Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (10/14/12 to 10/20/12)

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#241 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

If you get this gift card, you will not be able to use it during the same week of the sale.

Well, there goes the proposed technique of GC chaining...

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#242 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

damn TRU is prepared for this promo

#243 gindias

gindias

Cubs Still Suck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

I have price matched Amazon probably a dozen time at my store over the last few months and never had an issue, the employees actually seem to enjoy taking away sales from them. You just have to make sure its shipped from Amazon. I can see that little "makes sense" statement being an issue for some people who have local stores that dont even like to honor the offical Best Buy PM policy.

#244 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Wasn't sure if I should start a thread as it not really a hot deal per say but it is official Best Buy will start price matching amazon and a undisclosed list of 20 online retailers. (not valid week of bf through cyber Monday). The deal itself is full of holes and exclusions ie not bf week, And only "if it makes sense" which pretty much makes it useless since they can shoot down any pm for any reason. But it might help someone save a few bucks. If people think this deserves a thread I will start one but with exclusions I felt it wasn't really a hot deal.

Here is one link with info or you can go to the interwebs for more info

http://blogs.wsj.com...h/?mod=yahoo_hs

This does NOT need its own thread. A) it isn't on official policy at this point (check their website) and B) "And they can choose NOT to do it whenever they want" as stated in your article.

The best part... "Sales staff will only offer to match the online price if specifically asked"... The majority of Best Buy employees are clueless to current sales and policies. I to this date struggle to get my DLC printed upon preorders. Are we really to expect they would be up to speed on a hidden PM addition that they have been denying for years... HAHAHAHAHA.... SURE :roll:

I, like you, would wish this will happen. But being a realist, there is no way this is happening unless on the official Price Match policy documents. If not, I know I will be denied just like before.

EDIT: Official Price Match Policy
"Does Best Buy match the prices of Internet retailers?
No. Best Buy does not match the prices of Internet-only retailers or the website prices of our local retail competitors' stores. If, however, a local retail competitor has the same or lower price as its online store and the customer can provide verification of the in-store price, Best Buy will match the price (so long as all other price match policy criteria are met). "

Poilcy website was last updated September 23, 2012, not even a month ago.
http://www.bestbuy.c...cat204400050011

#245 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the heads up prim. Wish the fine print was noted in the OP now. Like Kou said, TRU got smarter.

#246 PontiusPilate

PontiusPilate

Climbing People's Soapbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

You do understand that this only requires two games right? And while a B2G1 is 33% in savings depending on how you value your gift card (it's like cash to me) I'm spending $120 two games and getting $50 back ~ 42%.

If this was "Buy "X" game at $59.99 get a $25GC people would be going ape shit.

And essentialy ^ that is what it is except it is requiring you buy two games up front.

Check your math. You spend $120 to get $170 worth of value. $120/170 is 70.6% which means the discount is 29.4%. It doesn't matter what you spend the money on, it's a 29.4% discount, even if it's like cash to you. I would feel equally about the $59.99/$25 GC deal because I believe in math.

I know for some people the B2G1 type of deals have reduced value because the up front cost is a bigger burden. That's not the case for me, I'm looking purely for the best percentage. A real shopper doesn't generally buy anything without a 30% discount at a minimum and doesn't jump out of their chairs for a 30% discount at that.

I'm not saying that anyone is or is not a real shopper, just that this is what it is, a sub-30% discount end of story.

#247 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

Check your math. You spend $120 to get $170 worth of value. $120/170 is 70.6% which means the discount is 29.4%. It doesn't matter what you spend the money on, it's a 29.4% discount, even if it's like cash to you. I would feel equally about the $59.99/$25 GC deal because I believe in math.

I know for some people the B2G1 type of deals have reduced value because the up front cost is a bigger burden. That's not the case for me, I'm looking purely for the best percentage. A real shopper doesn't generally buy anything without a 30% discount at a minimum and doesn't jump out of their chairs for a 30% discount at that.

I'm not saying that anyone is or is not a real shopper, just that this is what it is, a sub-30% discount end of story.

If chaining was possible then it would be a different story.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#248 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

Before everyone starts planning purchases and such, the OP forgot one thing

The fine print...

The gift card that is supposed to be given out as part of this promo is a gift card with a picture of Skylanders Giant on it.

This particular card is ONLY VALID 10/21 - 11/22. This is stated on the card itself and the bottom of the ad.

If you get this gift card, you will not be able to use it during the same week of the sale.

If you happen to get one of the regular promo gift cards, they don't expire until 02/13.

Edit: for some reason my whole post didn't show.

If you get the regular promo gift card, it will still have the normal 6 hour activation hold and can be used the same week.

Use the promo gift card to buy something, then return it. It will be on a regular gift card with no expiration date.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#249 jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

Too much math for me to care. Plus I never buy games for $60

what does buying a game for $60 have to do with anything? you're buying a $60 value game for $35

#250 jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

Before everyone starts planning purchases and such, the OP forgot one thing

The fine print...

The gift card that is supposed to be given out as part of this promo is a gift card with a picture of Skylanders Giant on it.

This particular card is ONLY VALID 10/21 - 11/22. This is stated on the card itself and the bottom of the ad.

If you happen to get one of the regular promo gift cards, they don't expire until 02/13.

Edit: for some reason my whole post didn't show.

If you get the regular promo gift card, it will still have the normal 6 hour activation hold and can be used the same week.

Do you have a picture of the bottom of the ad where it says this?

Will this be available online? There are a bunch of games they sell online but not in store...

#251 aardarf

aardarf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

meh... waiting till black friday

#252 blehman

blehman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Can we stop with the math? Just take this promo for what it is.

Amen to that. This deal is great for me; I want Borderlands 2 and Resident Evil 5 but don't really want anything else right now. Instead of being forced into a third title I sort of want, I can wait for another title I really want. Considering the GC can be used to take advantage of some potential Black Friday sales, the potential is pretty good for this deal.

#253 Flacksguy

Flacksguy

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, my store has been matching Amazon and Newegg since at least July, when I went in with a price match on a 3D TV.
Amazon had it for $300 cheaper, and they matched it without a problem. Since then I've gotten a ton of things matched. Most recently the Skyrim guide, which they matched Barnes and Noble's online price.
Aside from the random clearance game, it's been awhile since I've bought a game from anyplace other than BB.

BTW, $250 for that 250g Xbox bundle with Forza & Skyrim is not a bad deal.
Other parents are always coming to me and asking what the latest deals are on games and toys and stuff, and this will no doubt be a deal that I'll be passing along.

#254 Araxen

Araxen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Target is due for their $40 EA Sports sale any week now. Usually they have it by now.

#255 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Target is due for their $40 EA Sports sale any week now. Usually they have it by now.

$35 on Black Friday if you can hold out for another 6 weeks

#256 IceTeaCrisis

IceTeaCrisis

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

The fine print...

Amen to that. This deal is great for me; Considering the GC can be used to take advantage of some potential Black Friday sales, the potential is pretty good for this deal.

Except that if you get the GiftCard that goes with this promotion it will expire on the 22nd and Black Friday is the 23, so you would of lost out all together unless you get a regular gift card.

#257 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Thought the first item was zombie fitness. That'd be awesome.

#258 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Too much math for me to care. Plus I never buy games for $60

Never is such an ugly word when there's so many times that you will make out better in the short & long term by buying day 1 & you'll never really end up out $60 anyways.

A person who pays $60 OOP day 1 with no promos/price potection isn't a CAG. They're a person who needs CAG in their life to help them avoid overpaying for games LOL

damn TRU is prepared for this promo

which is why I'd say pm @ BB instead. Based of the results from the 2 for $60 pm's alot of people had great success & seeing that the end result will end up being one of these 3

1- Two Games for $70 + tax($35 each) $25 being taken off each title
2- Two Games for $70 + tax & being "charged" for a $50 GC $120 OOP
3- Two Games for $120 + tax & a $50 BB GC
#1 is the deal to go for I'd ask for it when requesting the match @ CS
# 3 is actually the longshot version since it would require so much effort to override the system for a "free" GC when there's no GC deal in effect @ BB.

#259 Mooplaid

Mooplaid

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

This does NOT need its own thread. A) it isn't on official policy at this point (check their website) and B) "And they can choose NOT to do it whenever they want" as stated in your article.

The best part... "Sales staff will only offer to match the online price if specifically asked"... The majority of Best Buy employees are clueless to current sales and policies. I to this date struggle to get my DLC printed upon preorders. Are we really to expect they would be up to speed on a hidden PM addition that they have been denying for years... HAHAHAHAHA.... SURE :roll:

I, like you, would wish this will happen. But being a realist, there is no way this is happening unless on the official Price Match policy documents. If not, I know I will be denied just like before.

EDIT: Official Price Match Policy
"Does Best Buy match the prices of Internet retailers?
No. Best Buy does not match the prices of Internet-only retailers or the website prices of our local retail competitors' stores. If, however, a local retail competitor has the same or lower price as its online store and the customer can provide verification of the in-store price, Best Buy will match the price (so long as all other price match policy criteria are met). "

Poilcy website was last updated September 23, 2012, not even a month ago.
http://www.bestbuy.c...cat204400050011

Here ya go:

http://www.examiner....nline-retailers
Man is at his best when things are at their worst.

#260 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

I already have $40 in reward certs from there pre-order promo. Since I'm already buying AC3 I would use the $50 gift card on that. The problem is if I can get them to do it. Hopefully being reward silver will help me in there decision.

Bring your receipt for the AC3 pre-order & make it seem like you're about to do a big shopping trip right then since they'd be more likely not to turn away a larger total sale. Be prepared to buy stuff that you would just return if needed usually a stack of $5 DVD's in the basket will do they'll see like 10 items(which is only $50) but they're not really looking at each price tag LOL. If you get the good match your $70 + tax drops to $30($15 each:applause:) so this is definitely the best deal for u. Should work out based on the 2 for $60 pm's last month.

will this be the only place to get a deal on XCOM and 007 legends?

Don't go for 007 on day 1 we're about 6 weeks away from black Friday & you'll surely have buyers remorse when you seen this for $30-$35. Depending on stock levels I could see $17.99-$19.99 BB DOTD or $15-$25 after @gamer coupon

Bestbuy gonna pm this or not? I have $110 dollar in BB trade in credit so I want to do this at BB.

Yeah, you're another one that definitely needs the $25 off each one match getting 2 games & having $35ish still in credit would be nice.

That would be awesome, but HIGHLY doubtful. I can't see them matching a deal where they have to create a $50 BB gift card for free. It's so much easier for them NOT to match something like this.

They're much more freely matching now competiton is heating up.

Hitman: Absolution
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Assassin's Creed III
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Halo 4
Medal of Honor: Warfighter
WWE '13
Zone of the Enders HD

Are you looking for best total deal as is lowest out of pocket, total lowest cost per game or total value received?

This deal with rolling to 6 games. That's if you want do a B2G1 twice.

First Trip 120 - 2 Games
Second Trip 70 - 2 Games
Third Trip 70 - 2 Games
Ending up $260 spent with $50GC left over equally $210 value.

B2G1 for 6 game is straight up. Is $240 in money spent and value.

I'd want B2G1 for the other games cheaper than $60. That's where this one fails.

If you're willing to spend that much BB would be then go the B pm route for sure 6 games for $210 + tax or $210($360) + tax & they'll charge you for $150 in GC's.

#261 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

A person who pays $60 OOP day 1 with no promos/price potection isn't a CAG. They're a person who needs CAG in their life to help them avoid overpaying for games LOL

Plenty of people brought Zone of Enders LE at $60. There are still games that will sold out before price drop.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#262 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Plenty of people brought Zone of Enders LE at $60. There are still games that will sold out before price drop.

I'm not referring to Special edittion, Collector's editions & limited editions though just standard versions.

#263 Xerxes

Xerxes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Are you looking for best total deal as is lowest out of pocket, total lowest cost per game or total value received?

If you're willing to spend that much BB would be then go the B pm route for sure 6 games for $210 + tax or $210($360) + tax & they'll charge you for $150 in GC's.

Huh?

After reading your previous post, last I checked BB didn't play with GC related deals. And if so it was the exact mirror of you getting credit to come back to the store. You're number 1 seems like the longshot of having them remove $25 from each game. And they might not give you the time of day with anything TRU related.
People who still have ECA codes are why we can't have nice things... :shame:

#264 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Huh?

in regards to your placeholder games what's your goal?

All the games for the cheapest total cost OOP or are you willing to spend more upfront knowing that in the higher total cost you end up with like $100 in credit.

In regards to making 3 trips that would total $210 you'd be much better of going to BB & letting them know you're willing to spend that much money if they'd match the deal which would help in your success of getting the match along with you getting an epic deal.

#265 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

in regards to your placeholder games what's your goal?

All the games for the cheapest total cost OOP or are you willing to spend more upfront knowing that in the higher total cost you end up with like $100 in credit.

In regards to making 3 trips that would total $210 you'd be much better of going to BB & letting them know you're willing to spend that much money if they'd match the deal which would help in your success of getting the match along with you getting an epic deal.

I know I give you a hard time but have you followed the TRU $9.98 PC Game thread (i.e.Skrim, Diablo III, Starcraft 2, MW3 , etc.)?

People were going crazy and PM'ing that at BB and cleaning out stores of Diablo III to the point where supposedly e-mail were sent out to individual stores telling them not to PM TRU anymore.

The deal should never have been PM'd in the first place because it was 1) Clearance and 2) Out of Stock at TRU but they were doing it anyways.

Have you heard or read anything about that on the BB boards? It would be a shame if a few douchebags caused BB to exclude TRU as a store it pricematches

#266 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Huh?

After reading your previous post, last I checked BB didn't play with GC related deals. And if so it was the exact mirror of you getting credit to come back to the store. You're number 1 seems like the longshot of having them remove $25 from each game. And they might not give you the time of day with anything TRU related.

Getting them to match a b2g1 or an offer like this is YMMV either way but based off the results from CAG's who got them to match the 2 for $60 relatively easy it's very possible even outside of my BB's.

And it's much more likely that they will deduct the amount from the games since it's not easy to "convince" the system to allow a "free" GC which is why they would need to "charge" you for the $50 GC. This changes when BB is offering a GC deal on their own since it's easier to adjust the "free" GC's value when they system is already in place. I've done tons of pm's like this & seen CS get frustrated trying to exact match & then the supervisor just takes the GC value off.

Each BB is different but I'd suggest grabbing the games you want & going direct to CS. The more games you have the better since most managers will look at the total amout you're spending when factoring the pm. When you get there show them the TRU deal & say "I'd rather spend $_____ @ BB vs TRU & I'm a RZ member, GC(specify paid if you are) & RZ silver member."

I'm a beast at getting pm's the way I want them but I use the amount of money that I'm spending in my favor. During the TRU 2 for $60 it was on select titles @ TRU but b/c I came to CS with a stack of titles they made the exception to get all the money then.
These 12 games for $360 +tax(the bolded titles weren't even in the TRU promo but they matched anyways:D)
Sleeping Dogs, Lego Batman 2, Persona 4, Skyrim, Spec OPs, Dragon's Dogma, Ghost Recon FS, Amazing Spider-man, Max Payne 3, Risen 2, Darksiders 2, Transformers Fall of Cybertron.
$26 PSVita resistance burning Skies & $600 in BB pre-paid visa's purchased on 1 transaction. So over $1000 spent but usually $150+ will get it done.

#267 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

I know I give you a hard time but have you followed the TRU $9.98 PC Game thread (i.e.Skrim, Diablo III, Starcraft 2, MW3 , etc.)?

People were going crazy and PM'ing that at BB and cleaning out stores of Diablo III to the point where supposedly e-mail were sent out to individual stores telling them not to PM TRU anymore.

The deal should never have been PM'd in the first place because it was 1) Clearance and 2) Out of Stock at TRU but they were doing it anyways.

Have you heard or read anything about that on the BB boards? It would be a shame if a few douchebags caused BB to exclude TRU as a store it pricematches

Haven't heard anything about it but if people where going ape$hit then it wouldn't surprise me though. They may watch for such huge drops in the future but with GC deals & b2g1 the total cost being spent matters the most. One rep said stores are being based on their totla daily revenue generated not taking into accout whether it's profit or not. So I read into that they're looking at what store can get people to spend in general & sorting out the rest later.

#268 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

If nobody has said it yet, I imagine unless they fixed their system from the last time they did this kind of promo that the system will discount two games to $25 each making it a 2/$50 like the last time. Some people even got lucky and the system prompted their clerk to give them the $50 gc on top of the glitched promotion.

So fingers crossed for the sos to be going on at TRU, boys and girls.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#269 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Are there no mods here? Why are there dozens of posts by the same guy talking about Best Buy in a thread that's about a Toys R Us deal that would be completely YMMV at Best Buy? Give it a rest.

#270 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

If nobody has said it yet, I imagine unless they fixed their system from the last time they did this kind of promo that the system will discount two games to $25 each making it a 2/$50 like the last time. Some people even got lucky and the system prompted their clerk to give them the $50 gc on top of the glitched promotion.

So fingers crossed for the sos to be going on at TRU, boys and girls.

Really? I think last time wasn't a glitch but a miscommunication all together because the ads actually said 2 for $50. (I'm thinking of the fear 3, brink, mortal kombat, black ops 2 for $50 promo). It wasn't until a day or two later that TRU started not honoring the deal and announced it was supposed to be buy 2 for $50.

If you're referring to another promo glitch, then nevermind.