(Telltale) Walking Dead Collector's Edition - Gamestop Exclusive $69.99

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Source: IGN

Telltale has now confirmed to IGN that the Collector’s Edition of The Walking Dead: The Game :)360: :ps3:) will be a GameStop exclusive and is available only to customers who pre-order. As seen below, the set will be available for $69.99 on December 4th and includes:

• A disc containing all five episodes of the game
  • The Walking Dead Compendium One (which normally retails for $59.99 and includes the first 48 issues) with exclusive Charlie Adlard cover art
  • A Collector’s Edition box featuring Charlie Adlard artwork

walkingdeadcag.jpg

---

Retailer exclusive and only through pre-order. This might be one of those collector's editions that doesn't go for half price a few months down the line.

**Available for pre-order now**

The standard release is $29.99 and both SKUs will be out December 4th. [delayed] December 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just say the game is easily worth more than $30. I think it's one of the best experiences this year, to be honest.

This...I don't know. I think being gamestop-only pretty much kills it for me.

It's an ok deal. Book is actually 35 shipped via amazon and the game is 30 dollars. Basically save 5 dollars and get a cool box out of it. Not bitching about it and I think its a great marketing strategy for new comers of the series (both game and book series).

I think it's humorous that one of the bullet points is the compendium retailing for $59.99 yet they're selling both compendiums for $39.99 each. Better yet, Amazon has them for $35.99 each. Since the game is retailing for $29.99, all you're really getting is the exclusive cover and I guess the box. All that being said, I was waiting on the retail disc and I only have the first trade which covers the first six issues, I don't feel as bad paying retail for this. Especially after reading how much praise the game has been getting.

*edit
And what's up with the watermark?

I hate it when GameStop has these exclusives that I want. I don't resent them that much like some of you guys, but I don't have credit there, unlike amazon and BBY...

[quote name='plutoknight']I'll just say the game is easily worth more than $30. I think it's one of the best experiences this year, to be honest.

This...I don't know. I think being gamestop-only pretty much kills it for me.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I've been trying to get Xenoblade Chronicles but it's Gamestop exclusive. Everywhere I look online besides there it's ~$70. I've been to three different Gamestops and all they had were the "New" copies that were open with stickers all over the case, and probably missing the Club Nintendo codes.

A book that's been out for a few years and a big cardboard box classify this as a collector's edition? They're really stretching it.

I'm really excited about the (regular) disc release. I stopped after Episode 1 realizing it's not really something I need to own but I would love to Redbox it or buy it day one and sell/trade when I'm done a week later.

[quote name='kosmos13x']It's an ok deal. Book is actually 35 shipped via amazon and the game is 30 dollars. Basically save 5 dollars and get a cool box out of it. Not bitching about it and I think its a great marketing strategy for new comers of the series (both game and book series).[/QUOTE]

It's $69.99, so that's actually $5 more than $35 + $30 :D

[quote name='notstylin']I feel the same way. I've been trying to get Xenoblade Chronicles but it's Gamestop exclusive. Everywhere I look online besides there it's ~$70. I've been to three different Gamestops and all they had were the "New" copies that were open with stickers all over the case, and probably missing the Club Nintendo codes.[/QUOTE]

You can order from gamestop.com or from nintendo store for xenoblade

[quote name='62t']You can order from gamestop.com or from nintendo store for xenoblade[/QUOTE]

Apparently at this point Nintendo is only selling Xenoblade as part of a bundle with the classic controller: http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=193208&storeId=10001

As for Walking Dead, maybe Telltale will offer this Collector's Edition in their own store for the Gamestop averse.

I f***ing hate store-exclusives, especially Gamestop exclusives.

[quote name='62t']You can order from gamestop.com or from nintendo store for xenoblade[/QUOTE]

I ordered it from gamestop.com. That's nice to know that I can get it from the Nintendo Store. If Gamestop sends me an open new copy I'll just return it and order from Nintendo, since it's only $15 more for the controller bundle.

I just finished episode 4 and have to say, this is one of the best gaming experiences I have had in a long long time.

I'm all over this if they make stackable trophy lists. I would like an excuse to play the game and see the different outcomes.

It's a Walking Dead special edition with an exclusive comics cover. It's a limited edition of a game and a comic, with crossover TV show appeal. It will probably be worth a lot post-release.

I paid like $35 or $40 for the first compendium and just got the second one for $30ish. Game was like $12 for the PC.

There really isn't much exclusive here. If they had a disc version for PC and I could order it for less than $30 I might consider that.

[quote name='kosmos13x']It's an ok deal. Book is actually 35 shipped via amazon and the game is 30 dollars. Basically save 5 dollars and get a cool box out of it. Not bitching about it and I think its a great marketing strategy for new comers of the series (both game and book series).[/QUOTE]

Newcomers like me that will probably get it, yup. Sucks it's GS exclusive but remember, they don't make shit off msrp sales. That will help me sleep at night at least

[quote name='Sway']
And what's up with the watermark?[/QUOTE]

I think it looks pwetty :3

OT, I'm a bit interested in this. I haven't read the books and I want to play the Walking Dead Episodes. It would be cheaper to wait until the retail game gets cheaper and buy the compendium separately though.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']MSRP and in the collectors edition thread.[/QUOTE]

I feel like an ass for not noticing it there (and wouldn't have posted this new thread), but I'll stop short of apologizing. A separate Wii U pre-order thread led me to get my pre-order in at Walmart, so I'm thankful for that. Sometimes [I feel] things need their own thread. I actually checked the gaming forums first to see if it was posted there. You know though, pointing out that it's "MSRP" is hypocritical since you yourself posted this in the collector's thread in this very forums. Regardless, thanks for steering me there :). I can admit when I've done wrong.

[quote name='Sway']And what's up with the watermark?[/QUOTE]

I was bored; thought it'd be goofy.

[quote name='TooPoor']I hate it when GameStop has these exclusives that I want. I don't resent them that much like some of you guys, but I don't have credit there, unlike amazon and BBY...[/QUOTE]

This.

I don't understand why the box is that big if its just the game and comic book. Is there something else not announced like a figurine? I will preorder this once I get more details, its going to be a great x-mas gift to any walking dead fan.

[quote name='Kerig']A book that's been out for a few years and a big cardboard box classify this as a collector's edition? They're really stretching it.

I'm really excited about the (regular) disc release. I stopped after Episode 1 realizing it's not really something I need to own but I would love to Redbox it or buy it day one and sell/trade when I'm done a week later.[/QUOTE]
Steel case no boon and box for 50 maybe i buy. I got the book for 25 shipped long ago think from amazon price dip. If it was not gs i prob get anyways oh well prob be super cheap cause it lacks something that stands out.

[quote name='litepink']Retailer exclusive and only through pre-order. This might be one of those collector's editions that goes for half price a few months down the line. [/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it will go the other way, just like the DOA5 CE, and be real hard to find after the fact. (I don't think it will have the value of the DOA5 CE but I could be wrong, The Walking Dead series is just ridiculously hot right now. )

Anyhow, I really wanted this when I read the new but missed it being a GS exclusive... Now I'm not so sure.

I got it all in comic form (comic, not TPB) so I really don't need the compendium so I should just pass...

[quote name='finstersucks']I don't understand why the box is that big if its just the game and comic book. Is there something else not announced like a figurine? I will preorder this once I get more details, its going to be a great x-mas gift to any walking dead fan.[/QUOTE]

Well the comic is 1000 pages and weighs 5.3 pounds...

I will say that for as much as Publishers complain about GS killing the games industry with used sales they sure don't mind giving them exclusive shit to sell.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I will say that for as much as Publishers complain about GS killing the games industry with used sales they sure don't mind giving them exclusive shit to sell.[/QUOTE]
Textbook definition of love and hate relationship?

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']MSRP and in the collectors edition thread.[/QUOTE]

give it a break... not that I want it but most people wouldn't know this exists to begin with and dont browse the collectors edition thread...

[quote name='TooPoor']Textbook definition of love and hate relationship?[/QUOTE]

It is like having to hug your mortal enemy on a daily basis.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well the comic is 1000 pages and weighs 5.3 pounds...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the comic book isn't 20 inches long and 10 inches high either. The box looks like borderlands 2 ultimate loot size.

Can't recommend the Walking Dead comic enough. If I didn't already have the trades (I'm almost caught up), I'd be in for this set. But I think I'll wait for just the regular edition.

[quote name='finstersucks']Yeah, but the comic book isn't 20 inches long and 10 inches high either. The box looks like borderlands 2 ultimate loot size.[/QUOTE]

True...it could maybe just be funny marketing. Playing with the sizes to fit the ad better.

[quote name='Yigytugd']Come back to me when its $30 at BestBuy or on Amazon.

Jking, partially, but does the standard edition come with all 5 episodes?[/QUOTE]

it does

Just an FYI, that book (the compendium) in the collector's set has been out for a while. They are just releasing a new cover for this edition. If you're really interested in getting into the comics there are easier ways. The Walking Dead is being published in various formats.

1) the compendium (which is gigantically fat)
4500e03ae7a0f922f9fa1210.L._AA300_.jpg

2) the hardcovers (which I prefer, for their modest size and quality)
41Frd-eDWqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

3) the omnibus collector's hardcover (which is a gigantic fat hardcover)
61Ml8ntzYgL._AA300_.jpg

4) and the average collected trade paper back
71AVVKsjVvL._AA300_.jpg

My books on my shelf are mostly the hard covers #2. I have alot of the regular trades (#4). I also have one of the omnibus hardcovers. And I have all the single issues after that. I've held the compendium that they're offering in this Telltalle collector's edition. I just think it's too big, too unwieldly and costly. I'd suggest to anyone interested in reading the story to buy the single trades (#4) they're only $9 each.

The story just passed issue #100 in the single issues and the story is still going strong.

I don't know much about the walking dead comic books or comic books in general but any chance this collectors edition could be worth a lot in the future (not the game but the comic books)

I want this so bad. Never read the comics but want too and I love the game and have been keeping up with it ever since the first twp episodes were free for PS+. Ugh not sure what to do. Going to buy the game day one no matter what but $70 is kind of steep......eh ugh damn it.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']I'm pretty sure it will go the other way, just like the DOA5 CE...[/quote]

dangit, meant to say "won't be half price". So I agree with you

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Just an FYI, that book (the compendium) in the collector's set has been out for a while. They are just releasing a new cover for this edition. If you're really interested in getting into the comics there are easier ways. The Walking Dead is being published in various formats.

1) the compendium (which is gigantically fat)
4500e03ae7a0f922f9fa1210.L._AA300_.jpg

2) the hardcovers (which I prefer, for their modest size and quality)
41Frd-eDWqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

3) the omnibus collector's hardcover (which is a gigantic fat hardcover)
61Ml8ntzYgL._AA300_.jpg

4) and the average collected trade paper back
71AVVKsjVvL._AA300_.jpg

My books on my shelf are mostly the hard covers #2. I have alot of the regular trades (#4). I also have one of the omnibus hardcovers. And I have all the single issues after that. I've held the compendium that they're offering in this Telltalle collector's edition. I just think it's too big, too unwieldly and costly. I'd suggest to anyone interested in reading the story to buy the single trades (#4) they're only $9 each.

The story just passed issue #100 in the single issues and the story is still going strong.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
1) doesn't this set include the #1 you listed?
2) makes sense what you're saying about the books being huge and easier to read but #100 issues X $9 = $900. This set @ $70 now and pick up compendium #2 for say $45 down the road is easier to swallow.

[quote name='shadowkast']This set @ $70 now and pick up compendium #2 for say $45 down the road is easier to swallow.[/QUOTE]

Both compendium one and two are $35.99 each on Amazon and cover issues #1 - #96. I doubt this one will be worth anything. If you're looking to get both the compendium and the game, there's no reason not to get the CE. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

Someone show me this post in six months so I can slap myself if it does end up being worth something.

just a heads up. This game has no inverted Y axis options. I bought this POS and can't get used with this stupid scheme.
So if you can't play games like you used to play 20 years ago, do not buy it.
I just wasted 20 bucks on psn, since I can't get used to play this

[quote name='shadowkast']Thanks for the info.
1) doesn't this set include the #1 you listed?
2) makes sense what you're saying about the books being huge and easier to read but #100 issues X $9 = $900. This set @ $70 now and pick up compendium #2 for say $45 down the road is easier to swallow.[/QUOTE]

The smaller trades contain 5-6 issues, enough to finish a story arc and are about $9 on amazon. Currently, the series is up to trad vol 16. which contains #91-96.

Comics off the shelf for the Walking Dead are sold at $2.99 each newstand price.

The book in the Tell Tale collector's edition is TWD: Compendium vol one which contains issues 1-48. It's currently selling for $35 on amazon.

I was at gamestop on Saturday and the guy was telling me how good a deal this is. The problem is I can get both cheaper, and I know that this game will be $15 or even $10 come Steam holiday sale. If they included S1 of the show, or both books, then I would be all over this.

My GF was interested in this but then again mainly just for the comics because she already owns the first episode of the game but has not played it yet. So I will probably buy one of the comic book compendiums and read through it, then give it to her as her present. Then buy the game during the $10 holiday sale.

bread's done
Back