* * * * * 1 votes

MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
811 replies to this topic

#481 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

http://www.mmatorch....ml#.UaZ4IUCyCuk

Is- Is the great Anderson Silva already trying to find a way to escape his fight with Chris Weidman? I remember reading that broken ribs take something like six weeks to heal. However, this would most likely hinder his training, and he's heading into a fight with a capable-tho-untested Chris Weidman.

Earlier this month, Silva missed a presser and was subsequently fined $50,000. Mind games from Silva? Maybe nerves? Regardless, I can't bet Weidman while he's only in the +200s. Silva is one of the best fighters ever in the history of life and Weidman is still unproven against good talent.

#482 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Sounds like Chael is going to step in and fight Shogun to replace the injured Little Nog.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#483 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Chael Sonnen: Have Gloves, Will Travel.
Posted Image

#484 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like Chael is going to step in and fight Shogun to replace the injured Little Nog.

Winnable fight for Sonnen because Rua has shown a lot of signs of wear that comes with being an old dog and having a career full of brutal fights. While I favor competent strikers against grapplers in a five round fight, and Sonnen has shown to fold against powerful strikers, Sonnen should win this fight for one big reason: It'll be at UFC middleweight at not Pride middleweight. Sonnen knows that cut. Rua will have to discover how he fights at 185 at the tail end of his career, and he already gasses bad. Rua is no Silva or Jones. Sonnen should grind this out and I just may play a Sonnen by SUB prop because it feels that he could get that.

Oh, and last night's card was pretty solid, even for a Fuel TV card.

#485 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Pettis hurt his knee and is out of the Aldo fight, being replaced by the Korean Zombie.

Pettis dropping to 145 and subsequently cause Aldo to want to move up and get a title shot at 155 has thrown quite a loop in both weight classes.  I'm not sure what this means now, I think Aldo beats KZ pretty easily, but will he still be interested to move to 155?

Depending on how long Pettis is out, he'll probably lose his #1 contendership for either belt and have to re-earn it.  I don't think he'd stay down at 145 to fight a non-title fight so when he returns my guess would be he'd return at 155.  But if Aldo does move to 155, maybe he stays at 145 since Aldo leaving would leave that weight class wide open.

I must say it was my most anticipated fight of the summer (I'm not a Pettis fan, I'm a Benson fan and Pettis scares the hell out of me) not only because it would have been a great fight, but the results had huge consequences for both weight classes.  So I'm definitely disappointed that Aldo/Pettis isn't gonna happen...

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#486 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Really excited to see KZ finally get a title shot, but I'm disappointed it had to come at the expense of another guy that also deserves a title shot.
Posted Image

#487 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

I'm not a fan of Pettis, and I think he's being a punk trying to take TJ Grant's spot at UFC 164.

I understand where he's coming from, but it's still kind of a dick move to try and take someone else's fight when that person isn't hurt.  What is ironic (and extremely humorous to non-Pettis fans like me) is that this is the fight he WOULD HAVE BEEN IN if he didn't get greedy in the first place and try to jump down to 145.

#488 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hell, I'll agree with that. Pettis just wants another shot at Bendo in front of his homecrowd but he didn't earn that shot like Grant did. TJ Grant is the Cinderella story and he deserves his shot against Bendo. Now will he lose? Does Pettis have a better chance to win? Probably yes to both but that's beside the fact that Grant put in his work while Pettis was screwing around getting ready to kick Aldo's ass and move back up.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#489 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

New KO of the Year Contender

Spoiler

Posted Image

#490 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

'Twas a nice knockout shot by Mo—tho against mediocre opposition. You can tell a lot about a fighter in their return fight after a dramatic loss. While Petruzelli is the MMA equivalent of wrasslin enhancement talent, it's good to see Mo go back to his wrestling. His ground-and-pound is quite powerful. He said "it won't happen again" in regards to getting caught in the standup. We shall see if he ever goes back to his Poor Man's Mayweather when he faces competent opposition. 

Mo has no real competition in Bellator.

- Zayats: Finished by nameless fighters; no quality wins
- Vegh: Couldn't finish a glassjaw M'Pumbu in five rounds
- M'Pumbu: Small for 205; Mo would finish him in two rounds
- Rampage: Obviously cares more about wrasslin than fighting; Mo outwrestles him in a decision win
- Noe: Only recently started training seriously and he's 32; no quality wins

I think Mo's only real competition in Bellator is Newton. If Mo uses his wrestling, he has the potential to finish Newton, even though Newton has deceptively slick grappling. If he reverts to Poor Man's Mayweather, he gives Newton a chance to hurt him again. 

In the UFC, I think Mo would beat people like Diabate, Kingsbury, Te Huna, maybe Sonnen, maybe Wand, and maybe Maldonado if he gets him to the ground, but his potential would hit the ceiling real quick. Teixeira finishes Mo. No doubt in my mind. Gus would probably keep him at range and pick him apart for a UD. Thiago Silva would give him a competitive fight, and Silva has a good chance of finishing Mo in the first round. If Bader can stop the takedowns, he could pull off the upset and drop Mo. You can see where this is going. Mo's chin is very questionable. He doesn't roll with the punches, and he apparently can't absorb them. So, if Mo goes back to his terrible imitation of Floyd Mayweather, anyone who can stop his takedowns and hit him with good power will probably give him a competitive fight.

Mo made a very wise decision in signing with Bellator. Relatively easy MMA route and the ability to partake in TNA. Best of both worlds for him.

/unnecessarilylongpost

#491 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Courtesy of Damon Martin and official MMAWeekly.com content partner Bleacher Report.

Win, lose or draw,Anderson Silva will go home from his next fight at UFC 162 a rather happy man, at least financially.

On Friday, Bleacher Report received the reported salary information for the main event and co-main event fighters for the upcoming UFC 162 card from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

According to the report, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will make $600,000 for his show money, and if he wins, he will pocket an additional $200,000.

Silva just recently renegotiated a new 10-fight deal with the UFC that is obviously paying him substantially higher than his last contract.

When Silva fought Chael Sonnen in the main event of UFC 148 in July 2012, the Brazilian took home $200,000 with no win bonus for his performance.  Silva did fight one more time in 2012 at UFC 153, but the card was in Brazil and no salary information was released for that show.

Now with his new fight deal in place, Silva stands to make almost a million dollars should he beat Weidman on Saturday, and he will likely take home an even larger paycheck based on pay-per-view bonuses he receives that are not disclosed publicly.

As for Silva’s opponent, Weidman will pocket $24,000 for his show money at UFC 162 with a chance to win an additional $24,000 if he wins.

In the co-main event of the evening, former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar will take home $120,000 for his show money, and if he wins, he will get an additional $120,000.

His opponent, Charles Oliveira, will get paid $21,000 for his show money and $21,000 if he pulls the upset and beats Edgar on Saturday night.

Now, the payouts reported by the commission are only what is listed as contractual salaries on the bout agreements signed by the fighters and the promotion. Any additional bonuses paid out, such as discretionary locker-room bonuses paid by the UFC or the aforementioned pay-per-view bonuses, are not disclosed.

The full list of the UFC 162 salaries will be released by the Nevada State Athletic Commission next week, most likely on Monday following the event.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#492 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm pretty sure discrepancies of payments in boxing are still far far worse.  If a fighter can win consistently and be entertaining while he does it, then he's going to get paid.  Anderson Silva has done this (I never miss a Silva fight, myself and my 2 friends will each be plunking down $20 to watch the show tonight) and deserves to get paid.

Also, I think Silva will take this fight easily.  People always like to talk up Silva's opponents as if "this guy's the one" that will take out Silva.  It'll happen at some point, Anderson is no spring chicken anymore, but I don't think it will happen tonight.

#493 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

I don't see any problem with the differences in pay. It happens in all sports unless you're competing in a tournament with a monetary prize. Superstars make more than the lesser knowns. That's nothing new. Do the lesser knowns sometimes outperform the superstars? Yes, they do. And then they become the superstars and their pay level goes up. If Oliveira or Weidman are upset that their opponent is making much more money, the first thing they can do to remedy that is win.

#494 qualityman13

qualityman13

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

If anyone wants a good place to watch the awesome ppv tonight please PM me

Want 20% off games at Best Buy? Click here. http://www.cheapassg...t-buy-discount/
Free Amazon Prime For 3 Months (Enjoy Free Two day Shipping)
http://www.amazon.co...ef_type=generic

#495 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

Can we stop pretending the gracies are good at MMA?

#496 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

Until they swallow a bit of that pride and start bringing in some legitimate people who can wrestle and strike, it's just same old, same old. Roger threw 16 strikes in that fight. 16! That's ridiculous. Why even bother doing anything other than a BJJ tournament, if you're only going to throw 16 strikes?

Nice performances from Swanson, Munoz, and Frankie tonight. Really happy to see Frankie get a win again. He really needed that one. Not sure where he goes from here, but perhaps a title eliminator with Cub would work? I'm not even sure if I like Frankie taking another title shot that soon, as I feel like he's gotta build his confidence back up and get back to doing what made him capable of beating guys like BJ Penn and Gray Maynard to begin with...but with 145 being somewhat thin, Swanson might be the only other guy that makes sense.

#497 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

Keep showing off you dumb fucking clown. Got your ass knocked out.

#498 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

LMAO...finally! Who would have thought that being a cocky piece of shit would eventually catch up with you? I really don't want to hear this G.O.A.T shit anymore. The G.O.A.T doesn't disrespect the sport and make a joke out of everything.

#499 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

Fool thought he was fighting forrestt griffin. Got his chin tested

#500 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

thats what you get anderson...

#501 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

This michael jackson sounding clown got embarrassed.

#502 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

The worst part is Dana has already promised him an immediate rematch...even though this performance clearly doesn't deserve one. He basically got a free pass for this fight.

LOL...so Silva doesn't care about the belt anymore? What the Fuck? Yeah, I get people have been hounding him for the superfights with GSP and Johnny Bones, but he's got 7 more fights on his deal outside of those...making almost $1 million per fight. He gets a huge pay raise and now all of a sudden he doesn't care? Can't wait to hear how Dana feels about that.

#503 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

So what's shitty GSP's announcement? He plans to lay and pray his new opponent?

#504 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

for those interested heres a gif courtesy of zombieprophet http://4.bp.blogspot...MW4/s1600/8.gif

"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#505 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

Definitely a surprise finish but that's what happens when you act like an idiot.

Where is the GSP announcement?

Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#506 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

Honestly, the worst part about it is this is the kind of stuff that opens up discussions for fights being "rigged" or fighters throwing fights for betting purposes. Think of the money Silva fucked with by acting like this. I don't care how skilled he is. It's not good for the sport.

#507 moojuice

moojuice

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

I'm kinda mixed. On one hand, glad that Weidman got the win because of Silva's clowning. On the other hand, the same reason Anderson lost kinda cheapens the win; for a title fight, Silva wasn't really "trying"... so the win isn't as impressive as it is...fitting...I guess. With the way Silva has been acting lately, with the fact he's got a shiny new 10 fight contract (can the UFC even terminate it early?) plus the 600k "thanks for showing up" paycheck, he's just phoning it in at this point.

#508 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

Damn! I guess it finally caught up to him.

#509 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

yeah i hope the way he acted doesn't cheapen chris's win. it should solidify it. anderson's bs'ing didn't faze him like anderson's previous victims. people are gonna complain and make up conspiracy theories, but let them whine. anderson silva is still my favorite fighter, but weidman doesn't bs around in the octagon. the new champ deserves all of his success.

#510 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Why would the way Silva acted cheapen Weidman's win?  That's how Silva always fights, and it has always worked for him up until now.  People are making WAY too much of this fight.  Weidman scored a huge upset, won the fight, and is now the champ.  Anderson's antics in the ring and motivation going into the fight are irrelevant.  He lost, plain and simple, and his 6+ years of defending his title are over.

I'm disappointed Silva lost, I'm a big fan.  I don't always love his antics in the octogon, but I do love his crafty dodging and ability to finish fights in the most exciting of ways.  His "hands down head dodging" was bound to catch up to him at some point, and tonight it did.  I hope he comes back a little bit more disciplined, but at his age, I think it's possible that Silva's reign is truly over.

Personally I'm not a big fan of instant rematches.  The lightweight division was plagued with them a couple years ago (and the only one that should have been was after the Edgar/Maynard draw) and all it does is clutter up the weight division.  As a Silva fan, I'd be happy for him to get another title shot right away.  But I don't feel like he deserves one.