Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (10/14/12 to 10/20/12)

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#211 UnseenGamer7

UnseenGamer7

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm still waiting to use my buy 2, get 1 free on new games I got from the Gamers Unlocked welcome package. Expires next month a couple of weeks before black friday.

I signed up last month and haven't received a welcome package or my first issue of Gamer. Did anyone else receive a welcome package and if you did how was it sent?

#212 paulwekiva

paulwekiva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Anyone know if its easy to transfer data from a classic 360 20gb hard drive to one of the new hard drives? I've had a broken 360 for about a year now (hard drive is fine). I might be interested in one of the holiday bundles if I can transfer my saves and stuff over...

It's easy but potentially expensive. You need a $20 360 transfer cable. You may be able to find a friend that has one or get a used one from online or Gamestop kind of store.

There is a second, slightly more painful option which requires a USB thumb drive....but the 360 can only transfer over about 6GB of data that way.
This part I did about a year ago when I upgraded my hard drive so it's a little foggy. Just google transferring 360 hard drive data and you'll see lots of results ... Microsoft has its own web page on it.

#213 SangesTheLurker

SangesTheLurker

This is good, right? I mean, it doesn't suck...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Anyone know if its easy to transfer data from a classic 360 20gb hard drive to one of the new hard drives? I've had a broken 360 for about a year now (hard drive is fine). I might be interested in one of the holiday bundles if I can transfer my saves and stuff over...

And to add to what Paul had said about transfer cables, spend the little extra to get the newer, black version of the microsoft cable--and by all means, DO NOT get a third-party knock-off, make sure it's real MS brand. I made that mistake, twice, when upgrading from fatty hdd to new one and again when I upgraded to the 320GB hdd.

25u01gl.gif
I think I may have a problem...

#214 TheGreenArr0w

TheGreenArr0w

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

I actually kind of like this deal. Dishonored and XCOM, and then get a copy of Assassins Creed 3 (which will probably come with another gift card) a couple of weeks later.

#215 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

This deal is sort of lame. Just want the B2G1 and that's it. Don't want to have to buy 2 full price games and sit on a GC. I already know what I want for the B2G1, anywhere, somewhere, or just some similar prices to one. I've been pretty much holding off/back on any purchase all year working through my backlog and this sale was going to be my saving grace, especially for the holidays. I really hope TRU does the B2G1 or BB.

Las Vegas Limousine - The coolest limos in town!

Los Angeles Limousine

#216 Xerxes

Xerxes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

This deal with rolling to 6 games. That's if you want do a B2G1 twice.

First Trip 120 - 2 Games
Second Trip 70 - 2 Games
Third Trip 70 - 2 Games
Ending up $260 spent with $50GC left over equally $210 value.

B2G1 for 6 game is straight up. Is $240 in money spent and value.

I'd want B2G1 for the other games cheaper than $60. That's where this one fails.
People who still have ECA codes are why we can't have nice things... :shame:

#217 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

This deal with rolling to 6 games. That's if you want do a B2G1 twice.

First Trip 120 - 2 Games
Second Trip 70 - 2 Games
Third Trip 70 - 2 Games
Ending up $260 spent with $50GC left over equally $210 value.

B2G1 for 6 game is straight up. Is $240 in money spent and value.

I'd want B2G1 for the other games cheaper than $60. That's where this one fails.

Why would you make an extra (third) trip?

Buy four games in the first transaction and get a $100GC and use that towards the second transaction of two games and pay ~ $20 + tax and then get your last $50GC

#218 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

Climbing People's Soapbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

It's not even a 30% discount, but better than a B1G1 50% which is only a 25% discount but only requires 2 games instead of 3.

Decent deal, but not that big of a deal.

#219 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Wasn't sure if I should start a thread as it not really a hot deal per say but it is official Best Buy will start price matching amazon and a undisclosed list of 20 online retailers. (not valid week of bf through cyber Monday). The deal itself is full of holes and exclusions ie not bf week, And only "if it makes sense" which pretty much makes it useless since they can shoot down any pm for any reason. But it might help someone save a few bucks. If people think this deserves a thread I will start one but with exclusions I felt it wasn't really a hot deal.

Here is one link with info or you can go to the interwebs for more info

http://blogs.wsj.com...h/?mod=yahoo_hs

#220 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

It's not even a 30% discount, but better than a B1G1 50% which is only a 25% discount but only requires 2 games instead of 3.

Decent deal, but not that big of a deal.

You do understand that this only requires two games right? And while a B2G1 is 33% in savings depending on how you value your gift card (it's like cash to me) I'm spending $120 two games and getting $50 back ~ 42%.

If this was "Buy "X" game at $59.99 get a $25GC people would be going ape shit.

And essentialy ^ that is what it is except it is requiring you buy two games up front.

#221 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Clearly, you're talking out of your ass. At what point did I lose you while repeatedly pointing out my example of 6 vs. 6 games was merely to illustrate the deals because people keep getting so confused on the "3 games versus 2 games" argument? I even said it wasn't a practical solution - just merely trying to point out how people were wrong to imply this deal was worse than the B2G1. Still, nobody has been able to prove how the $20 per title savings is better than the $25 GC.

Okay so show me an example of using this deal to buy 6 or less games where the average price per games is <$40 and doesn't completely hinge on there being another deal within the limited lifespan of the promo gift card.

And I have no idea how you still don't realize that dividing the value of the free item in the b2g1 against itself, while not doing it for the gift card, is skewing your logic. It's either divide the free item by 3 (20 off per game vs 16.77 in gift card per item) or 2 (30 off per game vs 25 in gift card per item). It's not mix and match here.

#222 sirdan357

sirdan357

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Seems like a nice deal, I don't have a TRU near me but if I was looking to buy a couple games I would consider it. I would just sell the gift card online if there wasn't anything else I wanted to buy.

#223 Sendoh

Sendoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

This is just like the deal Toysrus is having now with the sports game, except you dont save $50, you get $50 in GC.

This deal even works with any games thats 59.99 so its better than the sports game in my opinion.

The deal for this week comes out to be less than $40 for each sport game.

You can probably use the $50 GC to do a change of payment method on game you buy this week.

#224 bobphone

bobphone

So what if I'm a gay man?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Got a 20% off $100 purchase coupon today. If these can be combined... Kaching.

#225 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

nevermind...

Edited by TooPoor, 12 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#226 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Got a 20% off $100 purchase coupon today. If these can be combined... Kaching.

Read the e-mail again. I got the same one and the fine print excludes video game software and hardware.

http://view.ed4.net/...der 2-Day Deals
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#227 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Okay so show me an example of using this deal to buy 6 or less games where the average price per games is <$40 and doesn't completely hinge on there being another deal within the limited lifespan of the promo gift card.

And I have no idea how you still don't realize that dividing the value of the free item in the b2g1 against itself, while not doing it for the gift card, is skewing your logic. It's either divide the free item by 3 (20 off per game vs 16.77 in gift card per item) or 2 (30 off per game vs 25 in gift card per item). It's not mix and match here.

Others in this thread showed how promo cards can be extended via ecards or asking to scan a regular gift card already. Plus I've mentioned already other deals will be coming this holiday season to use them on.

I broke down the value numerous times already. I don't want to regurgitate my own posts. It was clearly explained if you go back. What I will state again is that you cannot ignore the value of the 3rd game in the new promo. It has to be bought in pairs but the average value is $25 per game. If you did strictly 3 vs. 3 then of course b2g1 is better or if you did 2 vs. 2 then B2GC is better but that was never my point. You need to assume 6 games as that is the lowest common denominator. For the hundreth time, this is only to illustrate the value on a per game basis.

#228 bobphone

bobphone

So what if I'm a gay man?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Read the e-mail again. I got the same one and the fine print excludes video game software and hardware.

http://view.ed4.net/...der 2-Day Deals

Thanks for ruining my day. Guess it's still worth a chance.

#229 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Others in this thread showed how promo cards can be extended via ecards or asking to scan a regular gift card already. Plus I've mentioned already other deals will be coming this holiday season to use them on.

I broke down the value numerous times already. I don't want to regurgitate my own posts. It was clearly explained if you go back. What I will state again is that you cannot ignore the value of the 3rd game in the new promo. It has to be bought in pairs but the average value is $25 per game. If you did strictly 3 vs. 3 then of course b2g1 is better or if you did 2 vs. 2 then B2GC is better but that was never my point. You need to assume 6 games as that is the lowest common denominator. For the hundreth time, this is only to illustrate the value on a per game basis.

Ok so you can't provide an example and you still don't understand spreading value across the same number of items in order to create an equal comparision. Read you loud and clear chief. But I'm still begging you to show me how you arrive at 25 value per game vs 20 in a b2g1. And you know TRU's upcoming sales? Do share or are you assuming? Before this post, I'm sure most cags would've assumed TRU would have a b2g1, so you can see how we'll assuming works out :roll:

#230 theeipi

theeipi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

PJ value of $50 GC is $43

1 Game
B2G1 -> $60
B2GC -> $60

2 Games
B2G1 -> $120
B2GC -> $120, $77 after PJ

3 Games
B2G1 -> $120
B2GC -> $130 (using GC on second transaction)

4 Games
B2G1 -> $180
B2GC -> $190, $147 after PJ

5 Games
B2G1 -> $240
B2GC -> $200

6 Games
B2G1 -> $240
B2GC -> $260, $217 after PJ

Okay, assuming you want to buy ONLY exactly N games (strange I know for 2 or 5), and not counting tax (I live in a tax free state) you have these scenarios:

B2G1 is better in half the cases, B2GC is better in 1 case, and they are the same in 2 cases.

To answer your question, 5 games is a scenario where each game is <$40 as the true cost is $199.95.

Using PJ is quick and painless however, so following that route, the tables turn.

B2G1 is better in 1 case. B2GC is better in 4 cases, and they are the same in 1.

In this scenario, to answer your question, there are 4 scenarios where you pay less than $40 per game.
e^(ipi) = -1

#231 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Can we stop with the math? Just take this promo for what it is.

#232 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Ok so you can't provide an example and you still don't understand spreading value across the same number of items in order to create an equal comparision. Read you loud and clear chief. But I'm still begging you to show me how you arrive at 25 value per game vs 20 in a b2g1. And you know TRU's upcoming sales? Do share or are you assuming? Before this post, I'm sure most cags would've assumed TRU would have a b2g1, so you can see how we'll assuming works out :roll:

Wth are you serious? The 6 games comparison IS the example. Just go back and reread the breakdown. You do realize you're the only member left thats arguing against my point because they all get it now?

Nobody has a crystal ball but obviously to some folks this actually is gonna be a better deal. It's pretty obvious there will be other deals to use the GCs on.

#233 snatcher33

snatcher33

Marry me Jenny!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Can we stop with the math? Just take this promo for what it is.

This.......

#234 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

PJ value of $50 GC is $43

1 Game
B2G1 -> $60
B2GC -> $60

2 Games
B2G1 -> $120
B2GC -> $120, $77 after PJ

3 Games
B2G1 -> $120
B2GC -> $130 (using GC on second transaction)

4 Games
B2G1 -> $180
B2GC -> $190, $147 after PJ

5 Games
B2G1 -> $240
B2GC -> $200

6 Games
B2G1 -> $240
B2GC -> $260, $217 after PJ

Okay, assuming you want to buy ONLY exactly N games (strange I know for 2 or 5), and not counting tax (I live in a tax free state) you have these scenarios:

B2G1 is better in half the cases, B2GC is better in 1 case, and they are the same in 2 cases.

To answer your question, 5 games is a scenario where each game is <$40 as the true cost is $199.95.

Using PJ is quick and painless however, so following that route, the tables turn.

B2G1 is better in 1 case. B2GC is better in 4 cases, and they are the same in 1.

In this scenario, to answer your question, there are 4 scenarios where you pay less than $40 per game.

I don't know if I'm missing something but I'm not sure what you mean by PJ.

#235 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Wth are you serious? The 6 games comparison IS the example. Just go back and reread the breakdown. You do realize you're the only member left thats arguing against my point because they all get it now?

Nobody has a crystal ball but obviously to some folks this actually is gonna be a better deal. It's pretty obvious there will be other deals to use the GCs on.

So you're the man on the mountain along with a mind reader but just happen to be subpar at math and logic. I totally get it.

#236 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

You can either read the posts below you that provides numerical examples, or read my post 2 pages back where I formulated it for generic case of x (x>=4, n is even), where I accounted for tax rates, you can simply plug in your tax rate into the equation and you can do the comparison.

If you buy 4 or more than 4 games, this deal is better as long as you think the final $50 GC you end up is at least worth a reasonable amount of cash, and if neglecting the gas for multiple trips to TRU, and assuming you can chain GCs.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#237 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

So you're the man on the mountain along with a mind reader but just happen to be subpar at math and logic. I totally get it.

Cool :) you realize how most everyone is agreeing with me yet you still don't comprehend comparing the value between the 2 deals. Congrats looking like an idiot arguing that the $20 ”value” > $25 ”value” tax considerations notwithstanding.

Edited by Donut2922, 12 October 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#238 perfectsil

perfectsil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

The only way this deal is worse than b2g1 is if you waste the $50 GC on a $60 msrp game

#239 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Too much math for me to care. Plus I never buy games for $60

#240 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Before everyone starts planning purchases and such, the OP forgot one thing

The fine print...

The gift card that is supposed to be given out as part of this promo is a gift card with a picture of Skylanders Giant on it.

This particular card is ONLY VALID 10/21 - 11/22. This is stated on the card itself and the bottom of the ad.

If you get this gift card, you will not be able to use it during the same week of the sale.

If you happen to get one of the regular promo gift cards, they don't expire until 02/13.

Edit: for some reason my whole post didn't show.

If you get the regular promo gift card, it will still have the normal 6 hour activation hold and can be used the same week.

Edited by prim4444, 12 October 2012 - 11:03 PM.