Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (10/14/12 to 10/20/12)

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#151 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

As Confoosius noted and we all know, you can't apply the gift card to the same transaction you get it from. That would be the only way to get the max savings of 41% off. Of course, if someone considers a TRU giftcard the same as cash, after one transaction you can say that you got those two games for $35 a piece...along with a $50 gift card. In any case, you've still spent $120 to get $170 worth of goods.

But this was my point all along. That the intrinsic value of the gift cards are bring considered purely for value comparison as most cags will always find a way to max out any deal or store credit. And I agree this deal isn't going to be for everyone because they are different promos after all.

#152 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

TooPoor;

you are incorrectly assuming that the $50GC MUST be spend on a $60 game with no added value.

That is one way to go but it is not a smart one. I can assure you that $50GC will either be going back into this deal or towards another deal (i.e. new release with $10/$15/$20GC or towards a future B1G1 40% off promo).

with the TRU deal you DO NOT have to buy a third game at $60. You're forcing that into your calculations.

Edit: and this deal isn't for people that NEED to buy a certain amount of games. I don't "need" any games but I know how to maximize this so that the games I want I can get for much cheaper then if I had to buy a 3 at a time.

The way you're doing math you're basically saying that this weeks two for $70 (FIFA, Madden, NCAA, NHL) is worse then B2G1 free because if you bought three games you'd be paying $130 whereas the value isn't in buying three games it is in buying four.

#153 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Not sure if anybody else here has a Capital One credit card but they've got a feature deal ending 10/17. You get $10 credit on any purchase you make at TRU. :bouncy:

What? hot damn ...

#154 vherub

vherub

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

at least it's an intelligent response to the problem of people wanting to buy and return to take advantage of games released outside the b2g1 window instead of canceling the promotion outright

#155 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Not to mention they typically (for the last two years) run a promotion from November-Christmas where you earn 10% back in TRU rewards on all your purchases (up to $50 in rewards).

I don't like how they issue rewards (they expire in like two weeks after being issued) but they do work on video games now.

This is news to me. Earlier this year RZone certs didn't work on games. Thanks for the heads up.

#156 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

at least it's an intelligent response to the problem of people wanting to buy and return to take advantage of games released outside the b2g1 window instead of canceling the promotion outright

True... no pun intended lol

#157 thedream77

thedream77

Monster>Red Bull

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

We certainly have some passionate math majors on this thread.

I'm going to have to bag this deal for a different reason, TRUs crappy new game selection in my area. If you want a AAA blockbuster title you can find it @ TRU, however I was hoping to snag Persona Arena & Xcom EU, 2 very good games w/o multi-million dollar advertising budgets. Forget it, my TRUs carry neither. Just something to consider with this TRU deal if you have interest in a game that's NOT a huge brand. Hopefully, BB will do something along these lines in a couple weeks, I know they carry both games.

#158 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

TooPoor;

you are incorrectly assuming that the $50GC MUST be spend on a $60 game with no added value.

That is one way to go but it is not a smart one. I can assure you that $50GC will either be going back into this deal or towards another deal (i.e. new release with $10/$15/$20GC or towards a future B1G1 40% off promo).

with the TRU deal you DO NOT have to buy a third game at $60. You're forcing that into your calculations.

Edit: and this deal isn't for people that NEED to buy a certain amount of games. I don't "need" any games but I know how to maximize this so that the games I want I can get for much cheaper then if I had to buy a 3 at a time.

The way you're doing math you're basically saying that this weeks two for $70 (FIFA, Madden, NCAA, NHL) is worse then B2G1 free because if you bought three games you'd be paying $130 whereas the value isn't in buying three games it is in buying four.

I know, but I cannot formulate indeterministic factors such as using a $50GC towards a future different deal unless I spend an hour to formulate this with random variables. To model this as a simple math comparison, you would have to restrict a lot of assumptions, or else the math comparison does not exists. Of course, you can always do this subjectively, but where's the fun in that?:)

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

My Lowball!

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#159 perfectsil

perfectsil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

I agree, using the $50 GC to buy another $60 game is not a smart move, save it for a future deal, or something you want.

if it's something you won't spend $50 on, why would you spend a $50 GC on it?

#160 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

This is news to me. Earlier this year RZone certs didn't work on games. Thanks for the heads up.

I've never had a problem getting them to apply. I'm not sure if they still list video games/hardware as an exclusion but they apply without an override if your cashier runs them through.

The $ and % off coupons that they send out via e-mail however do not apply without an override

#161 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

I know, but I cannot formulate indeterministic factors such as using a $50GC towards a future different deal unless I spend an hour to formulate this with random variables. To model this as a simple math comparison, you would have to restrict a lot of assumptions, or else the math comparison does not exists. Of course, you can always do this subjectively, but where's the fun in that?:)

Good points.

Anyways as someone else mentioned TRU has gone the way of Kmart as it pertains to games and stock levels.

I have found they carry fewer and fewer titles and the quantities that they do carry are minimal unless it is a COD or AAA title.

I would suggest buying games now and returning/rebuying or price adjusting the promotion next week just to be safe.

I don't really have problems with resellers in market (outside Target promotions) but for some of you in more populated areas it might be a good idea to get a head start

#162 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

So the B2G1s will probably begin the 21st or the 28th?

Posted Image

#163 sjc1279

sjc1279

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Bestbuy gonna pm this or not? I have $110 dollar in BB trade in credit so I want to do this at BB.

#164 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

I wonder if those Xbox bundles are a drop or a sale?

I think it is a price drop just because walmart has had the 4GB kinect and 250GB holiday bundle at $249.99 for a few weeks

#165 HakurenKyo06

HakurenKyo06

Duane Follower.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

One more week to Pm transformers, Darksiders II window closed.

#166 BGriffith

BGriffith

Am I saying meow?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I could honestly see a b2g1 from Nov 18-20/21 for the Wii U and also including other platforms somewhere...

#167 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

That doesn't make any sense. Presumably you paid full price for Dishonored and Borderlands 2. You wouldn't buy them next week if you didn't already have them and take the free $50 gift card?

Heck, what you should do is buy them next week then return the unopened copies to the place where you bought the origianls for refunds. Then you still get the free $50 gift card.

Well these 2 games are bad examples really as I could have easily gotten digital copies of both of them for much less if I was just going for the lowest price possible.

In the end though it's about $140 for 3 games from TrU. That's $46 per game and normally that's more than I'd end up paying on a per game basis. That doesn't include the price of gas for 2 separate trips.

Instead of just saying the deal blows again though, I'll leave it at this:
I could see if you decided you wanted 2 games that particular week, it may be the quickest way to get them for a decent end price. So it may not be a bad deal depending on who you are and what your situation is.

#168 thedream77

thedream77

Monster>Red Bull

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Bestbuy gonna pm this or not? I have $110 dollar in BB trade in credit so I want to do this at BB.

That would be awesome, but HIGHLY doubtful. I can't see them matching a deal where they have to create a $50 BB gift card for free. It's so much easier for them NOT to match something like this.

#169 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well these 2 games are bad examples really as I could have easily gotten digital copies of both of them for much less if I was just going for the lowest price possible.

In the end though it's about $140 for 3 games from TrU. That's $46 per game and normally that's more than I'd end up paying on a per game basis. That doesn't include the price of gas for 2 separate trips.

Instead of just saying the deal blows again though, I'll leave it at this:
I could see if you decided you wanted 2 games that particular week, it may be the quickest way to get them for a decent end price.

Why would you go to TRU next week and buy 3 $59.99 games?

You should buy in multiples of two and use your left over credit on a better promotion.

#170 Dund3r

Dund3r

You can't handle my undivided attention.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'd really like to see some price drops to make PMing possible...
"People who buy things are suckers." - Ron Swanson

#171 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

B2G1 on PO will come in handy (at least on Sunday)

Why is Sunday better than other days for the B2G1 deal?

#172 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Why would you go to TRU next week and buy 3 $59.99 games?

You should buy in multiples of two and use your left over credit on a better promotion.

I'd buy 2 next week for a total of $129. I was adding in a 3rd full price game bought later using the $50 GC. I could wait on another deal yes, and it'd make the deal a few dollars cheaper per game overall, but I'd still be around $43 per game or so.

Certainly not bad, but again not good enough for me considering that plus gas and time spent.

#173 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'd buy 2 next week for a total of $129. I was adding in a 3rd full price game bought later using the $50 GC. I could wait on another deal yes, and it'd make the deal a few dollars cheaper per game overall, but I'd still be around $43 per game or so.

Certainly not bad, but again not good enough for me considering that plus gas and time spent.

i think the op said the deal might be online as well. If that is the case, you might not have to worry about gas n time, but their slow shipping to your home, lol

#174 3rdamention

3rdamention

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

I have no problem taking a $50 gift card to use on my next purchase instead of dealing with the headache of finding placeholders.

With this Gift Card,I apply it to whatever I want to buy next. With the Buy 2 Get 1 Free, I always had to find a placeholder, then I had to choose one that wouldn't drop in price the next few weeks, then I had to hope they would let me return it, finally I had to hope they didn't charge me $40 for each game instead of $60 each for 2 games so I COULD return it to get something new.

I can easily support the Gift Card Idea. I like it.

#175 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

i think the op said the deal might be online as well. If that is the case, you might not have to worry about gas n time, but their slow shipping to your home, lol

I don't think it will be online. In the last two years I can't think of a single TRU video game deal that involved a GC that was online as well.

#176 Xerxes

Xerxes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

007 and Borderlands. Not even sure what I would place holder. Sucks this freezes out handhelds and lower priced games.
People who still have ECA codes are why we can't have nice things... :shame:

#177 mossfan563

mossfan563

CAG 'til I die!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

OP, thanks...and you missed a 1 in the title. B2G1 on PO will come in handy (at least on Sunday)

Thanks for the correction! Don't know how I missed that...
Posted Image

#178 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

I don't think it will be online. In the last two years I can't think of a single TRU video game deal that involved a GC that was online as well.

Won't be online. Any deals involving free gift cards are always in store only.

As far as the gift card, you can always ask them to scan a regular gift card in place of the promo gift card. The promo gift card they have for this sale are Skylander cards.

With this Gift Card,I apply it to whatever I want to buy next. With the Buy 2 Get 1 Free, I always had to find a placeholder, then I had to choose one that wouldn't drop in price the next few weeks, then I had to hope they would let me return it, finally I had to hope they didn't charge me $40 for each game instead of $60 each for 2 games so I COULD return it to get something new.

I can easily support the Gift Card Idea. I like it.

You must have missed last years B2G1. Last year, they curbed the place holder option and put a "refund value" on all games purchased during the sale.

#179 Bankotsu

Bankotsu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'm still waiting to use my buy 2, get 1 free on new games I got from the Gamers Unlocked welcome package. Expires next month a couple of weeks before black friday.

#180 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Won't be online. Any deals involving free gift cards are always in store only.

As far as the gift card, you can always ask them to scan a regular gift card in place of the promo gift card. The promo gift card they have for this sale are Skylander cards.

You must have missed last years B2G1. Last year, they curbed the place holder option and put a "refund value" on all games purchased during the sale.

what in the hell is a skylander card? and what is difference between that and a regular gift card?