Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (10/14/12 to 10/20/12)

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#31 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

This would be like buy 2 get 1 for $10. =(

If you plan on buying more then two games (i.e. 4, 6, etc.), don't mind TRU credit or already have TRU credit it is a better deal then B2G1 Free.

In a Buy 2 Get 1 free you are paying roughly $40 + tax for each game.

In this promotion you are paying $120 + tax for two games but also getting a $50 value which can be recycled into the next promotion. I'm not big on factoring a Gift Card into the savings BUT if you do you are in essence paying $35+ tax for your games.

#32 Bizzquik

Bizzquik

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Ugh, no B2G1 sale this year?

Yeah I thought the exact same thing. Guess this replaces that

Yup, in previous years, ToysRUs would be having its B2G1Free sale during the week of the third Tuesday of October. And Best Buy would have its B2G1Free sale during the week of the last Tuesday of October. (Guess we'll have to wait to see what happens there.)

Man, hard times at retail to blame? :cry:

Steam ID: Bizzquik
Xbox Live Gamertag: Bizzquik
PSN Network ID: Bummblue
WiiU ID: Bizzquik

Proud user of PinnacleGameProfiler: turning beloved keyboard+mouse PC games into controller-enabled, couch-friendly gaming experiences.

#33 inky1600

inky1600

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

hmmm, that's pretty decent since I'm in the market for a 3DS.

I have ~$30 or so leftover from the KmartGamer days (remember that fiasco when giftcards were being sent out to compensate for when coupons failed to print, but then that internal issue when they weren't being sent out but then eventually they were, from that) and another $100 on a visa gift card, so it'd be like $40 out of pocket, but then $35 coupon + $5 award card back.

My question: do you guys think there will be an amazing 3DS offer during the holidays? I wonder if promotions will focus on the XL. I need the purple one for a gift and the XL is too jumbo for her hands, and this basically offering $40 back aka a free 3DS game or 2/3 of a xbox/ps3 game.

You sure the XL is too big for her hands? My 7 year old has an XL(did the upgrade from GS) and she never looked back. She loved the 3DS but once she saw the double size screen, the 3DS looked less like a game system and more like a cheap toy. No problem holding it either

#34 ninj4junpei

ninj4junpei

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

If I remember what I saw right, 10/21 is buy one get one 40% off all games and 10/28 is the big book launch.

I hope you are right.

#35 MrBeatdown

MrBeatdown

DumbAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'll take "Buy 2, get $50 worth of whatever I want, when I want", over Buy 2 get 1 free. B2G1 deals never seem to come along when there are three new full priced games I want.

#36 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Meh. BB and Target have b2g1s around this time so might as well wait if that's what you want.

#37 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

If you plan on buying more then two games (i.e. 4, 6, etc.), don't mind TRU credit or already have TRU credit it is a better deal then B2G1 Free.

In a Buy 2 Get 1 free you are paying roughly $40 + tax for each game.

In this promotion you are paying $120 + tax for two games but also getting a $50 value which can be recycled into the next promotion. I'm not big on factoring a Gift Card into the savings BUT if you do you are in essence paying $35+ tax for your games.

This. You have to compare apples to apples. A more appropriate comparison is considering value when you buy it as 6 games (2 sets of B2G1 vs. 3 sets of pairs). The original B2G1 nets you a $120 value while the new promo nets you a $150 promo.

Value aside, this deal is better because you're not forced to buy 3 games either. 2 games plus gift cards offers more flexibility. And before some idiot spouts off about placeholders that trick wouldn't work under the new system anyway.

So i like this deal. TRU FTW! Thanks OP.

#38 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

^ People go ape anytime they see a deal or promotion with the word "Free" in it. If you have a TRU within driving distance (I'm 99.9% positive this will be IN-STORE ONLY [every TRU deal with a GC always is]) this is a better deal AND the nice part is we won't have to read a rediculous number of posts asking about or bragging about returning paid games to get the free game for free

#39 smacd101

smacd101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

This seems put in place in some part for the people (us) who buy placeholder games and then try to return it later for a game that comes out later. Now you can do that legit with the $50 gift card. Problem is I don't think there are 2 $60 games I want to pay for that are out now. I think I can wait on all of them to get cheaper (Black Friday?)

#40 smacd101

smacd101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

^ People go ape anytime they see a deal or promotion with the word "Free" in it. If you have a TRU within driving distance (I'm 99.9% positive this will be IN-STORE ONLY [every TRU deal with a GC always is]) this is a better deal AND the nice part is we won't have to read a rediculous number of posts asking about or bragging about returning paid games to get the free game for free

Really? You don't think people are still going to try to do that with one of the 2 games they pay for? Nobody's going to buy say Dishonored and RE6, then try to trade RE6 the following week for AC3 and keep the Gift Card for something else?

#41 smacd101

smacd101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

If you only want 2 $60 titles and say a Vita or 3Ds game or a $40 game, this isn't bad. Under the old system you just get that game and the deal is done. Current system you still have a $10 gc to put towards PSN Points or whatever.

#42 dan77733

dan77733

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

Sad that we dont see B1G1 anymore. Oh well.

#43 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

Really? You don't think people are still going to try to do that with one of the 2 games they pay for? Nobody's going to buy say Dishonored and RE6, then try to trade RE6 the following week for AC3 and keep the Gift Card for something else?

I'm sure they will but they won't be trading it back or returning it to TRU as it will be a prorated return value of $35 for each game. I suppose if you wanted to pay $35 for a game and $50 for the GC you could return one game back to TRU.

As far as trading games back to Best Buy or Gamestop or reselling them you get that talk in just about every thread but assuming you'd have to get $35+ to make it worthwhile I know the comments won't be nearly as bad.

Hell the first dozen or so posters didn't even realize this deal has more value added then a B2G1 free

#44 ray2dee

ray2dee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

I really hope I see deals like this when Creed drops for I can have that and Need for Speed or Halo4

#45 smacd101

smacd101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

I'm sure they will but they won't be trading it back or returning it to TRU as it will be a prorated return value of $35 for each game. I suppose if you wanted to pay $35 for a game and $50 for the GC you could return one game back to TRU.

As far as trading games back to Best Buy or Gamestop or reselling them you get that talk in just about every thread but assuming you'd have to get $35+ to make it worthwhile I know the comments won't be nearly as bad.

Hell the first dozen or so posters didn't even realize this deal has more value added then a B2G1 free

Well, to be fair, you don't know how they'll handle the receipt. The GC may ring up as free while the games are full price. If that happens, people will definately be trying to exchange games the following week.

And how does it have more benefit added than B2G1? I can see some small benefits (that I mentioned above) But I don't think they outweight the additional cost ($10 more plus tax on the third game which wasn't charged before), the fact that it won't work for 3DS or Vita games, or the fact that that you can't do it with $30 titles.

#46 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

Don't know about others, but I wasn't comparing to B2G1...just disappointed in general, would be much happier if It was a straight price cut like the $60 for 2 deal.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#47 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

Well, to be fair, you don't know how they'll handle the receipt. The GC may ring up as free while the games are full price. If that happens, people will definately be trying to exchange games the following week.

And how does it have more benefit added than B2G1? I can see some small benefits (that I mentioned above) But I don't think they outweight the additional cost ($10 more plus tax on the third game which wasn't charged before), the fact that it won't work for 3DS or Vita games, or the fact that that you can't do it with $30 titles.

Oh lord... the gift card isn't going to ring up as free. I buy enough release day game that come packaged with Gift Cards to know they charge you for the gift card and deduct that value from the cost of the game (i.e. return value).

For games less then $59.99 this is not a better deal. For $59.99+ games it is a better value assuming you know how to work the deal (buy in bundles of two). No one is forcing you to spend that last $50 GC on a MSRP $59.99 game. Wait and spend it on something else that is a deal. They will most likely have the best Black Ops II promotion as they did for the original BO and MW3

#48 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

The added value is only if you buy 6 games or more and it's so small comparing to the cash you have to put out though. The only major benefit to this would be it doesn't force people to find 3 games.
Let's say tax is 10%
B2G1
132+132 = $264

This
132 + 132 + 132 - $100GC = $296 with $50 gc left over

But this is only if you buy 6 games. It's probably safe to say not many (if not nobody) is going to buy 6 games from this promo unless they plan to resell or flilp. Buying only 2 games means you get less value, however, you don't have to be forced to buy 3 games.

Whatever, this promo isn't for me. I can't stand promo where I have to buy multiple games to get gift card anymore.

#49 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

meh I'm backlogged from newegg sales and bestbuy DOTDs

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#50 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

This. You have to compare apples to apples. A more appropriate comparison is considering value when you buy it as 6 games (2 sets of B2G1 vs. 3 sets of pairs). The original B2G1 nets you a $120 value while the new promo nets you a $150 promo.

Value aside, this deal is better because you're not forced to buy 3 games either. 2 games plus gift cards offers more flexibility. And before some idiot spouts off about placeholders that trick wouldn't work under the new system anyway.

So i like this deal. TRU FTW! Thanks OP.

Except that in your example you're comparing 2 instances of b2g1 against 3 instances of b2g50gc so of course the deal with higher number of usages seems better. Either way you slice it b2g1 is $120 with 60 value and b2g50gc is $120 with 50 value, so at least purely monetarily, the former is better. The latter makes up for the 10 difference in value with its flexibility.

#51 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

Let's not forget the gift card takes a few hours to be able to use. So if u wanna do it 3 times, most likely u'd have to make several trips.

#52 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Let's not forget the gift card takes a few hours to be able to use. So if u wanna do it 3 times, most likely u'd have to make several trips.

Regardless of how many games you want there is no need to make more then two trips.

#53 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

Except that in your example you're comparing 2 instances of b2g1 against 3 instances of b2g50gc so of course the deal with higher number of usages seems better. Either way you slice it b2g1 is $120 with 60 value and b2g50gc is $120 with 50 value, so at least purely monetarily, the former is better. The latter makes up for the 10 difference in value with its flexibility.

So $120 with a $60 value divided by 3 games = what?

$120 with a $50 value divided by 2 games = what?

#54 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

Regardless of how many games you want there is no need to make more then two trips.

How do u apply the gift card to your total if it takes 6 hrs to activate? Or do you mean to buy all at once and keep $150 in gift card?

#55 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

How do u apply the gift card to your total if it takes 6 hrs to activate? Or do you mean to buy all at once and keep $150 in gift card?

At the end you will be stuck with a $50GC. There is no way to apply it towards your total. That being said you can still do everything in two purchases if you plan accordingly.

Let's no forget that TRU is one of the most consistent B&M's with in-store GC's on new releases. They also have a decent clearance section. There will be many opportunities to burn the $50GC.

#56 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

At the end you will be stuck with a $50GC. There is no way to apply it towards your total. That being said you can still do everything in two purchases if you plan accordingly.

Let's no forget that TRU is one of the most consistent B&M's with in-store GC's on new releases. They also have a decent clearance section. There will be many opportunities to burn the $50GC.

I know that u'll have $50 GC in the end. But if you plan to use this promo 3 times (6 games), u'd have to do it in 3 purchases. And the card takes sometimes to activate (some says 6 hrs?) How do u plan everything in two purchases accordingly?

I ask this because in your original comment, you say (4-6 games)

#57 Tygamr

Tygamr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Might get in on this deal to pick up Dishonored and some random new game to resell (essentially getting Dishonored for $10 if you factor in the gift card). Flippers might be able to abuse this if they can find a game that gets a decent amount of trade credit- then just use giftcards to get more games.

#58 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

I know that u'll have $50 GC in the end. But if you plan to use this promo 3 times (6 games), u'd have to do it in 3 purchases. And the card takes sometimes to activate (some says 6 hrs?) How do u plan everything in two purchases accordingly?

I ask this because in your original comment, you say (4-6 games)

Let's see..

I would buy 4 games in one transaction; pay $240 + tax and get a $100GC and then buy the last two games 6 hours in the future and use the $100GC I had already received and pay $20+ tax and receive the final $50 GC

#59 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Let's see..

I would buy 4 games in one transaction; pay $240 + tax and get a $100GC and then buy the last two games 6 hours in the future and use the $100GC I had already received and pay $20+ tax and receive the final $50 GC

gotcha..

#60 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Ugh - this may very well lead me to buy XCOM again along with Dishonored, then return XCOM to Best Buy, where I'll eat $15 to pay for the gift card they gave me...

Either that or avoid this altogether and wait for natural price drops.

Decisions, decisions.