Dishonored

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'm shocked to see there is no thread for this. Drops tomorrow and its getting great reviews.

Eurogamer: 80
Gametrailers: 87
Game Informer: 88
Destructoid: 90
Gamespot: 90
IGN: 92

Anyone going to be picking this up?

Posted Image

#2 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Equally shocked as well. These days anything with Bethesda's name on it is an instabuy for me. Definitely copping it tomorrow.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#3 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

I will be renting it.

#4 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Only 1st person? Damn.

#5 teddybass

teddybass

Minor Threat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hopefully it'll show up at my local kmart tomorrow so I can get it with the $15 gaming coupon...

minorthreat.png

#6 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

This looks cool. This and xcom: Enemy unknown. Came outta nowhere for me

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#7 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Tempted to pick it up but I'm not too sure. I probably wouldn't play it more than twice so that kills the value for me. I might just get it from Redbox for a couple of days.

#8 Action!

Action!

Animatah.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Been planning to buy this all year. This only makes it better.

I draw sometimes.

Trade List

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#9 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Equally shocked as well. These days anything with Bethesda's name on it is an instabuy for me. Definitely copping it tomorrow.

I felt the same way. Until... Brink.

Seriously tho, I think this game was the one I looked forward to the most this year once Bioshock got pushed back to 2013. Excited to see the positive press too because I was a little worried after trying a Dark Messiah M&M play through (Arkanes first an only major release).

And Xcom got some damn fine reviews too. I may have to check that out. I watched a developers video earlier today and I'm intrigued.

#10 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

I preordered it at BB, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I don't think I'll be playing it right away, though. My plan is to finish what I'm playing now (Sleeping Dogs) in time for AC III, then jump into Dishonored after I finish that.

Anyway, I have been looking forward to Dishonored. Glad to hear it's getting good reviews.
Posted Image

#11 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

I felt the same way. Until... Brink.

I'm relatively convinced that I'm the only poster here who legitimately enjoyed Brink, but I was smart enough to wait a year for the price to drop and patches to smooth over the lag. Far from perfect yet well worth the few dollars I spent on my copy and I'll more than likely support a sequel.

I'm still pretty damn salty about Infinite getting delayed this year. It had better be a f*cking GOTY masterpiece when the time comes.

#12 Rhett

Rhett

Global Defense Initiative

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm relatively convinced that I'm the only poster here who legitimately enjoyed Brink, but I was smart enough to wait a year for the price to drop and patches to smooth over the lag. Far from perfect yet well worth the few dollars I spent on my copy and I'll more than likely support a sequel.

I'm still pretty damn salty about Infinite getting delayed this year. It had better be a f*cking GOTY masterpiece when the time comes.

I enjoyed Brink, too. I also paid $60 for it on release... I think I got most of my money back, but I definitely still want to pick up a copy on the cheap in the near future. Games with decent bots are hard to come by.

/off topic from Dishonored
Steam: Rhett816

#13 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Just finished the first chapter. This game is awesome. I can already tell it's going to be something I will play multiple times through just because of the variety of gameplay options.

I appreciate how your actions rather than your narrative choices impact the game world. I think well be seeing more of this approach to morality in the future (vs the static 'red' or 'blue' response etc)

Honestly I think I just had my hopes too high for Brink and the community died too quickly to really enjoy all the game had.

#14 koalak

koalak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Dishonored: Every Safe Location And Combination
GameShampoo username: lokik
Playing:
Rift: lvl 14 Rogue (Ranger/Marksman/Saboteur)
WoW: lvl 57 Hunter (Beast Master)

#15 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Just finished the first chapter. This game is awesome. I can already tell it's going to be something I will play multiple times through just because of the variety of gameplay options.

I appreciate how your actions rather than your narrative choices impact the game world. I think well be seeing more of this approach to morality in the future (vs the static 'red' or 'blue' response etc)

Honestly I think I just had my hopes too high for Brink and the community died too quickly to really enjoy all the game had.

Same here... I knew after the first chapter I would love this game. Just finished the second mission... I love the variety of different ways this game gives you as far as assassinating, getting from point A to point B etc. If your into stealth games, this is a must get and even if your not(I like them them but i'm not crazy about them) still check this out.
Posted Image

#16 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

glad to hear some positive feedback, definitely gonna be interested at the $30-$40 range this holiday.

#17 hustletron

hustletron

poop dollar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

Is there any MP? I heard both yes and no for some reason. Not really a deal breaker or not, I'll probably wait a bit for it to drop as well, just curious if there was also an MP component. Glad to hear its fun.

fs_overall.png

#18 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

I'm certain there is no multiplayer.

Did anyone else get the tarot cards when you picked up your game today? I think you had to pre-order. This was at Gamestop by the way...not sure if there doing it at other places. I didn't even know you got those so that was a nice surprise.
Posted Image

#19 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Unless for some ungodly reason this game literally just gets so bad the last part of the game (I mean with bugs that it's unplayable), Dishonored is my GOTY. Then again Deus Ex HR was my GOTY last year so it's no question I love open ended games like Deus Ex.

Second on the list is Sleeping Dogs, but Dishonored still looks to top it.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#20 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

After Bethesda totally fucked up on Skyrim DLC's for the PS3 I'll pass on anything even remotely related to that company. Could be the best game ever made, still passing since it has a Bethesda logo on it.
Praxus_07.png

#21 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Your loss maam.

#22 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Game looks great, but I literally have no money for this right now. I reckon it might suffer slightly with the other big titles coming up so will possibly drop in price by the time I can afford it.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#23 hustletron

hustletron

poop dollar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

After Bethesda totally fucked up on Skyrim DLC's for the PS3 I'll pass on anything even remotely related to that company. Could be the best game ever made, still passing since it has a Bethesda logo on it.

No offense but that logic is pretty flawed, but that's yours and your money so to each their own.

The game is pretty fun so far, there's slightly more depth in the first chapter or two than I find in most FPS.

I made it to
Spoiler

fs_overall.png

#24 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Buy it used, Bethesda makes no money on a second sale.

#25 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

For those of you still on the fence Kmart is giving a $15 gaming coupon this week with purchase and you don't need to be a SYWR card member for it. I would have had no idea if hadn't bothered to check the receipt I was going to throw away a few seconds ago. I plan to use mine for ACIII.

#26 Survivalism

Survivalism

CAG's Lance Boyle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

No offense but that logic is pretty flawed, but that's yours and your money so to each their own.

Why is it flawed? That's the proper way to boycott a company. Not the internet way.

#27 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm thinking about picking this up. I didn't know anything about it until the positive reviews started coming in - anything that is comparable to Bioshock sounds good to me.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#28 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

This game is fantastic for players like me who have always found easier routes to a particular destination but could never use them. It sort of plays like a better Bioshock, but not quite and certainly lacks the same atmosphere. To be fair though I doubt any game could come close to replicating the latter. Currently I have a couple of huge issues with it at the moment: Lack of non-lethal hand to hand options in combat, scarcity of non-lethal item drops, and the god damn gray colored microsized text on standard definition sets. If I have to constantly backtrack to HQ for shop access then that's another strike against it.

The lot of which are slowly starting to irritate the f*ck out of me, but not enough to stop playing entirely. The severe lack of non-lethal combat options however is coming pretty damn close. It just flat out doesn't make any sense providing a playstyle attached to achievements and the ending, but only lending support for a defensive approach. Much more nonsensical for a game praised for allowing players near endless freedom of approach.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd rather permanently kill or knock a guard the hell out than sneak past and have to deal with him on the way out. Currently the non-lethal player has three options - Choke/Dart, Distract, Never Get Caught/Run Away And Hide Until You Get Another Opportunity To Choke/Dart.

It's completely f*cking ridiculous for any assassin to be locked out of bare Hand to Hand combat in any situation. Everything else besides this point though is more or less golden so I'm glad I bought it.

#29 Action!

Action!

Animatah.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

It's completely f*cking ridiculous for any assassin to be locked out of bare Hand to Hand combat in any situation. Everything else besides this point though is more or less golden so I'm glad I bought it.

I hugely agree with this point. Despite all of the good this game is bringing, the little bad things are pretty grating.

I've gone back to a few chapters to try more lethal approaches and I still find the combat to be pretty miserable. The close range fire breathing attack is garbage and there's no real point in providing attack anticipation from enemies if they can just clip through each other and seemingly everything else.

When it comes to sneaking and power usage though, I adore it. Guess I just won't get caught!

I draw sometimes.

Trade List

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#30 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

LOL. That's pretty much what the developers are telling you: "Don't get caught without full mana or a weapon equipped! ...Or you're screwed." Because of this the Clean Hands achievement shouldn't exist along with a few others. I'm glad I decided before the epilogue to dedicate my initial playthrough to it. All of my money is being spent on potions, Crossbow upgrades and Sleep Darts.

Seriously though... could you imagine the life expectancy of any assassin who couldn't kill, knockout, disarm, etc. without a weapon? He can sure put a MEAN sleeper hold on ya though but only if he's parallel to you! Oh shit... we've found his other weakness! Quick! Backs to the wall boys! Turn to your side or keep facing forward! We've got him now!

Oh man... this is priceless. Almost as funny as a guard clocking me in face with a rock after I scaled a pipe and starting teabagging it in front of him. This game has potential but man I have to wonder how they all signed off on what appears to be such a glaring oversight.