.

Once you figure that out, it's easy to understand where he's coming from. He's just trying to hype his fights and make people have a good time. It should be fairly obvious to anybody who watched this past season of TUF that's Chael is a really nice guy...and a damn good coach. He spent most of the season complimenting Jones and being totally respectful. The guy really deserves more credit than he gets.

Yessir. Hype Man Sonnen is the personality some people dislike. Real Person Sonnen seems like a nice dude I'd love to get a drink with and chat. And I don't drink, but I would just to chat with the guy.

Sorta similar to Nick Diaz. Media Personality Diaz seems like an angry autistic kid who didn't get his midday snack. Real Person Diaz seems like a nice guy. I have seen footage of him taking time out of his day to chat and take pictures with fans.

#435 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Does anybody know if you can buy live events with Microsoft points? I have a lot of points, I doubt I can.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#436 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

Well, at least the Jones-Sonnen fight went as expected (except for the broken toe). Chael pretty much said exactly why he HAD to hype his way into this title shot though. This was his last chance. I think after he lost to Silva for the second time, he knew at his age, he probably wasn't going to have time to work his way back up the ladder again. This was basically the last ditch effort of a desperate man to be a UFC champion. Whether he deserved the shot or not, I can't blame him for trying.

#437 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

I blame the UFC for booking it.

Roy Nelson. wow.

#438 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

Probably the strangest night in UFC history. Demon voices, eye pokes, Mulhall hijinx, and other crazy shit.

I won Healy ITD +1375, so I can't complain, but it's just baffling to see the amount of bad mojo that went down tonight.

#439 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Does Rogan know exactly what glove style to use in MMA to cut down on eyepokes? He's always calling for new gloves but just goes on to say "there has to be a glove that will still allow you to grapple."

#440 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Wow, what a weird night of fights.

The video of Jones breaking is toe is tough to watch. I was probably most impressed with Phil Davis, although Magalhaes didn't really look like he wanted to be in that fight.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#441 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

GIF of how Jon Jones broke his toe. Had to spoiler this thing cause it's huge, lol.

Spoiler

#442 kdiddy1989

kdiddy1989

2011 NBA Champions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Holy crap. That's insane that he did not feel that. Even with sky high adrenaline I feel like my brain would say 'hey buddy, you're toe just snapped...'

#443 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

It's like seeing a rat inst-killed in a spring trap. Goddamn. Still had the adrenaline to smash Sonnen into oblivion. That's why he's in the ring and we're all mouth breathers on the interwebs.

#444 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Just going to leave this....here...

Posted Image
http://www.maxim.com/hot100/2013

#445 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

UFC released 9 fighters from their contracts today.

Leonard Garcia
Antonio Carvalho
Reuben Duran
Pablo Garza
Kurt Holobaugh
Justin Lawrence
Bart Palaszewsli
Sam Sicilia
Issei Tamura

Can't say I'm surprised because all of them had pretty lackluster records. A little surprised it took 5 consecutive losses before they pulled the plug on Garcia.
Posted Image

#446 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Rousey is quite attractive for a fighter.

-

Hate to say it but about damn time Garcia got the axe. Shitty judging pads his record. Garza is interesting. The man I bet as a sizable underdog to beat Hominick because I thought Hominick had been at the edge of a career slide. Like with Neer, I will never forget the money Garza made me. My best to his remaining MMA career.

#447 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

He can thank the exciting fighter argument for extending his stay longer than most fighters would probably get. 6 FotN on 17 fights is nothing to scoff at, but with that many consecutive losses, you can't really expect to keep that fight gig forever.
Posted Image

#448 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Sonnen has his eyes set on Wandy now. He has even offered to donate 10% of his purse and made a mock up event poster lol.

http://www.mmaweekly...rlei-silva-bout

Posted Image

#449 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Sonnen-Silva III: "I'm pretty sure I can beat this Silva."
Posted Image

#450 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Sonnen-Silva III: "I'm pretty sure I can beat this Silva."

:lol: Yeah that's pretty funny. Also, it turns out Jones toe was not broken after all. It was just severely dislocated :hot:

Posted Image