Doom 3 BFG Edition (X360) Streetdate Broken at Walmart

TheodorusMajorus

CAGiversary!
Saw it (X360 only) at my local (Greensboro, NC) Walmart earlier today. Was $40.
Just checked Amazon and I guess it's supposed to come out on the 16th.
Not really a deal, and probably super YMMV, feel free to move or delete this thread as I doubt anyone will care about this.

Neat but I wish you snapped a pic. I get the feeling the game will bomb with reviewers. I may pick it up as part of my buy2g1free welcoming coupon at BBY.

[quote name='bobphone']Street date was broken about 8 years ago.

For 3... and he nails it![/QUOTE]

Yea but console version isn't some crappy port , full hd upgrade remixed combat system and levels that were never part of game or expansions

Maybe this will be widespread like Dishonored was. I have to wait until Sunday anyhow, because of the $15 gaming coupon I snagged at K-Mart isn't valid until then.

I don't think I will ever understand this logic. "I admit this isn't really a deal, probably a fluke, and no one will really care, but I'm going to post it."

In any case, maybe I'm confusing Walmart with another retailer, but I feel like I've heard other games that were out on the shelves at WM before street date but simply wouldn't ring up at the register.

BANG! Puts it in!

Mamma there goes that man!

I love doom 3 but $30 for it in 2012 is too much. At $15 without the classic doom games i'd buy it day one. I do want to see what that new campaign is like.

[quote name='jer7583']I love doom 3 but $30 for it in 2012 is too much. At $15 without the classic doom games i'd buy it day one. I do want to see what that new campaign is like.[/QUOTE]

Plus without any sort of co-op, it is more like $7 for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Yea but console version isn't some crappy port , full hd upgrade remixed combat system and levels that were never part of game or expansions[/QUOTE]

No online co-op though, unless it's changed.

I'll wait for the price to drop, which is inevitable. I had it pre-ordered through Newegg when they had the $10 off $39.99+ deal, but when I saw that there was no online co-op, I cancelled. :\ I'll just have to wait and see how low it gets in a month or two.

Final Doom?

I know that it was just the first two Dooms, but I sort
of wish that they would have released Final Doom,
then the Doom Collection (Doom 3 BFG has all of the Dooms).

[quote name='TheodorusMajorus']
Not really a deal, and probably super YMMV, feel free to move or delete this thread as I doubt anyone will care about this.[/QUOTE]

Good thing you posted it then

[quote name='thegame85']BANG! Puts it in!

Mamma there goes that man!
[/Quote]

Get out the checkbook and pay grandma for the rubdown.

I had this pre-ordered at Newegg, but cancelled after learning that they omitted the co-op found in the Xbox port. Sure, it wasn't the best, but it was still fun to play with friends.

Like some of you guys, I'll wait for a sale.

Lol - that was funny. :)

I think this will be $19.99 by the new year.

[quote name='Clown069']i actually kind of want it....but will wait for a sale.[/QUOTE]Same but it's like 6 weeks till BF & this will be $20 or less so I'll be waiting. No point in buying non promo'd games at this point in th year buyers remorse will surely hit once much cheaper prices come.

"Not a deal", but I'm excited about this.

I thought it was a very underrated game. Some highly memorable moments and had the "feel" that id just does right. (Controls/vibe/etc.)

Flashlight whiners killed the original release. I didn't see what the fuss was. Surely shooting at stuff in the dark is scarier? I liked the feeling of fumbling between weapon and light - added to the realism.

Im one of the worlds biggest Doom fans. Its in my Top 10 and sometimes consider my #1 all time.

But Im not sure why this is even being released and for this pricetag.

I have the old Xbox steelbook edition which comes with the old dooms as well.

I dont understand how hard it is for them to put out Final Doom as well. I know Final Doom was simply a collection of user levels but it was solid. Doom 64 is the only other real Doom since it was still in sprite form and kept true to the original no linear nature.

Doom 3 was a nice game. But it started, or was at least a part of the new linear FPS movement which sadly still exists today. Didnt have the same exploration as old Dooms or FPS. But it had tons of atmosphere. I dont get the flashlight issues. I thought it added to the game. And after a while you mastered it and it was rewarding.

Im assuming the real reasons this even got a a full packaged release is because of the 3D. I have a really nice 3D TV. Hardly even use the 3d but I Think for sure Ill try it with this.

But even as a huge Doom fan I might wait a month and see it drop. I already have all the Dooms on Live anyhow.

No co-op put this on the waiting for a price drop list. I never got to play RoE online with my friends because they didn't have it. Did play Doom 3 co-op online though and I loved it. Was hoping this would fill the gap of not being able to play Doom 3 on Xbox Live anymore without going through loopholes.

[quote name='xDerekRx']Im one of the worlds biggest Doom fans. Its in my Top 10 and sometimes consider my #1 all time.

But Im not sure why this is even being released and for this pricetag.[/QUOTE]

Because Zenimax/Bethesda spent a grabillionzillion dollerydoos on id and Rage kinda screwed the pooch, so they're finding easy ways to get blood from a stone while waiting for Doom 4. 'Rereleasing' Quake 4 and Doom 1 were quick ways to get a Buck, and Doom 3 is basically the only I'd property that they haven't done something with in the last generation likely to bring in more than spent updating...

Oh when they say Doom 1 and 2 are included they're not kidding - D3 is only 600gs and the other two 200 each still

[quote name='iamsmart']I don't think I will ever understand this logic. "I admit this isn't really a deal, probably a fluke, and no one will really care, but I'm going to post it."

In any case, maybe I'm confusing Walmart with another retailer, but I feel like I've heard other games that were out on the shelves at WM before street date but simply wouldn't ring up at the register.[/QUOTE]

The real question is if you can even buy it. I saw the Killzone Collection on the rack at a BestBuy, the the system rejected me.

I had this pre-ordered at Newegg when they had the $10 off a $40 game. After reading this thread, I decided to cancel the pre-order and wait for the inevitable price drops to come in the months ahead. I was really looking forward to playing XBL co-op with friends, but they axed that mode. I already own Doom 1 and 2 on XBLA, and played Doom 3 and RoE on the original Xbox. Bottom line, I will wait until I can get the game for $20 or less. Sad now, happy later (delayed gratification).

Mine's been pre-ordered through Amazon. Can't wait to play Doom 1, 2, and 3 on my PS3. This was one game I didn't need to wait for a deal on. The price is justified and I want the publisher/developer to know that I support this price point with all that's being lincuded.

newegg 30 dollars(with that 10 dollar promo they did).

honestly 30 dollars isnt bad. i never did finish Doom 3 on the PC years ago....i have no idea why i didnt. but i enjoyed it so look forward playing it now and this game unlike so many others i intend to play the day it arrives.

Does this version of Doom 3 still force you to switch between the flashlight and the gun, or did they just take the mods from the PC game and let you have both at the same time?

This was the reason I never beat Doom 3 and didn't play it much outside of the first 2 hours or so of the campaign.

[quote name='gordojones88']OMGWTFBBQ, people will pay money for this?[/QUOTE]
I ask myself this very question every time I see a game release and then less than 3-6 months later there's as much DLC content or physical add-ons released for it as the entire game itself and people are still willing to buy the mf'n shit for $10-15 or whatever a pop.

Then again, I shouldn't even say this, since I had GTA IV, the standalone GTA IV Episodes and now have the "Complete" edition. I did the same thing with Red Dead Redemption, where I had the standalone, the Undead Nightmare disc version and now I have the GOTY edition.

But probably the worst example of milking shit like this is either the Street Fighter series or that newly released Angry Birds compilation.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Does this version of Doom 3 still force you to switch between the flashlight and the gun, or did they just take the mods from the PC game and let you have both at the same time?

This was the reason I never beat Doom 3 and didn't play it much outside of the first 2 hours or so of the campaign.[/QUOTE]

I think they said they were changing the flashlight to a chest-mounted light.

[quote name='mcpeepants']Because Zenimax/Bethesda spent a grabillionzillion dollerydoos on id and Rage kinda screwed the pooch, so they're finding easy ways to get blood from a stone while waiting for Doom 4. 'Rereleasing' Quake 4 and Doom 1 were quick ways to get a Buck, and Doom 3 is basically the only I'd property that they haven't done something with in the last generation likely to bring in more than spent updating...

Oh when they say Doom 1 and 2 are included they're not kidding - D3 is only 600gs and the other two 200 each still[/QUOTE]

Yeah I love iD still, even though things have changed. I know Rage got mixed/good reviews but I thought it was great. At the time there was nothing that looked that good on a console. Even if you didnt like the game itself, it should have been appreciated as a piece of artwork.

I would like a release of all the Quakes as well. Of course all of these games are better on PC, but Id like a console run through.

As it stands I have to play Quake 1 on my Sega Saturn! (personally I think it was the best port)

I just cancelled my pre-order for this game...I have a sneaking suspicion that Black Friday will bring this down 10-15 bucks easily. HD remakes are great, but they drop in price real fast. Halo CE remake is a nice example of that.

I heard they removed the iron sights too for this BFG edition which I found a little disappointing...I wasn't a fan of the zoom in Doom 3.

bread's done
Back