Just got a PS3. Game recommendations?

Geco17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
97 (100%)
Hello,

Thanks for taking time to read this! Wasn't sure what section to put this in, but I figured here would be best. I apologize if it is in the wrong spot though.

So, I just bought my dad a PS3 for his birthday. Only reason he doesn't play more 360 is because my little brothers use it all the time and he rarely can use it. So, I would like to know what are some cheap and good PS3 that fall into the categories of

• Flight Simulation
  • Fighting Games
  • Racing Games

I'm a 360 gamer, so I don't really know what are good exclusives versus the 360. I did have a PS2 and PS1 before, but that was ages ago. PS2/PS1 games he really enjoyed were

• Top Gun
  • Tekken 3-5
  • Supercar: Street Challenge
  • Italian Job

We already have Tekken 6 and Over G fighters on the 360, which he thoroughly enjoys. I think I found some games, but they seemed a little too much for older titles. The ideal price range for the games would be no greater than $5, since I was to build his library. But the budget I put out for is $30 total.
Thanks!

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for fighter. The best Tekken game out there and possibly the best fighter. ;)

*Although this is still over $30*

Burnout Paradise is a great, cheap, open world racer though unfortunately it has no quality offline multiplayer. The Single player and online multiplayer is excellent.

Other games from those categorizes I have heard are good, but have never played, most of these aren't PS3 exclusives:
Dirt 2/3, Gran Turismo, Motorstorm series

Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition is a fighting game with a LOT of content.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

PS3 exclusives not bound by category:
Demon's Souls - old-school difficulty third person action RPG. It has a robust lock-on combat system (think Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of time, but a lot more advanced). and excellent atmosphere. Single player game with light multiplayer components, see here for better explanation of the multiplayer system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14_OICVhKIQ

God of War series: Third-person Devil-may cry style combo combat game. If you haven't played it on the PS2 there are HD collections of the original games.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection - Even if you have played it on the PS3, it is worth it for the improved framerate of Shadow of the Colossus alone.

Infamous series - Third person, open world super hero game. It is more similar to the dark tone of the Dark Knight series than the brighter, chipper superhero series like superman.

Ratcher and Clank series - Third person action platformer with lots and lots of weapons.

Sly Cooper HD collection - Another series from the PS2 days that is a great time to pick-up if you never played it for PS2. Action platformer.

Uncharted series - third person action, cover-based shooter with some platforming. Like playing a quality, off-brand Indiana Jones game. Uncharted 2 and 3 have excellent co-op and competitive multiplayer components.

I think you are going to have to adjust your expectations about getting games for $5 or less each. Pretty much the floor on games is $10 around the time they are clearanced out / at mass sale periods like black Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirt 2 (which i like better than Dirt 3 since they added a bunch of weird racing modes)
Gran Turismo 5
Tekken Tag T 2
Ace Combat Assault Horizon

Definately Mortal Kombat 9 ... my favorite fighter this generation

And in case your dad feels like killing some hookers... Gran Theft Auto 4

Thanks guys. Will definitely check out TTT2, Ace Combat, and Gran Turismo. However, since they are a little on the pricer side, I will probably get my dad one or two of those games. Might check out Uncharted as well.

If you like older style zelda games, 3D Dot game heroes is like a love letter to the "Legend of Zelda: Links awakening / link to the past" age of top down dungeon crawlers.

If you can find one or two cheap games (you can get Burnout Paradise for $5 used at best buy if you have one in store) to keep you busy you can probably pick up some cheap stuff on these lists in the next 3-4 weeks around black Friday time.

No greater than $5?! Goodluck with that. Best bet would be buying used from Gamefly. They usually have good deals.

Flight Simulation --> Birds of Steel. The only flight game I played on the ps3 so I'm not an expert, but I enjoyed it. Its fun.

Fighting Games --> Not really a fan of fighting games, so cant really help much. All the rave no is for Tekken Tag T 2...but thats still expenisve. Super Street Fighter IV (not the arcade editon) can be picked up really cheap now.

Racing Games --> Racing simulators or arcade type racing? For simulator, Gran Turismo 5 XL. For aracde, look for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.

Hope this helps.

bread's done
Back