Photo
- - - - -

Anxiety/Fear

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Anybody here suffer from anxiety? I've been suffering from it ever since I became unemployed.

During the day, I feel guilty I'm not working so I feel anxious. Before interviews, I feel anxious.

Fear and anxiety come hand in hand so I've heard, and I've felt fearful/uncomfortable driving lately, which really sucks.

I take meds for it - Lorezepam 1MG and Seroquil XL 50 MG but all the Seroquil does is make me sleep a full day.

And I admit, I drink lots of caffenine throughout the day, and that probably doesn't help things. I think I'll try cutting back on the caffenine and see if that makes a difference.

Anybody have any tips for coping with anxiety?
Posted Image

#2 twiceborn

twiceborn

SAY WHAT?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Cutting caffeine would be a smart choice. One of the side effects of caffeine is that it can cause or exacerbate anxiety disorders.

Starting an exercise routine will help to alleviate a great deal of stress and anxiety. Also, consider taking up yoga. There are many different types of yoga, ranging from a very relaxing yin yoga to a vigorous yang yoga, which you can do from the confort of your home.

"When I die, I want to go just like my grandpa, peacefully and in my sleep,... not kicking and screaming like all of his passengers."

Joker: It seems he finally took the stick out of his a#*, but now he wants to beat people to death with it.

#3 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

I agree about the cutting caffeine, that is gonna help for sure. and constructive behavior, like exercise, is also a good way to relieve anxiety.

As someone who works as a therapist with kids who have anxiety (and has had some issues in the past with it, as well as dealing with my gf and her PTSD), I can suggest some of the coping methods that might help. Deep breathing (whether part of an exercise routine or otherwise) is a really useful one. You can learn more about it if you read about meditation, as controlled breathing is a big part of that. Also, you state that you have anxiety before interviews. Self talk is a good way to approach that kind of anxiety. Just keep telling yourself that you have the confidence to succeed and no matter what the outcome is going to be (good or bad), that you can always just keep trying. One way I used to handle anxiety (post meds) was to try and use the negative energy it caused and use it as a positive source.

I hope that may help a little. Let me know if you need any other advice or suggestions. I know that it is really hard to handle/ deal with anxiety (like I said, riding driving with my gf reminds me of it all the time), but with some practice, you can beat it!

Also, Seroquil is some strong shit and is more than likely gonna cause you to want to sleep all day. Have you discussed changing meds with your doctor?

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#4 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

I won't repeat the same advice about caffeine, but I suggest finding an activity that you enjoy, preferably physical if possible or maybe rediscovering an old one. For me, it's getting on my skates. Even a bad day of skating where I wreck myself on the ramps is still a good day and my mental state is great despite any physical pain. I don't have anxiety, but if you're looking for some exercise advice or support, join us in the CAG Lose It thread. It's a great group of guys and a pretty positive thread.

Good luck, man. I'm sure you'll find a job eventually and you can beat anxiety!

edit: You might be surprised, but taking some time out to listen to some music you enjoy helps a lot too. I know it sounds hokey as hell cause that's what I thought the first time I heard it, but now that I'm a little older, I wish I took that advice sooner eventhough I always enjoyed shutting out the world and throwing on some tunes!

Edited by dohdough, 18 October 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#5 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

im pretty much racked with fear anytime i have to drive a car, no idea where that comes from. once i get going i'm comfortable, but my hands often shake as i start the thing up.

i'm weird, i guess.

UjCoyFa.png

#6 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

im pretty much racked with fear anytime i have to drive a car, no idea where that comes from.

You get used to knowing that cops can pull you over to harass you at any time and other drivers being crazy as Fuck.:lol:

I used to get pretty nervous too because I didn't drive that consistently, but now that I do almost everyday and have for a few years, it doesn't bug me that much at all. I still keep an eye out for cops if I go over the speed limit though.;)

#7 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Your problem is actually quite common from even a medical standpoint, many people with anxiety & depression disorders find that their symptoms increase when an unpleasent life altering event such as a losing a job occurs.

Speaking from personal experiences I can tell you that the whole process that comes with being unemployed makes even those without anxiety issues anxious. I found that the best method of dealing with this is to follow the advice dohdough mentioned above and take up an activity or hobby you'd enjoy. Even better if it's a social activity because that helps you often network to find new employment. In my case I found a couple volunteer oppertunities than eventually networked into the career I have now. Plus getting out and doing something positive for yourself or others a few times a week helps cut into the boredom. It also helps if you have someone to be your sounding board and can understand your fears be it a wife, friend, parent, sibling, whomever.

The other half of my advice is on pharmacology. For starters, who is the prescriber of the Lorazepam and Seroquel? If it is you primary care doctor, I cannot encourage you enough to see a psychiatrist or even a psychologist with experience in psycho-pharmacology. To me the Seroquel is actually part of your problem. I and many other pharmacists and psychiatrists will probably tell you that Seroquel & perhaps Adderall are two of the most mis-used medications in the American mental health world. Seroquel is actually a potent drug in the class of Atypical Anti-psychotics and use of it for simple anxiety disorders is actually an 'off-label" usage. Meaning it's original intention was to treat schizophrenia or psychosis often related to a diagnosis such as bipolar disorder, but can often be used for other purposes because of the common effects if has on some people.

It's use for anxiety and depression came from studies done around 2008 or so that found it helped improve some people's scores on anxiety & depression scales as a mood stabilizer. The FDA considered approval for these uses but decided against it as the primary therapy drug. Yet many doctors still prescribe it for anxiety, in fact some even prescribe it as a sleep aid. As more research comes out though the more that is being proved incorrect and the improvement of people's anxiety on the medication is quite moderate and the side effects many experience are often powerful. And yes it is what is causing your drowsiness all day, in fact that is the primary effect it has on most people and it's believed that the "mood stabilizing" effect most feel is actually just lethargy or sedation. Your actually on a relatively low dose of the medication but some patients who start out with a dose of 300+mg/day actually may experience the opposite and have bouts of paranoia.

I'll get off the pharmacist soapbox now but the important thing is to read the material you receive for all your meds, watch for potential side effects, and routinely discuss your meds with your doctor. It's not uncommon for both Lorazepam and Seroquel to need dosage adjustments as well, esepcially if you just recently started taking them. Also, I still encourage you to seek treatment from a psychiatrist if you are not already or ask your primary care doctor if you should be referred to one. I hope some of this helped and I'm sure things will start to improve with a little time as well.

#8 mr_burnzz

mr_burnzz

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I would suggest smoking weed but for some that may even make it worse. Have you tried xanax? I got some but haven't really used it much. Makes me sleepy which I suppose decreases the anxiety but that trade off sucks. Just try to get your life on track again and I'm sure you will be okay. Also, try not giving a Fuck. It's hard to do but worrying about things that can't be helped isn't good for you. Just..Chill out, man~ :)

#9 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Start working out. After a few weeks you will feel so great. If that doesnt kill the anxiety go on Xanax.

#10 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

As others note, exercise should help a ton. I've never had serious anxiety, panic attacks etc., but have a lot of stress at times.

Going for a run or hitting the weights helps a ton.

#11 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Being almost winter, it's tough to get out and walk, but I can always use the treadmill.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist for bipolar also and he suggested the seroquil XL. I haven't been taking it.
Posted Image

#12 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Being almost winter, it's tough to get out and walk, but I can always use the treadmill.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist for bipolar also and he suggested the seroquil XL. I haven't been taking it.

well is the reason you haven't been taking it because it makes you so tired? You should let your doctor know immediately if you stop taking any prescribed medication. I am not a fan of pharms, but if you have to go that route then its best to let your doctor know when you want them changed or adjusted. If they don't listen, you should find another doctor.

if you don't mind me asking what kind of job did you used to work?

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#13 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:39 AM

well is the reason you haven't been taking it because it makes you so tired? You should let your doctor know immediately if you stop taking any prescribed medication. I am not a fan of pharms, but if you have to go that route then its best to let your doctor know when you want them changed or adjusted. If they don't listen, you should find another doctor.

if you don't mind me asking what kind of job did you used to work?

He told me that if it didn't work, don't use it. It was a trial basis.

I used to work as a purchaser for a medical device company.
Posted Image

#14 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

Just read through many of my CAG blogs in the past, I have plenty of anxiety.
Posted Image

#15 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Ice Cream!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

I would echo the positive comments made about exercise. It can definitely help.

I am NOT a psychiatrist, but it sounds like the OP's anxiety is situational to a certain extent. OP, hopefully your circumstances get better and things will start looking up for you. Keep doing what you can to help yourself and take pride in that! Best of luck.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan, 04 December 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#16 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

I remember reading an article saying that if you're nervous before an interview, realize that you "want" the job, not "need" the job.

It works for me... Can't see it working if I'm desperate though LOL

#17 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Found a job and the anxiety has decreased somewhat. Still getting used to driving but that will come eventually.
Posted Image

#18 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

#19 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Then I'd have a new problem: paranoia.
Posted Image

#20 gareman

gareman

www.oneyearintexas.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Try a creative outlet, music, writing, drawing, whatever. Doesn't matter if its good or not, or if you show to anyone ever, just the act of doing it will help immensely.

#21 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

Try a creative outlet, music, writing, drawing, whatever. Doesn't matter if its good or not, or if you show to anyone ever, just the act of doing it will help immensely.

I should start doing my collages again.
Posted Image

#22 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

I definitely suggest finding an activity or hobby you enjoy as well. Could be something physical such as exercise or a more leisure-based activity, but it will help you reduce anxiety. My girlfriend has it and after I suggested this to her she started taking up yoga her anxiety has been much less frequent.

#23 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

This is going to sound like a joke but I'm dead serious. Jerk off. The endorphin release will burn off a bunch of the anxiety chemicals floating around in your brain. Get some exercise, even if it's just going for a ten minute walk around your neighborhood. Pay attention to the sounds and colors around you. Make yourself do something for at least an hour every day so you feel like you're accomplishing something. Clean the house, walk the dog, read a book, so on and so forth, but don't forget the jerking off.

I used to have major panic attacks, to the point of needing some heavy tranqs for awhile.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2