Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

• Please log in to reply
4442 replies to this topic

#1441 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Come to think of it, I think I have only seen two pawn shops in my entire life.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#1442 wrencrest

wrencrest

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Laws like that exist to discourage/prevent pawn shops from opening. Its quite possible there aren't any pawn shops in city limits.

Note I have no knowledge of tampa politics or laws. The above is not meant as an absolute truth.

There are plenty of pawn shops in tampa city limits. So I am sure there is something i am missing. I have a feeling the Best Buys in Tampa are taking a conservative approach to whatever law they think they need to abide by.

Sucker born every minute

Wrencrest.png

#1443 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

I tried to trade in my copy of borderlands 2 I bought from Amazon last year in store yesterday and was told bestbuy doesn't accept trade-ins for games bought elsewhere. This was my first time attempting a trade-in at bestbuy so I was unaware that was a thing

This is true of some stores and an issue covered in the op.

Some places have pawn laws, and whats more, and who ever said it is right, many of those laws were created to keep new pawn shops from opening. You may see a lot of pawn shops in your city and wonder why it is Best Buy has to do things such a weird way, but those pawn shops were likely grandfathered in or got some sort of special licensing or some crap. Gamestop gets away with it because they really only sell games/gaming devices and accessories and are a "specialty" store. If Best Buy had stores exclusively for gaming they'd probably be able to do the same thing.

Edited by BudzMcGee, 21 February 2013 - 02:53 AM.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#1444 mikepeluso

mikepeluso

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Really? I have never ran into that requirement. They do swipe your ID and scan your fingerprint though. Maybe you didn't present your ID?

I am in California and in the San Fernando Valley and of the 3 stores closet to me, one doesn't do trade in's, one only takes the game if you have a receipt proving it was bought at Best Buy and the last one does do all trade in's.
The store that does the trade in's is the farthest away from me so it is a pain in the ass that the other stores don't.
So sadunk is right that parts of California have this problem.

#1445 nas6034

nas6034

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

If gamestop is in the same area and they take games without receipt then why can't Bestbuy? Well it is probably because there is a lobby that is making sure Bestbuy doesn't get all the pawn papers to become a "stronger competitor".

#1446 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I may be blind, but I cant seem to find the BBY to GS flip thread and the GS to BBY flip thread. Can someone spot me the link (or did they get moderated)? Thanks.

Currently playing:

Battlefield 3

ME3MP 
Fire Emblem: Awakening

My Strategy Guide TradeList

#1447 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

If gamestop is in the same area and they take games without receipt then why can't Bestbuy? Well it is probably because there is a lobby that is making sure Bestbuy doesn't get all the pawn papers to become a "stronger competitor".

I literally talked about this two post above yours...

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#1448 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I may be blind, but I cant seem to find the BBY to GS flip thread and the GS to BBY flip thread. Can someone spot me the link (or did they get moderated)? Thanks.

Too lazy to grab the link, but it's now called the "Game Trade Thread" under the Deal Discussions/Bragging Rights forum.

#1449 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Too lazy to grab the link, but it's now called the "Game Trade Thread" under the Deal Discussions/Bragging Rights forum.

I was blind, thanks!

#1450 DealSeeker2U

DealSeeker2U

Seize the deal!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

Metal Gear Rising and Crysis 3 have been added to trade in database. Both have a base value of $18.

#1451 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

anyone hear talks about a 50% trade bonus or any after tomorrow?

#1452 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

anyone hear talks about a 50% trade bonus or any after tomorrow?

Well the 100% is set to end tomorrow.

#1453 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Well the 100% is set to end tomorrow.

which is why I asked. I guess I might have to head out to do some trades

#1454 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Metal Gear Rising and Crysis 3 have been added to trade in database. Both have a base value of $18.

I'd expect that to be the norm from now on wonder will it go up when there's 50% bonus. $22-$24 maybe

#1455 albwrong

albwrong

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Just tried to trade in games a few minutes ago, the system is now showing 50% bonus. Screwed up what I wanted to do to move credit there.

#1456 sninh

sninh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Is the 100% still active along with the 50%?

#1457 albwrong

albwrong

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Is the 100% still active along with the 50%?

No only one is active at a time.

#1458 kellte2

kellte2

Powerful Stroke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Just tried to trade in games a few minutes ago, the system is now showing 50% bonus. Screwed up what I wanted to do to move credit there.

I had the same experience. They gave me the 50% but all these hiccups in the system prevented me from getting the rest on a gift card. I was told to come back later. Big hassle.

#1459 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

thank god, i read this thread before heading out. I have some old games that would only be worth it to trade in if it is still 100%, not 50%

#1460 PhilsUtley26

PhilsUtley26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

It was 100% for me, but scanner didn't work for my gift card so they said go to the other store. Don't have time for that till next week so hopefully the TIV doesn't drop that much.

#1461 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Best Buy sure is dropping the ball with tivs, pre orders, price matches. i loved best buy but they are shooting themselves in the foot lately and making me want to cash out my credit.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#1462 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've never done a Best Buy trade in. Does this bonus credit happen automatically or do you have to request it or be one of the paying members of their magazine? Where do you take the game, customer service, geek squad, somewhere else?

#1463 PhilsUtley26

PhilsUtley26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I've never done a Best Buy trade in. Does this bonus credit happen automatically or do you have to request it or be one of the paying members of their magazine? Where do you take the game, customer service, geek squad, somewhere else?

You get a gift card and extra 10% if gamers unlock. You go to the gaming section.

Lately their TIV have been lacking and machines down. Dare I say I'm going back to Gamestop. Not gonna preorder any game besides Last of Us with PS4 no backwards compatibility so $20 cert doesn't do much for me.

#1464 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

hmm if there are problems with the 100% bonus being 50% at some places perhaps that means a 50% bonus would start tomorrow. hopefully that's the case and recent games are given a bump to $24

#1465 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Best Buy sure is dropping the ball with tivs, pre orders, price matches. i loved best buy but they are shooting themselves in the foot lately and making me want to cash out my credit.

HAha, I love it when dudes say they're going to cash out all their BB credit that they most likely amassed from flipping games and shit because they don't like the new policies. Sorry you can't profit off BB anymore, I'm sure they'll miss you and your credit if you do decide to go that route. :lol:

#1466 hobomatt

hobomatt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

just got back from best buy and traded in 3 games without any issues...got the extra 100% bonus too, so if there were issues earlier then it looks like they got resolved.

#1467 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yes they are shooting themselves in the foot and cutting their losses, they'd rather move less merchandise than make minimal profit off flippers like you anyway.

#1468 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

What difference does it make if someone bought a game just to flip it to BB or if someone bought a game, played it, then trades it to best buy? their profit margin is the same either way.

#1469 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

What difference does it make if someone bought a game just to flip it to BB or if someone bought a game, played it, then trades it to best buy? their profit margin is the same either way.

Volume.

#1470 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I can see that with like gamestop but since You can only trade in 3 of the same game before getting a ban, shouldnt really be that big of an issue.