The Official Shelving Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Prepacs are more solidly built than Atlantic shelves for sure, but the assembly on them are a bit more complicated, which is one thing Atlantic is pretty good about, but too bad their shelves blow now.

Building things isn't a problem... it's just that I don't know what to expect from it.:-k 

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#62 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

Any quips about this shelf? 

http://www.target.co...Slot=medium_1_6  

I know Sauder makes it but given it's simple design, it's pretty hard to Fuck up (I imagine). I don't know what it's called or where to get a black one (I think they make a black one). I'm thinking that getting 2x of these will probably be much easier on my back and easier to move and cost much less for roughly the same amount of storage. 

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#63 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I have Sauder shelves and I really like the look but they sag bad just under the weight of blurays. Does anyone have any advice for bracing them. I was thinking of a flat metal plate along the bottom or back to give the shelf strength.

I'd use some aluminum "L" bar along the back/bottom.

Aluminum Bar @ Home Depot

A metal plate along the bottom will present the same problems as the shelves themselves.   The L bar should give you the support that you need ;)

#64 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

Any quips about this shelf? 

http://www.target.co...Slot=medium_1_6  

I know Sauder makes it but given it's simple design, it's pretty hard to Fuck up (I imagine). I don't know what it's called or where to get a black one (I think they make a black one). I'm thinking that getting 2x of these will probably be much easier on my back and easier to move and cost much less for roughly the same amount of storage. 

Best bang for your buck, hands down.

I have 3 of them.

Get them at Walmart though, since you can site to store/Fedex pickup location it for free shipping, unless you have a red card at Target or something.

http://www.walmart.c...Cherry/13044874

Posted Image

#65 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Bleh... I guess they don't make it in anything other than "cinnamon cherry"? That's one ugly color. We have a beige one that was purchased years ago, I might have to do some hunting to find another color. 

My only issue with these are that I'd rather have a tall shelf since height is usually unused real estate. You can only stack so many things on top of a shelf before they become a toppling hazard. Sauder does make one that's slightly taller (roughly 10" taller) but only offers marginally more space and costs more than twice as much so that's not worth it. 

Bah, I don't know what to do... :-k

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#66 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Bleh... I guess they don't make it in anything other than "cinnamon cherry"? That's one ugly color. We have a beige one that was purchased years ago, I might have to do some hunting to find another color. 

My only issue with these are that I'd rather have a tall shelf since height is usually unused real estate. You can only stack so many things on top of a shelf before they become a toppling hazard. Sauder does make one that's slightly taller (roughly 10" taller) but only offers marginally more space and costs more than twice as much so that's not worth it. 

Bah, I don't know what to do... :-k

It's actually a lot darker than you would think.  If you look at my collection pics and how it sits next to other stands that are black, it doesn't really look as bright as it does in the stock photo.

Posted Image

#67 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

But I would know Square... it would haunt me at night.

I'm gonna keep looking for a tall option. I thought Ikea was supposed to have a decent selection of shelves but their selection sucks. They have a really tall type of shelf but it's expensive as hell, given that it holds so few DVDs. 

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#68 irighti

irighti

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

does it have to be a shelving unit?  I have a small media room and I find the best use of space has been in dressers. I have two of the 8 drawer hopen chest from ikea. although when I get mine they were half the price than they are listed at now. I use it to house the majority of my collection, and now I use the bookshelves I have to display select items I want to look at.

they do make the hopen in a 6 drawer model, which is a little less expensive, but taller, so you could potentially fit more against a wall.

#69 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

But I would know Square... it would haunt me at night.

I'm gonna keep looking for a tall option. I thought Ikea was supposed to have a decent selection of shelves but their selection sucks. They have a really tall type of shelf but it's expensive as hell, given that it holds so few DVDs. 

You talking about the Bennos?  If you are, those are awful.

Posted Image

#70 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, I think that's what they're called... guess that means Ikea is out. 

Are there any online furniture stores for shelves? There was one that used to be recommended quite often back in the day but I can't remember what it was. 

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#71 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

I followed someone else's example here and stack the sauder shelves squarehard mentioned. I anchor the top unit and it's pretty solid, plus it goes almost to the ceiling so no wasted space.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]