- - - - -

Is a PS Vita worth it?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 NEWTS2012

NEWTS2012

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hey all, just had a quick question...
Do you think a PS Vita is good investment at this point in time???
I was looking at the game selection and Uncharted and the new Assassin's Creed interests me but outside of that I'm not sure what's coming down the pipeline...
I'm kinda on the fence about getting one right now but I just wanted to see the different opinions people have on it right now...

Thanks!

#2 jadomino

jadomino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I got one recently and love it, and I'm excited about the games coming out (Assassin, Persona 4 Golden, etc.)
Futureshop has the Vita + AC: Liberation + 4GB memory card bundle on sale right now with a $50 gift card (in-store purchase) or $50 rebate (online purchase), so I think now is a good time to get one!

Edited by jadomino, 26 October 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#3 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

If you find one for around $150 then it might be a good buy but at $250 it is not since you have to buy a memory card.

Game wise the Vita offers very little. Uncharted is okay but is nowhere near as good as the PS3 games.

The next big releases would be:
Assassins Creed Liberation
Ragnarok Odyssey
Persona 4 Golden
COD Black Ops Declassified
Playstation All Stars

And then no games are planned between December 11, 2012 till February 5th, 2013.

I have had one since Launch and have used it very little except for playing the occasional Hots Shot Golf.
c230fb8bbd924924db8824b92aa424e3_0cdf051<---FFXIVARR Character Lodestone
549917_4220482276976_99161570_n.jpg<---Trade Listclonesniper6.png

#4 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

You forgot about virtues last reward and that music tap game that I can't recall the name of at the moment lol.

#5 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

You forgot about virtues last reward and that music tap game that I can't recall the name of at the moment lol.

They are already out.

The good games that are out now:
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Hots Shots Golf World Invitational
Zero's Escape: Virtues Last Reward
Disgaea 3 (if you like the series)
Sound Shapes

That is all that really stood out as being solid games.

If you do not mind importing from Japan the you can add a few more titles to the list.

#6 spiderman4657

spiderman4657

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

If you have to ask if its worth it, it probably isn't.

#7 Wikkidkarma

Wikkidkarma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

I've had my Vita for about 3-4 months now and I love it. Golden Abyss was my favourite Uncharted game, and Mutant Blobs Attack will probably always be in my top 10 of downloadable titles.

On top of the retail releases that were mentioned above, there is also a steady stream of downloadable titles, as well as an increase in cross-platform games (playstation all-stars for example).

Also, if you've had a PSP in the past, they are steadily increasing the backwards comparability of PSP games released via PSN. if you haven't had one, this is a great opportunity to play some of the back catalogue.

The major factor is price of course. As a strong digital platform, a 4 gb memory card is a joke. I have an 8 gb and am constantly having to delete and juggle games. Long term you'll want to upgrade to a 32 gb as soon as possible, which is going to tack on another $100. I lucked out and got my system with a $50 discount from SDM and further rebated with optimum points.

The other factor is portability. The 3G model is coming to Canada very soon, so you may want to wait until it is here. I personally don't look at the Vita as a "portable" system primarily because it is a bit bulky and I'm paranoid about damaging the screen or analog sticks while it's in my pocket. Also, with wifi being so prevalent, online capability through 3G isn't so important unless you plan on doing a lot of multiplayer or using Netflix/browser etc on the go.

#8 CoachHines

CoachHines

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

If you have to ask if its worth it, it probably isn't.

This. Its different for everyone. While I can appreciate the sexy hardware, the software just doesn't do much for me and the memory card prices don't help much.

Ask yourself if you like the games, do you have a lot of games you're looking forward to in the future? If you have to have one, the Assassin's Creed bundle is a good buy.

Also not to sound like a fanboy but I'd recommend the 3DS at this point, it has far too many great games to be miss out on. The Vita right now is a wait and see situation to see what other games it gets.

#9 SickBoy

SickBoy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, I've been weighing this question too... Bottom line for me is I've got a ton of stuff to play, but if I didn't I'm not sure the software is enough yet (and there's no big-time killer app for me at this point) and I'd like it to be a little cheaper.

For the record, the 3G version is available in Canada now.

#10 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Nobody mentioned the MGS collection, they're only some of the best games of all time.

#11 Hung_real

Hung_real

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Not worth it at launch , but if you can find it now under $200 (with or without a memory card) I'd say go for it.

Especially when PS+ is coming next month (with free games!!) and a handful of killers title that would definitely satisfy any gamers taste.

As a PC and Console gamers that have picked up both 3DS and Vita at launch; Sony handheld definitely suit my gaming style much more than 3DS .

Don't worry too much about the memory card, you can always back up your data on a PC or PS3 and restore it anytime. I have a 8gb and never had any trouble with space on my Vita
Posted Image

#12 CoachHines

CoachHines

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Nobody mentioned the MGS collection, they're only some of the best games of all time.

Superior on consoles. Multiplats and crossbuy (which is nice if you have both PS3 and Vita) shouldn't be the selling points of the Vita. It can't be a console-hand-me-down experience, it needs to have its own identity.

#13 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

As for the memory card, you can always back up your data on a PC or PS3 and restore it anytime.

I forgot that if you erase the game/data from the Vita without backing up it permanently deletes it for most games, I had to start over in Hot Shots because of this.

Also MGS Collection is not the HD versions so not much point since it does not add anything, unlike the 3DS version of MGS 3 adding crouch walk.

#14 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Seems like you're trying to make Vita's library seem worse by disregarding good games for silly reasons. I don't own Vita but I know that a good game is a good game.

#15 Hung_real

Hung_real

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Also MGS Collection is not the HD versions so not much point since it does not add anything, unlike the 3DS version of MGS 3 adding crouch walk.

Say what you want but my MGS collection looks gorgeous on that little OLED screen :bouncy:

And I still hate Kojima for releasing MGS3DS , the texture are sub-par, the frame rate drop here and there .... and don't even get me start on the draw distance :-#
Posted Image

#16 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Say what you want but my MGS collection looks gorgeous on that little OLED screen :bouncy:

And I still hate Kojima for releasing MGS3DS , the texture are sub-par, the frame rate drop here and there .... and don't even get me start on the draw distance :-#

I wouldn't say the game doesn't look good but it is the same price a the PS3 collection and is 1 game short.

I also hate the 3DS version but th crouch walk was nice

#17 Jogurt the Yogurt

Jogurt the Yogurt

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Superior on consoles. Multiplats and crossbuy (which is nice if you have both PS3 and Vita) shouldn't be the selling points of the Vita.

Only relevant if the OP has a current-gen console. If we're listing the pros and cons of the Vita on its own merits, then any good game that's available on it, port or not, multiplatform or no, should be taken into consideration.

#18 NEWTS2012

NEWTS2012

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!!!
I do have a XBOX and PS3 but I was juggling the idea of a PS Vita cause the FS/BB deal right now... Oh first world problems!!! hahaha...

#19 chsnavi

chsnavi

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Stardust = awesome. Replay Value with the leader boards.

Free content comes out all the time via the psn. As mentioned earlier with Ps+ you can be guaranteed free games.

Memory cards are not THAT bad. I just picked up (amazon.ca sale) 3 4 gig cards for $15. They retail at $20 ea.

To date i own (never paying more then $20 a game) stardust, lumines, mortal kombat, MvC, Little deviants, wipeout 2048, Resistance, unit 13 .

Also for Cheap Accessories i suggest this: monoprice.com

Its also worth noting that because of the lackluster sales retailers are always having sales on their games. A large number of games are $20.

#20 poiuiu

poiuiu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Seems like you're trying to make Vita's library seem worse by disregarding good games for silly reasons. I don't own Vita but I know that a good game is a good game.

It's not a silly reason when PS3 MGSHDC is 720p, 60 fps and has Peace Walker over the PSV one, for the same price no less. That's the facts.

And I wouldn't bother with a PSV, personally, until next year when there's more games. Only thing I'm interested in is P4G, and that's something I already have. Ragnarok as well, but that's something I can wait for. If anything is going to make it a must have for me come the new year, it's Sony giving it a spotlight at a trade show and showing off new games for it.

#21 Robotron2084

Robotron2084

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I would wait until next year as well. My son has a Vita and it just doesn't get used. There were a few games but Sony's support for it has been lackluster. Hopefully that changes in the future.
Besides next year it will be cheaper and all the games you want will be cheaper and there will be more games added to the list by then. Besides this place is about being a cheap ass.

#22 True Kronic

True Kronic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

PS Vita is my main hand held since I got it (and secondary gaming platform behind 360 - and I pretty much got em all), and it only keeps getting better.

Right now I'd say it's my 2nd favorite hand held of all time, behind GBA....they could honestly stop making games tomorrow, and I'd be happy with my purchase. I don't touch my PSP, 3DS, GBAs, or DSi any more.

Games like Silent Hill Book of Memories or Mutant Blobs Attack may not be for the average Angry Birds/Call of Duty gamer...but if you got an open mind & want more original/creative games, they're some of the best hand held experiecnces I've had....and I've owned every main platform and have been gaming since the 80's...

#23 True Kronic

True Kronic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

But honestly, you should just compare Vita with it's direct competition - iPad/Andriod & 3DS.

Little Big Plant Vita, Mortal Kombat, Uncharted, Rayman Origins, Capcom's fighters, Blaze Blue, Gravity Rush, WipeOut 2048, Virtua Tennis 4, MGS HD Collection, Mutant Blobs, Sound Shapes, Zen Pinball 2 (hands down the best version), Pinball Arcade, etc...are so far above & beyond anything similar on competing platforms it`s ridiculous.

That’s not even considering PSP and PSOne backwards compatibility...

#24 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Go Kings!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

I don't think it is worth it at this time.

I had a Vita for a good 3 months before selling the system and games on amazon.

Most of the good games are ports/Vita versions of PS3 titles which in my honest opinion play much better using a PS3 controller rather than the small Vita control sticks and buttons. Playing MGS Collection, UMVC3, and Uncharted felt awkward in the hand and most of time I ended up turning the system off to play the much preferred PS3 version. The one game I did enjoy was Gravity Rush, although again it is an experience that can be found similarly on the PS3 (Crackdown, Infamous) and alone it is not worth spending $150-$200 on a handheld for.

Until an adequate library of games made to play on the Vita is made I don't think it is worth picking up at this time.

I'd recommend a PS3 and a PSP to someone before they pick up a Vita.

And the reason I have my PSP as opposed to the Vita is because it is much more portable.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#25 Tetsugen

Tetsugen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

The ability to play most of my favorite PSone games made it worth it.

#26 poiuiu

poiuiu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

You can already do that on PSP... and years before PSV and PS1 bc launched.

#27 cheapbrokegamer

cheapbrokegamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Not worth it. My favorite game on the Vita is Mutant Blobs attack, which can be purchased on PC. PS Vita is currently all flash, no substance. Controls for Uncharted leave something to be desired. Fighting in Gravity Rush is horrible, because of the controls. Haven't tried Little Big Planet, but I have never been too invested in that franchise. Too scared to buy resistance because of the horrible reviews. MGS HD collection is alright, but that game has been rereleased so many times already. I won't buy mainly to play PS games. I want to play new games that make us of the technology. PS one games are for nostalgia, but its not your main course.

Anyways, I wish I could sell you my Vita, that I hardly use. Im too scared to mail such an expensive item to a buyer. Im not much of a physical seller.
8-) Head BrokeAss

#28 stevo1002

stevo1002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Bought one at release and have been thoroughly disappointed. It seemed like there were going to be a whole bunch of great games, but most ended up lackluster with little I want on the horizon. The games I have:

Uncharted - was amusing for a while but got bored of the same style missions about halfway through
Modnation Racers - It was cheap, but I still prefer mario kart controls
Wipeout 2048 - I enjoy these games, but they always have a sharp learning curve if you don't play it frequently enough
Ninja Gaiden - Good game, but nothing really new if you've played it
Army Corps of Hell - worth maybe $5
Fifa Soccer - I like the use of touch controls, but the rear touchpad becomes annoying, because your player tries to shoot if you actually rest a finger on it
Lego Batman 2- terrible port of the 3ds version ( I miss the original star wars trilogy on the psp)
Unit 13- was fun, but I don't keep up with leaderboards
Resistance- Was a really boring story and game in general
Hot Shots golf - one of my favorite franchises, but not really a reason to buy the console
Gravity Rush- Interesting controls and story, but fighting is a pain
Lumines- Another one of my favorite franchises, but again not enough of a reason to buy the system
Metal Gear Solid - The touch controls really didn't add anything, so unless you need this portable buy the HD collection ( you said you had a ps3)
Little Big Planet- Just getting into it, but it is holding my attention better than the other 3 in this series
Escape Plan - Fun but short lived
Mutant Blobs Attack - Probably my favorite game on the console.

Overall the titles have been pretty mediocre (either lack of story or poor controls). I love playstation, but similar to the psp they have proven they don't understand pacing for portable games. If I have a few minutes of down time I can't pull this out and play a mission. I have to save (if possible) in the middle and pick it up later when I have to remember what was going on. If you want a portable console I would suggest the DS or 3DS. The games tend to be better pacing, there is a lot bigger game collection, the prices tend to be cheaper for the quality, and the battery life allows you to leave it on and come back to it sometimes days later.

Sorry this was such a long post. I don't want this system to fail, as its abilities are amazing (and I want them to continue making better games). But the game content and prices are just ridiculous right now for what you have to look forward to.

#29 Hybrid5006

Hybrid5006

White Trash Ballin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Got mine for $110 used on cowboom... not sure if that was worth it

#30 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Got mine for $110 used on cowboom... not sure if that was worth it

Not bad since it is a really nice piece of hardware. I think I only had $120 in my 3G Vita and 16GB memory card at launch thanks to BestBuy last year.

If you can get a Vita for $100-$150 I would say it is a good deal, even better if you can get a memory card with it.