$1-month Xbox LIVE Gold (still ALIVE -- even for beta users!) [for Silver members]

TXboxGuY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Not sure if this is widely known but ever since beta users began using the new dashboard it seems that ALL deals and advertisements have disappeared from our screens. I know I was usually getting a $1/month Gold offer each time my sub. would expire and I would revert back to a FREE Silver Membership.

Hopefully, this will help some of you out as I have just stumbled across it tonight.

Upon trying to download the new Gamespot video app. on my Silver account, I was alerted on screen that the download would only work if I were a Gold member. I clicked to "UPGRADE" and followed the prompts that after a couple of clicks brought me to a screen with 6 offers.

12 Months $60
3 Months $25
Redeem Code

1 Month $1

Thanks OP!

Did anyone else successfully get the one month free after choosing "No thanks?" I definitely don't mind paying $1 for a month, but free would be even better.

Are you sure the free month was offered from dashboard and not your own console? Every new Xbox comes with two or three free 1-month trials and you might just not have used up yours.

The profile that I'm using was created in 2006.

I reverted to Silver in mid-August during which time I had the beta dashboard.

My tenure number on my gamercard was at 5 "years". Earlier this year I did take a $1/month AND a $2/2 months offers on the same account.

My console is also a refurb unit that I purchased back in March to replace my old RROD system.

I too was offered the one month free but could not get my credit card info to be accepted. I defaulted back to the $1/1 month option and that already had my payment info saved which worked fine.

[quote name='XzMrHitDatHoezX']No dice on my end it still tries to charge me $9.99 for 1 month[/QUOTE]

Same, but tried with the Paramount movie app.

I did this and got the free trial for a month and then did it again for the $1 for 1 month for a total of 2 months for $1! Thanks op!

[quote name='ihatemyhonda']I did this and got the free trial for a month and then did it again for the $1 for 1 month for a total of 2 months for $1! Thanks op![/QUOTE]

Did you specifically download the gamespot app?

I just followed the OPs instructions and it doesn't NOT work.

I just followed them and the instructions did work. It was specifically the gamespot app, and after clicking through a lot of prompts, I saw the 90% off deal near the bottom of the options. Thanks, OP!

[quote name='Baldur']I just followed them and the instructions did work. It was specifically the gamespot app, and after clicking through a lot of prompts, I saw the 90% off deal near the bottom of the options. Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

Can you detail how you found it?

I downloaded the app. Installed. Ran it. Clicked a video a and a prompt popped up saying I needed gold. Options were family or regular. Tried both, cheapest option was $9.99.

Decided to turn on my xbox to try and take advantage of this deal and got myself another e68 error...

[quote name='Romeo']Did you specifically download the gamespot app?

I just followed the OPs instructions and it doesn't NOT work.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did exactly what the OP did both times I attempted to download the gamespot tv app. I can see that it's not working for everyone so ymmv?

[quote name='ihatemyhonda']Yes, I did exactly what the OP did both times I attempted to download the gamespot tv app. I can see that it's not working for everyone so ymmv?[/QUOTE]

At what point does the option appear, before even running the app or after you're already in it?

[quote name='Romeo']Can you detail how you found it?

I downloaded the app. Installed. Ran it. Clicked a video a and a prompt popped up saying I needed gold. Options were family or regular. Tried both, cheapest option was $9.99.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem... is it dead already? Doesn't seem very likely though.

After reading the original post it seems to me that this may be for people with the new beta dashboard? I'm not signed up for the beta and can not get this to work.

I am able to download the gamespot app without any prompt and don't get any offer for a trial when I try to watch a video. Has anybody not in the beta been able to get this to work?

It would be nice to get this as I see that the Toy Soldiers games and dlc are on sale. My gold just expired and I'm hesitant to resub as I practically never play online anymore on my 360 and am mainly on my PS3.

[quote name='ihatemyhonda']I did this and got the free trial for a month and then did it again for the $1 for 1 month for a total of 2 months for $1! Thanks op![/QUOTE]
Once you start the trial then wouldn't the app just download and install now that you're a gold member. I don't see how this would work.

Sweet. I was just getting a little frustrated that I didn't have the money to renew Live right now. This totally worked. If they keep these offers going for silver members, I might just do this to renew until Microsoft gets wise.

I couldn't get it to work. I have a Silver now since my Gold expired last week. I was able to download the app no problem. After I tried to download other Gold only apps such as Hulu and Netflix but all they gave were the regular options to upgrade. 9.99 for a month...

[quote name='patcrazystar64']I couldn't get it to work. I have a Silver now since my Gold expired last week. I was able to download the app no problem. After I tried to download other Gold only apps such as Hulu and Netflix but all they gave were the regular options to upgrade. 9.99 for a month...[/QUOTE]

Do any other accounts on your console have the Gamespot app. already installed?

I have several accounts on my Xbox and NONE of them have the app. installed even though one is a new created Gold account which is running the 1-month trial for FREE.

[quote name='EliteCaboose117']Was offered 2 months of live for $2 on the dashboard about 2 weeks ago after my gold expired, of course i took it.[/QUOTE]

I did that six notes straight, from February until July. It hasn't come back in the past three months.

[quote name='Jeff Stephen']Once you start the trial then wouldn't the app just download and install now that you're a gold member. I don't see how this would work.[/QUOTE]

That's true but I logged on Xbox.com and it shows that my account now expires on 12/13/2012. So I'm guessing it worked somehow.

I can't believe this dude has been registered since 2004 and posts things almost everyone who's been here for over a year already knows about. I got in on this in 2009, man, and it was old news back then.

This worked. I said "No thanks" and I got a free month after entering credit info. Problem is, I see NO WAY to turn off Auto Renewal under accounts unless I just delete my card? Not sure what to do here for next month!

[quote name='mopar-man']This worked. I said "No thanks" and I got a free month after entering credit info. Problem is, I see NO WAY to turn off Auto Renewal under accounts unless I just delete my card? Not sure what to do here for next month![/QUOTE]

You have to log on to xbox.com in order to turn off auto-renewal.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to report that I just got a one-month trial using the method described in the OP. I tried this a couple of weeks ago, and it did not work then. I believe that the reason, as others have suspected, is that you need the new dashboard to get this offer for a one-month trial or one month for one dollar.

So, if you tried this before without success, give it another try after installing the new dashboard.

Also, this offer isn't limited to the GameSpot app. I got the offer when I tried to install the Netflix app.

Thanks, OP.

[quote name='11440']Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to report that I just got a one-month trial using the method described in the OP. I tried this a couple of weeks ago, and it did not work then. I believe that the reason, as others have suspected, is that you need the new dashboard to get this offer for a one-month trial or one month for one dollar.

So, if you tried this before without success, give it another try after installing the new dashboard.

Also, this offer isn't limited to the GameSpot app. I got the offer when I tried to install the Netflix app.

Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

All true and confirmed. New dashboard required. The old dashboard lets you download but not ue apps. The new dashboard won't even allow a download without XBL gold.

My XBL GOLD just ran out and I am waiting for one of those $35-$40 deals for the 12 mo. membership instead of paying the full $60. So found this thread and followed what the OP stated and it worked! It offered me the 1 mo for $1 and I refused with NO THANKS, and then it offered the 1 mo free which I got.

Went into my XBL account on the website and turned off Auto Renewal too, worked without a problem.

I'm sure by Black Friday I'll find a 12 mo deal so this will work fine for the next 30 days. Thanks OP for this tip!

So I hit "No Thanks", and I was offered the trial. When it tried to verify my credit card, it didn't work after numerous attempts. I did it again, and I selected the $1 for a month, and I used the same information, and then it worked. How weird.

[quote name='jusinjusin']So I hit "No Thanks", and I was offered the trial. When it tried to verify my credit card, it didn't work after numerous attempts. I did it again, and I selected the $1 for a month, and I used the same information, and then it worked. How weird.[/QUOTE]

I spoke with MS about that. They're trying to phish people's PayPal info. Same thing happened to me and a friend when we did it.

Dang, I see the free 1 month trial offer, but it can't verify the billing info for my credit card, no matter how many times I have tried.

Glad to see people still finding this helpful. :)

I was speaking with a friend tonight over XBL who also tried it successfully. $1 for 1-month.

More recently, the newer NBA Game Time and WSJ apps have been featured more prominently on the Apps. dashboard. No, it doesn't auto-download when you complete the Gold sign-up. You'd just have to get back around if you cared to actually install it when Gold.

ya i got it thru paypal, didn't use CC. I guess MS can't authorize free charge for some reason on CC. But just open a Paypal Acct and go thru it again and it should work. Or to save the hassle, just get it for 1 mo for $1.

Thanks for the heads up guys! I needed Gold back for when Halo 4 and BlOPs2 come out, but didn't want to pay $60 for Gold. I did this and got it to give me a free month and hopefully I'll catch a sale soon.

I set this up over a year ago and I've been paying $1 a month for Gold ever since. I have no idea how it happened or when it will end. All I know if every month I pay $1 and I'm still gold.

bread's done
Back