Best Buy FREE Assassin's Creed III (3) Season Pass YMMV

fezlopez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Went by Best Buy and saw it. Found it right next to the Hulu gift cards, which are near the PS Vita/PS3 section. Your store may not have these but it's worth a look. Caught me by surprise.
Be sure to look carefully because they are easily missed. Unfortunately, it was OOS when I found it.

The date shows the tag was printed on Oct 10th, meaning it was recent.
If you are a Best Buy employee or have any contact, feel free to share info on this (& please don't take all of them either, share the love).

(If someone already posted this deal, my apologies and call me any name in the book, just not Bob.)

Picture
20121015_153426.jpg

[quote name='Ashlee']What is a Season pass? o:[/QUOTE]

It's a one time subscription (usually) that includes future planned DLC for a game. For example, Battlefield 3 has a premium subscription. If you were to buy it for $50, you would save money, instead of buying the 5 map packs for $15 each.

I don't see how that can be possible. If it's a card, it'd have to be activated. I don't think they'd activate something for free

[quote name='Wario64']I don't see how that can be possible. If it's a card, it'd have to be activated. I don't think they'd activate something for free[/QUOTE]

They may if it says "FREE!" It's definitely worth a look, if anyone else will be near a BB today. If one more person confirms seeing it at a different store, I'll make the trip.

[quote name='Wario64']I don't see how that can be possible. If it's a card, it'd have to be activated. I don't think they'd activate something for free[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I thought. I hope other CAG's can confirm or add more info on this. It's definitely worth a look.

If you look on their site, it's a pre-order bonus. EDIT: Actually I think it's just the extra DLC.. my bad

According to the Best Buy website, the season pass is just a 2400 points card, and the season pass will cost 2400 points when it releases. (similar to the Halo 4 map pass from walmart).

I doubt they mean to give away 2400 points cards for free, even with purchase. They probably caught the glitch and pulled them from the shelf, which is why its empty.

Although, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm in the store. :cool:

a couple years back i saw something similar at bb, where they had download cards for spore origins via scratch off itunes code and the price card said free exactly like this. people were able to just grab cards off the rack and take them to the cashier where they rung up as free. so this is most likely legit!

Eh I'd go, but I was just up there earlier, and I dont feel like dealing with 30 minutes of arguing even if I was lucky enough to find it lol.

Went to my BB yesterday and saw exactly this. Took the card up to the register and the guy gave some explanation, but other than that it comes out to a price when they ring it up.

I just stopped by my local Best Buy. They had the actual cards there. The 360 ones had $29.99 2400 points printed on them. The PS3 ones do not. Brought one of each up to the register, and asked if they'd check the price for me. Both rang up at $29.99. I'd go with it's just a misprint on that label.

[quote name='SolarUxie']Went to my BB yesterday and saw exactly this. Took the card up to the register and the guy gave some explanation, but other than that it comes out to a price when they ring it up.[/QUOTE]

A few states might honor the pricing even if it is a mistake.. My state does not have "pricing error" consumer protection laws (although a few retailers around me do honor mistaked prices at their discretion, can say from experience.). A few I can name off my head that do legally is New Mexico, Massachussetts and I believe Michigan.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fezlopez']By law they have to sell it to you at that price. Period. You were too nice.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s By what law exactly?

People make up imaginary consumer laws and throw out bait and switch and bla bla bla.

Some states may have consumer friendly laws stating if an item is marked a certain price they are obligated to sell it to you at that price. But other than filing a complaint that will go nowhere, there is nothing the law can do for you. Stores also have leeway for misprints. But I'm sure someone is going to sit there and argue for an hour about how they need to honor the free price for the season pass and then call corporate and complain.

[quote name='fezlopez']By law they have to sell it to you at that price. Period. You were too nice.[/QUOTE]

No such thing. They can refuse

[quote name='ral1121']No such thing. They can refuse[/QUOTE]

actually does work i bought a ps3 at 139 because target misprinted a coupon

[quote name='postnet92']actually does work i bought a ps3 at 139 because target misprinted a coupon[/QUOTE]

Did you not read the CAN in the quote?

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Did you not read the CAN in the quote?[/QUOTE]

I did not see anyone mention Coke or Pepsi or any other canned beverage...can you not read yourself?
THIS WAS SARCASM, the person who said they have to sell/give it away due to Target honoring a mistake does not seem to have a decent understanding of the English language.

[quote name='pwnthee']:whistle2:s By what law exactly?[/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure it's company policy, if the sign is left up they have to honor it

They might honor pricing errors if its within reason. They aren't going to give away $30 worth of microsoft points because some guy put the wrong sticker up.

Actually check bb yesterday and it rang up for $30 though for some strange reason the associate had to call the manager over. So definitely ymmv.

[quote name='dgwillia006']eh i'd go, but i was just up there earlier, and i dont feel like dealing with 30 minutes of arguing even if i was lucky enough to find it lol.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='smokeyjoey8']I'm sure you can just take the card and leave without having it activated. Thats about as free as it will get.[/QUOTE]

If its a regular dlc card then I believe it needs activated at the register.

I'm like 90% sure this is just the whole "the card is free, but you gotta pay to activate"; because otherwise they had both StarCraft II and Diablo III downloadable marked as "Free" at my Best Buy

[quote name='pwnthee']:whistle2:s By what law exactly?[/QUOTE]

CAG law obviously, recently upheld by the CAG supreme court :roll:

If they're purposely printing out wrong prices, that's when the law can get involved.

If they go "Wait....what? GOD DAMNIT JOE YOU SCREWED UP AGAIN YOU'RE FIRED!" they don't legally have to sell it to you and can claim a misprint.

Either way, just glitter the place and be happy with petty revenge.

The reason this happens is because the system used to print off signs recognizes the cards, but not the value associated with them. So the cards are technically free but they must be paid to activate. It's a glitch in the system they're working to fix. This thread should be deleted to prevent anyone wasting their time.

I hate people like you. No they don't.

[quote name='Lightning War']The reason this happens is because the system used to print off signs recognizes the cards, but not the value associated with them. So the cards are technically free but they must be paid to activate. It's a glitch in the system they're working to fix. This thread should be deleted to prevent anyone wasting their time.

I hate people like you. No they don't.[/QUOTE]

Proof? Who are you? Do you work for the company? Do you make the printing systems? If that was the case, it wouldn't say FREE!. It just wouldn't give an amount or it would be at $0.00.

And no, you don't hate me. Updated my snitty remark so you can be happier about life.

[quote name='fezlopez']Proof? Who are you? Do you work for the company? Do you make the printing systems? If that was the case, it wouldn't say FREE!. It just wouldn't give an amount or it would be at $0.00.

And no, you don't hate me. Updated my snitty remark so you can be happier about life.[/QUOTE]

His explanation sounds reasonable, maybe he asked someone or has actually encountered this before?

Sure as fv** makes more sense than citing "consumer laws" to justify begging for a freebie.

[quote name='fezlopez']Proof? Who are you? Do you work for the company? Do you make the printing systems? If that was the case, it wouldn't say FREE!. It just wouldn't give an amount or it would be at $0.00.

And no, you don't hate me. Updated my snitty remark so you can be happier about life.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they do work for the company? Their explanation sounds more logical than the crap you're spouting.

I think the better question is who are YOU to say it's illegal for stores to not honor pricing mistakes? How about you cite a reliable source for this claim?

As some have pointed out, many states do have laws that require that stores have to honor advertised prices on a shelf. They have every right to take that price down immediately after so that they don't have to honor it any further, but without something stating that the price is an error (ever seen a notice on the door about a "misprint" in a sale ad? Many states actually require they do that), many states do have that legal requirement. Again, many but not all.

Before someone brings up an online example, online stores are legally allowed to cancel mis-priced items ordered (but they couldn't charge you the "correct" price and send it to you anyway). Many states have this law because less reputable stores might intentionally leave some items marked at a lower price knowing that many shoppers wouldn't notice (let's be honest, if you were grocery shopping and a few items were $0.50 more than marked you probably wouldn't notice).

Stores could get into some pretty serious trouble for not honoring these laws if they are in a state with said laws, but you'll have to jump through more than a few hoops to make that happen. Most stores are going to just honor it that one time, then take down the mis-priced sticker. For a big enough price error a manager is more likely to take the chance you'll just not follow up enough and deny it.

Of course there is also the aspects not mentioned here like: the card is free, activating it cost money (really a pretty sleazy pricing gimmick, but more gray legally), or if the card has a price listed on it that would qualify as having been properly priced.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']As some have pointed out, many states do have laws that require that stores have to honor advertised prices on a shelf. They have every right to take that price down immediately after so that they don't have to honor it any further, but without something stating that the price is an error (ever seen a notice on the door about a "misprint" in a sale ad? Many states actually require they do that), many states do have that legal requirement. Again, many but not all.

Before someone brings up an online example, online stores are legally allowed to cancel mis-priced items ordered (but they couldn't charge you the "correct" price and send it to you anyway). Many states have this law because less reputable stores might intentionally leave some items marked at a lower price knowing that many shoppers wouldn't notice (let's be honest, if you were grocery shopping and a few items were $0.50 more than marked you probably wouldn't notice).

Stores could get into some pretty serious trouble for not honoring these laws if they are in a state with said laws, but you'll have to jump through more than a few hoops to make that happen. Most stores are going to just honor it that one time, then take down the mis-priced sticker. For a big enough price error a manager is more likely to take the chance you'll just not follow up enough and deny it.

Of course there is also the aspects not mentioned here like: the card is free, activating it cost money (really a pretty sleazy pricing gimmick, but more gray legally), or if the card has a price listed on it that would qualify as having been properly priced.[/QUOTE]

The only pricing laws I know of are for bait and switch tactics. These ONLY cover advertised prices, Meaning circulated outside of the store.

The difference being that an advertised price may entice a person to come in and thus the bait portion.

If the price is only a sticker instore that isn't advertised then you are already in store and there is no "bait" to get you in, since well.... You're already there. The only way that these shelf sticker prices are then spread is by word of mouth. And as far as I know a company can't be held by a consumer driven word of mouth advertising.

If you can cite other laws that go even further and actually mention sticker prices on shelving then I would be glad to learn about them and rescind my comments.

bread's done
Back