MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
871 replies to this topic

#181 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Benson looked extremely impressive, he did pretty much exactly what I wanted him to do. (Overpower Diaz in the clinch and on the ground). Except for the Frankie Edgar rematch, Benson has looked great in the UFC. I really liked his grey walk-out shirt too, I may need to add a 3rd Benson shirt to my wardrobe.

As for the Diaz antics, they're definitely not surprising, and I didn't mind them too much. Obviously it looks stupid when you taunt your opponent while you're getting your ass kicked, but that's just Nate Diaz.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#182 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

I think Bendo has proved since the Jim Miller fight that he's just fucking massive compared to other lightweights. He almost looks like he's in a different weight class when you compare him to Miller, Edgar and Diaz. His legs are like fucking tree trunks.

Really looking forward to seeing him fight the winner of Pettis vs. Cerrone.

#183 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

I think Bendo has proved since the Jim Miller fight that he's just fucking massive compared to other lightweights. He almost looks like he's in a different weight class when you compare him to Miller, Edgar and Diaz. His legs are like fucking tree trunks.

Really looking forward to seeing him fight the winner of Pettis vs. Cerrone.

Pettis is the guy who scares me the most, for obvious reasons.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#184 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

Pettis is the guy who scares me the most, for obvious reasons.

Yeah but you just know Henderson wants to avenge that loss though. Makes for the most entertaining fight too.

On a side note, I really like the makings of a Gustafsson vs. Jones title fight. As a pretty big Gustafsson fan I want him to get some more experience before challenging Jones but if Jones can beat Sonnen, I don't really see anyone else in line before him.

#185 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

Bendo would stomp Pettis now with wrestling alone. In fact, Pettis may or may not get past Cerrone.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#186 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Check out my picks for UFC on FX 6 at Sherdog MMA Pick 'Em http://$$$$$$$/TZJsGF

Check out my picks for UFC - TUF 16 Finale at Sherdog MMA Pick 'Em http://$$$$$$$/VG6WwA

:whee:

EDIT: hmm is bitly a banned url or something?

Posted Image

#187 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

God bless you Maklershed.I would've never looked to press the "Next" button to get picks on with two events today and would have been left having only filled on the Smashes card without you.With only an hour to spare too lol.I see you listed as someone whos shared your picks on twitter and see em at this link http://fantasy.sherd...30400381.Pretty good picks, although I like Varner better,just because Guililard is just a horrible IQ fighter and Roy in his fight as well.Although I could see Mitirione managing to win the rounds against Nelson in a decision using his footwork.I don't remember the last time any fighter's hype was killed as fast as Mitirione's in that decision loss that could have went either way with Kongo.

#188 TTGSteve

TTGSteve

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

wnjyfBT_ons

#189 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

Why am I not surprised?

http://bleacherrepor...tickets-on-sale

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#190 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

Why am I not surprised?

http://bleacherrepor...tickets-on-sale

Even though I'd rather see GSP/Diaz, I do feel bad for Johny Hendricks getting overlooked for a title shot even though he has won 5 straight and beat notable guys like Fitch, Koscheck, and Kampmann. Looks like he is fighting Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158 as well.
Posted Image

#191 raven47172

raven47172

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

I know Nick Diaz has been back in the UFC for a while, but it still amazes me that the UFC keeps re-signing him. He was kicked out for how he behaved before, but they re-signed him anyway. He attacked Joe Riggs at a hospital for crying out loud!!!

#192 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

It must really suck to be Johnny Hendricks right now. Apparently he respects UFC too much or doesn't smoke enough weed.

#193 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

Teixeira vs. Jackson scheduled for UFC on Fox 6 in January. It would be interesting to see Rampage leave the UFC on a win.

#194 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Teixeira vs. Jackson scheduled for UFC on Fox 6 in January. It would be interesting to see Rampage leave the UFC on a win.

I got tickets for UFC on Fox 6 so I'm extremely pumped for this fight.
Posted Image

#195 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

I got tickets for UFC on Fox 6 so I'm extremely pumped for this fight.

Looks like a pretty good card, Pettis/Cerrone should be a heck of a fight too. Dana put on some good stand-up matches for the Fox card which is a good idea to gain casual fans.

#196 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

So the UFC has officially given Eddie Alvarez a contract offer and now Bellator has two weeks to decide if they want to match it or let Eddie walk. The UFC lightweight division is already pretty loaded and when Gilbert Melendez comes over from Strikeforce and if Eddie comes along that division will be stacked. BJ Penn should come back down to lightweight as well cause he is an undersized welterweight.

Also Eddie Alvarez took a shot at Gilbert Melendez on Twitter on the topic of Melendez calling out Benson Henderson saying

"Why does Gil .M continue to call out people He knows he cant fight. Hes like the HS cheerleader who wants to s*** off every new QB.

Posted Image

#197 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

I don't think Gilbert Melendez will make as big of a splash as he thinks he will,doesn't strike me as the #2 best lightworld in the world.

Just read an interview with Jonathan Brookins.Apparently hes broke and had to sell his house and is moving to India.

#198 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

It must really suck to be Johnny Hendricks right now. Apparently he respects UFC too much or doesn't smoke enough weed.

That guy continues to win me over. Bummer to see a guy with that type of attitude get the short end, hopefully it works out for him.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#199 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

Anyone else going to UFC 156?

Anyone else laughing at Rousey headlining UFC 157?
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#200 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

Anyone else going to UFC 156?

Anyone else laughing at Rousey headlining UFC 157?

Yeah how could Rousey headline over Hendo/Machida?

#201 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Why are Henderson and Machida even fighting in the first place? They both have claims to be title challengers, they were BOTH in line for a title. Henderson got injured, Machida turned it down.

Now it feels like Dana is punishing them both by making them fight to the death for survival. Obviously the loser gets screwed in many more ways than just losing, because he loses his title shot too. In the case of Henderson he may never get another title shot if he loses.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#202 sainrub

sainrub

CAGisdabomb!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Just a reminder fellas.

UFC 155
Facebook Prelims
6:35/3:35P ET/PT

Posted Image
Phil De Fries vs
Todd Duffee

Posted Image
Leonard Garcia vs
Max Holloway

Posted Image
Chris Cariaso vs
John Moraga

FX Prelims
8PM/5PM ET/PT

Posted Image
Brad Pickett vs
Eddie Wineland

Posted Image
Erik Perez vs
Byron Bloodworth

Posted Image
Melvin Guillard vs
Jamie Varner

Posted Image
Michael Johnson vs
Myles Jury

UFC 155 PAY PER VIEW
Dos Santos VS Velasquez
Posted Image
Miller VS Lauzon
Posted Image
Boetsch VS Philippou
Posted Image
Posted Image
Yushin Okami vs
Alan Belcher

Posted Image
Chris Leben vs
Derek Brunson

Edited by sainrub, 29 December 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#203 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

Miller vs. Lauzon just saved this horrible ppv.Possible FOTY and this bout made both guys look like winners.Bloodbath with Lauzon's face looking like a crimson mask.

#204 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

That guy is a gamer, he took a massive beating and kept coming. Props to you Joe.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#205 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

Thoughts from tonight:

Chris Leben is done. I don't even know why the guy is fighting anymore. I guess it's a paycheck, but good God, at least make it look like you're giving an effort. Not impressed with Brunson's cardio either. Had he been fighting almost anyone other than Leben, he probably would have lost.

Alan Belcher had a really stupid fight strategy going against a wrestler. Yeah...throw kicks and pull guard on a guillotine that Okami popped his head out of in less than 5 seconds. He finally figured out it might be wise to try to outbox Okami in the 3rd round, and dropped him. But too little, too late, with all the time and energy wasted with a non-existent attack before that point.

Tim Boetsch has some shitty luck. After getting the better of Philippou in the 1st, he allegedly breaks his hand and then gets poked in the eye. All the credit in the world to Matt Hume though for not being a terrible corner man and actually telling his fighter "It's 1-1. If you want to win this fight, you need to go after him." Then, when Boetsch responds that he can't close the distance because of his eye, Hume asks him point blank "Do you want to stop?" That's how you corner a fighter. Not this ego stroking "You're doing really good! He's afraid of you!" bullshit that most trainers seem to do.

Miller - Lauzon was when the PPV finally started. That fight needs to be shown to every fighter when they sign a contract so they can see what fighting actually is. It's not even about going for the KO constantly...but actively trying to win. As impressed as I was with Miller, I couldn't believe how Lauzon kept coming at him. Even to the very end, he goes all out to try to get a submission. Again, this is worlds different from how some fighters just coast to a loss. FOTN...no question.

Cain gave JDS a hell of a beating. I will say though, I felt Cain started coasting from about the midway point of the 3rd round. He kept getting takedowns, but I didn't really see him as trying to finish the fight. They kept talking up his cardio, but I think he looked pretty damn tired too. Not that I can blame him after the flurry he put on in the first two rounds, but it made for kind of a lackluster ending. I still appreciate the work he did though...and while I like Junior, I'm actually glad Cain won because it sets up the rivalry I've been wanting to see. Hopefully Junior does put in the work to make himself a better fighter, and we see that the next time these two meet. They can easily make each other two of the greatest of all time if they're both willing to work for it.

Overall, not a great card, but it had its moments.

#206 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

Cain is just brutal with how he tore JDS apart.Oddly enough JDS was able to stop most of Cain's takedowns early on but he was just being savaged on the feet.Almost felt like watching a murder with how Cain was just mauling at him.No idea how JDS managed to go to the decision,he wasn't ever in the fight but somehow he managed to limb his way to the finish line.Previously I wasn't that interested in the rematch as I should have been but now with this rubber match I'm super excited to see the trilogy rubbermatch when it does happen.

Looks like the Sherdog season is over.I didn't do so well on this event only getting about half of my picks right but overall I'm pretty proud with it.Ended up at #12 overall out of over 8000 people so I feel like its quite an accomplishment.

#207 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

Thoughts from tonight:

Chris Leben is done. I don't even know why the guy is fighting anymore. I guess it's a paycheck, but good God, at least make it look like you're giving an effort. Not impressed with Brunson's cardio either. Had he been fighting almost anyone other than Leben, he probably would have lost.

Alan Belcher had a really stupid fight strategy going against a wrestler. Yeah...throw kicks and pull guard on a guillotine that Okami popped his head out of in less than 5 seconds. He finally figured out it might be wise to try to outbox Okami in the 3rd round, and dropped him. But too little, too late, with all the time and energy wasted with a non-existent attack before that point.

Tim Boetsch has some shitty luck. After getting the better of Philippou in the 1st, he allegedly breaks his hand and then gets poked in the eye. All the credit in the world to Matt Hume though for not being a terrible corner man and actually telling his fighter "It's 1-1. If you want to win this fight, you need to go after him." Then, when Boetsch responds that he can't close the distance because of his eye, Hume asks him point blank "Do you want to stop?" That's how you corner a fighter. Not this ego stroking "You're doing really good! He's afraid of you!" bullshit that most trainers seem to do.

Miller - Lauzon was when the PPV finally started. That fight needs to be shown to every fighter when they sign a contract so they can see what fighting actually is. It's not even about going for the KO constantly...but actively trying to win. As impressed as I was with Miller, I couldn't believe how Lauzon kept coming at him. Even to the very end, he goes all out to try to get a submission. Again, this is worlds different from how some fighters just coast to a loss. FOTN...no question.

Cain gave JDS a hell of a beating. I will say though, I felt Cain started coasting from about the midway point of the 3rd round. He kept getting takedowns, but I didn't really see him as trying to finish the fight. They kept talking up his cardio, but I think he looked pretty damn tired too. Not that I can blame him after the flurry he put on in the first two rounds, but it made for kind of a lackluster ending. I still appreciate the work he did though...and while I like Junior, I'm actually glad Cain won because it sets up the rivalry I've been wanting to see. Hopefully Junior does put in the work to make himself a better fighter, and we see that the next time these two meet. They can easily make each other two of the greatest of all time if they're both willing to work for it.

Overall, not a great card, but it had its moments.

I agree with everything you said there, honestly.

JDS was able to stuff the early takedowns but was fighting so scared that he wasn't thinking about getting outstruck, something that had never happened to him before. He did the same thing against Mir but Mir posed no threat on the feet, unlike Velasquez. The thing that shocked me was the lack of conditioning displayed by Cain. He should have been able to finish the fight after the first round but appeared to have worn himself out beating up JDS, I guess much like JDS was dead tired against Roy Nelson by the end of their fight. But only one round? C'mon, son.

Leben is shot, really. Nothing much to be said about it at this point.

Belcher's strategy was terrible with pulling guard on the Guillotine (twice) but he couldn't handle Okami's strength and takedown ability. If you can't outwrestle Okami and stuff his takedowns, you lose. Belcher couldn't stop them, so he lost. I expect him to put up more of a fight in the grappling department but alas, Okami is a world class grappler and his top control is elite. The difference between Belcher's top control (of which he was on top three times) and Okami's it just insane.

#208 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

I thought the Boetsch/Phillipou fight was pretty decent. Boetsch just had one of those nights where the fates had him destined to lose.

The Lauzon/Miller fight was awesome. I was pretty sure Cain would win, and I was happy he did. He feels like a much more well-rounded champ than JDS, and I hope he's able to hold on to the title for a little while this time.

I missed the Varner/Guillard fight, but what the hell happened? 2 of the judges game all three rounds to Varner, and the other judge gave all 3 to Guillard? I'm gonna have to read up on that one.

#209 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Pfft, Guillard got owned. He was waaaaay too tenative on the feet and got not only outstruck but taken down multiple times. He absolutely lost the fight and whoever scored the fight 30-27 for Guillard is apparently Melvin's boyfriend.

#210 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Byrd forgot to write "Varner = White" and "Guillard = Black" on her hands. Or maybe she just remembered the latter.

Shock of shocks Cecil Peoples was a judge for the fight and wasn't the one that fucked it up.