XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5867 replies to this topic

#1411 SonicXtreme

SonicXtreme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

i bought puzzle fighter blind cos it looks good. it's kind of weird. honestly i just expected dr robotnik's mean bean machine. but this seems deeper i guess? the tuitorial is hinting at tricks i'm going to have to look up online? i figured this would be more pick up and play. i guess i'll get used to it but i feel like by the time i learn all the mechanics/tricks i'll be so good at it that playing local multi won't be fun lol and thats basically what i got it for. oh well it was only under four bucks after the msp discount.

#1412 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

I didn't do a major update but I did tweak the GH/DJ Hero sale info a bit for three reasons:

a) the Guitar Hero Facebook page finally verified how long the sale lasts (through 11/19)
b) a Lynyrd Skynyrd pack is on sale, which XBLDB totally missed
c) most importantly, the Jimi Hendrix track packs are ONLY compatible with Guitar Hero World Tour and are not forward-compatible with GH5 or Warriors of Rock. Thanks to intoxicated662 for motivating me to look into this.

I'm not keen on the formatting of the note I appended, but it'll do.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

Stream KMFDM's new album KUNST in its entirety here!

#1413 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

The wording suggest only a few are going to get their hands on one of those systems.

Very few were online in Nov. 2002, but that doesn't mean the program is of limited duration. My 10-year date will happen on Jan. 13th, 2013, and the amount I've paid more than makes up for the net-traffic & $99 cost to make an Xbox 360. Obviously I can't speak for others, but if I had 8+ years invested in XBL Gold subscriptions, the appeal of an extra 360 would keep me around 2 more years.

Think of this as the new phone you get every 2 years from your cellular provider. :lol:

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#1414 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Very few were online in Nov. 2002, but that doesn't mean the program is of limited duration. My 10-year date will happen on Jan. 13th, 2013, and the amount I've paid more than makes up for the net-traffic & $99 cost to make an Xbox 360. Obviously I can't speak for others, but if I had 8+ years invested in XBL Gold subscriptions, the appeal of an extra 360 would keep me around 2 more years.

Think of this as the new phone you get every 2 years from your cellular provider. :lol:

You've got me beat. My 10 year is in March next year. I'm assuming I won't get a free 360 though. I could wax nostalgic all night about how fun it was in those early days. Remember when people hacked games and there was no policing? We didn't care because everyone was just having stupid fun. I miss those days. I rarely play multiplayer anymore since it's become so cut-throat and all about the winning.

#1415 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

You've got me beat. My 10 year is in March next year. I'm assuming I won't get a free 360 though. I could wax nostalgic all night about how fun it was in those early days. Remember when people hacked games and there was no policing? We didn't care because everyone was just having stupid fun. I miss those days. I rarely play multiplayer anymore since it's become so cut-throat and all about the winning.

I've done almost nothing with my Gold subscription but use it for the deals and other minor perks - good thing I never paid anywhere near full price for a year's worth then... - but I've been having a blast with Halo 4. I'm pretty confident much of that has to do with playing with people I know and not a bunch of unknown assholes.

Microsoft, if you're listening, I'd love some perks for being a 5-year Live user ;)

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

#1416 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Debating on if I'll get either of the Puzzle Quest games. If I have neither and am only looking to get one, which would be the better of the two to purchase?

As I said a page or two ago, Puzzle Quest 1 is a much better game than 2, so that's the one to get if you only buy one. Part 2 is wayyy too long thanks to tons of unnecessary padding, and the art style is much worse. Check out mah review for more details - I even interviewed one of the producers and artists to make sure I got all the details right.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1417 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

I didn't do a major update but I did tweak the GH/DJ Hero sale info a bit for three reasons:

a) the Guitar Hero Facebook page finally verified how long the sale lasts (through 11/19)
b) a Lynyrd Skynyrd pack is on sale, which XBLDB totally missed
c) most importantly, the Jimi Hendrix track packs are ONLY compatible with Guitar Hero World Tour and are not forward-compatible with GH5 or Warriors of Rock. Thanks to intoxicated662 for motivating me to look into this.

I'm not keen on the formatting of the note I appended, but it'll do.

Thanks for that, picking up the LS pack tonight. Am on the phone with Microsoft about the JH Track Pack issues. Hoping to get credited back the amount, if not then oh well lost out on 440 MSP. The GH store hasn't been working lately. Not from the 360 app nor within the game.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1418 captpluto9465

captpluto9465

CAGalicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

As someone who bought I Am Alive at full price when it launched, I can't recommend it at 800 because that's what it should have launched at. It has a lot of great ideas and alot of challenge but the controls are cumbersome and messy.

Hmm, so 600 or heck, even 400 sounds like the sweet spot. Sounds like Hydrophobia, which I enjoyed, but it was clunky. Maybe next year...

#1419 biledriver

biledriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

As I said a page or two ago, Puzzle Quest 1 is a much better game than 2, so that's the one to get if you only buy one. Part 2 is wayyy too long thanks to tons of unnecessary padding, and the art style is much worse. Check out mah review for more details - I even interviewed one of the producers and artists to make sure I got all the details right.

I have to stand against eastx here. I would say Puzzle Quest 2 is the better game and has more to offer. I mean, it's a puzzle rpg, why wouldn't I want it to be longer even if it's padded?

I even disagree that the art style is worse. To each his own though. But I think at the very least, eastx is overselling a drastic difference in the games. Neither is "much better" than the other in my opinion. They are really quite similar in what they offer. Galactrix was the only major departure for the series.

Secondly, would anyone recommend Catan or Carcassonne if I never play online with people? I don't know if playing against computer opponents would even be worth half price.

#1420 BettercallPitPat

BettercallPitPat

to-go cup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

having played about an hour of it now, I personally think PQ1 is much better. there are stupid screens in PQ2 after every battle that show you what you "won" and how much xp you got, and what the quest you finished is called, and what your next quest is, last way too long and cant be quickened with a button, to where i just want to cut the crap and keep moving.

and the art style is kinda shit, i prefer the map travel style of #1, the new style seems unecessary, NPCs only serve a purpose when designated a quest, and you look like a damn chess piece moving around.

im 7 beers in, and this is my rant. if you must choose 1, chose puzzle quest 1!

#1421 E.Nich

E.Nich

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

After paying attention to your reasonings, I guess I'll get only Puzzle Quest 1 this week. Thanks guys.

#1422 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I've done almost nothing with my Gold subscription but use it for the deals and other minor perks - good thing I never paid anywhere near full price for a year's worth then... - but I've been having a blast with Halo 4. I'm pretty confident much of that has to do with playing with people I know and not a bunch of unknown assholes. Microsoft, if you're listening, I'd love some perks for being a 5-year Live user ;)

Ha, I'm right there with you! Check out my GS, and tell me if you think my Gold subscription is being used for anything but DOTW's! :lol:

Regarding my comment ... obviously we'll find out more info later on, but I'm still holding onto my theory this is a continuing program going forward, if only for the obvious reason that anyone using the "#XboxLIVEis10" hash-tag were all beta-testers, and it would be very dick'ish of MS to reward ONLY the beta testers for a system that MS never fully understood until the 360's required an overhaul of the service. If you've given MS something like $500 over 10 years, then the $99 COGS of a 4gb system is an easy write-off to push out 360's in the year before (and year after) the 720 releases @ Xmas 2013.

BTW, on another topic of "buying full-price games" ... if "Derrick the Deathfin" came to XBLA, I'd buy it for full-price in a heartbeat (and double-dip on PC @ sale-price) ... it's what I wanted from Sonic Episode 4 (but never got), and Gordon Midwood was idiotic to hope for PSN sales when Joe Danger didn't do well there either. This kind of game would've "killed" over Thanksgiving weekend (when the entire USA is focused upon "eating"), and simply mentioning the game is made from "paper-craft" would probably bring in the Minecraft fanatics as well. :D

And finally ... kudos to Griptonite/Atari for releasing Warlords this week ... it's only been 17 LONG MONTHS since the announcement trailer, and at least 1 year since the avatar clothing showed up. Congratulations!!! :beer:

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#1423 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Secondly, would anyone recommend Catan or Carcassonne if I never play online with people? I don't know if playing against computer opponents would even be worth half price.

I feel entirely stupid for never launching Carcassonne, even though I got it as part of the great XBL "we F'd up big-time!" apology. I'd have to think it plays OK as a solo game, since MS just released the WinPhone version.

I can easily say, however, that Catan is still very fun playing solo, since that's the only way I've played it. When presented with the actual board-game last summer, I didn't fare too badly at all against human opponents, so you'll definitely get your money's worth. By changing the difficulty or experimenting with the "win" conditions (such as reducing the required # victory points down to 6), it will also help you think more strategically when faced against aggressive or advantaged humans ... not to mention help you attain the "Longest Road" or "Largest Army" achievements. :D

You can skip the "Mayfair Skin Pack", though, since it makes the cards much harder to recognize. The "Generals Pack 1" DLC is very optional if you have points to blow, but there's only so many sliders they can change on the AI, so there's little to differentiate Joan of Arc from Cleopatra, except how stubborn or generous they can be in trades.

GameSpot's review is fairly accurate & complete, but like most of the Metacritic sources for its "81" rating, I would've bumped it up a few notches, since back in 2007, it was one of the first solid strategy games on XBLA: http://www.gamespot....review-6170049/

70109.png

#1424 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

im 7 beers in, and this is my rant. if you must choose 1, chose puzzle quest 1!

Take that, Biledriver! ;) You know, art is in the eye of the beholder, but as someone with an Associates of Arts, PQ 1's art is much more technically solid, while part 2's is more generic. Some people may just not like the Japanese-inspired art style of part 1, but it comes from a much better artist than part 2 got. But it's good that you enjoyed 2, as I did - just less than the original.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1425 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Interested in a Timesplitters 4? Crytek will supposedly do it if they get 300,000 signatures. Please sign, and tell all your gamer friends. :)

#1426 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

[quote name='sicsonic']Interested in a Timesplitters 4? Crytek will supposedly do it if they get 300,000 signatures. Please sign, and tell all your gamer

I'm really getting tired of Crytek. If you go on xbox360achievements.org you'll see something about (posted almost every other week) claiming there isn't enough demand for a sequel,yet they'll talking about Crysis 4 already. Seems like they're just being attention whores lately.

#1427 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hmm, so 600 or heck, even 400 sounds like the sweet spot. Sounds like Hydrophobia, which I enjoyed, but it was clunky. Maybe next year...

I Am Alive is a much, much better game than Hydrophobia.

I did not regret my purchase at 1200, personally. It is a very interesting game with some design ideas that i bet will get lifted and used in more successful games in the near future.

#1428 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Ha, I'm right there with you! Check out my GS, and tell me if you think my Gold subscription is being used for anything but DOTW's! :lol:

Yeah, I just broke 17k. I've spent way too much time scouring for deals and not nearly enough time actually playing the games, but I've been trying to step it up, especially now that there's an incentive to hit 25k. :D

#1429 Juice el Savior

Juice el Savior

Urban Yeti

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Well, im ashamed to say that im excited for what might pop up on sale tomorrow, part of me has me thinking that the Japan Website Info is probably just region based and that Microsoft is going to do so much better than that with their 10 year anniversary.

On a side note, this is my 3rd Xbox Live account since launch, im kicking myself for not holding onto the same one...

fs_xbox.png

ach.png

Currently Playing: Halo 4, CS:GO (360), Skyrim, and Garou: MotW (360)

#1430 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

On a side note, this is my 3rd Xbox Live account since launch, im kicking myself for not holding onto the same one...

Been reading a lot of similar sentiments today, and struggling to understand it. I can't imagine getting rid of my account and starting over, after the ridiculous amount of money I've spent on DLC, XBLA games, avatar clothes, and whatever else. Not to mention losing my gamerscore. And I only got an Xbox in 2009.

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#1431 Juice el Savior

Juice el Savior

Urban Yeti

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Been reading a lot of similar sentiments today, and struggling to understand it. I can't imagine getting rid of my account and starting over, after the ridiculous amount of money I've spent on DLC, XBLA games, avatar clothes, and whatever else. Not to mention losing my gamerscore. And I only got an Xbox in 2009.

Well Gamerscore was no big deal. I didnt get a 360 until about a year after it was out and i was in college. My hotmail account tied to my 1st gamertag was deactivated because i never used it and I just figured id start fresh with a free month of XBL. Fastforward a few years later and I had to spend a year on home confinement fighting charges that prevented me from having access to the internet (long story, no im not on a sex offender's list so take what you will from that) which in turn kept me from playing xbox again. When my charges were finally dropped and i had the cash I picked up the Elite that i have now and did the same thing with the free month of live. Coincidentally Reach came out when i created the newer account (the current one) and i didn't want to earn all the XP that I had already put in alot of time for.

I know, long winded (probably unbelievable story) but without counting my first account that I CANT get access to ever again I guess you could say I have 6.5-7 years from now, but hot damn I can still remember buying a 50 ft ethernet cable and lining the outside of my house from my living room (wireless routers and wireless xbl adapters werent an option then) to my upstairs bedroom from the OUTSIDE, because Mom wouldnt let me drill one tiny simple unnoticable hole in the corner of the back of the living room (only woulda needed a 20 ft cable that way.

I do miss the simpler times of being younger :cry:

fs_xbox.png

ach.png

Currently Playing: Halo 4, CS:GO (360), Skyrim, and Garou: MotW (360)

#1432 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

PQ1 was so good that my non gamer wife watched me play it then went all the way back through it again by herself. We were both super excited about PQ 2 and neither one of us liked it.

Puzzle Quest 1 fo sho.
Posted Image

#1433 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

PQ1 > PQ2
But it's much harder

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#1434 LeonSKennedy

LeonSKennedy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Do not, under any circumstances, buy Full House Poker. Worst purchase I've ever made in over 100 XBLA games.

I couldn't agree more. I bought this when I was into poker, and I think I've played it less than 5 times. There's no redeeming quality to it. No one at the table takes it seriously (then again they may not even have a community of players there anymore to take it seriously- the last time I played it was quite popular). It was more a "get-together" of people who had a semi-interest in poker, and it was a dumb experience.

Every hand someone went all-in, so anyone trying to play a "legitimate" game of skilled poker will find themselves pissed within minutes. Now don't get me wrong. It can be fun if you don't take it too seriously, but I wanted to feel like my skill at understanding the game meant something. Instead, it's an "all-in" fest.

Rambojr03.png

card.png

fs.png

#1435 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

it's an "all-in" fest.

Spoiler

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#1436 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

^Haha that's good stuff. I had no idea that was the name of the book she wrote about him either. Hilarious.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1437 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hmm, the Denver news said the book had a different title.

#1438 Dthib87

Dthib87

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Hmm, the Denver news said the book had a different title.

The also see flying saucers so...

#1439 Skram

Skram

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

So might just be me being lazy or not looking hard enough but they're going to be having a 10 year anniversary sale. I'm not sure if there is a list anywhere yet but it's at least confirmed that Castle Crashers will be half off from the Behemoth blog. Get Hype to a degree.

#1440 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

#TheWalkingDead Season Finale from @telltalegames hits 11/20 PSN NA, 11/21 PSN EU, XBLA, PC/MAC, & iOS. #ForClementine pic.twitter.com/vbYWoLUy