ipad mini vs nexus 7

confoosious

CAGiversary!
Feedback
79 (99%)
(Fanboys and haters can move along... I need some real advice)

I've been waiting for this announcement so now it's time to make a decision.

For those who caught the streaming presentation, Schiller seemed to make it a point to compare the ipad mini to the Nexus 7 and of course the presentation made the iPad mini out to be much better.

But I'm not sure why the screenshots made the nexus look to be crappier when it has better resolution. did I miss something? (the stream kept crapping out on me.)

[quote name='confoosious'](Fanboys and haters can move along... I need some real advice)

I've been waiting for this announcement so now it's time to make a decision.

For those who caught the streaming presentation, Schiller seemed to make it a point to compare the ipad mini to the Nexus 7 and of course the presentation made the iPad mini out to be much better.

But I'm not sure why the screenshots made the nexus look to be crappier when it has better resolution. did I miss something? (the stream kept crapping out on me.)[/QUOTE]

I think
Engadget had a pretty good review of the specs.

Just to come right out and say it, almost any Android device is going to give better specs. Period. Apple isn't about specs, they're about the software. And personally, I've had a much better experience with my iPad 1 than with the (more powerful) Android tablets I've tried. iOS is just much better than even ICS in my opinion. (I just moved from an ICS phone to iPhone with iOS 6).

The price is also a deciding factor, but honestly, the only way to know is to use them. Go to the store and play with them. Or better yet, borrow one from a friend. Borrow an iPad and borrow an Android tablet. You'll make a decision pretty quickly on which one you like better.

I think it depends what you use it for most will be the determining factor. I had an Ipad 1 and didn't really like it. If you use a lot of Google stuff, you'll be much happier with the Nexus 7.

It simply came down to price for me. I can stream movies, read comics, browse the web, tweet, even play a few games for $200 on my Nexus 7. What do you want to do with either tablet, and which has better apps to support those activities?

honestly, I'm just using it as a couch surfing device, which is why I'm leaning towards the nexus 7.

Although I had the HP Touchpad for a few months and that pissed me off to no end. I figured "hey, I just want to surf the web, what's the difference?" It was frustrating to use. And yeah I realize Android is supposed to be much better than WebOS.

As long as Jelly bean doesn't piss me off, I can't think of a reason to get the ipad mini. And I'm about as much of an Apple fan as any.

I can't help you as I don't have first hand experience with a Nexus 7. Here's a monkey wrench, though: refurb 3rd gen "retina" iPads are now starting at $379! Refurbs from the apple store as good as new IMHO, and carry full warranty.

Main advantage to the iPad is app selection--over 275,000 tablet optimized apps.

I have an iPad 2 and love it and use it every day--both for leisure stuff and work related things. No interest in the mini though as I need the bigger screen for a lot of the PDF docs are I read and mark up on it.

But for a simple couch surfing device, something cheaper like the Nexus 7 is the way to go since app selection doesn't matter much if your uses are very simple (web, e-mail, simple games etc.).

I was actually really dissapointed in the ipad mini unveil today. I'm a big fan of my Nexus 7, but was seriously considering an ipad mini since my wife and i do a lot of iOS gaming. I know this will make me look a bit foolish, but I was truly shocked at the ipad mini pricing. I figured it would be $300 since it is basically a smaller ipad 2, which is 2 year old tech at this point. I personally can't stomach $330 for a smaller ipad 2.

I will say that I'm a big fan of the Nexus 7 form factor, and can wholly recommend it as a "couch surfer" since that's how I use it. I just can't get behind the ipad mini at that price point when my Nexus 7 is just as awesome with a less robust app ecosystem.

I was going to say what crunchewy said - decent deal on the relatively new ipads in the refurb store:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad3/wi_fi

Personally, I enjoy the size of the ipad screen and I'm not sure if I'd like the smaller 7" devices. I haven't owned one though - just played around with them in the store.

I was also a bit surprised at the pricing for the mini - just a bit too high I think. I was guessing 249 or 299 at most for entry level.

I don't really get the whole argument over tablet optimized apps. Yeah some do look a little off, but most everything I use looks fine on my N7. I think that issue if fairly overblown, probably by folks who haven't actually used an Android tablet.

[quote name='randomevent']I was actually really dissapointed in the ipad mini unveil today. I'm a big fan of my Nexus 7, but was seriously considering an ipad mini since my wife and i do a lot of iOS gaming. I know this will make me look a bit foolish, but I was truly shocked at the ipad mini pricing. I figured it would be $300 since it is basically a smaller ipad 2, which is 2 year old tech at this point. I personally can't stomach $330 for a smaller ipad 2.
[/QUOTE]

I only glanced at the announcement, but doesn't it have the retina screen of the iPad 3 (or iPad HD--whatever you want to call this spring's update), and a processor even faster than that model?

Rather than having the lower res screen and older processor of the iPad 2?

I think the iPad mini is something I'd have to try before passing judgement. I'm sure the build quality is going to be very high. The screen is larger than the Nexus 7" vs 7.9", and 4:3.

But if I were to get one I'd want it for apps and such too, and I like iOS, so of course I'd go with the iPad mini if I were to get one, and I might in the future, as a 2nd device for the family. Not any time soon, though.

Yeah, iPad mini has same rez as iPad 2, although since the screen is smaller that means a higher pixels per inch, but not retina.

[quote name='randomevent']Nope. It has the resolution of the ipad 2 (non retina) and the A5 chip that is in the ipad 2.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected then. Must have mixed that up with the info on the updated 9.7" iPad.

[quote name='Clak']I don't really get the whole argument over tablet optimized apps. Yeah some do look a little off, but most everything I use looks fine on my N7. I think that issue if fairly overblown, probably by folks who haven't actually used an Android tablet.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. It's more app selection overall than the optimization issue I was getting at. But even that's just down to the person. If all the apps you need are on both platforms (and they will be for most people) even that's moot.

My deciding factor when I got the iPad 2 was that android tablets where hell bent on all being 16x9, which is useless for ny needs as it's too narrow in portrait orientation for a lot of the PDF docs I read and mark up. I almost never use my iPad in landscape as I'd rather do net surfing on my ultrabook, video on my TV etc. so I mainly just use it for reading PDFs for work and reading newspapers.

That and I just like the simple OS etc. of Apple. I'm not all that tech savvy, don't care at all about tweaking/customization etc. so the iOS platform just fit my needs/wants more than Android for my tablet and phone needs. I'm just not a huge tech fan despite having a bunch of gadgets. If I had a time machine I'd jump back and do something like anthropology so I could do more outdoor work and not be so tied to computers and gadgets for work and leisure. :D

All that said, again the Nexus is the way to go for simple use like couch surfing for sure. Or a Kindle Fire--but I see no reason to buy that since it's locked into Amazon's App store and OS version, and the HD version costs the same as the Nexus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously I don't have any experience with the Ipad Mini (nor will I, since I generally stay away from Apple products). I fucking love the Nexus 7 though, pretty much nothing but praise. So nice to finally have an Android device that gets updates as soon as they are available, as well.

Was a little worried that the new Kindle would surpass it back before anyone knew anything about it, but that has turned out to be a non-issue.

If you're looking to buy sooner than later and 8 or 16GB isn't enough for you, be aware that a 32GB version of the Nexus 7 will be announced on the 29th, with release shortly thereafter (if not right away). There will be a standard 32GB version and a version with 3G. Not sure why they didn't go 4G, could be associated with keeping the cost down (which hasn't been announced yet).

[quote name='Access_Denied']Just to come right out and say it, almost any Android device is going to give better specs. Period. Apple isn't about specs, they're about the software. And personally, I've had a much better experience with my iPad 1 than with the (more powerful) Android tablets I've tried. iOS is just much better than even ICS in my opinion. (I just moved from an ICS phone to iPhone with iOS 6).

The price is also a deciding factor, but honestly, the only way to know is to use them. Go to the store and play with them. Or better yet, borrow one from a friend. Borrow an iPad and borrow an Android tablet. You'll make a decision pretty quickly on which one you like better.[/QUOTE]

I borrowed an ipad from work and I was not impressed at all. I don't get why its considered intuitive. Just a few things that really irked me and frustrated me.
1. Adding an attachment is not intuitive and native to email client. Took me a while to figure out that I had to go to Adobe Reader to email attachment and from there it was not obvious.

2. Typing web addresses in Safari. Have to delete ENTIRE url and not able to delete part of it and make changes. Also, Safari can't seem to handle facebook and youtube and crashes constantly. Not a problem on my Android.

3. Can't drag and drop files to ipad. Forced to use iTunes. That's hardly efficient.

That's just some of the problems I've noticed. This is hardly intuitive. Also, the lack of a menu button or option is just horrible. I understand "simplicity" is their thing but its more simplistic than any of that. All this looks like is an attempt to really control the user experience.

Regarding 2 - you press and hold to place the cursor and can move it around (you get magnifying glass view). You can put the cursor wherever you want and delete. You don't have to delete entire URL. Also, once you have done that you get a menu, one of which is "Select", which will select the word you are currently in, so don't even have to be that accurate. Oh, and you can also double-tap to select a word. Lastly, once you have anything selected, you can drag the selection end-things (it's obvious when you see it) to adjust the selection.

For getting files on iPad, I use Dropbox. Works great.

[quote name='joeboosauce']I borrowed an ipad from work and I was not impressed at all. I don't get why its considered intuitive. Just a few things that really irked me and frustrated me.
1. Adding an attachment is not intuitive and native to email client. Took me a while to figure out that I had to go to Adobe Reader to email attachment and from there it was not obvious.

2. Typing web addresses in Safari. Have to delete ENTIRE url and not able to delete part of it and make changes. Also, Safari can't seem to handle facebook and youtube and crashes constantly. Not a problem on my Android.

3. Can't drag and drop files to ipad. Forced to use iTunes. That's hardly efficient.

That's just some of the problems I've noticed. This is hardly intuitive. Also, the lack of a menu button or option is just horrible. I understand "simplicity" is their thing but its more simplistic than any of that. All this looks like is an attempt to really control the user experience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that type of stuff is my only gripe with the iPad. Some stuff isn't very intuitive. But there are work arounds for most.

Not the e-mail attachment one though, that's something they need to change.

But URLs can be editied, just have to touch and hold a second until the little magnifier thing pops up that lets you move the cursor.

File loading is easiest when done with Dropbox. Just drag and drop to Dropbox on your computer and you can then open it in the Dropbox app on the iPad and send it to whatever app. I use this a ton--have my PDF library for work on dropbox and synced to the Goodreader PDF app on the iPad. Awesome for having all my research articles with me everywhere rather than having to lug around printouts.

Are you guys serious about using Dropbox? That has to be the most inefficient, around the world way of transferring a file. I've done it in a pinch when I've had to, but I can't imagine it being my standard way of transferring a file. Then again, my memories of itunes is so bad that maybe it is better to use Dropbox.

[quote name='randomevent']I was actually really dissapointed in the ipad mini unveil today. I'm a big fan of my Nexus 7, but was seriously considering an ipad mini since my wife and i do a lot of iOS gaming. I know this will make me look a bit foolish, but I was truly shocked at the ipad mini pricing. I figured it would be $300 since it is basically a smaller ipad 2, which is 2 year old tech at this point. I personally can't stomach $330 for a smaller ipad 2.

I will say that I'm a big fan of the Nexus 7 form factor, and can wholly recommend it as a "couch surfer" since that's how I use it. I just can't get behind the ipad mini at that price point when my Nexus 7 is just as awesome with a less robust app ecosystem.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with you. I was expecting it to be priced at $300 heck maybe even surprise us and have it at 279.99. The $329.99 price surprised me though. I've been wanting a tablet for a while and will probably bite on an android tablet. Probably wait until Black Friday and see if it brings anything cheaper. I've also heard rumors of Google phasing out the 8 GB Nexus 7 and bringing down the 16gb to 199.99. Of course, those are just rumors and nothing will be confirmed until Monday the 29th when Google has its own media event.

I don't know if I can be considered "not a fanboy" but I'd Definitely get the N7, but what till the 29th for the possible price drop and new size capacity.

[quote name='Clak']Are you guys serious about using Dropbox? That has to be the most inefficient, around the world way of transferring a file. I've done it in a pinch when I've had to, but I can't imagine it being my standard way of transferring a file. Then again, my memories of itunes is so bad that maybe it is better to use Dropbox.[/QUOTE]

Dropbox is awesome--have you only used the website?

If you download the Dropbox software to the PC, then all you do is put files in there and they'll automatically download to all your other PCs that have the Dropbox software on it when they go online. Stores the files both in the cloud and downloads them locally on all the computers.

I love it and use it for all my non-confidential work stuff as it's so much easier to keep all my files synced on my work desktop, laptop and home desktop as it's all automated. Vs. before with lugging around a portable harddrive etc.

With the iOS app its not automated, but if you have a net connection you just open the app and can get to all the files in there and open them and send them to whatever app is needed.

[quote name='crunchewy']I can't help you as I don't have first hand experience with a Nexus 7. Here's a monkey wrench, though: refurb 3rd gen "retina" iPads are now starting at $379! Refurbs from the apple store as good as new IMHO, and carry full warranty.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if anyone here wants my iPad 3 for $400, hit me up. 32 gb wi-if only, black. Mint condition, zero scratches, 6 months old.

Dropbox is fantastic. I can only presume that those who had a different experience didn't install the PC/Mac software that makes it seamless. Actually the main thing I use it for is to store my secure password database. Then I have access to it on all my computers. I wish SplashID iOS would let me read its database directly from Dropbox, but that's a shortcoming of the app. Some other password apps allow that. The desktop app allows it, but not the iOS app. I'd switch, but the problem is that isn't easy - sooooo many passwords, and my attempts to import to other such programs didn't go so great. So I have to (wirelessly at least) sync to my iPad/iPhone, but at least I can do so from any computer.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Dropbox is awesome--have you only used the website?

If you download the Dropbox software to the PC, then all you do is put files in there and they'll automatically download to all your other PCs that have the Dropbox software on it when they go online. Stores the files both in the cloud and downloads them locally on all the computers.

I love it and use it for all my non-confidential work stuff as it's so much easier to keep all my files synced on my work desktop, laptop and home desktop as it's all automated. Vs. before with lugging around a portable harddrive etc.

With the iOS app its not automated, but if you have a net connection you just open the app and can get to all the files in there and open them and send them to whatever app is needed.[/QUOTE]
No I'm very familiar with Dropbox and use it to store lots of things. What I'm saying is that if you're using it just to get a file onto your device, you're taking a very inefficient and around the world approach to it. Use it store things sure, so you can access them anywhere, but if you're just trying to get a file onto a device, find a better way. It's akin to using a cell phone to call somebody upstairs in your home.

[quote name='Clak']No I'm very familiar with Dropbox and use it to store lots of things. What I'm saying is that if you're using it just to get a file onto your device, you're taking a very inefficient and around the world approach to it. Use it store things sure, so you can access them anywhere, but if you're just trying to get a file onto a device, find a better way. It's akin to using a cell phone to call somebody upstairs in your home.[/QUOTE]

True I guess.

But other that cloud apps there's no way to get files on iOS devices other than drag and drop from itunes. I assume Android is the same way other than not needing specific software.

I find it much easier to just use Dropbox than to have to plug into a computer via usb and drag and drop things over.

But I also use Dropbox a ton already, so it was just a logical step for me to also use it for my iPhone and iPad.

[quote name='Clak']No I'm very familiar with Dropbox and use it to store lots of things. What I'm saying is that if you're using it just to get a file onto your device, you're taking a very inefficient and around the world approach to it. Use it store things sure, so you can access them anywhere, but if you're just trying to get a file onto a device, find a better way. It's akin to using a cell phone to call somebody upstairs in your home.[/QUOTE]

Curious what you would suggest is the best way to get a file on a device?

[quote name='bordjon']Curious what you would suggest is the best way to get a file on a device?[/QUOTE]
I plug my phone into my PC, open it like a flash drive, copy pasta, done. I do ti with music all the time. I can't imagine trying to use Dropbox to get gigs worth of music onto a device, yikes.

Oh of course you use iTunes for that kind of stuff

Dropbox is just for occasional things like putting a document or two on the iPad. Easier to just put it in Dropbox than dig out the cable. Especially since apple devices don't use standard USB. So I can't drag and drop a file from my office computer as I don't have any apple cables there and my devices are linked to my home computer iTunes. But I can put a PDF article on Dropbox and instantly open it on my iPad.

You hear about how much simpler Apple products are, yet for even the most rudimentary things it seems they complicate the hell out of them. So let me get this straight, you can't just plug your i device into another computer running itunes and go? Sheesh. Well at least tyou can find the generic apple charging cables for cheap, though I guess that doesn't do you much good.

[quote name='Clak']You hear about how much simpler Apple products are, yet for even the most rudimentary things it seems they complicate the hell out of them. So let me get this straight, you can't just plug your i device into another computer running itunes and go? Sheesh. Well at least tyou can find the generic apple charging cables for cheap, though I guess that doesn't do you much good.[/QUOTE]

and go what?

[quote name='confoosious']and go what?[/QUOTE]
He said he couldn't just drag and drop files at his office.

Actually I believe you can use it at more than one computer and copy music and videos onto it, if you are willing to give up syncing, by turning on manual management. Then it's drag and drop, although it does require use of iTunes to do the dragging and dropping.

[quote name='Clak']You hear about how much simpler Apple products are, yet for even the most rudimentary things it seems they complicate the hell out of them. So let me get this straight, you can't just plug your i device into another computer running itunes and go? Sheesh. Well at least tyou can find the generic apple charging cables for cheap, though I guess that doesn't do you much good.[/QUOTE]

For the vast number of users who don't even know what a file is, it is much simpler. Consider the fact that most of the population doesn't even understand the concept of a computer file. Given that, I still find it fairly easy to use my iPad. There's a few quirks here and there, but Android has just as many. There's not any operation system that's "better" than the other, it's just all about the feel and your preference. Some people like the simplicity of iOS, some like the power of Android. Different strokes.

If you own a Mac and an iPhone, then go iPad.

If you own a PC and an Android phone, then go Nexus 7.

Applications native to a certain OS receive better support, and in some cases, more robust features.

As noted above I think you can if you give up syncing. It is a limitation, but I pretty much never do it. I don't have any music or videos on my iPad so I only sync it every once in a while to back things up.

My iPhone I just switch up some music a few times a year. But that's kind of moot anymore as I can just stream my music with the Audiogalaxy app if I leave my desktop on, and I just listen to Pandora most of the time anyway.

But yeah, that is one area that iOS gadgets can be a hassle. It turned me off at first. But then I realized I almost never need to put files on them anyway, and once I got sucked into Dropbox for syncing all my work files, and then saw how easy that was to use to get all my documents synced onto my iPad it became a non-issue for me.

It was just a small learning curve from being used to hooking things up to a computer and dragging and dropping. Now I hate using external hard drives, jump drives etc. as it's just more hassle than using Dropbox and other cloud services where once you get it set up all your PCs stay synced and you can also get to the files on all your mobile devices without having to tether them to a computer.

Just a matter of what one prefers I guess. I'll be happy when I never have to plug anything into a computer again. The less cords to have to lug around and deal with the better.

The iPad Mini announcement was the best Nexus 7 advertisement I've ever seen. I'll probably get one over the holiday season that's coming up.

My experience with my iPod Touch was enough to make sure that I'll never buy a new Apple product ever again.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The iPad Mini announcement was the best Nexus 7 advertisement I've ever seen[/QUOTE]

How so?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The price made me much more interested in the Nexus 7 than I was before.[/QUOTE]

That's understandable

I was just about to make a thread like this! Whew!

I'm also thinking of getting a tablet. I was one that can do a little bit of everything. Originally I had my eyes set on the surface, but reviews aren't so hot. So now I'm choosing between ipad mini and nexus 7 as well like TC.

I'm pretty sure both are great for entertainment, books, games, music. But what about work? Say I want to do a little spreadsheet, presentation, word, heck even a little picture editing, which is better for something like that?

[quote name='giantqtipz']I was just about to make a thread like this! Whew!

I'm also thinking of getting a tablet. I was one that can do a little bit of everything. Originally I had my eyes set on the surface, but reviews aren't so hot. So now I'm choosing between ipad mini and nexus 7 as well like TC.

I'm pretty sure both are great for entertainment, books, games, music. But what about work? Say I want to do a little spreadsheet, presentation, word, heck even a little picture editing, which is better for something like that?[/QUOTE]

a laptop.

those commercials where people are doing presentations on a samsung galaxy tab make me laugh.

[quote name='confoosious']a laptop.

those commercials where people are doing presentations on a samsung galaxy tab make me laugh.[/QUOTE]

Haha no no, I already have a laptop. I'd like to be able to perform quick light work with my tablet. Say I want to draft a presentation or a spreadsheet template very quickly while on the bus or subway (then transfer it to the PC). Which of the two is better for that?

I edit spreadsheets on my blackberry sometimes. Its a hassle, but it works.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Haha no no, I already have a laptop. I'd like to be able to perform quick light work with my tablet. Say I want to draft a presentation or a spreadsheet template very quickly while on the bus or subway (then transfer it to the PC). Which of the two is better for that?

I edit spreadsheets on my blackberry sometimes. Its a hassle, but it works.[/QUOTE]
The only difference between the BB and tablets is a bigger screen. It'll still be a big hassle either way.

[quote name='dohdough']The only difference between the BB and tablets is a bigger screen. It'll still be a big hassle either way.[/QUOTE]

alright thanks.

curious if anyone here is getting the surface?

bread's done
Back