XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5867 replies to this topic

#3631 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Director of Publishing/Marketing for Crafty Minor Too

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Says the bloke whose nearly every post in the other thread about this sale was a smartassed, unhelpful response... :p But don't worry, I might find it ever so slightly endearing.

Not really. I only count 2 kind-of snarky ones, out of 11.

You're like a wise wizard. Nicely put man.

Thanks.

The reason I actually came to this thread (which I completely forgot about) was to mention the demos I tried tonight and ask a couple questions. Specifically, I wasn't overly impressed with Frogger or RAW. I see that Frogger has many modes, but only one is unlocked in the trial. Are any of the other modes any better?

As for RAW, I found the trial to be a tad difficult. Can anyone speak to the difficulty of the game? Or is it just that I suck at dungeon crawlers?

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#3632 Prinnybomb

Prinnybomb

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

In for Fez, Trine 2, & Mark of the Ninja! Feels good to finally use my points from Target's BF deal. Hopefully Dust will be half off :D

#3633 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

aahh the age of gamers here is starting to show

+1

#3634 rapsodist

rapsodist

My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

I think those of you who don't like Fez may be missing the point. You can certainly judge it as something not worth your time, but take care in how you make that judgement. I'd hazard a guess that you first seek and prioritize complexity and innovation in your gameplay, as most do naturally. Fez is made for gamers who are looking for an altogether different sort of game--something simple but pure in its existence and experience.

For example, a Christopher Nolan or J. J. Abrams movie is something great that I can recommend to everybody because it represents the best of all aspects of filmmaking and entertainment, but I'd take care in whom I recommend a Wim Wenders or Terence Malick film. The latter directors make great films but they're not for everyone. And that's the thing: great art doesn't have to be for everyone. This sort of distinction is something that's largely lacking in the gaming community; we're still tied to the idea that a game's worth is based solely on whether we like it or not and whether we think everyone else will like it, too. Yes, games should be fun, but we should also try to think about games as more than entertainment and examine them using the same methodology we apply to other media (e.g. critical theory and art movements).

Anyway, I think I've defended and spoken more about Fez than I've ever intended to. :lol:

#3635 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

So what the hell is the Scratch and Match prize this week? Not that I'll ever win it, already have seen the loser prizes many times lol.

What is a scratch and match? Is it some event on Xbox's website?
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#3636 murphyspub

murphyspub

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

It wasn't a comparison of game style. Just that both are old and washed up games that are not fun to play now a days. I know what each game is and know they aren't the same thing. Go troll somewhere else and enjoy your gamestop bunny game.

You have no idea what FEZ is.

#3637 MangoRyu28

MangoRyu28

I just gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

Its not just the graphics the trial was boring as hell and I prefer games with more than a couple buttons being used. To me no classic games age well. As much as I would like to play Streets of Rage, Sonic classics, Fez, among others.....its just not happening since they are boring as hell and have no skill involved just luck.

Wow, what a baddie! I wasn't going to comment but when you said no classic game ages well and involves no skill I had too. Are you saying that you can beat all the sonic's without using save states will little to no effort? are you saying that classic games such as Street Fighter 2 take no skill and are not still played at tournaments? Also, how dare you insult Streets of Rage. I understand you are subjected to your own opinion, but think before you bash classic games. Their is a reason they are called "classics".

In other news, I have picked up Sonic Ep2, Joe Danger 2, and Mark of the ninja. Currently thinking about buying some more points for Trine 2, Jet Set, and Deadlight.... Great deals so far.

#3638 thejnc

thejnc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Bought Trine 2 and Hell Yeah.

#3639 irafreak

irafreak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

All the lego games (with the exception of complete star wars) are still showing up on sale for me. I'm still trying to decide if I should buy indiana 2 (thought one was kinda tedious compared to the star wars), pirates and batman...

#3640 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Fez is tempting for $5, but Fish sounds like a dick. Wish it was 75% off -- especially since it was never fixed.

#3641 IronChariot

IronChariot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Does anyone recommend Joe Danger 2?

#3642 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Fez is tempting for $5, but Fish sounds like a dick. Wish it was 75% off -- especially since it was never fixed.

it was fixed. that problem only effected existing saves, not new games. it was covered in this thread in a lot of detail a few weeks back if you want to look for it.

#3643 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Off Topic: So we're judging creative works by the artists' behavior now? I'm not getting rid of my Appetite for Destruction CD just because Axl is and always was a pompous ass, just like I'll never stop enjoying Chinatown or Rosemary's Baby. I do not condone what they say or do, but unless (as someone mentioned before) Phil Fish appears in a cutscene in the game spouting off his rhetoric, let's just judge Fez on its own merits.
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#3644 MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

Does anyone recommend Joe Danger 2?

I got the game from Raptr a couple months back and I didnt enjoy the game very much.My little Brother on the other hand absolutely enjoys the game.So I guess its really up to if you like that style of game.

#3645 IronChariot

IronChariot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

I got the game from Raptr a couple months back and I didnt enjoy the game very much.My little Brother on the other hand absolutely enjoys the game.So I guess its really up to if you like that style of game.

I liked the first one despite the frustrating end and annoying music, so I'm considering it.

#3646 IronChariot

IronChariot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

it was fixed. that problem only effected existing saves, not new games. it was covered in this thread in a lot of detail a few weeks back if you want to look for it.

Thanks, that makes the purchasing decision easier.

#3647 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

In other news, picked up Mark of the Ninja and Hell Yeah! since the demos were really fun and plan on getting Dust as well.

512847.png

#3648 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Downloaded Fez and Mark of the Ninja--two down, two to go (Dust: An Elysian Tail and Skyrim: Dawnguard) from the daily sales for me.

Shadow of Mordor ( :ps4:) Best Buy Preorder DLC for sale - PM me with offers!

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps4: The Evil Within [No-Upgrade Run] :ps3: Tales of Xillia 2 :vita: One Piece: Unlimited World Red

Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [10/19]:  :vita: Akiba's Trip (4.5/5)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#3649 SonicXtreme

SonicXtreme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

I see that Frogger has many modes, but only one is unlocked in the trial. Are any of the other modes any better?

I wouldn't say better. some of them are just challenges. some of them are like, a sort of 'paint the board' type things, they might add a little spice to multiplayer but in single player i wouldn't say they add too much.

also load times are really bad and freezes/glitches run rampant, it's the only arcade game i'm genuinely pissed they never patched (since my fez game has seemingly gone unscrewed up lol). can i recommend it any less? the art style and aesthetics are really cool. which is how i got suckered into buying it lol but if i could swap it for the barebones arcade port on xbla i would in a second, the load times are just stupid for a 'pickup for 5 minutes then do something else' game like this and it just freezes/glitches too darn much. but i'm a sucker for art/aesthetics so i bought day 1 before message board topics about glitches and freezes were at my disposal.

hell yeah, finally picked up hell yeah. looked great from day 1 but just seemed like a 'wait till xmas you'll get it half off' game. i'm glad the dlc isn't half off, it looks pointless. what a great sega/arkedo release, only touched it so far but it already seems much better than outland (this feels like outland meets hard corps in a good way).

#3650 MagmaOasis

MagmaOasis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'm trying NOT to cave on Trine 2, simply because idk how much i would play it.

Gonna decide on serious sam 3 monday i guess.

I still want Deadlight, Dust, Walking Dead, and maybe Trials evo... good thing i won that extra 1600 points or i'd be completely screwed.

#3651 biledriver

biledriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Off Topic: So we're judging creative works by the artists' behavior now? I'm not getting rid of my Appetite for Destruction CD just because Axl is and always was a pompous ass, just like I'll never stop enjoying Chinatown or Rosemary's Baby. I do not condone what they say or do, but unless (as someone mentioned before) Phil Fish appears in a cutscene in the game spouting off his rhetoric, let's just judge Fez on its own merits.

You don't really get to tell anyone how to look at what they purchase. A small game like this where the chief person behind it is a smartass internet troll is different then major games, films or music to some of us.

Let us view it how we want, it's not hurting you.

#3652 Torik_Shai

Torik_Shai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

On the fence about Mark of the Ninja. I know it's gotten tons of praise, but so did Shank and I didn't much enjoy what I played of that (which, admittedly, was just the trial).

#3653 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Doesn't Trine 2 have a bunch of DLC to purchase? It's why I'm hesitant to buy it, when the Wii U is supposed to have all that included, plus a bunch of enhanced new stuff.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#3654 ChaosLaw

ChaosLaw

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

You don't really get to tell anyone how to look at what they purchase. A small game like this where the chief person behind it is a smartass internet troll is different then major games, films or music to some of us.

Let us view it how we want, it's not hurting you.

Also, it's different from judging a work. Saying I refuse to buy something because I don't like the developer or that his words echoing as I play the game by mere association might deter me from purchasing is not the same as, say, deducting points off its score. Games aren't bought just because they're 'good;' they're bought because they maximize pleasure, whether that's more a function of how many hours you get out of a game, how enjoyable those hours are, and how much you pay for it, or even whether you like the developer or not are ultimately up to the person (potentially) buying it.

With that said, his personality doesn't diminish my pleasure from this game enough to avoid its purchase. But, obviously, that's just me.

#3655 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Maybe to lure in the younger generation they can do to Fez what they did to Cave Story on the 3DS. Cave Story 3D is an incredible visual upgrade, and could see it working for Fez as well. Though I grew up on a NES so Fez and Cave Story are perfect the way they are to me.

723268.png

#3656 skonson

skonson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Doesn't Trine 2 have a bunch of DLC to purchase? It's why I'm hesitant to buy it, when the Wii U is supposed to have all that included, plus a bunch of enhanced new stuff.

The DLC you mentioned for Trine 2 is only available for the PC and the Wii U. It is unlikely to come to any other consoles.

Though i would caution you that yes it does have more content on the Wii U but if you're at all interested in online play with it then the Wii U is likely a bad bet as I heard that there's not one soul ever on there playing Trine 2. I'm not sure if it's much better on Xbox, being an older game, but I'm sure you'd have a lot better luck online there. So it does depend on what you're looking for. Also the Magic Mayhem mode that was promised with the Wii U title didn't arrive at launch, with no idea of when it might be updated. Not sure if it'll be part of the update Frozenbyte promised would come out mid-December which was meant to fix the gamma problem the game had, not sure if that update has come out either. But IMHO as it stands basically the Wii U version is the Xbox version with the PC DLC. It's $20 vs $5 though which as a CAG seals the deal for me. Also note that you're looking at close to a 2GB download on the Wii U so if you were planning on planting it onto your harddrive room will likely be tight.

By the way has anyone had issues buying Rayman Origins? It shows as $9.99 on the page but when I go to pay it shows up as $19.99. Annoys me as I've moved to Australia with my North American Xbox and the PAL disc is region-locked so I can't buy it from a store here.

#3657 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

I think those of you who don't like Fez may be missing the point. You can certainly judge it as something not worth your time, but take care in how you make that judgement. I'd hazard a guess that you first seek and prioritize complexity and innovation in your gameplay, as most do naturally. Fez is made for gamers who are looking for an altogether different sort of game--something simple but pure in its existence and experience.

For example, a Christopher Nolan or J. J. Abrams movie is something great that I can recommend to everybody because it represents the best of all aspects of filmmaking and entertainment, but I'd take care in whom I recommend a Wim Wenders or Terence Malick film. The latter directors make great films but they're not for everyone. And that's the thing: great art doesn't have to be for everyone. This sort of distinction is something that's largely lacking in the gaming community; we're still tied to the idea that a game's worth is based solely on whether we like it or not and whether we think everyone else will like it, too. Yes, games should be fun, but we should also try to think about games as more than entertainment and examine them using the same methodology we apply to other media (e.g. critical theory and art movements).

Anyway, I think I've defended and spoken more about Fez than I've ever intended to. :lol:

:applause: Excellent analogy. I bought FEZ at launch and don't regret it. It's a great game.

To my surprise I'm passing on a few of the games I thought I was going to buy like Frogger for now. They really should have let us play more than one mode in the trial. RAW was boring and I wished I was playing Torchlight while playing it so I'll stick to that instead. I did buy Joe Danger 2 since I liked the demo and own the first game.

I'm going to play the trials for Mark of the Ninja and Trine 2 but I'm assuming I'll buy both. I'll have to see what else is on sale.

For whoever mentioned passing on RB3 because they like to bring their disc to other people's houses, thank you for reminding me that I do the same. That saved me $10.

#3658 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

:applause: Excellent analogy. I bought FEZ at launch and don't regret it. It's a great game.

To my surprise I'm passing on a few of the games I thought I was going to buy like Frogger for now. They really should have let us play more than one mode in the trial. RAW was boring and I wished I was playing Torchlight while playing it so I'll stick to that instead. I did buy Joe Danger 2 since I liked the demo and own the first game.

I'm going to play the trials for Mark of the Ninja and Trine 2 but I'm assuming I'll buy both. I'll have to see what else is on sale.

For whoever mentioned passing on RB3 because they like to bring their disc to other people's houses, thank you for reminding me that I do the same. That saved me $10.

For RB3 you could always just throw the game and DLC on a USB stick, that's what I did.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#3659 Sath666

Sath666

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Damn, these deals are excellent. Shame i already got all of these before.

At least downloaded the new Trials Evo dlc - Riders of Doom. A lot of content for just 400msp, but boy, they sure are raised up time requirements for Gold and Platinum medals. Much harder than base game and first dlc pack.

#3660 IronChariot

IronChariot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

I hope the PC port of Trials Evo will be worth the wait.