XBLIG Xbox Live Indie Games discussion

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 seppuku

seppuku

too many games, not enough time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

I tried the demo for Bleed, and I must say it's pretty damn awesome. However, Given the current size of my backlog, and the fact that I rarely pay more than 400 msp for even XBLA games, for now I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a sale or price drop on that one. (Biology Battle is in the same boat for me.)
XBLA wish list: Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds, Double Dragon Neon...
Xbox 360 wish list: Diablo III

#32 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

I tried the demo for Bleed, and I must say it's pretty damn awesome. However, Given the current size of my backlog, and the fact that I rarely pay more than 400 msp for even XBLA games, for now I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a sale or price drop on that one. (Biology Battle is in the same boat for me.)

Bleed is one of the few I would put down 400 MSP for.

Also I'll have few recommendations and such probably next weekend, as some new indies worth playing cropped up and some others I can't recommend, since they looked promising, but were total crap or didn't live up to the potential.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#33 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I bought Arcade Craft and got really hooked into it.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#34 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Did they ever change the DRM that made you be signed into Live to play the full versions of these games or do the ones you've purchased still show up as demos offline?

#35 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

A real quick update, on a few newer (and older) demos I played this weekend for the first time or gave another chance too. Please forgive me if I mention some of these again, but that shouldn't matter too much I wouldn't think)

battle high 2 - nice little indie fighting game, some people adore it, I found it lacking, still for $1 you can't go too wrong. I personally won't get it though.
ascent of kings - nice little platformer where you play as the youngest son who must transverse a bunch of obstacles to become the new king. Simple, challenging and most importantly fun, get it.
dlc quest live freemium or die - the sequel to DLC quest, same charm as the original and just as tongue in cheek, if you like the original, why wait, its 80 points, making it a no brainer to get.
don't die pluto - I have a soft spot for pluto this game is essentially take Pluto eat Asteroids smaller than you, grow bigger and dodge missles fired from Earth, can't really recommend it, nice music, interesting premise, boring gameplay though.
end of days survivor - wow, this game stunk. Essentially a FPS survivor game with timed rounds. Problem is running out of ammo constantly, getting ammo is a pain in the ass and take much of the fun out of the game, recommendation, no buy.
explosionade - Didn't get tp play it again for a new impression, when I do I'll repost my impressions.
king swing - Imagine Jungle Hunt with realistic physics sound fun, no? That's because it's not, so don't buy it.
loot grinder - Did you ever want to play Final Fantasy but hated the story and loved the constant active time combat, yeah me neither....but if you were the one oddball then this game is for you. Cannot recommend, just too simple and there are many other RPG's on XBLIG that do it better for the same price.
mythos castle - A fairy (who can fly), a warrior and a wizard explore a castle searching for something, (didn't read the story) long story short, it's ugly, plays boring (you have limited magic and life that I can't figure how to increase), and kept my attention all of 5 minutes, even with the ability to fly past everything with the fairy I was still bored. I'm not recommending this to anyone.
rad raygun - I really, really wanted to like this game, it just seems like a cheap Gameboy Mono knock-off of Mega Man, if it controlled better (which is a hallmark of MM) I'd recommend it fully, only a small recommendation from me, just know what you're buying, an unpolished MM clone.
quiet please - new impressions coming soon.
the deep cave - Abel Hawkins meet your new competition, unless you have patience for cheap deaths stay away. Nice quirky little platforming game, but I can't recommend it to more than genre fans.
the wall - what's to say other than it feels like missile command with zombies, only not as much fun, no recommendation.
Curse of the Cresent Ilse - (RE-Review) I replayed the demo and it grew on me, so I go from no buy to recommend to buy, if you enjoyed 8-bit NES puzzle and skill platformers .
Hepposki - (I actually mentioned it above) - Cute JPN'ese sidescroller with a sword (spear and axe later) wielding warrior who fights across the levels killing enemies dodging death traps and all manner of monsters. Nice little title, but very light recommendation from me. 80 pts.
Chronicles of the Fairy - Another JPN'ese game, you play as a little fairy who collects stars, bells and 4-leaf clovers, dodges obstacles of all kinds and goes to an exit. Still with me yet...sounds boring, but its actually quite good, really nice graphics and music, quite challenging, looks like it's only six stages though, still for $1 one could do would. Medium recommendation

Indie Gamer Chick reviewed the fairy game and a few others check it out.

Every week or two I'll try and update this thread with my impressions of the latest and greatest of the XBLIG.
Until then.

Did they ever change the DRM that made you be signed into Live to play the full versions of these games or do the ones you've purchased still show up as demos offline?

I'm not sure, I stumbled onto thinking they might have not as I got logged out of my account the other day and could not launch one of the games I d/l'ed, so I can't say for sure, without unplugging my ethernet cable and trying one of the XBLIG games I own. Will look into clarfying that for you.

Edited by uncle5555, 27 March 2013 - 10:31 AM.

The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#36 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Is anyone still interested in my updates on new XBLIG games? I'll continue to post updates if the interest is there, but if not, I'll stop (if no one is reading)

I know on the deals section there is a thread that pops up every now and again for those interested.

Reason I'm asking is a time issue mostly, plus I was hoping for a bit more back and forth with XBLIG fans and maybe finding out about a few games here and there I might have overlooked or not heard about before.

#37 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm just finding that most of the XBLIG that interest me, are all turning up for Humble and Groupees bundles. Hard to drop $1-$5 on a game when you can get 5 or so for the same price

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#38 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Is anyone still interested in my updates on new XBLIG games? I'll continue to post updates if the interest is there, but if not, I'll stop (if no one is reading)

I like your updates. disagree with a number of them but it helps a lot with discovery.

#39 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I like your updates. disagree with a number of them but it helps a lot with discovery.

Fair enough, I don't have the same taste as everyone, but as they say I know what I like. ;)

Will resume hopefully this weekend, but still would like to hear some back and forth on updates and about some games that others found I know nothing about. Which is a big reason I'm looking for feedback. :)

I'm just finding that most of the XBLIG that interest me, are all turning up for Humble and Groupees bundles. Hard to drop $1-$5 on a game when you can get 5 or so for the same price

Agreed, but many of these are XBLIG exclusives, so...

Also I do agree, but Wizorb for instance, I already have on Humble Bundle and was still interested in dropping $1 to get the X360 version just cause it was more convenient. Getting harder for me to play on PC, not sure why.

#40 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I like "A Voxel Action" but the game to play is "Vorpal". I can't believe you uncle, only for completionists. Give me a break, "Vorpal" is 80 points and a steal at that. It's a great bullet hell shmup. Period.
I do agree with you on "Prismatic Solid" though. Loving that game, there's just something about it.

For the educational stuff "Let's Learn Japanese" isn't bad but some things definitely need fixing. Besides just the meaning of the Kanji some need clarification as they look redundant but it might be dependent on one being polite or not. There's also something to be said for having certain readings show up and displaying the appropriate on and kunyomi for them.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#41 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

I'd recommend Miner Dig Deep. It's a lot like Terraria, with a little less depth (pun not intended). If you ever found yourself trying to mine the whole screen in DigDug, you'll probably like it:)

I came here to post this. It's the 1 XBLIG I always wholeheartedly recommend whenever they get brought up.

I was really, really hooked into this game years ago before the whole Minecraft explosion.

#42 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

I like "A Voxel Action" but the game to play is "Vorpal". I can't believe you uncle, only for completionists. Give me a break, "Vorpal" is 80 points and a steal at that. It's a great bullet hell shmup. Period.
I do agree with you on "Prismatic Solid" though. Loving that game, there's just something about it.

For the educational stuff "Let's Learn Japanese" isn't bad but some things definitely need fixing. Besides just the meaning of the Kanji some need clarification as they look redundant but it might be dependent on one being polite or not. There's also something to be said for having certain readings show up and displaying the appropriate on and kunyomi for them.

I call'em like I see'em, Vorpal was cheap looking and not much fun to me. There are much better alternatives (Snops Attack for instance) on XBLIG which is why I said only for Shmup completionists (or apologists more accurately) (which I don't consider myself one, even though I love the genre) Since those people will play anything the scrolls and even if it sucks will have good things to say about it.

I'm all about quality over quantity. ;)

Prismatic Solid is unique was developed by veteran game developer, which is why it has the polished feel to it.

Apparently they developed 4 XBLIG games (check the website for links)

http://www.heloli.com/

Interview with developer found here.
http://www.armlessoc...rismatic-solid/

(impressive resume, if I do say myself)

And lastly about the Japanese learning games, I know they aren't perfect, since they cost all of $1, it was more about getting the word out for those people that might be interested then look into better sources to learn if they found that useful. ;)