Best Buy is planning to price match online retailers this holiday

thebert

CAGiversary!
Just saw this article today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444657804578050864206903402.html

Best Buy is going to start price matching online retailers this holiday. The article cites that only 40% of shoppers walk into a Best Buy and actually buy something. Most people look at prices and then compare to online to try and get a better deal.

I find this interesting after the YMMV TRU PC game price matching that has been going on recently.

What do you think? Good for us CAGs or doesn't even matter?

I've been price matching at least Amazon's prices at BB for about a year now. Hell. I just priced matched that 2/$60 dealie that TRU was doing at BB about a month or so ago too.

But I guess my local BB store is more lenient than most, though they weren't always like this.

If this is true and not just YMMV depending on the manager on duty I don't think I'll need to do my electronics/video game shopping anywhere but best buy. I would need for them to PM newegg and amazon and that is about it.

Like others I have noticed less resistance when PM'ing other local retailers even when it is technically a package or bundle deal.

Although I wish they had half a brain and would shutdown retards buying 20 copies of Diablo III at $9.98. I don't mind them PM'ing clearance prices but it should be a strict limit of one PM per customer.

Cause at the end of the day that will ruin a good thing.

40-50% of best buy retail store management will probably train their associates to deny online pricematching because they are all incompetent dicks who think if something does not sell at full retail with a warranty and geek squad installation, it's not worth selling.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've been price matching at least Amazon's prices at BB for about a year now. Hell. I just priced matched that 2/$60 dealie that TRU was doing at BB about a month or so ago too.

But I guess my local BB store is more lenient than most, though they weren't always like this.[/QUOTE]

My BBY is strict. They will only PM prices... not promotions (like B2G1Fs, $x off a $xx purchase, etc.).

[quote name='Vinny']My BBY is strict. They will only PM prices... not promotions (like B2G1Fs, $x off a $xx purchase, etc.).[/QUOTE]
That's the amusing part. They PM'd the TRU 2/$60 for me, then a friend and fellow CAG tried at the same store and they denied his attempted PM.

They may as well. Most of Amazon's deals are just them PMing other retailers. People here choose them then because:

A) They have credit @ Amazon
B) They don't have to pay tax
C) They don't have to leave the house

If BBY has a customer in the store, then they may as well PM Amazon and hope the customer buys other items while they are at it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's the amusing part. They PM'd the TRU 2/$60 for me, then a friend and fellow CAG tried at the same store and they denied his attempted PM.[/QUOTE]

you do realize the tru 2/$60 is considered bundle deals, right? and under bestbuy store policy, they are not suppose to pricematch it. you are just exception to the rule

I picked up Yakuza Dead Souls today from Best Buy by price matching Newegg. The only reason I bought it at Best Buy is because I was there for something else and figured I would see if they would pm, and they did, so they got the sale. I definitely think them doing this will help their sales as long as people know about it, since they have been so strict with it in the past.

A) it isn't on official policy at this point (check their website) and B) "And they can choose NOT to do it whenever they want" as stated in the article.

The best part... "Sales staff will only offer to match the online price if specifically asked"... The majority of Best Buy employees are clueless to current sales and policies. I to this date struggle to get my DLC printed upon preorders. Are we really to expect they would be up to speed on a hidden PM addition that they have been denying for years... HAHAHAHAHA.... SURE

I, like you guys, wish this will happen. But being a realist, there is no way this is happening unless on the official Price Match policy documents. If not, I know I will be denied just like before.

EDIT: Official Price Match Policy
"Does Best Buy match the prices of Internet retailers?
No. Best Buy does not match the prices of Internet-only retailers or the website prices of our local retail competitors' stores. If, however, a local retail competitor has the same or lower price as its online store and the customer can provide verification of the in-store price, Best Buy will match the price (so long as all other price match policy criteria are met). "

Poilcy website was last updated September 23, 2012, not even a month ago.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment-...at204400050011

bread's done
Back