The Official Shelving Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Heh, sorry to derail it. But I opened the page, and just saw "Banned" everywhere.

elessar123.png

#32 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Finally, douchebag had been on my ignore list a while.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#33 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

I know I owe you guys a write up. Been mondo busy, but I'll get to it soon...

#34 metaphysicalstyles

metaphysicalstyles

Boo this man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Some additional suggestions...

If you're not going with mitered corners on your boards, and are instead just butting one piece up against the other at right angles, you could always attach some thin crown molding across the top to hide the seams. Also adds a more decorative vibe to your build.
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/neuroned%27Posted Image

#35 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

It seems almost every shelving unit allows you to adjust where the shelves actually are on the unit. But are there any that also have the option of putting dividers in wherever you want? Essentially making somewhat of a cubby hole?

#36 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://www.cymax.com...ISTER-TOWER.htm

I'm thinking of picking one up to replace 3 of my shitty Sauder shelves.

I'm looking to store games in games in all different sizes (PS1, PS3, PSP, Xbox 360) and want to find a shelf that wastes as little space as possible.

#37 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

I have two DVD shelves, one I got when I first started collecting DVDs and the other for college. My original one is your typical fake wood shelf, but aside from not being able to fit abnormally large box sets (usually anime) it has worked out fine with no warping. Even has a bunch of DVD artboxes and a Gun dam model on top. My other shelf is a collapasable black wood unit. Very simple and not visually appealing, but still holding well. Only problem is that I have two extra shelves that don't fit.

I also discovered these DVD bags on Harriet Carter. They are clear plastic bags about as tall as a standard DVD/game case and it holds 37 cases per bag. I have four of them stacked up as a makeshift shelf to hold my like discs (right now being Pokemon, Dragonball, Gundam, and DC).

#38 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

I figure ill just use this thread as a log if that's OK.

Made a mess, hit my head on a nail, bled like crazy. Still made good progress :)

Spanky's Quest was a no go. Absolutely no room left :(
Posted Image

Pry bar and hammer. Phase one complete.
Posted Image

#39 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

You should give your log a more appealing title, maybe rip off Rightstuf's title, except in your case we might have to make a minor adjustment...

Hmmmm....oh I got it,

wiggyx's 12 Weeks of Shelf Building

Day 1
Pry bar and hammer.

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043

#40 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

I did a little snooping, it basically boils down between the mods, him and confoosious.

I'm not surprised you mentioned confoosious lol

needler420.png

#41 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

You should give your log a more appealing title, maybe rip off Rightstuf's title, except in your case we might have to make a minor adjustment...

Hmmmm....oh I got it,

wiggyx's 12 Weeks of Shelf Building

Day 1
Pry bar and hammer.

Blerg, now I have to make em faster than that :P

But seriously, I hope to have this done in a week, 2 at max. If it stays like this through Xmas, the wifey will murder me. That's part of why I chose to start it now. It'll light a good sized fire under my arse ;)

#42 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Terrible behind-the-shelves light switch is resolved (flipped around and facing the steps behind the shelves).

Posted Image

And here's some fodder for your next comic. I literally made makeshift shelves from the old shelves in order to temporarily shelve everything while I make more shelves :P

Posted Image

#43 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

At least you're building a shelf.

#44 stepasyd

stepasyd

add me on PSN/XBL/STEAM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

I was just talking to my girlfriend about how i'd like to make a shelf for my ps3 and 360 games...as i was surfing new posts, and then on the next page of search results appeared this thread..

Think i'll work on a small shelf this weekend. Will update with some pics accordingly.

#45 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

Day 1: Hammer and Pry Bar
Day 2: Hammer, Hammer, Hammer. A little electrical work. Redrawing plans and picking up supplies to add another outlet inside shelving for the consoles plus another splitter and some long-ass AV cables to run through the wall. It'll be nice to not have to move a console or two everything I wanna play something.
Day 3: Profit. Or something like that. Not quite there yet :P

#46 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

Was pretty ill the last week (and still am), but I'm making progress in spite of all the Xmas decorating and happenings.

Posted Image

Should be able to get it all framed in tomorrow, then it's on to the tedious shit.

#47 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Turns out that opening that wall may have unleashed something nasty that I'm terribly allergic to. Actually hadn't been in the basement for about a week until I bought a pricey respirator so that I could go back down and finish the job :(

Posted Image

The hard work is all done. Just installing the brackets and cutting the shelves themselves (which takes all of about 10 seconds per shelf). I'll paint it in the spring and I'll add some lighting after the new year. But it should be full of gaming goodness again in a day or so :D

#48 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Just about done.

Posted Image

Gotta slap the bracket rails up on the other side then get the center area sorted out. So close I can taste it...

Posted Image

#49 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

Taste like success!

#50 Only One Haze

Only One Haze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

awesome!

#51 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Thank you, gentlemen!

Once I'm done I'll FINALLY do the writeup that I've been promising. I did this all with nothing more than a handheld drill, miter saw, hammer, and hand saw. If it were to be free standing, then it all could have been done with a hammer/nails and nothing else. Almost ANYONE should be able to make their own shelves :)

Edited by wiggyx, 22 December 2012 - 06:13 PM.
Typos

#52 thepain73

thepain73

Johnny B. Goode

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

So proud of you Wiggy.

#53 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

:)

Me too! Now my wife won't have to murder me LOL!

#54 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

Decided to make the center shelves slide out. Luckily I have a bunch if leftover brackets from another house project :)

This is where it's at as of this moment. Even though it pretty much looks full already, there's actually a good amount if space left to work with when I need it, plus it eliminates two stand alone shelves that made the room really claustrophobic.

Posted Image

Pull out shelves for controllers and consoles.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by wiggyx, 30 December 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#55 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but what do you guys think of one of these shelves? 

http://www.target.co...c_qi_detaillink

Or 

I have 4 smaller Atlantic shelves and even though they're the same composite wood material, they're much nicer than the other brands. But I've also heard that they've gone down the drain in terms of quality so I'm not sure I should bother. Their price really isn't that much higher than the generic brand either (40 cents per DVD for the Atlantic vs 39 cents per DVD for the generic). 

Plus, the Atlantic is taller... which is better than wider. 

EDIT* 

Or maybe 2 of these? 

http://www.bestbuy.c...8&skuId=1453147

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#56 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but what do you guys think of one of these shelves? 

Or 

I have 4 smaller Atlantic shelves and even though they're the same composite wood material, they're much nicer than the other brands. But I've also heard that they've gone down the drain in terms of quality so I'm not sure I should bother. Their price really isn't that much higher than the generic brand either (40 cents per DVD for the Atlantic vs 39 cents per DVD for the generic). 

Plus, the Atlantic is taller... which is better than wider. 

EDIT* 

Or maybe 2 of these? 

http://www.bestbuy.c...8&skuId=1453147

The new Atlantic shelves are a lot cheaper now, and it's irritating on each shelf sticks out a little now from the frame because the boards they use on the frame aren't as deep, not to mention they're thinner too.  The shelves aren't even deep enough anymore either, as DVD cases even stick out a little as well on the shelves.  Just saddened at how far Atlantic has fallen since its earlier days.

The one on Target looks awfully similar to a Prepac shelf, so not sure if that's what it is since they don't have any brand information on it, but from the stock photo that's what it looks like.  Prepac shelves are pretty nice, but they're usually awfully expensive, which is why I tend to steer away from them, although I have friends who have Prepac shelves, and they're definitely good shelves.

#57 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:43 AM

Damn. Sucks the stores don't carry them so I can't check them out... 

Not sure about the Prepac stuff since I never used them. 

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#58 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Damn. Sucks the stores don't carry them so I can't check them out... 

Not sure about the Prepac stuff since I never used them. 

Prepacs are more solidly built than Atlantic shelves for sure, but the assembly on them are a bit more complicated, which is one thing Atlantic is pretty good about, but too bad their shelves blow now.

#59 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

I own an Atlantic Oskar (the $200 one in the target link) in a blonde/light wood unit. I paid around $50 from Hastings (b&m) during a sale.

It was much better than what I had before and feels very solid mounted to the wall. I had DVDs on it, but now it has my CD collection on it.

My friend owns about 8-10 of these and he's seen the quality go down over the years. He's been buying them as needed as his DVD collection has grown.

#60 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

I have Sauder shelves and I really like the look but they sag bad just under the weight of blurays. Does anyone have any advice for bracing them. I was thinking of a flat metal plate along the bottom or back to give the shelf strength.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]