XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5867 replies to this topic

#3091 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

How the hell was I supposed to know it wouldn't have an install option? On the tome perhaps, but I was just giving others a heads up, I didn't ask for a side of sass. :roll:

Well, every single collection of XBLA games on disc does not allow for installation of the games. After this many years of XBLA game collections coming out, it's not a huge surprise that the latest one conforms to the rest of them.

i don't consider myself to be that good at video games, i did not find rayman to be overly challenging playing single player

But did you just beat it, or did you actually do everything in it? I can't say for sure it's the hardest platformer I've played, but it's definitely tougher than average.

*cue angry rebuttal from some cranky masochistic older gamer who wishes everything was brutally hard and thinks modern games are lazy*

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#3092 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

Should I get the Darksiders II: Death Rides Pack? I don't have the game, but I do plan on getting it eventually and I was wondering if it's worth it?
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#3093 the Gooseler

the Gooseler

Damon Baird

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Anyone know if Warp has been on sale recently?
I really hope it goes on sale, it's a fun and charming game to play that's also sometimes really difficult.

Indeed it was on sale last month for 400MSP.

#3094 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

You should buy it ONLY if you can answer yes to these questions three:

1. Do you have a friend or two or three (not small children or wives who suck at video games) who you can play it couch co-op with?

2. Do you enjoy laughing at yourself for doing the same stupid mistakes over and over until you finally get through a level?

3. Do you mind not getting 100% everything in a game and just having fun doing the best you can? (even if it means not seeing the true ending/final levels?)

The level of difficulty is brutally hard but tolerable with multiplayer. If one player dies they float in a balloon bubble until another player saves (touches) him. If you're playing single-player, ever single cheap, stupid, frequent, rage-inducing death means starting the albeit short level over.

I had a blast (and a laugh) playing it co-op, but I know better than to touch the game on my own.

But did you just beat it, or did you actually do everything in it? I can't say for sure it's the hardest platformer I've played, but it's definitely tougher than average.

*cue angry rebuttal from some cranky masochistic older gamer who wishes everything was brutally hard and thinks modern games are lazy*

Cranky? Not really. Masochistic? Probably. Older? Mid-30s probably makes that a yes. No angry rebuttal, but Rayman Origins has just moved closer to the front of my backlog.

#3095 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

This is interesting. I have Namco Museum, but haven't played it. So do I play the dic version first then install the trial or the other way around?

i tried both ways with my triple pack disc (limbo/trials hd/splosion man) and it kinda works. each game is listed individually in my library and can launch on their own (the triple pack also has it's own entry in the library as well). but this only works when the disc is in the tray. the console still has to verify the disc is inside. once the disc is ejected, the games revert back to demo versions.

#3096 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Cranky? Not really. Masochistic? Probably. Older? Mid-30s probably makes that a yes. No angry rebuttal, but Rayman Origins has just moved closer to the front of my backlog.

Of course, it is one of the finest 2D platformers in recent memory, so it should be on every platformer fan's must-play list. 8-)

Edited by eastx, 16 December 2012 - 08:00 AM.

-Paul Acevedo

#3097 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

Well, every single collection of XBLA games on disc does not allow for installation of the games. After this many years of XBLA game collections coming out, it's not a huge surprise that the latest one conforms to the rest of them.

That's not true, I have a copy of an microsoft XBLA compilation that can be installed, and when you put the disc in you don't have to Play the Disc to play the games, they show up in your list of XBLA games like normal with the rest of them.

#3098 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

That's not true, I have a copy of an microsoft XBLA compilation that can be installed, and when you put the disc in you don't have to Play the Disc to play the games, they show up in your list of XBLA games like normal with the rest of them.

Which one is that? I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like an exception rather than the rule.

-Paul Acevedo

#3099 Matty B

Matty B

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I've got the XBLA disc that came with Sega Superstars Tennis in a holiday bundle a few years ago, and I've been messing around with it tonight. The disc can be installed to the hard drive, and all the games on it show up individually in the games list (note: this still happens whether the disc is installed or not), but the games still play from the disc, and the Xbox still spins the disc up when the games are loaded, which defeats the whole purpose of installing the disc in the first place.

I tried this with both Boom Boom Rocket and Feeding Frenzy. Downloaded the trial versions, inserted the disc, then the full versions showed up in my games list. But the disc started spinning up when I loaded the games. Ejected the disc and the games reverted back to the trial versions and played off the hard drive.

I own the full versions of Pac Man CE and Uno, which are also on that disc, and those still played off the hard drive with the disc installed and in the machine.

So yeah, I don't think the trial thing works, at least not for this particular disc.

Edited by MWB, 16 December 2012 - 10:06 AM.

mwb1138.gif

#3100 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

More Kinect Party pricing details revealed

Also, I've been playing the game for a few days and it's quite a substantial improvement over HAT. However, the Facebook photo uploading doesn't work yet and the controls/voice commands for photo-related things are not explained as well as they could be. Still, it's great that they have those things since sharing the silliness will add a lot of value to the game.

(Also posted this in the general Kinect thread.)

-Paul Acevedo

#3101 Felder71

Felder71

I am Iron Gland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thank EastX!

Still a little confusing - is just getting the download this week enough to unlock everything for free permanently? Or will you need to open up the game and download the rest from there I'm thinking from some of my friend's perspectives that would simply just go to Marketplace and download but don't have a Kinect to play yet. I guess we'll see, it should make sense once it shows up.
Posted Image

#3102 xbox_man

xbox_man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Those sales pages for the Christmas countdown are no longer working. Wonder what the point of removing them was, as most people would have seen them by now.

#3103 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

That per-channel pricing structure is... weird. I mean, some of the channels in the original game were fine to play with for 60 seconds in between the more substantial ones, but you wouldn't have wanted to pay for them separately. The game worked more as a total package than as individual channels being standouts. I wonder why they think they can make more money this way.

Does "all 36 channels" include the original 19 from DFHAT?

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#3104 CAiNiAC

CAiNiAC

~Baby got Backlog~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

That per-channel pricing structure is... weird. I mean, some of the channels in the original game were fine to play with for 60 seconds in between the more substantial ones, but you wouldn't have wanted to pay for them separately. The game worked more as a total package than as individual channels being standouts. I wonder why they think they can make more money this way.

But you don't have to purchase individually if you don't want to, its an option. Some people may only want a particular channel after it gets a good review. For people like you there is the complete purchase option.

apathy.gif                                                                                                                                     NothingfaceICON1.gif

#3105 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

But you don't have to purchase individually if you don't want to, its an option.

Oh yeah, I think that was pretty clear from eastx's article. I just think it's a strange option.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#3106 Sanges99

Sanges99

This is good, right? I mean, it doesn't suck...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Quick question was thinking about buying Saints Row 2 is there anyway to use Microsoft points or do I need to actually pay the ten dollars ?

I'm gonna start taking a shot every time this question is asked. :beer:

Me & you, TylerH, we'll get wasted by the end of next week over this. \\:D/

Whenever Reddjoey (or whomever) makes the next inaugural installment of this thread, we could put the process (for buying GOD with points--NOT me & Tyler getting wasted) in the second post along with the FAQ, and then give a blanket statement to check the FAQ, amiright? Ah hell, no one will read that much either I suppose. :-#

Posted Image

#3107 BettercallPitPat

BettercallPitPat

to-go cup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Those sales pages for the Christmas countdown are no longer working. Wonder what the point of removing them was, as most people would have seen them by now.

Just us deal/game super nerds, most people (Xbox owners) probably have no idea. MS post stuff early quite a bit and pull it, makes you wonder if it really is just one person hitting all the switches.

#3108 Masters_93

Masters_93

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Indeed it was on sale last month for 400MSP.

Dammit, I missed it. :cry:

Maybe next time.

#3109 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

i don't consider myself to be that good at video games, i did not find rayman to be overly challenging playing single player

i would say the difficulty was fair, nothing compared to the difficulty of donkey kong country returns

I'm with you. It does get crazy hard after the 'ending' though. I did not do everything in the game, but there is a ton of content that i did finish. I think i spend 20 hours on it. Excellent game even having only played it in single player.

#3110 ethan1013

ethan1013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I see a few tempting games to pick up. For sure Mark of the Ninja, Fez & Trials Evolution.

Edited by ethan1013, 16 December 2012 - 07:47 PM.

Ethan1013.png

#3111 E.Nich

E.Nich

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Dammit, I missed it. :cry:

Maybe next time.

Well, Warp seemed to me a game with potential to be on sale several times. So maybe you won't have to wait too much (if you are lucky).

#3112 VersionJ

VersionJ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

I think we need a list of arcade collections that work with the demo download. Kinda like shipwrecks guide to half priced arcade games. Once my friends and I figured that out, we went nuts! I'll try the few I have, in the morning.

#3113 ethan1013

ethan1013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

Looks like I'm probably in for Dawnguard too.

Ethan1013.png

#3114 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Agreed that it is weird. I think maybe they're leaving it open to the possibility of adding new individual channels down the line. That or they just want impulse buys from people who only have 80 Points to spend.

Yes, the 36 channels includes the content from the first game. I think 1 has something like 18-ish, maybe a bit less, and part 2 pushes it up to 18.

-Paul Acevedo

#3115 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

I'm with you. It does get crazy hard after the 'ending' though. I did not do everything in the game, but there is a ton of content that i did finish. I think i spend 20 hours on it. Excellent game even having only played it in single player.

I haven't play any Donkey Kong series, but I do have Donkey Kong Country returns. I was curious which Donkey Kong game should I start if I want to know about it's story and such if there is any.
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#3116 xbox_man

xbox_man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Is the Kinect Party game for free, going to be free for everyone or only people with kinect, I ask as I dont have kinect but will buy one sooner or later.
I think I remember another kinect game free for a little while but only people with Kinect could get it for free.

#3117 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Is the Kinect Party game for free, going to be free for everyone or only people with kinect, I ask as I dont have kinect but will buy one sooner or later.
I think I remember another kinect game free for a little while but only people with Kinect could get it for free.

No, you didn't need to own a Kinect to get previous free games Haunt and Wreckateer. You won't need to own one to get Kinect Party. Also, we ask questions with question marks. ;)

-Paul Acevedo

#3118 xbox_man

xbox_man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

No, you didn't need to own a Kinect to get previous free games Haunt and Wreckateer. You won't need to own one to get Kinect Party. Also, we ask questions with question marks. ;)

Wasn't there an app you had to get Haunt through, but you had to have Kinect to use the app?

#3119 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Wasn't there an app you had to get Haunt through, but you had to have Kinect to use the app?

No, Haunt is a normal game that's downloaded like any other game.

What you're probably thinking of are some apps for Kinect Fun Labs which need to be downloaded through the Fun Labs hub.

#3120 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

No, Haunt is a normal game that's downloaded like any other game.

What you're probably thinking of are some apps for Kinect Fun Labs which need to be downloaded through the Fun Labs hub.

No he's right, I remember trying to download a free Kinect game (it might of been Haunt, don't remember) but it wouldn't let me because I didn't have a Kinect. I've only seen that happen that one and only time though, I've downloaded other free Kinect games.