Dark Souls Hardcover Official Strategy Guide [Future Press] $4.99/$4.50 GameStop B&M

PimpBot2000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Not available online, but you can use the online page to check which stores have it in stock. I picked one up earlier today, still marked $16.99 on the shrinkwrap. PUR members get 10% off strategy guides, so $4.50 after discount.

http://www.gamestop.com/strategy-guides/dark-souls-official-strategy-guide/93066

darksoulsosg.jpg

[quote name='chunlirocks']They can't give these outdated guides away[/QUOTE]

I bought one the other day along with a soul calibur 5 hardcover for $4.50 each.

I'm crazy though. I miss penny guides so much I'll pay $4.50 on any new hardcover guide to get my fix.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']While supposedly it's "worthless" because some weapon stats have changed, this guide is gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of that though, is it useful?

[quote name='JediDeath']With the exception of that though, is it useful?[/QUOTE]

Some of the walkthroughs of the levels are a little off now because of some minor changes, but nothing major. An enemy might be in a different spot or something. Also, the boss tips should still be pretty helpful. I mainly used it on my second playthrough when I wanted to make sure I picked up every single item and I think those maps are still helpful.

Also, for certain sidequests, although you might have to jump back and forth between sections, it tells you how to properly do them.

I don't really remember too much more though because it's been awhile since I used it.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Some of the walkthroughs of the levels are a little off now because of some minor changes, but nothing major. An enemy might be in a different spot or something. Also, the boss tips should still be pretty helpful. I mainly used it on my second playthrough when I wanted to make sure I picked up every single item and I think those maps are still helpful.

Also, for certain sidequests, although you might have to jump back and forth between sections, it tells you how to properly do them.

I don't really remember too much more though because it's been awhile since I used it.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks. Now let's hope that my local store has it.

Damn. Bought it for 10 when it launched and thought I should have gotten two. Good thing I didn't. Still have it sealed along with my dark souls ce. Need to open this bad boy up.

When did this Gamestop hold in store feature happen? I was able to have the store hold it for me without even using my credit card. That's awesome.

Thank you OP. Also, be sure to ask your GamesStop employee if it shows "low stock" on the inventory checker and you don't see it. Mine had to grab this from the back room...

The maps alone make it worth it to have while playing. I guess they printed so many that it didn't become a rare collector's item like everyone assumed it would

The guide is amazing to look at. But the maps, for me, were tough to match up with the actual environment in some cases. The elevation changes weren't as clear to me as I've seen in other guides. Had a tough time in the Tomb of Giants mainly. However, the NPC sections and walkthrough information was excellent and I didn't pay much attention to the armor and weapons specs. Stuck with black leather armor, black knight shield and enchanted/lightning winged spears through my 2.5 playthroughs to platinum.

All that said, at 4.50, it should be a no brainer if you're going to play Dark Souls.

Yeah, I'm picking up SoulCalibur V hardcover guide for $4.99 after work. The OP could add that too! =)

Much like the Dark Souls guide, some parts of the SCV guide are now inaccurate due to a balancing patch. I still think there will be plenty of useful info in there, plus it's a nice collector item.

Sweet deal supposedly a local store has one.. did the confirm pickup will see if it goes through.

I also only got one and wanted to do 2. Gld i didnt now.

This one will stay sealed.

Thanks OP.

Anyone know if the SCV guide is worth getting? I know the game had a few rebalance patches so I afraid the info in the guide might not be to helpful if i get it now.

[quote name='LeXxX']Anyone know if the SCV guide is worth getting? I know the game had a few rebalance patches so I afraid the info in the guide might not be to helpful if i get it now.[/QUOTE]

Still works amazingly well, I'm playing through the game again now and using the guide. Though...maybe not so much after the next patch and DLC, lots of nerfs coming.

Though I mostly got it for maps and item locations and such

[quote name='bob330i']The guide is amazing to look at. But the maps, for me, were tough to match up with the actual environment in some cases. The elevation changes weren't as clear to me as I've seen in other guides. Had a tough time in the Tomb of Giants mainly. However, the NPC sections and walkthrough information was excellent and I didn't pay much attention to the armor and weapons specs. Stuck with black leather armor, black knight shield and enchanted/lightning winged spears through my 2.5 playthroughs to platinum.

All that said, at 4.50, it should be a no brainer if you're going to play Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

Same here with the armor/weapon specs. Armor is pretty much useless in the Souls games anyways. The idea is not to get hit at all. Sure, the better armors allow you to take more hits but they generally make it harder for you to be mobile so you're going to take more hits anyways. It's better just to learn how to dodge.

For weapons, at least for me, it was always more important in how fast/slow they were when they were being used and their moveset. The specs can't really talk about that.

Thanks to OP and the guy who mentioned that the SCV hardcover guide was 5 bucks too. I was able to pick up both... for no reason whatsoever.

At least they look nice.

Damn all 3 of my stores had them in stock this morning but sold out by the time I got off work. I hate Mondays, thanks anyways OP.

So, I went to the only gamestop close to me that had the guide in-stock on the gamestop website, but when i asked the employee he said they gave them all away for free if you bought the pc version of the game a few weeks ago. I'm kinda sad, I really wanted that guide.

IDK why but after work I ended up stopping by GameStop and picking up the last copy of the Dark Souls strategy guide... I hope I actually use this one unlike the last 7 strategy guides I have purchased, lol. If not ill just gift it to my friend who is obsessed with that game, anyways thanks OP.

After having gotten this guide while still early on in the game I'm going to say it was useless.

At the time I got the strategy guide the patch had already updated so really the guide will confuse you on many things if you try to go by it.

I don't have my platinum yet but I used all my walkthroughs on gamefaqs and youtube.

As useless as its been for me its the nicest strategy guide I own which for me isn't a make or breaking point anyway. With online guides so easy to access I'm pretty much done buying strategy guides. Speciially nowadays when games get patches and it just totally changes everything.

When I got the guide I got it knowing the patch had came out I just thought that I would be able to at least get something out of it. Its basically a art book to look at, not a good one either.
Half the people here sound like they are getting it for nothing but to collect. That's about all you can do with it because the guides you find online are 10x better.

bread's done
Back